All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

What experts say mid 2020? Quotes, links

Here is a starter comment by an individual that actually does R & D in vaccines (your requested comment starts at 0:55). If you listen longer the conversation turns towards potential outside (mostly political, take that as you may) pressure to get emergency FDA approvals prior to completion of phase 3, and of course phase 4 studies come even later. They discuss the rapid genomic sequencing, elimination of phase 2, and prebuilding manufacturing infrastructure which allows the 1.5 year estimate. AstraZeneca is also asking for indemnification against potential lawsuits. I’d say “no”. They need public trust to make this work. Do it right the first time.

He must have learned this from Diggs.

So, again...he was in California with his girlfriend all last week, while the team was holding workouts, walkthroughs and position meetings back here in Minnesota. He might still be there.

Here is a starter comment by an individual that actually does R & D in vaccines (your requested comment starts at 0:55). If you listen longer the conversation turns towards potential outside (mostly political, take that as you may) pressure to get emergency FDA approvals prior to completion of phase 3, and of course phase 4 studies come even later. They discuss the rapid genomic sequencing, elimination of phase 2, and prebuilding manufacturing infrastructure which allows the 1.5 year estimate. AstraZeneca is also asking for indemnification against potential lawsuits. I’d say “no”. They need public trust to make this work. Do it right the first time.

Didn’t click on it, just the title screen/splash looks fake/conspiracy/gaslighting. Nope nope nope.

State the names of leaders of university and state government public health depts who are saying mid 2020. Provide links.

That’s actual credibility.

Won’t even bad an eyelash at YouTubers trying to mine unsupported fears for clicks.

Thank goodness we didn’t follow Sweden.

Maximized deaths, for no other gain at all.

- NAIA moved all sports to spring.
- Almost of all of D3 has moved to spring or cancelled fall all together.
- Much of D2 has moved to spring and is still fluid.
- Select small D1 has suspended fall with potential move to spring.

I'm thinking large D1 is the next domino to fall. I wouldn't have believed it 4 months ago. Unless COVID cases evaporate dramatically over the next two or three weeks, I don't see how a season could be workable logistically.

For example, a family member coaches a youth fastpitch team. A player and parent tested positive for COVID (the parent has minimum symptoms and player asymptomatic) and the whole team needs to shut down for about two weeks with everyone getting tested. Regardless of how one feels on the actual merits of quarantining young people for a virus that has an extremely low probability of serious impact, the local regulations won't change. I don't see how this type of situation would work AT ALL for a football team where there is much more close-contact.

New Zealand conquered the virus too, why aren't you championing what they did?

No they haven't, they must continue heavy island isolation and 14 day quarantines for all visitors until a vaccine is found. Major countries with trillions in trade and large populations to feed simply can't do that. The lock-down is a complete failure in observing known pandemic control principles. It is creating enormous collateral damage. Sweden has won, New Zealand is still playing germaphobe.

No they haven't, they must continue heavy island isolation and 14 day quarantines for all visitors until a vaccine is found. Major countries with trillions in trade and large populations to feed simply can't do that. The lock-down is a complete failure in observing known pandemic control principles. It is creating enormous collateral damage. Sweden has won, New Zealand is still playing germaphobe.
Sweden ALSO has travel restrictions, albeit slightly less restrictive:
On March 17th the Swedish Government decided to restrict non-essential travels to Sweden across an external border, meaning from other countries than the EU/EEA, except the UK or Switzerland. The decision is currently in effect until August 31st 2020.

That quote is from https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-p...the-swedish-police/travel-to-and-from-sweden/.

So at this point, citizens of both countries are living normal life with no coronavirus restrictions. The ONLY appreciable difference is a 14 day quarantine in New Zealand when entering the country, but at this point I doubt many people are entering the country anyway.

Now compare that to the number of deaths in each country:
New Zealand: 22
Sweden: 5,747

Sweden ALSO has travel restrictions, albeit slightly less restrictive:

That quote is from https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-p...the-swedish-police/travel-to-and-from-sweden/.

So at this point, citizens of both countries are living normal life with no coronavirus restrictions. The ONLY appreciable difference is a 14 day quarantine in New Zealand when entering the country, but at this point I doubt many people are entering the country anyway.

Now compare that to the number of deaths in each country:
New Zealand: 22
Sweden: 5,747

New Zealand is an island country of 5 million people, with a microscopic hispanic, latino, and african american population, the hardest hit by COVID. It's not even remotely comparable to the US.

Sweden really isn't comparable to New Zealand or the US either, but they failed to protect their elderly, like many states in the US. Sweden has one of the oldest populations in the world, and 68% of their COVID deaths are 80+.

