All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

It's not an assumption by me, it's apparently the coaches plan per Ryan James. You have to go back a while to find a year without at least one defection. The coaches plan (again, per James) is to take two more guards along with Dorsey as well as a wing and a big.

I don't believe that's the "plan", rather they'd be open to it if it were the right guys.

Regarding Randall, he struggled mightily shooting the ball for OBC in adidas play. 37% on 2FGA's and sub-30% on treys and was a relatively high volume shooter (26%) with legit F Carlton Bragg leading the way.

I don't believe that's the "plan", rather they'd be open to it if it were the right guys.

Regarding Randall, he struggled mightily shooting the ball for OBC in adidas play. 37% on 2FGA's and sub-30% on treys and was a relatively high volume shooter (26%) with legit F Carlton Bragg leading the way.

I'll choose to believe Ryan James. Obviously if they miss on all of their top guys then the plan changes but I believe that's their preference. The evidence is there with all of the guards being recruited. The main point is if someone like McBrayer were to commit it would absolutely not mean that Jarvis would lose his offer.

I'll choose to believe Ryan James. Obviously if they miss on all of their top guys then the plan changes but I believe that's their preference. The evidence is there with all of the guards being recruited. The main point is if someone like McBrayer were to commit it would absolutely not mean that Jarvis would lose his offer.

I agree. Dorsey, Alex, Jarvis, a McBrayer type, and a 3.

I see. That must be the assumption others are going off of too. If another guard signs, I'd still be somewhat surprised if that doesn't put Jarvis out of the mix. I'm not a huge fan of adding more players then scholarships available and pushing someone out or expecting a transfer.

It absolutely does not put Jarvis "out of the mix" in terms of us recruiting him as hard as ever, and wanting him. Whether that dissuades Jarvis from signing here is a different question.

Also, nobody ever said there was a "plan" to sign 5 guys this fall. Rather, what has been said is that if we had 5 A-list targets want to commit, we wouldn't turn them down.
If we had Dorsey, McBrayer, Jarvis, and Alex all committed by October, I think we'd still be recruiting guys like Chris Clarke, Morrow, and Grimes but would not keep going to backup plans if they committed elsewhere. Nowadays it's often good to have a scholarship or two open in the spring/summer anyway.

Now if Konate or Diedhou fail to make it onto campus (can't see why, but this is the U...) that changes things obviously.

I don't believe that's the "plan", rather they'd be open to it if it were the right guys

I understand other programs that do it because they likely have guys going to the NBA early. We don't have any guys that currently fit that mold. Other problem with expecting a transfer or forcing someone out now is these are all Pitino guys (except one) which isn't a good idea in my book.

@EvanDaniels: Billy Wampler just committed to Drake. Shooter with size. Has range too. Very nice pick up for Drake.

Allonzo Trier commits to Arizona
"Trier will likely have an integral role as a freshman as Arizona is expected to lose freshman wing Stanley Johnson and sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson after this season. Junior big men Kaleb Tarczewski and Brandon Ashley could also depart for the NBA, and point guard T.J. McConnell is a senior."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...303188/allonzo-trier-commits-arizona-wildcats

Unless you are Ryan James how do you know that as fact?

I guess Pig would have to clarify the quote and if he read it or heard it directly from Ryan directly.

The word plan comes directly from James. I read it on GI, I have never talked to him directly as I live in Utah.

Not sure if anyone caught this, but Chris Clarke has been offered by Florida. Really not sure where this puts us now... Why do the blue-bloods have to pounce on every big time target we're pursuing? Recruiting's just too unfair.

I think we were already out of the running for Clarke, just as we were for Trier when both blew up like crazy. It's the nature of the beast. Get a practice facility and a couple sweet 16s under Pitino's belt and things may change a bit.

After Dorsey committed, the staff continued to recruit Jarvis. That's a pretty good indication what Ryan James said is true. Besides, you won't find anyone more plugged in than Ryan James when it comes to basketball.

Jonathan Nwankwo, Class of 2015 PF playing for House of Sports (NY), will go on an official visit to Minnesota on September 4th.

Jonathan Nwankwo, Class of 2015 PF playing for House of Sports (NY), will go on an official visit to Minnesota on September 4th.

