All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Thanks for the reference, I don’t know if I’d seen this one. It sure would be nice getting some standardization from the gov (with support outside of the CDC), Still have to get people on the train of something is better than nothing first.

Methodology of the reference source in the Science article you linked. Very interesting. Now we just have to make people put them over their mouth and nose ?

You don't need a high percentage of herd immunity of a large percentage of the population is naturally immune, or if the virus is weakening, but the percentage is growing, take off the masks and be FREE

Herd immunity in North Carolina?

You don't need a high percentage of herd immunity of a large percentage of the population is naturally immune, or if the virus is weakening, but the percentage is growing, take off the masks and be FREE

Herd immunity in North Carolina?
You’re entitled to your opinion.

I support places of business who choose to bar customers from entry without a mask.

This paper in Nature Medicine was impactful on shifting my opinion: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

It is interesting to see the different effects the masking had between coronavirus, influenza, and rhinovirus.

Oh, I agree with you. My beef is with the assertion “a mask is a mask“ which is not necessarily true. But, any mask is better than no mask in terms of source control. The messaging has been on the less than perfect side. There seems to be a softening recently which is good. Now the execution.

Last edited:

This paper in Nature Medicine was impactful on shifting my opinion: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

It is interesting to see the different effects the masking had between coronavirus, influenza, and rhinovirus.

Nobody is wearing a surgical mask, the cloth masks and bandanas do nothing, except provide some virtue signalling benefit for the people rendered ignorant by preening politicians and manipulative news media. Besides, the healthy should be trying to get infected. Most will have no or mild symptoms.

Nobody is wearing a surgical mask, the cloth masks and bandanas do nothing, except provide some virtue signalling benefit for the people rendered ignorant by preening politicians and manipulative news media. Besides, the healthy should be trying to get infected. Most will have no or mild symptoms.
There are a lot of surgical masks floating around. Besides that, yes cloth masks and bandanas do something, go back and read the papers and the last couple days of the thread we discussed. Masks are about managed spread not prevention. Please stop injecting politics into science and medicine.

Please stop injecting politics into science and medicine.

"science" originally projected 2.5 million deaths to justify United States lockdown.

How about some real science, like the kind utilized by Sweden and South Dakota?

"science" originally projected 2.5 million deaths to justify United States lockdown.

Man you railed against fake news and preening politicians but you sure sound like one. That original modeling from the Inperial College (which was always going to be flawed after we learned more) predicted a 0.9% IFR at a time when the general public was screaming about 10%+. Studies today, with 3 months of additional data are converging on about 0.5-1% IFR. Pretty damn good for fake science eh!?

I dare you to go and read the paper, 2.2mil deaths was a worse case scenario if not a single aspect of human life changed, 220mil infected and 2.2 mil deaths in a SHORT PERIOD. Any intervention at all now makes it a “flawed model” by your standards. Masks won’t prevent many deaths by themselves, but they’ll help keep our economy open and our healthcare under capacity by managing spread.

They can do whatever they want, none of there teams are good.? Only question is how much money would they have to give the non conference schools that are scheduled for declining to play.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic about paying the non-conference schools back. The Ivys generally play just other East Coast 1AA schools, so I would guess the contracts are $100,000 or less for each game. I am sure the schools are flush enough to foot that kind of dough for cancelling or postponing 3 games each.

Oh, I agree with you. My beef is with the assertion “a mask is a mask“ which is not necessarily true. But, any mask is better than no mask in terms of source control. The messaging has been on the less than perfect side. There seems to be a softening recently which is good. Now the execution.
Nightly News last night said that multi-layered cloth masks are as good as surgical masks. I'll go with them, not you.

They aren't N95, but nothing home-made is.

Man you railed against fake news and preening politicians but you sure sound like one. That original modeling from the Inperial College (which was always going to be flawed after we learned more) predicted a 0.9% IFR at a time when the general public was screaming about 10%+. Studies today, with 3 months of additional data are converging on about 0.5-1% IFR. Pretty damn good for fake science eh!?

I dare you to go and read the paper, 2.2mil deaths was a worse case scenario if not a single aspect of human life changed, 220mil infected and 2.2 mil deaths in a SHORT PERIOD. Any intervention at all now makes it a “flawed model” by your standards. Masks won’t prevent many deaths by themselves, but they’ll help keep our economy open and our healthcare under capacity by managing spread.
The prediction I saw posted a while ago that makes sense to me goes roughly like:
- 250M adults in the country (kids unlikely to die from cv19)
- 60% infected to get herd immunity
- 0.3% IFR

= 450k dead

If we had done nothing, I think we'd be well on our way to that already. The measures we've taken, have slowed that and pushed some of those deaths out longer. Then, if we do get a vaccine by end of the calendar, that saves all the extra deaths that have been pushed out past that time. Could legit be talking about saving at least 150k lives, if not more.

I really fail to understand your admiration of the Swedes approach. They have infection numbers markedly higher than their Scandy brethren, one of the highest mortality rates from Covid and are still a long way from any sense of herd immunity.

