All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Washington State has basically “cut” all the players supporting the movement, from participating on the team. Wow!

Could be very messy.

Might give some players something to think about before diving into that themselves.

I’ve never heard of a first round pick that voluntarily sat out of their 3rd season.

I would think that’d be reason enough for many NFL teams to shy away.

If NFL teams think a prospect has talent they will Draft them. All it takes is 1 (not many) to value a players skills.

Bateman again. Anyone seriously think he’s playing (if they even have games)?

Somebody might want to tell Jevon that entertainment is precisely what college/pro football is. Without fans, there would be pretty much nothing. Football is a television show, plain and simple.

Washington State has basically “cut” all the players supporting the movement, from participating on the team. Wow!

Could be very messy.

Might give some players something to think about before diving into that themselves.
I understood cutting the player who opted to not play the season, however it looks like they cut players who intended to play, but were showing their support for the movement as well, which is going to be messy. What are the rules around cutting a player that was otherwise going to play? Usually that requires a team rules violation correct? Or does it differ from program to program?

I actually think most of these players want to play (they are competitors), but people are in their ear. These are grown men, but still young enough to be very impressionable. There’s definitely a movement to get the college football season canceled.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Bateman or maybe even Morgan don the Maroon and Gold again. If a fall season occurs (doubtful), it's looking like there will be several high projected draft picks sitting out; similar to the bowl game trend. The NFL won't look down on them for avoiding COVID.

If the season gets moved to Spring 2021, they might still sit out as the NFL draft occurs April 29.
For this reason, I feel it's fall football or nothing.

Somebody might want to tell Jevon that entertainment is precisely what college/pro football is. Without fans, there would be pretty much nothing. Football is a television show, plain and simple.

This isn't pro football where they are getting paid big bucks to risk their bodies.

While it's entertainment to you and us, it's a young person's life at risk. That's kind of the point of his tweet.

Your attitude is kinda straight out of "Gladiator" or "The Running Man"

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Bateman or maybe even Morgan don the Maroon and Gold again. If a fall season occurs (doubtful), it's looking like there will be several high projected draft picks sitting out; similar to the bowl game trend. The NFL won't look down on them for avoiding COVID.

If the season gets moved to Spring 2021, they might still sit out as the NFL draft occurs April 29.

I'm nearly certain if the P5 seasons got moved to spring, the NFL draft would be delayed until summer. All these players getting drafted come from college football and I'm sure the execs and scouts evaluating players would much rather delay the draft a couple months as opposed to looking at film from two seasons ago and trying to project off that.

This isn't pro football where they are getting paid big bucks to risk their bodies.

While it's entertainment to you and us, it's a young person's life at risk. That's kind of the point of his tweet.

I see what you're saying but no one is forcing him to play football either. He's getting a free education and free training for the NFL (have no idea if he's a prospect) by being an entertainer. He has the option to not play and not risk his health, just like a lot of players stop playing due to concussion risks.

I actually think most of these players want to play (they are competitors), but people are in their ear. These are grown men, but still young enough to be very impressionable. There’s definitely a movement to get the college football season canceled.
They are working with the guy who organized the college football players union initiative and I believe got a secret ballot vote at NW a couple years ago (or whenever it was).

I'm nearly certain if the P5 seasons got moved to spring, the NFL draft would be delayed until summer. All these players getting drafted come from college football and I'm sure the execs and scouts evaluating players would much rather delay the draft a couple months as opposed to looking at film from two seasons ago and trying to project off that.
But they’re not going to delay the start of the 2021 season. So they’d be compressing a bunch of off-season stuff, or cancelling some of it.

If you move the draft back to June ... don’t rookie mini-camps usually happen in May?

But they’re not going to delay the start of the 2021 season. So they’d be compressing a bunch of off-season stuff, or cancelling some of it.

If you move the draft back to June ... don’t rookie mini-camps usually happen in May?