Nice! He's a big strong PF who has a big ten ready body, and is already a strong rebounder. Offers from Seton Hall, Tennessee, Boston College, Minnesota, Fordham, Drexel, and Manhattan among other schools. I'd love to have Nwankwo, but obviously I hope AI makes things easier and commits soon.

Ryan James just tweeted that Nwankwo will likely be joined by others. Interesting...

Nice! He's a big strong PF who has a big ten ready body, and is already a strong rebounder. Offers from Seton Hall, Tennessee, Boston College, Minnesota, Fordham, Drexel, and Manhattan among other schools. I'd love to have Nwankwo, but obviously I hope AI makes things easier and commits soon.

What about Dorsey, Alex, Jarvis and Nwankwo for the 2015 class...

What is the deal with Djuan Pipper he is at North Idaho College, does he need to play 2 year in JC?

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_intent.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1487&category=Intent&slid=2

After Dorsey committed, the staff continued to recruit Jarvis. That's a pretty good indication what Ryan James said is true.

Nobody is arguing if we would still want Jarvis after Dorsey commited. It's more if we would still take him after we add another guard (PF, ce and big) and our scholarships are all occupied for the following season.

Other question is would he want to come here after we pick up another combo guard and all that added competition for playing time.

Nobody is arguing if we would still want Jarvis after Dorsey commited. It's more if we would still take him after we add another guard (PF, ce and big) and our scholarships are all occupied for the following season.

Other question is would he want to come here after we pick up another combo guard and all that added competition for playing time.

And the answer is almost assuredly yes. As said before, somebody almost always leaves. A scholarship will be there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nwankwo has held a Gopher offer for a long time and just this morning produced a final 6 of MN, Tennessee, Seton Hall, Rice, Temple,Fordham</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/496107508188987392">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>6-ft-9 big body post Jonathan Nwankwo's official visit to Minnesota is nearly finalized. The 2015 big will likely be joined by others.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/496107074619592704">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jonathan Nwankwo, Class of 2015 PF playing for House of Sports (NY), will go on an official visit to Minnesota on September 4th.</p>— Pat Lawless (@GiveNGobball) <a href="https://twitter.com/GiveNGobball/statuses/496082270135255040">August 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

somebody almost always leaves.

And what if they all want to stay. Not a fan of this type of recruiting unless you have guys potentially headed to the NBA early, which we don't.

These are all Pitino's recruits (again, except Buggs) don't like forcing one out or assuming someone will leave.

And what if they all want to stay. Not a fan of this type of recruiting unless you have guys potentially headed to the NBA early, which we don't.

These are all Pitino's recruits (again, except Buggs) don't like forcing one out or assuming someone will leave.

As Ryan James points out, there hasn't been a year in a LONNNGGGGG time without a guy transferring out of the Gopher program. It's just the nature of the beast. I think it would be very reasonable to go for a 5 person class.

Well it happens everywhere so you'll probably need to get used to it. The general consensus is that Joe Coleman was run off so Pitino has showed he's willing to do it. Personally, I want whatever is best for the team (legally of course).

The general consensus is that Joe Coleman was run off so Pitino has showed he's willing to do it

That's very different, its not one of his guys he just recruited in here.

The general consensus is Joe wanted to transfer out of here long before Pitino got hired, I have no reason to believe he was forced out, more that he was not begged to stay.

As Ryan James points out, there hasn't been a year in a LONNNGGGGG time without a guy transferring out of the Gopher program

Irrelevant. Tubby's gone and it's pretty well documented why gophers didn't want to stick around and play for him.

That's very different, its not one of his guys he just recruited in here.

The general consensus is Joe thought wanted to transfer out of here before Pitino got hired, I have no reason to believe he was forced out, more not begged to stay.

We can agree to disagree but the important thing is that it seems that the staff is looking at 5 for this class.

Irrelevant. Tubby's gone and it's pretty well documented why gophers didn't want to stick around and play for him.

Sure, but there's still bound to be a player or two unhappy with playing time even if Pitino is a great coach. Have you looked at the transfer numbers from this offseason? 550! That's almost an average of 2 per D1 team. I think it's an extremely safe bet to go with a 5 man class.

Top Bottom