Viruses are not my specialty so i count on listening to what those that study these things tell me. That means i wear a mask in public and keep 6 feet apart at a minimum. Opinions are all over the place but we know that those two things work and that is good enough for me. What seems so difficult to understand ? Projections are meaningless but it has been proven that distancing offers more than not distancing. Of course it can not factor in finances, mental health, loneliness, sobriety, anxiety.

I really fail to understand your admiration of the Swedes approach. They have infection numbers markedly higher than their Scandy brethren, one of the highest mortality rates from Covid and are still a long way from any sense of herd immunity.
Any what benefits will they reap from their (likely failed) experiment? Will it even be possible to "prove" that Sweden came out ahead in some sense, financially, compared to other Nordic countries?? I doubt it.

So, basically, same economic outcome, and it cost them more lives. But I guess you can't measure "freedom". :sneaky:

Which store? Can you tell me where I can read about this? I can’t find anything.

I don't know if it was 17 cashiers/workers, but the Walmart in Faribault, MN closed for a few days in late May due to an outbreak and deep clean.

I thought the article below and the graph shown were very informative.
https://stream.org/why-you-shouldnt-panic-about-spikes-and-surges-in-new-coronavirus-cases/

corona2b-3-700x389.png

Thinking that this will be over with sooner than we think as 80 million people are estimated to be infected with near perfect statistical correlation. I thought it was a good read with lots of backup info and provides hope for gopher football with fans in the stands this fall. Also if 80M cases and 120,000 deaths, it would put the infection mortality rate at 0.15%

You’re entitled to your opinion.

I support places of business who choose to bar customers from entry without a mask.

And the ones not burned to the ground.
Nightly News last night said that multi-layered cloth masks are as good as surgical masks. I'll go with them, not you.

They aren't N95, but nothing home-made is.

Some are, many aren’t. As I said. You have a real reading comprehension issue. Go back and look at the posted study.

3 months ago, Fauci told us not to wear masks.

5 months ago, he said the virus isn’t highly transmissible, and was “nothing to worry about.”

He has credibility, but his recent track record is not good.
They said don't wear masks, they don't work, we need to save them for Frontline healthcare workers.
Are you admitting your to dumb to figure that out? Why would they need them for health care workers if they don't work? I cannot believe that so many people in this country don't have the critical thinking skills to understand that statement actually meant "masks work".

I have worn an N95 while out since the day they announced that.

I've been trying to be hopeful that we will get CFB this year. But it feels so unlikely.

I know as soon as one player, coach, assistant, etc. dies of the virus - then the whole season is likely done.

The science SD used? You mean "do nothing and pray"?

South Dakota and Sweden used every precaution used in prior flu pandemics. There should never have been a lockdown. The "Science" used for the lockdown was not scientific at all, it was a high school science project with plug in Chicken Little numbers.

I am not sure about whose projections are right and whose are wrong. What we are seeing is indeed aligned with politics more than science though. There is pretty much ZERO incentive for anyone in a position of authority or influence on this thing to call for a "do nothing stance." It is simply not in Fauci's interest to recommend opening up quickly. If he pushes that, and a million people die, it will be viewed as his fault. On the other hand, if he recommends continuing the shutdown for another 18 months, and the death count is minimal, people will say "see it's good thing we kept that shutdown going; it sure saved a lot of lives." It won't matter at all if the death count would have been low anyway. It's the same with virtually every politician. State governors do not want to be viewed as "doing nothing." They have the same risk/reward situation as Fauci. And that is not just for COVID, it's anything. Politicians want to be viewed as "doing something." And by "doing something" this generally means passing new laws. Then the politicians are are lauded as courageous leaders taking a stand. The leaders I admire most are the ones who are willing to go against the mob, at their own peril. The ones who will stand up and say that it's better not to take any action at all in some cases. That takes courage. The general CYA approach doesn't.

I thought the article below and the graph shown were very informative.
https://stream.org/why-you-shouldnt-panic-about-spikes-and-surges-in-new-coronavirus-cases/

corona2b-3-700x389.png

Thinking that this will be over with sooner than we think as 80 million people are estimated to be infected with near perfect statistical correlation. I thought it was a good read with lots of backup info and provides hope for gopher football with fans in the stands this fall. Also if 80M cases and 120,000 deaths, it would put the infection mortality rate at 0.15%
This is just some person's opinion, making shit up as they please, trying to get you to donate to their blog.

There is zero credible evidence that right now there are 80M Americans who have antibodies or an active infection. That would be almost 23% of the population.

Would guess the actual number is somewhere between say 7-12%.

And the ones not burned to the ground.

Some are, many aren’t. As I said. You have a real reading comprehension issue. Go back and look at the posted study.
All multi-layered cloth masks have the same quality as surgical masks. Going with them, not you. You have no credibility beyond being a random internet person.

South Dakota and Sweden used every precaution used in prior flu pandemics. There should never have been a lockdown. The "Science" used for the lockdown was not scientific at all, it was a high school science project with plug in Chicken Little numbers.
Random internet person says so. Must be true.

Top Bottom