All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

You’re right. No vaccine is 100% reliable, but, they do provide some measure of herd immunity. That’s all we can hope for in this situation. Those who choose not to be vaccinated must be prepared to face some social and economic barriers. It’s their choice.
Should people who already have had it have to get vaccinated?

a lot of questions here

should people who want to wait to see a 1-2 year study of the vaccine be shunned from society?

a lot of questions here

should people who want to wait to see a 1-2 year study of the vaccine be shunned from society?
If you can prove you have antibodies, you’re obviously exempt.

Better go hurry up and get yourself and your family sick now!! Gotta avoid the vaccine!

Oh oops, your kids will have Alzheimer’s now. But at least government didn’t control your life!

Why 1-2 years? Arbitrary number you made up.

Very limited sympathy for people conjuring up anti-vac conspiracy theories just because they’re bitter they lost the war of ideas/culture on the virus.

Would support a grace period of months, at most.

a lot of questions here

Interesting thoughts! Just like masks, it will be businesses setting the standards. Many saw mask mandates as government overreach, but when WalMart, Kohl’s, et al saw the economic benefits of masks, the populace fell into line. Employers will require vaccination as a condition of employment. Their bottom line will depend on it.

Interesting thoughts! Just like masks, it will be businesses setting the standards. Many saw mask mandates as government overreach, but when WalMart, Kohl’s, et al saw the economic benefits of masks, the populace fell into line. Employers will require vaccination as a condition of employment. Their bottom line will depend on it.
What about people who choose not to get it for medical reasons?

right now, in Minnesota, people don’t have to wear a mask if they claim they have a medical reason not to. There is no burden of proof needed to make that claim per the governors order

Better go hurry up and get yourself and your family sick now!! Gotta avoid the vaccine!

Oh oops, your kids will have Alzheimer’s now. But at least government didn’t control your life!

Very limited sympathy for people conjuring up anti-vac conspiracy theories just because they’re bitter they lost the war of ideas/culture on the virus.

Have you done any in-depth research into vaccines? My guess is you read the news paper and dont dive in deep. Listen I am not your normal anti-vax person. I do research and a lot of it. I make the best health decision as a functional health coach that I can to create a life that is most beneficial to my bodies system as a whole. I do support some vaccines, but there are some that do not make sense. This is one of them. If we HAVE to get this vaccine, then I would argue that we then have to get vaccines for every virus out there. Where does it end? So not I can not go to work because I decided not to get a vaccine. If people want to get it and have a sense of false security that is great. That is their choice. Do I no longer have the choice to not be injected with something that I do not believe has benefits to my health system?

I am not here to create a divide amongst us Gopher fans, but this is a real topic, and it is a real concern for a lot of people. I do not want people to get sick, but I also believe that this virus does not create the chaos that the media is saying that it does. I just challenge us all to take a look at how it compares to other things that cause millions of deaths. Why is smoking not illegal yet? It directly casues death. I dont even have the right to not inhale smoke when I am walking on a sidewalk and have to walk by someone smoking. How is this still legal for anyone? Yet we hyper focus on this virus as the only thing that is a killer?

Its curious is it not. Just thoughts. Take some time to think it all the way through.

MplsGopher, what are the actual risks of COVID to youngish healthy people in your opinion, numerically speaking.

MplsGopher, what are the actual risks of COVID to youngish healthy people in your opinion, numerically speaking.
I will give you a head start on your answer. According to the CDC (https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku), Flu/Pneumonia deaths surpass COVID deaths for every age group irrespective of health. The data collection noted from the CDC is post-influenza season (in other words after the peak of influenza for the year). No color on my post, just actual data procured from the CDC with website link included. Anyone passing away is a tragedy for sure, but everything needs to be put into context.

If I was czar, not only would all college sports be cancelled, but all in-person class at all schools would be cancelled for the fall.

Pretty much silly to do otherwise, when the end to the nightmare is right around the corner.

