All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Let's be honest:

Story comes out that suggests medical complications for football players with covid, and
the "let them play" crowd immediately starts screaming that the information is not valid.

BUT - if the same source had said he found absolutely no correlation between covid, football and heart issues, the "let them play" crowd would be screaming for games to begin yesterday, validity be damned.

it's all the same old sack of dung. if something agrees with my point of view, it's true. if something does not agree with my point of view, it's biased or unreliable.

Let's be honest:

Story comes out that suggests medical complications for football players with covid, and
the "let them play" crowd immediately starts screaming that the information is not valid.

BUT - if the same source had said he found absolutely no correlation between covid, football and heart issues, the "let them play" crowd would be screaming for games to begin yesterday, validity be damned.

it's all the same old sack of dung. if something agrees with my point of view, it's true. if something does not agree with my point of view, it's biased or unreliable.
Agreed 100%. And PE is the worst violator of them all. Gaslight anything he doesn't like.

He's a nobody though. No credibility. Just does it for kicks on GH.

Bolded - yes, and that's precisely it. That's what he's qualified to discuss, the medicines/therapies that a doctor would prescribe for a myocarditis patient. NOT the scientific aspects of why myocarditis caused by covid is not of concern enough to warrant postponing athletic activities.
You simply don’t know what your talking about and clearly have no knowledge of healthcare

SI says that Daniels' study is awaiting peer-review (that was at the end of August).

Guess who won't be reviewing it? Ackerman. Because he isn't a scientist in that field.

You said it was published. It hasn’t been. The same issues with taking percentages at face value apply: characteristics and number of subjects, potential selection bias, grading criteria and methodology.

That percentage conflicts with other (anecdotal) numbers out of university and professional leagues. Of course COVID heart complications will happen - what is the rate and relevance?

as to ethnicity - I am a Norwegian/Swedish Lutheran who grew up in a small farming community in rural Minnesota.

In other words, I am the whitest person in the world. and I mean that literally. I do not tan. if I spend any time out in the sun, I burn, peel, and then I'm ghostly-white again.

Quit making stuff up. We all had the same initial information. As we dig deeper, we find that it is from 3 month study that will be publish after it finishes peer review (like all accredited scientific articles) by Dr Curt Daniels at Ohio State. The PSU advisor made a mistake and said that it was 30-35% when in fact it is 15%. That is still a very high number. The study use cardiac MRI's which are not routinely done at other universities because of availability and cost.

Here is a link to the story:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/sports/ncaafootball/college-football-myocarditis-coronavirus.html

You have learned nothing. I believe it was you that posted an absurdly misleading study the other night in the Alabama thread.

Until you have the actual study paper in hand and can examine their methodology and NUMBERS you have nothing.

Let’s see it.

Let's be honest:

In this case the percentage stated was the load of dung, and the physician spoke out of turn and is probably feeling pretty stupid right now.

If all the other B1G schools play except these 4, do, transfers flood out from those schools? Or is it too late? If P.J. Fleck and the A.D. are pushing to play and we refuse, I'll be worried about his long-term commitment to the Gophers.

Yeah, that’s a doomsday scenario for the program I’m afraid. I’d guess they’ll fold in quickly if the rest of the conference proceeds. Have to wait on Sir Yacht’s prediction 😆

Yacht guy says this. Yeah, I know he hasn’t been right about everything. If he’s wrong about this time, he should delete his account.

Nevermind the prediction. Love the handle. How can we doubt Sir Yacht’s sources? Reminds me of a guy years ago in an In and Out parking lot, wry sense of humor driving a late 80s era Hyundai s***box with LKR CEO plate.

You said it was published. It hasn’t been. The same issues with taking percentages at face value apply: characteristics and number of subjects, potential selection bias, grading criteria and methodology.

That percentage conflicts with other (anecdotal) numbers out of university and professional leagues. Of course COVID heart complications will happen - what is the rate and relevance?
I didn't say anything was published, in fact I clarified that it was (still, I assume) awaiting peer-review. You're confusing me with another poster.

It is a study, conducted at Ohio State. You will be free to scrutinize it when it is published. Apparently, it claims 15%. I guess you will make up your own conclusions when you read it ... elbow to elbow with your client Ackerman?

Neat. I should make up stuff with no backing except "sources", and get a bunch of Twitter followers for doing literally nothing, too!

Yeah, he either has the goods, or he’s the biggest Twitter troll in the history of mankind. We’ll find out soon!

Pompous lives up to his nom de plume and has an instant ODD response to anyone in authority.
If he had some scientific or medical knowledge he could have said:
Were the radiologists blinded when they read the images?
That is they did not know what group they came from.
Was there a control group of athletes that did not have the virus?
Was there a control group that had the virus but are not athletes?
Was there a control group that are not athletes and did not have the virus?
What tests of cardiac function were done in all of the groups?
Hopefully this data will be available when they are published in respectable scientific journal.
Until then they are merely observations but still must be taken into account in making decisions about the health of athletes playing a game.
And it just a game-not world peace and the sun will come up tomorrow even if the BIG does not play.

Pompous lives up to his nom de plume and has an instant ODD response to anyone in authority.
If he had some scientific or medical knowledge he could have said:
Were the radiologists blinded when they read the images?
That is they did not know what group they came from.
Was there a control group of athletes that did not have the virus?
Was there a control group that had the virus but are not athletes?
Was there a control group that are not athletes and did not have the virus?
What tests of cardiac function were done in all of the groups?
Hopefully this data will be available when they are published in respectable scientific journal.
Until then they are merely observations but still must be taken into account in making decisions about the health of athletes playing a game.
And it just a game-not world peace and the sun will come up tomorrow even if the BIG does not play.

Would doubt there is a control group. Probably just reporting cardiac MRI findings of the recovered individuals. If it really is 15% and the study is replicated, I'd be concerned (as a player).

Yeah, he either has the goods, or he’s the biggest Twitter troll in the history of mankind. We’ll find out soon!

This all seems far fetched to me but I guess Friday is the big reveal. Nebraska proving to be a major headache to the Big 10.

Top Bottom