New Zealand is an island country of 5 million people, with a microscopic hispanic, latino, and african american population, the hardest hit by COVID. It's not even remotely comparable to the US.

Sweden really isn't comparable to New Zealand or the US either, but they failed to protect their elderly, like many states in the US. Sweden has one of the oldest populations in the world, and 68% of their COVID deaths are 80+.

Sometime life produces a set of tough choices. Sweden's tough choice is looking better all the time. Clearly, lockdowns have failed and are producing their own set of catastrophic outcomes.

Sometime life produces a set of tough choices. Sweden's tough choice is looking better all the time. Clearly, lockdowns have failed and are producing their own set of catastrophic outcomes.
Can you explain to me what Sweden is doing currently that is so largely different than what we’re doing in the US?

Can you explain to me what Sweden is doing currently that is so largely different than what we’re doing in the US?
They mandated no lockdown, they managed the spread to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. The United States had empty hospitals last spring as we played whack-a-mole with the virus. We didn't stop the spread, we delayed it, violating all precepts of epidemic management.

It was a complete abandonment of common sense.

The sunbelt states have adopted a Sweden approach, and it looks like they are getting a Sweden result as herd immunity is achieved.

THE POLICY CHOICE OF LOCKING DOWN UNTIL A VACCINE WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THE BLACK DEATH, WE ARE KILLING THE MIDDLE CLASS WITH THESE ECONOMIC LOCKDOWNS. GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES LIKE @MPLS_Gopher HAVE A HARD TIME GRASPING THIS.

Maximizes deaths, gains zero on economics.

We’d be in exactly the same position as we are now, but with 2x-3x the deaths, taking that approach.

The vast majority of the economic impact fundamentally comes from people’s unwillingness to be out and about, shopping, eating, spending in indoor spaces, during a pandemic. Lockdown policy, or no, it’s largely the same.

They mandated no lockdown, they managed the spread to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. The United States had empty hospitals last spring as we played whack-a-mole with the virus. We didn't stop the spread, we delayed it, violating all precepts of epidemic management.

It was a complete abandonment of common sense.

The sunbelt states have adopted a Sweden approach, and it looks like they are getting a Sweden result as herd immunity is achieved.

THE POLICY CHOICE OF LOCKING DOWN UNTIL A VACCINE WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THE BLACK DEATH, WE ARE KILLING THE MIDDLE CLASS WITH THESE ECONOMIC LOCKDOWNS. GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES LIKE @MPLS_Gopher HAVE A HARD TIME GRASPING THIS.
First, who is still locked down in the US? If your threshold is managing spread so hospitals don’t get overwhelmed, isn’t that what the US is doing? Lockdowns were initiated because the northeast DID have overwhelmed hospitals. Who are these imaginary villains you’re aggrandizing?

Second, while I am not an advocate for lockdown, the point of them was to get infections near zero, ramp up testing, and heavily test trace. Similar to what South Korea and some other countries have successfully done. Instead we botched that startegy because we failed at ramping up testing. The point of lockdowns are not hide out until a vaccine, despite what politicians may say.

Sweden has been the exception largely and not the rule. We don’t know why, maybe it’s because more than 50% of people of the people there live in single person households, creating a fantastic stop gap to spread. Maybe they don’t lose their shit when public health initiatives make their lives change and they actually follow them. What I think is likely, they’re a much healthier population, >30% of Americans are obese vs 10% in Sweden, 50% of Americans have hypertension vs 20% in Sweden, >10% diabetic Americans vs 5% in Sweden, 30% lower heart disease in Sweden than the US. Did I mention they will give 3 weeks of government sponsored full pay for people to stay home and not go to work while sick - not something accepted here, if you ain’t dying you go to work! The list goes on and on.

Also, the Sweden approach included/s restrictions on bars and restaurants, limiting gatherings to 50 people, and no spectators in pro sports events.

Here’s an important thing to remember, healthcare spending is 18% of GDP in the US. Over half of the economic hit during lockdowns was healthcare spending alone dropping. We have proven in the NE and now the South that completely unmitigated we will have hospital capacity issues and as a reaction hospitals will limit medical procedures, leading to economic issues. At the end of the day it is a much bigger economic hit to the middle class to have hospitals limiting operations than limiting bars and restaurants, and I don’t mean that to minimize anyone’s profession or work.

What do you think about these issues GR? Is there any path other than Lockdown or Sweden in your mind? We’ve had some serious surges in multiple US locations that Sweden has never really experienced, why do you think that is?

First, who is still locked down in the US? If your threshold is managing spread so hospitals don’t get overwhelmed, isn’t that what the US is doing? Lockdowns were initiated because the northeast DID have overwhelmed hospitals. Who are these imaginary villains you’re aggrandizing?