If they cancel the fall sports there will be no 2020-2021college sports. Nothing of substance will change between now and late winter/spring. A vaccine is not going to be widely available and if it is it means safety vetting was shortened which is troubling to many experts; and, we won’t know the length of immunity, or what may happen to some individuals on re-exposure in terms of ADE complications.

The first mistake: there will still be risk of infection in the spring. The FDA is ready, for example to approve a vaccine that is at least 50% effective. Assuming one or more candidates meet that bar, a vaccine that is only 50% effective accepted by 50% of the population and potentially requires two rounds of injection one month apart becomes a mathematical and logistical problem for meeting the media and college presidents demands of zero risk.

The second mistake: assuming the players are safer at home. Access to frequent screening tests, world class medical care, a broad support network, and non-idle hands. Oh, and they aren’t giving up on what is (for some of them)their life’s work and dream (to this point).

I will give you a head start on your answer. According to the CDC (https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku), Flu/Pneumonia deaths surpass COVID deaths for every age group irrespective of health. The data collection noted from the CDC is post-influenza season (in other words after the peak of influenza for the year). No color on my post, just actual data procured from the CDC with website link included. Anyone passing away is a tragedy for sure, but everything needs to be put into context.
What is the numerical point at which government power is absolute? I think it is critical to talk actual numbers. We have really good indication of the health impact of COVID, but there is little to no discussion on the **collective impact** society is placing on itself to **possibly** slow its spread. It's positively strange that people on both sides of the political spectrum let others do thinking for them.

Do Governors and Mayors have absolute power at a 10% death rate? a 5% death rate? A .05% death rate? Does anyone not find it strange that we are not talking on actual numerical terms? I may have to run for Governor next election. I promise to back my decisions with logic and numbers for all to see especially when those decisions fundamentally impact the means for my constituents to care for their families.

What is the numerical point at which government power is absolute? I think it is critical to talk actual numbers. We have really good indication of the health impact of COVID, but there is little to no discussion on the **collective impact** society is placing on itself to **possibly** slow its spread. It's positively strange that people on both sides of the political spectrum let others do thinking for them.

This is a very articulate response. It makes a lot of sense.

This is a very articulate response. It makes a lot of sense.
Thanks Alaska. Common sense should not be the exception. You also posted commons sense. Common sense is now the exception(al).

I just challenge us all to take a look at how it compares to other things that cause millions of deaths. Why is smoking not illegal yet? It directly casues death. I dont even have the right to not inhale smoke when I am walking on a sidewalk and have to walk by someone smoking. How is this still legal for anyone? Yet we hyper focus on this virus as the only thing that is a killer?

Its curious is it not. Just thoughts. Take some time to think it all the way through.
I think a big difference is that a majority of the leading causes of death aren't from something that spreads. Obviously secondhand smoke is an exception but many rules have gone into place to limit exposure to it.

Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc are all important. That's why billions of dollars are invested in them every year. What's happening now doesn't change that.

I think a big difference is that a majority of the leading causes of death aren't from something that spreads. Obviously secondhand smoke is an exception but many rules have gone into place to limit exposure to it.

Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc are all important. That's why billions of dollars are invested in them every year. What's happening now doesn't change that.
And most importantly, they’re known. They’re characterized.

Covid is unknown.

It’s asbestos insulation, in the 1950’s.

If they cancel the fall sports there will be no 2020-2021college sports. Nothing of substance will change between now and late winter/spring. A vaccine is not going to be widely available and if it is it means safety vetting was shortened which is troubling to many experts; and, we won’t know the length of immunity, or what may happen to some individuals on re-exposure in terms of ADE complications.

The first mistake: there will still be risk of infection in the spring. The FDA is ready, for example to approve a vaccine that is at least 50% effective. Assuming one or more candidates meet that bar, a vaccine that is only 50% effective accepted by 50% of the population and potentially requires two rounds of injection one month apart becomes a mathematical and logistical problem for meeting the media and college presidents demands of zero risk.