Yeah, clearly everyone would have to make adjustments. The NBA 2021 season will start later due to their playoffs and draft being delayed. I just don't think it's realistic that NFL teams are going to draft seven rounds of players with no recent film to evaluate. These are developing young men. Outside of the surefire stars, these college players change/grow quite a bit in a year or working out and competing.

I see what you're saying but no one is forcing him to play football either. He's getting a free education and free training for the NFL (have no idea if he's a prospect) by being an entertainer. He has the option to not play and not risk his health, just like a lot of players stop playing due to concussion risks.

Sure, it's free will. I just think the way Ogee phrased it - "it's a television show" - is an example of why this concern is being expressed by the college players

Good point. One could hope.

Even if they do, I would expect a lot of 1st rounders to sit out. Normally you have at least 3.5 months between Bowl Games and the draft and even then many skip the Bowl Games. A college season that ends in March/April would end only 2-2.5 months before the draft. Early June is the absolute latest I could see the NFL pushing it out.

I just don’t see any way they’re not going to try to have fall football. Not confident they’ll finish the season, but they’ll try to start it up.

How much worse can it get than the last few weeks? And that hasn’t caused them to push the button.

Only thing I can see is if flu/cold season causes people to be more susceptible to die from cv19, even young adults too. Then you could see mass cancellations, but that probably wouldn’t be until after the start of the season.

I just don’t see any way they’re not going to try to have fall football. Not confident they’ll finish the season, but they’ll try to start it up.

How much worse can it get than the last few weeks? And that hasn’t caused them to push the button.

Only thing I can see is if flu/cold season causes people to be more susceptible to die from cv19, even young adults too. Then you could see mass cancellations, but that probably wouldn’t be until after the start of the season.
I don't think that's why they haven't "pushed the button." With the non-conference cancelled there's no reason for them to decide anything for a few more weeks. I still think it's no better than 50/50 there will be actual games.

I don't think that's why they haven't "pushed the button." With the non-conference cancelled there's no reason for them to decide anything for a few more weeks. I still think it's no better than 50/50 there will be actual games.
That’s probably right, I guess. But my point is, I don’t think that the current state or whenever the peak was the last couple weeks, was enough to scare them off, if they had to make the decision then. And I don’t see it getting massively worse, but I’ve been surprised before. I guess. If more oof these parties/super-events happen more often, as Birx was warning against, maybe it will.

That's the beautiful thing about this country. You have so many choices that are yours alone to make. Nobody making anyone play college football.

At the end of the day, the chances of sustaining a serious physical injury, career ending injury, lifelong debilitating injury, CTE, etc are INFINITELY higher than incurring serious health issues due to COVID.

Your analogy is kind of wonky; I do believe in both Gladiator and The Running Man, those guys weren't exactly given a choice to participate, much less receive a free education along with free room and board and other benefits for playing the game.

Even if they do, I would expect a lot of 1st rounders to sit out. Normally you have at least 3.5 months between Bowl Games and the draft and even then many skip the Bowl Games. A college season that ends in March/April would end only 2-2.5 months before the draft. Early June is the absolute latest I could see the NFL pushing it out.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess it could impact pretty certain first rounders, but that's 30ish guys. I wonder if guys who are still trying to improve their standing would sit?

That's the beautiful thing about this country. You have so many choices that are yours alone to make. Nobody making anyone play college football.

At the end of the day, the chances of sustaining a serious physical injury, career ending injury, lifelong debilitating injury, CTE, etc are INFINITELY higher than incurring serious health issues due to COVID.

Your analogy is kind of wonky; I do believe in both Gladiator and The Running Man, those guys weren't exactly given a choice to participate, much less receive a free education along with free room and board and other benefits for playing the game.

"Are you not entertained?"

^^ but that’s not the true story either.

You’re suggesting that they have nothing at all to lose by making the choice to not play. Nothing could be further from the truth.