Second, while I am not an advocate for lockdown, the point of them was to get infections near zero, ramp up testing, and heavily test trace. Similar to what South Korea and some other countries have successfully done. Instead we botched that startegy because we failed at ramping up testing. The point of lockdowns are not hide out until a vaccine, despite what politicians may say.

Sweden has been the exception largely and not the rule. We don’t know why, maybe it’s because more than 50% of people of the people there live in single person households, creating a fantastic stop gap to spread. Maybe they don’t lose their shit when public health initiatives make their lives change and they actually follow them. What I think is likely, they’re a much healthier population, >30% of Americans are obese vs 10% in Sweden, 50% of Americans have hypertension vs 20% in Sweden, >10% diabetic Americans vs 5% in Sweden, 30% lower heart disease in Sweden than the US. Did I mention they will give 3 weeks of government sponsored full pay for people to stay home and not go to work while sick - not something accepted here, if you ain’t dying you go to work! The list goes on and on.

What do you think about these issues GR? Is there any path other than Lockdown or Sweden in your mind? We’ve had some serious surges in multiple US locations that Sweden has never really experienced, why do you think that is?

We had several early surges to learn from, Italy, NYC, aircraft carrier, cruise ships, meat packing plants. The virus raced through the NYC subways and picked off its immuno suppressed victims. So we knew early on that (1) highly contagious, much more than influenza, (2) demographic impact was the aged and immune suppressed. This meant that contact tracing would be impossible and impractical, PRACTICALLY ZERO YOUNG ADULTS AND CHILDREN WERE DYING.

Yet our Governor was strutting around like he was saving the world from the plague, blocking all critical media from his daily news conferences.

Two important moments: the aircraft carrier and the Minnesota pork plant. Both had one death. Sad to be sure, but stop the world for 1 death out of 5000? Turns out the pork plant worker was a 67 year old heart patient, we weren't told about the sailor's underlying conditions.

The hospitals were empty because this thing was being treated like the BLACK DEATH.

What people don't know is that influenza leaves permanent damage in people, and we don't stop the world for it.

We should have soldiered ahead, when local areas reached overloaded hospital capacity, we should have imposed local responses, not state-wide ones. We should never have contemplated closing down sports.

Right now Sweden has achieved herd immunity and hopefully, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona are not far behind. The hit maximum hospital capacity but did not exceed it.

The way it looks like now, COVID is actually less lethal than the 1957 Hong Kong flu outbreak which killed 100,000 in a much smaller population of aged and ill people.

Ask old people, they can barely remember it.

That's where we are, Go Gophers.

Last edited:

We had several early surges to learn from, Italy, NYC, aircraft carrier, cruise ships, meat packing plants. The virus raced through the NYC subways and picked off its immuno suppressed victims. So we knew early on that (1) highly contagious, much more than influenza, (2) demographic impact was the aged and immune suppressed. This meant that contact tracing would be impossible and impractical, PRACTICALLY ZERO YOUNG ADULTS AND CHILDREN WERE DYING.

Yet our Governor was strutting around like he was saving the world from the plague, blocking all critical media from his daily news conferences.

Two important moments: the aircraft carrier and the Minnesota pork plant. Both had one death. Sad to be sure, but stop the world for 1 death out of 5000? Turns out the pork plant worker was a 67 year old heart patient, we weren't told about the sailor's underlying conditions.

The hospitals were empty because this thing was being treated like the BLACK DEATH.

What people don't know is that influenza leaves permanent damage in people, and we don't stop the world for it.

We should have soldiered ahead, when local areas reached overloaded hospital capacity, we should have imposed local responses, not state-wide ones. We should never have contemplated closing down sports.

Right now Sweden has achieved herd immunity and hopefully, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona are not far behind. The hit maximum hospital capacity but did not exceed it.

The way it looks like now, COVID is actually less lethal than the 1957 Hong Kong flu outbreak which killed 100,000 in a much smaller population of aged and ill people.

Seasonal influenza (which is what you refer to) is completely known, doesn’t kill young healthy people as covid rarely does, doesn’t cause weird, unexplained illness/symptoms in some people for months, and doesn’t cause long term symptoms.

Covid is still largely unknown scientifically.

That’s the actual reason for caution and doubt. Not all the BS theatrics you lie about and make up, like an asshole.

You make arguments about March with the benefit of hindsight, things looked much differently then. We botched trying to get test and trace implemented, it's over now and we have to deal with what we have in a different way. But contact tracing HAS been successfully implemented elsewhere, following a period of lockdown which sent cases to very low amounts. Again South Korea and New Zealand are probably the best examples so it's certainly not impossible (and nothing is practical in the current climate). Lockdowns were a mistake in the aspect that we failed to use them to make any strategical progress.

