All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Hey, but when I was younger I would absolutely have missed watching the pretty girls moving up and down the aisles to get to their seats!
Nothing like sitting in the back row with auditorium seating... ??

How about 3 Big 10 divisions?

West - Neb, Minn, Iowa & Wisc
Central - Ill, NW, Pur, Ind & Oh St
East - Mich, Mich St, Penn St, Mary & Rut

Double round robin within division. West teams play a crossover game vs both Central & East, except Oh St & Mich who play each other. West teams would be playing 8 games while the other 2 play 9.

Each Division winner goes to to the Semis, plus a Wild Card. Winners play in title game. I'll leave the tiebreakers to someone else.

Other than a few of the West/East crossover games, all would the teams would be able to travel by bus. For those long distance games, I would propose playing on a neutral field, roughly splitting the distance.

Last edited:

It's May.

I think a lot of teams we assume will play ... might not. And other teams we assume won't... might play. Depending on how things play out.

There's a lot of blue vs red state talk and such, but I'm not sure that matters if the Governor's of a given state says they're open ... if players start testing positive during the season.

You probably need like 20 alternate plans to cover everything ... and then maybe you still don't play.

Double round robin within division. West teams play a crossover game vs both Central & East, except Oh St & Mich who play each other. West teams would be playing 8 games while the other 2 play 9.

Each Division winner goes to to the Semis, plus a Wild Card. Winners play in title game. I'll leave the tiebreakers to someone else.

The quadrangle of hate = National Championship!

I am all for it.

If a school isn’t allowed to play or decides on their own to not play move on without them.

Ultimately, however, fear of litigation in a lawsuit may win out over common sense. It just takes one compromised student to get gravely ill and start a lawsuit to bring the U to its knees.

1. Students must opt-in and sign a waiver.
2. Must be a virtual option for everything.

The opt-in process should include an online class on managing the risks while on campus, limiting the spread, understanding all risks, and consent in advance to contact tracing programs.

If I had to make a bet right now I’d strongly argue the knock-on mental health effects (compounding existing anxiety and depression) downstream from worry about personal health, family job and medical issues and reduced financial support, reduced job prospects from the current likely severe recession and potential years-long depression, possibly altered career plans and/or degree timelines will end up killing many multiples more college students and recent grads than direct infectious disease deaths. Many of those people already on the edge will not be able to cope. Let’s tamp down the hysteria a bit. Seriously.

They could also try a hybrid model to help with social distancing. Half students on one day and half on another (or thirds or fourths). Other stuff is done online. It wouldn't be ideal but if it's the compromise that gets things back to normal it might be worth a try.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...niform-return-college-sports-mark-emmert-says

"
The NCAA won't mandate or oversee a uniform return to college sports, NCAA president Mark Emmert said Tuesday, leaving decisions on start dates to state officials and university presidents.

College athletics came to a halt in mid-March, when the NCAA canceled the men's and women's basketball tournaments along with all remaining winter and spring championships, because of the evolving threat of the coronavirus pandemic. There is still no timetable for a return, and Emmert said it isn't the NCAA's role to determine one in this instance.
"

If I had to make a bet right now I’d strongly argue the knock-on mental health effects (compounding existing anxiety and depression) downstream from worry about personal health, family job and medical issues and reduced financial support, reduced job prospects from the current likely severe recession and potential years-long depression, possibly altered career plans and/or degree timelines will end up killing many multiples more college students and recent grads than direct infectious disease deaths. Many of those people already on the edge will not be able to cope. Let’s tamp down the hysteria a bit. Seriously.
This is so fake.

The number of people who die from mental health related to 2-3months of economic harm, will be a small fraction of cv19 deaths.

^^^ You make it too easy to dismiss your opinions. Yeah, 2-3 months. Just wake up from your coma?

I have confirmation that everything is going to be OK!

My credit card company who I have zero physical contact with ... ever. Has emailed me, for like the 12th time in a few weeks, their plans for their continuing efforts to deal with this unprecedented COVID-19 situation!

They're taking it very seriously and I gotta think if an organization like that can handle the situation calmly I think the University of Minnesota can too!!!!

If it gets to the point where this is enacted it’s safe to assume the Gophers won’t play. Minnesota is going to be among the more cautious states, and the U a more cautious leadership.
Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa likely would have a season and it winds up setting back Gopher football a decade or more. Hope for NCAA solidarity because if there isn’t, Minnesota probably is the loser in all this, cancels the season, and watches it’s players and recruits defect.

