All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Exactly. Plus, these days if you have a good player it is tough to hold them for 4 years let alone 5. You could red shirt a kid and by the time they get good they grad transfer on you to a competitor. Also, when you red shirt then you sort of obligate that scholly to the kid for 5 years instead of 4 and it is even worse if he doesn't develop as expected.
If you look specifically at Greenlee and Freeman this year- I would argue that there was no point in the minutes they played. Carr was being ridden into the ground with or without Greenlee. It wasn't until the end of the year that they let Willis bring the ball up the court to spell Carr. He was competent enough to do that from the beginning and give Carr 5 minutes on the bench.

If you redshirt one or both of them, and they don't develop, there is a good chance they're transferring anyway to a lower division school to play more minutes. Nobody wants to admit it, and it might not be overt, but coaches "encourage" kids to transfer all the time. Sometimes you end up with a Dhiediou (sp?) that wanted to hang around for his full allotment of 4/5 years, but if they're not playing, that's not overly common. Most kids will go where they think they can play. Being a B1G school, we are less susceptible to grad transfers out as well, as long as the player is getting playing time and it looks like you'll be competitive the next year.

per Evan:

Minnesota had strong ties to Robbins, a native of Davenport, Iowa. Robbins is the nephew of Minnesota Associate Head Coach Ed Conroy.

"Just with the unprecedented times and my uncle on the staff and my cousin on the team to be surrounded by family during this time will be good while I challenge myself at the next level and coach Pitino gave me an awesome opportunity to do that," Robbins explained.

"I’m very close with my uncle," he said. "It’s cool and it’s kind of a dream to play for my uncle and coach Pitino. Everyone knows the Pitino name, and it’s a respected name and it’s really a special situation for me."

As a sophomore Robbins averaged 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds a game, while shooting 49.9-percent from the field. His numbers improved significantly from his freshman season, where he averaged 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds a game.

Go Gophers!!

After Liam Robbins we have one scholarship left correct, assuming Carr is back. My guess it is not going to be Walton. If he had any interest in Mn I think he would have committed by now.

@mykellrob: committing may 1st....
#GoWyo
#Gophers
#MeanGreen Shared via TweetCaster

Hopefully we can fend off Wyoming (which fired its coach) and North Texas!

Anybody know if this offer is commitable at the moment?
Not sure. If it is then it sounds like he's coming from his interview with Doogie a month ago. I don't see how he ends up at Wyoming if he doesn't shoot the 3 ball as Linder wont recruit guys who don't.

Hopefully we can fend off Wyoming (which fired its coach) and North Texas!
Hopefully we can land:
1) Walton; OR
b) Murphy or Peterson from Rice; OR
*(long shot) Carton, Greenlee transfer, then b); OR finally
?Robinson.

No info, but an inference. The fact he says he is committing on May 1st could mean that Pitino told him he is option B/C, and if we don't sign Walton (or someone else) then he can commit then.
May 1st announcement makes me think likewise

Hopefully we can land:
1) Walton; OR
b) Murphy or Peterson from Rice;
*(long shot) Carton, Greenlee transfer, then b); OR finally
?Robinson.

-Carton isn't remotely interested in Minnesota.
-Don't discount Creighton in Walton's recruitment. He fits well in that system.
-I'd take Murphy before Peterson and it's not close. That being said Peterson's more likely to pick Minnesota and like others have mentioned, he brings quite a bit of versatility.
-Greenlee not transferring unless Pitino were to "push" him out

-Carton isn't remotely interested in Minnesota.
-Don't discount Creighton in Walton's recruitment. He fits well in that system.
-I'd take Murphy before Peterson and it's not close. That being said Peterson's more likely to pick Minnesota and like others have mentioned, he brings quite a bit of versatility.
-Greenlee not transferring unless Pitino were to "push" him out
Figured as much with Carton. I knew we reached out but haven't heard much since. Creighton, Marquette, UNI? Anyway, my point with that was if Carton were to come I can't imagine Greenlee sticking around.

Walton is playing things so close to the vest, who knows. Probably not here but there's a chance right?

One of the Rice guys would be a better spring pickup than Stull or Demir. Just saying.

Figured as much with Carton. I knew we reached out but haven't heard much since. Creighton, Marquette, UNI? Anyway, my point with that was if Carton were to come I can't imagine Greenlee sticking around.

Walton is playing things so close to the vest, who knows. Probably not here but there's a chance right?

One of the Rice guys would be a better spring pickup than Stull or Demir. Just saying.

Absolutely, I think Peterson could be considered a big win on the transfer trail. You're talking someone who could legitimately start at the 1/2/3. Needs to refine his outside shot and put in some work with the S&C coach but he would be an upgrade over Willis and an average HM starter at worst.

Walton... yes. Hard to say with confidence he's giving the good guys any real consideration but 17 year old minds operate in an agile manner as we all know ;). I just think Creighton is a real darkhorse.

Greenlee: probably best for the program if his schollie were to open up, but by all measures he's a great kid and can't fault him for holding a spot! Phenomenal deal for the kid to get his education paid for in full at a B1G university and serve as an insurance guy on a HM team.

Absolutely, I think Peterson could be considered a big win on the transfer trail. You're talking someone who could legitimately start at the 1/2/3. Needs to refine his outside shot and put in some work with the S&C coach but he would be an upgrade over Willis and an average HM starter at worst.

Walton... yes. Hard to say with confidence he's giving the good guys any real consideration but 17 year old minds operate in an agile manner as we all know ;). I just think Creighton is a real darkhorse.

Greenlee: probably best for the program if his schollie were to open up, but by all measures he's a great kid and can't fault him for holding a spot! Phenomenal deal for the kid to get his education paid for in full at a B1G university and serve as an insurance guy on a HM team.
A guy that I see is making a decision in a couple days is Darius Miles, 6-7 4 star who has us in his final 3. Any chance on him?

A guy that I see is making a decision in a couple days is Darius Miles, 6-7 4 star who has us in his final 3. Any chance on him?

He'd be a take but my gut feeling is Pitino knows Gophers will finish runner up to Bama and is operating as such.

Btw tho, I LOVE how Miles projects for the college game. Tall lefty guard with superb ball-handling skills and fluid shot motion. Carved out a very nice role on an extremely loaded IMG team and think he's way under-ranked.

I thought i would see it last year but we were 10th or 11th in defense in the conference. That is unacceptable if your building a winner.

I'm seeing 7th in the big ten in D Rating for conference games fwiw

I'm seeing 7th in the big ten in D Rating for conference games fwiw
Great point but we lost non con games we should not have , they count as well. Plus 7th is not average, it is mediocre and unacceptable.

Reactions: Go4

No info, but an inference. The fact he says he is committing on May 1st could mean that Pitino told him he is option B/C, and if we don't sign Walton (or someone else) then he can commit then.
exactly....the date tells you all you need to know if his offer his commitable at this moment

Top Bottom