I digress, I never thought they would work since 1) we didn't take COVID seriously enough early enough (compared to Sweden who beefed up ICU capacity in February and 2) we as Americans are fiercely independent to a fault when it comes to health issues, we think we know better. Again I'm not advocating for blanket lockdowns, lower population density places like Montana or South Dakota and other areas would likely come out okay from a hospital standpoint regardless of what they do.

If you don't want people to use NYC as a representative of the entire U.S., why would you use two isolated incidents to represent what would happen country wide? People whose job it is to study this are saying it's somewhere around 1/100-1/350 people will die if they get it. I'm not going to argue what the threshold of deaths is that we take it seriously, people just move their goalposts. But I would say my personal opinion is the level is not high enough to levy blanket lockdowns, but not low enough that we should live without any precautions.
The hospitals were empty because that's where sick and vulnerable people go. You don't schedule bunion correction surgery on a 60 year old diabetic smoker when there is a 10% chance they'll die if they get covid, high risk low reward... Again, we've learned a lot since then too.

You should google exponential growth and infections, if you wait until an area gets overloaded to impose restrictions, simply put, you're fucked, deaths triple. But again, I am all for more pointed, well thought out responses that target specific regions vs blanket shutdowns, now you're talking!

While I hope this is true, there is currently nothing to actually support that. Even Anders Tegnall thinks Sweden will see a second wave yet... Remember two months ago when you kept claiming the virus is dying out, we've already reached herd immunity? Then oops, here comes Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia. Now I have read some very interesting papers that posit the infection induced herd immunity level would be a much lower threshold than a vaccine based one. And through infection we may actually get to herd immunity faster because those superspreader type individuals become immune quickly and thus lower the infection rate as time goes on. BUT, as of now we can't confirm that, I would say NYC or some of the other early hard hit areas not seeing any type of resurgence would lend support to this hypothesis.

Also, you can't say those southern states did nothing. They closed bars and limited many other things again over a month ago now. Cases have just started falling and I would bet it's due more to those restrictions and people taking it more seriously (ie more masks/distancing) that have led to the case reductions vs. herd immunity.

Again, I'm not going to debate what is or isn't an acceptable death level, I made my personal stance clear before. But you also have to remember we've done a lot to curb this virus, probably <15% of the population has been infected and we're at the current death levels, you can't really compare the two.

Again I have to ask the question you left unanswered: Why do you think we (and many other countries) have experienced multiple surges while Sweden has largely escaped that fate? What about places like Brazil? Why do we and other countries have twice the confirmed cases per capita of Sweden and our infection rates are still raging?

What about places like Brazil? Why do we and other countries have twice the confirmed cases per capita of Sweden and our infection rates are still raging?
They have horrible infrastructure, with the poorest people living tightly in favelas and basically standing no chance. Add to that a horrible and corrupt goverment.

We have good infrastructure, but no plan from the government and way too many idiots living here.

Imagine minnesota finally gets back to the rosebowl, then its cancelled because of a winter covid outbreak

👏 funny because we all expect the worst, most excruciating outcome as MN sports fans.

Also, the Sweden approach included/s restrictions on bars and restaurants, limiting gatherings to 50 people, and no spectators in pro sports events.

Here’s an important thing to remember, healthcare spending is 18% of GDP in the US. Over half of the economic hit during lockdowns was healthcare spending alone dropping. We have proven in the NE and now the South that completely unmitigated we will have hospital capacity issues and as a reaction hospitals will limit medical procedures, leading to economic issues. At the end of the day it is a much bigger economic hit to the middle class to have hospitals limiting operations than limiting bars and restaurants, and I don’t mean that to minimize anyone’s profession or work.

The main reason we can’t get cases down is because we have a large proportion of me first, selfish ***holes in our population of all ages, races, creeds, and orientations that cannot or will not isolate or behave themselves no matter what comes. Australia is struggling with this right now and has recently instituted a $3500 fee for breaking isolation rules...

We have access to rapid testing but as AFAIK not a single blue or red state governor has utilized them to help get the outbreak under control. Contact tracing is an absolute waste of time and money in this climate of widespread irresponsibility and cases.

It’s not them, it’s us.

Seasonal influenza (which is what you refer to) is completely known, doesn’t kill young healthy people as covid rarely does, doesn’t cause weird, unexplained illness/symptoms in some people for months, and doesn’t cause long term symptoms.

Covid is still largely unknown scientifically.

That’s the actual reason for caution and doubt. Not all the BS theatrics you lie about and make up, like an asshole.

It can do all those things.

Top Bottom