All Things Class of 2025 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

honestly don't know why a school like Kentucky wouldn't have done this earlier. Get 1-2 top 50 recruits and add in a bunch of all conference transfers and you've got the team to make the FF every year given you should have the finances to do this. weird world now where you're essentially scouting every game/team in the country all year long in addition to what you're doing with HS athletes. of course there will definitely be no tampering ever.
The tampering, which used to be illegal, will be done by someone from their NIL collective not directly employed by the university. Hanger on Collective guy: “In case you decide to put your name in the transfer portal there is a possibility there could be a $100 K payoff from (Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, etc.). That’s not a promise but I know team X is really interested in a player like you. They have seen you play many times and they aren’t really looking at anyone else.”

The tampering, which used to be illegal, will be done by someone from their NIL collective not directly employed by the university. Hanger on Collective guy: “In case you decide to put your name in the transfer portal there is a possibility there could be a $100 K payoff from (Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, etc.). That’s not a promise but I know team X is really interested in a player like you. They have seen you play many times and they aren’t really looking at anyone else.”
Most of the players have agents so those tampering calls will be further laundered by going through the agents. Hey you have this player. We can up his NIL by a 100k and we believe that the coach has a slot for him.....

Most of the players have agents so those tampering calls will be further laundered by going through the agents. Hey you have this player. We can up his NIL by a 100k and we believe that the coach has a slot for him.....
Good point! So much for amateurism.

I dont remember where I saw it but a national beat writer said he's even heard that collectives are paying kids at other schools to get the ball rolling. Hey we know it's February and you still have a month to play but here is 50k from us, if *wink wink* you transfer just keep us in mind.

The collectives need to be regulated. You can't have this setup.

New NCAA agreement has unlimited transfer options, I hope they restrict mid season transfers though and come to an agreement with the NBA not to poach players mid season. Either of those and college basketball will be ruined completely.
I don't think the NBA will poach guys mid-season. I don't think they can. The NHL can (and has) because teams retain draft rights for x number of years even while a player is playing college or juniors. The NBA poaching players as free agents I'm sure will violate the draft agreement and their collective bargaining contracts. And the players association would raise holy hell.

That said, I don't think the NCAA can prohibit mid-season transfers based on this new agreement. Unless something changes, I absolutely think you could see players moving teams before the NCAA tournament being brought in as ringers.

I don't think the NBA will poach guys mid-season. I don't think they can. The NHL can (and has) because teams retain draft rights for x number of years even while a player is playing college or juniors. The NBA poaching players as free agents I'm sure will violate the draft agreement and their collective bargaining contracts. And the players association would raise holy hell.

That said, I don't think the NCAA can prohibit mid-season transfers based on this new agreement. Unless something changes, I absolutely think you could see players moving teams before the NCAA tournament being brought in as ringers.
Like town team baseball.

I think the NCAA can say you're not eligible to play if you transfer midseason. They can't stop you from transferring and getting your $$ mid-season but I don't think they have to deem you eligible to participate.

Coyle should be proactive and bring back a veteran team. Tell Nate Mason, Jordan Murphy, Oturu...NBA reserves...anyone who's good...to start training.

I think the NCAA can say you're not eligible to play if you transfer midseason. They can't stop you from transferring and getting your $$ mid-season but I don't think they have to deem you eligible to participate.
I bet they'd lose that one in court as well.

I bet they'd lose that one in court as well.
Possible but just letting everyone who doesn't make the NCAA's change teams before the tournament is insane and will ruin college basketball. Even the courts can see that. What if they refuse to even pretend to go to class? Or even just refuse to officially enroll at the new school? Do they still have to let them play because it restricts their earnings? The NCAA still has to have to have some ability to govern their own sport.

Possible but just letting everyone who doesn't make the NCAA's change teams before the tournament is insane and will ruin college basketball. Even the courts can see that. What if they refuse to even pretend to go to class? Or even just refuse to officially enroll at the new school? Do they still have to let them play because it restricts their earnings? The NCAA still has to have to have some ability to govern their own sport.
Whether or not major college sports are ruined is of no concern to the courts. The courts are concerned with very specific issues regarding whether NCAA rules restrain an individuals ability to profit from their identity differently than any other person. The resulting damage to college sports is not for the courts to worry about.

As far as enrollment goes, I think that would be considered a reasonable requirement and wouldn't be challenged in court. Pretending to go to class - that hasn't been on the up and up going back decades.

It's already insane and ruined.

So why not go all the way. Be proactive and hire 30-year-old pros before anyone else does.

Whether or not major college sports are ruined is of no concern to the courts. The courts are concerned with very specific issues regarding whether NCAA rules restrain an individuals ability to profit from their identity differently than any other person. The resulting damage to college sports is not for the courts to worry about.

As far as enrollment goes, I think that would be considered a reasonable requirement and wouldn't be challenged in court. Pretending to go to class - that hasn't been on the up and up going back decades.
The NCAA can simply say (and already does) you must be enrolled in the university at the beginning of the semester during which the season starts to be eligible. That is perfectly reasonable and I don't see a court striking it down. This would make mid-season transfers ineligible to play.

The NCAA can simply say (and already does) you must be enrolled in the university at the beginning of the semester during which the season starts to be eligible. That is perfectly reasonable and I don't see a court striking it down. This would make mid-season transfers ineligible to play.
Players must also remain enrolled full time throughout the semester, though nothing prevents them from ignoring assignments and not going to class. But at the end of the term they would be ineligible. Athletes would have to enroll for both fall and spring semesters for sports that overlap. But for other sports that only occur during one semester, like football, the athlete could choose to blow off classes unless the coaching staff is on top of class attendance.

Players must also remain enrolled full time throughout the semester, though nothing prevents them from ignoring assignments and not going to class. But at the end of the term they would be ineligible. Athletes would have to enroll for both fall and spring semesters for sports that overlap. But for other sports that only occur during one semester, like football, the athlete could choose to blow off classes unless the coaching staff is on top of class attendance.
Except for the CFP

Interesting. He wouldn't be interested in Minnesota if we didn't reach out. If we are reaching out to him, we still have money in the NIL pot and we are still after an impact player for that last scholarship. That is as it should be.
And we are still reaching out to big wings, of which we need one. So whether it is Glenn Taylor, Ken Evans or Anthony Edwards, we are attempting to correctly fill out our roster.

His 4.4 ppg as a junior wouldn't command any money.
He averaged 11 pts 4.5 rebounds at Oregon the prior year. He had a hard time finding a slot at St Johns last year, until the end of the year where he played great the last 6 games including shutting down Scheirman of Creighton. He'll get money- but he might be affordable. 6-6 guard/wing with athleticism.

He averaged 11 pts 4.5 rebounds at Oregon the prior year. He had a hard time finding a slot at St Johns last year, until the end of the year where he played great the last 6 games including shutting down Scheirman of Creighton. He'll get money- but he might be affordable. 6-6 guard/wing with athleticism.
He had one 17 point game. Everything else is 0's and 2's mostly. Even the worst Gophers rarely have that low of scoring.

You wouldn't take a guy that averaged 11 points a game playing at Oregon? Gimme a break....those numbers are what Christie put up last season for the Gophers.
I don't know this guy. Yes, it's possible that taking a flyer on him would pay off. But his junior year stats are terrible.

A cartographer! 😗
giphy.gif

Top Bottom