One potential result of all this -
with the NIL legislation, players' rights will be an on-going issue.
If players have the right to market their own image, what other rights do they have, or might they have?

Add in covid with potential health concerns, and I would not be surprised if the end result is another attempt for college athletes to unionize or at least form some type of collective-bargaining entity.

Up to now, schools have had all the power, but the balance of power might be shifting more toward the players.

as others have pointed out, one of the major incentives for colleges to play this fall is TV money. if the players get together and refuse to play, schools could see that TV money going out the window, and might be motivated to negotiate - on the health and safety issues at least.

my long-term prediction - in another 10-15 years, D1 FB and hoops athletes will no longer be "student-athletes." they will become employees of the school.

If players have the right to market their own image, what other rights do they have, or might they have?

Add in covid with potential health concerns, and I would not be surprised if the end result is another attempt for college athletes to unionize or at least form some type of collective-bargaining entity.

Up to now, schools have had all the power, but the balance of power might be shifting more toward the players.

as others have pointed out, one of the major incentives for colleges to play this fall is TV money. if the players get together and refuse to play, schools could see that TV money going out the window, and might be motivated to negotiate - on the health and safety issues at least.

my long-term wacky prediction - in another 10-15 years, D1 FB and hoops players will become employees of the school, not "student-athletes."

my long-term wacky prediction - in another 10-15 years, D1 FB and hoops players will become employees of the school, not "student-athletes."

Fuck it. Let’s just abolish college sports. Have semi-pro leagues instead.

my long-term prediction - in another 10-15 years, D1 FB and hoops athletes will no longer be "student-athletes." they will become employees of the school.
I do not see them becoming employees of the schools at all.

The same problems that exist today will exist in the spring (to some unknown degree). Could be better, could be worse. However, risk will never be zero. Treatments may be better. An early vaccine? Most experts, outside of Fauci, are skeptical of a vetted, widespread vaccine rollout (with potential booster) until mid 2021 at earliest. Perhaps the NCAA pulls some strings.

Assuming the department loses 2020 football revenue, basketball revenue (x2), what are the financial forecasts for the department? Coyle presented a variety of revenue scenarios to the regents some weeks ago ranging from best case to armageddon (No Bruce Willis). Does anyone recall the worst case scenario? It’s looking like the pundits, fans, players, media are all in on the worst case scenario. I’ve not seen any aggressive planned measures to help safeguard players and staff. Perhaps it’s out there and I missed it. We are not privy to the boardroom or zoom talks but this trudge towards the fall season has the feel of a blind man trying to take the bra off a virgin.

What sports will be sacrificed should Armageddon come to pass? Will the state, with deep revenue issues of its own, ride to the rescue? Donors?

They’re being paid in the form of a free 4 year degree. That’s somewhere around $100,000+ to play a game at a non-professional level. Or is a full scholarship not considered money that the kid doesn’t have to spend/rack up as debt.

The same problems that exist today will exist in the spring (to some unknown degree). Could be better, could be worse. However, risk will never be zero. Treatments may be better. An early vaccine? Most experts, outside of Fauci, are skeptical of a vetted, widespread vaccine rollout (with potential booster) until mid 2021 at earliest. Perhaps the NCAA pulls some strings.

Assuming the department loses 2020 football revenue, basketball revenue (x2), what are the financial forecasts for the department? Coyle presented a variety of revenue scenarios to the regents some weeks ago ranging from best case to armageddon (No Bruce Willis). Does anyone recall the worst case scenario? It’s looking like the pundits, fans, players, media are all in on the worst case scenario. I’ve not seen any aggressive planned measures to help safeguard players and staff. Perhaps it’s out there and I missed it. We are not privy to the boardroom or zoom talks but this trudge towards the fall season has the feel of a blind man trying to take the bra off a virgin.

What sports will be sacrificed should Armageddon come to pass? Will the state, with deep revenue issues of its own, ride to the rescue? Donors?
What experts say mid 2020? Quotes, links

Top Bottom