Other than a few of the West/East crossover games, all would the teams would be able to travel by bus. For those long distance games, I would propose playing on a neutral field, roughly splitting the distance.

Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, and maybe Michigan and Michigan State will be blocked by their state from playing, I think.

The quadrangle of hate = National Championship!
Great observation! Do any other group of four regional teams in the same conference hate each other as much as Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin? I can think of some threes like Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, or Alabama, Auburn, Georgia. I guess you could add Florida to those three, but Alabama’s not considered a real rival with them.

Lol no. Minnesota will start really opening up June 1. UMN will have students on campus this fall.

Will be interesting if June 1 will be a golden date for the Big Ten to lift its restriction on organized team activities or if they’ll push to June 15. But would expect one of those two.

Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, and maybe Michigan and Michigan State will be blocked by their state from playing, I think.
No reason not to include Wisconsin in this mix, their governor is as strict as Walz. If Wittmer in Michigan cancels football, that would probably finally drag down her poll ratings. I know Walz is a big Gopher football fan, and while he’d say that won’t affect his decision, it may subconsciously help us.
From West Virginia:

I could be wrong. We’ll have to tally up the numbers in 5 years. As long as everyone is throwing around scary numbers without context here is an opinion piece of non-scary relative risk by age group. Feel free to nitpick his non-scary statistics. Are college students unduly or irrationally worried about their personal safety? Disclosure: father of two, more worried about educational shortfall than their risks of either COVID-19 illness or the associated Kawasaki issue. I also drive them to activities, school, and the beach occasionally. Call CPS?

For those ages 1 through 24, even a wildly out-of-control Covid-19 pandemic that exceeded the worst-case scenarios and killed 5 million Americans would appear to pose less risk than cars and trucks and boats do in a normal year.

No reason not to include Wisconsin in this mix, their governor is as strict as Walz. If Wittmer in Michigan cancels football, that would probably finally drag down her poll ratings. I know Walz is a big Gopher football fan, and while he’d say that won’t affect his decision, it may subconsciously help us.
From West Virginia:

I don't doubt there are presidents and governors more excited than others to force the issue.

I do wonder what happens when the first of their players ... or the opposing team tests positive ... now what bro?

I don't doubt there are presidents and governors more excited than others to force the issue.

I do wonder what happens when the first of their players ... or the opposing team tests positive ... now what bro?
I know it’s not the same ......... but:

I just wonder if there’s ever even been a reported case where one team had a player give the flu to another team because of a game.

Maybe it happens all the time. But I feel like I more often hear about a player sitting out of a game because they’re sick.

I know it’s not the same ......... but:

I just wonder if there’s ever even been a reported case where one team had a player give the flu to another team because of a game.

Maybe it happens all the time. But I feel like I more often hear about a player sitting out of a game because they’re sick.
I think plenty of guys play sick... just nobody talks about it much.

If it gets to the point where this is enacted it’s safe to assume the Gophers won’t play. Minnesota is going to be among the more cautious states, and the U a more cautious leadership.
Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa likely would have a season and it winds up setting back Gopher football a decade or more. Hope for NCAA solidarity because if there isn’t, Minnesota probably is the loser in all this, cancels the season, and watches it’s players and recruits defect.
Like I have said before, I have faith that Minnesota will not do what everyone else does. I have always felt for some reason that we just can't have nice things here. Your prognostication would be par for the course. Oddly, I am more afraid of that than the virus.
This is my Eeyore moment.

Quarantine the players, coaches, etc. for 6-7 months, and play the season. Whatever it takes. There’s too much on the line.

Quarantine the players, coaches, etc. for 6-7 months, and play the season. Whatever it takes. There’s too much on the line.

For Pros sure, possible. Amateurs (even quasi-Amateurs), have to say, zero chance of that.

Last edited:

There's not going to be a quarantine. Even pros are balking at that. That's like being imprisoned in a hotel. That's gonna be a no.

You test every player, every day, maybe morning and evening. Anyone who gets a positive test is required to leave team facilities and have no contact with any team member or staff for 14 days. No practice or training at team facilities, and no games, in that time.

It's just that simple. This regime guarantees that teams can't give it to each other, if they strictly follow it. If teams try to cheat it, that is their fault and should be dealt with exactly the same as cheating by using an ineligible player.

Top Bottom