The second mistake: assuming the players are safer at home. Access to frequent screening tests, world class medical care, a broad support network, and non-idle hands. Oh, and they aren’t giving up on what is (for some of them)their life’s work and dream (to this point).
Even if there is a vaccine available in February of 2021 it will take months if not a year to get it widely distributed.

there will be a chance at sports in the spring if the testing gets to the point where you can get results quickly and cheaply every day.

Even if there is a vaccine available in February of 2021 it will take months if not a year to get it widely distributed.

there will be a chance at sports in the spring if the testing gets to the point where you can get results quickly and cheaply every day.

Yep, that’s really the only hope. Given the small number (relatively) of tests necessary for college programs it could have conceivably been done this fall in a delayed season. No effort to make that happen, unfortunately. Perhaps the Ent-like colleges can devise a comprehensive testing strategy over the next 5-6 months and salvage some semblance of fall, winter, spring sports for AY 20-21.

Some guy is right on the timing of a vaccine. if Drug Company X developed a verified and proven vaccine on Jan 1st, then they have to manufacture 200 to 300-million doses - if not more - distribute those doses to hospitals and clinics around the country, and then those hospitals and clinics need to work out a schedule for people to come in and be vaccinated.

There has to be a system - you can't have hordes of people storming the local hospital like fans at a Who concert. (older people will get the reference).

I could see a lottery system like that movie "Contagion." if your number doesn't come up, you might have to wait weeks or months to be vaccinated.

And - if the powers-that-be tried to jump college or pro athletes to the front of the line, there would be a heck of a backlash.

All of that makes a Spring football season a very iffy proposition.

There are reports of multiple players who have had long-term issues. There's a lineman at Indiana who got in March and is still having heart issues. The % is low. But even if it's 1%, that's pretty much one guy per team ending up with long-term problems.

There are reports of multiple players who have had long-term issues. There's a lineman at Indiana who got in March and is still having heart issues. The % is low. But even if it's 1%, that's pretty much one guy per team ending up with long-term problems.
howeda, that is anecdotal. The US is closing in on 70 million completed tests. We don't need anecdotal. This is going to be the most tested virus in history.

Keep making crap up

howeda, that is anecdotal. The US is closing in on 70 million completed tests. We don't need anecdotal. This is going to be the most tested virus in history.
In terms of deciding whether to play football, it's not. I don't know the # of players who have had issues, but it's more than 0, and I'd hope the folks making the decision have better info. Universities are going to be necessarily more risk averse than the pros.

Some guy is right on the timing of a vaccine. if Drug Company X developed a verified and proven vaccine on Jan 1st, then they have to manufacture 200 to 300-million doses - if not more - distribute those doses to hospitals and clinics around the country, and then those hospitals and clinics need to work out a schedule for people to come in and be vaccinated.

There has to be a system - you can't have hordes of people storming the local hospital like fans at a Who concert. (older people will get the reference).

I could see a lottery system like that movie "Contagion." if your number doesn't come up, you might have to wait weeks or months to be vaccinated.

And - if the powers-that-be tried to jump college or pro athletes to the front of the line, there would be a heck of a backlash.

All of that makes a Spring football season a very iffy proposition.
I would just like to point out that drug companies are already mass producing vaccines that are far enough in the test phase for them to be confident they will be effective. Why? Because it means they can start distributing their own vaccine immediately and hopefully beat out other companies who maybe are slightly behind them in the testing phases.

Will there be a vaccine for everyone right away? No. Will we be starting from 0 vaccines produced when a vaccine is approved for use? Also no.

COVID will disappear immediately after the election. So, to save the football season, move the election up to Sept 4th -- solved just in time for the Sept 5th kickoff.

Why are you showing summary stats that go back to February 1? Recorded Covid deaths did not ramp up until nearly April.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, CDC considers the 2019-2020 flu season to have run up to April: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

I don’t see anywhere in your link that this data shows post-flu season data.

Last edited:

Top Bottom