All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

If it's true that Jarvis's scholarship doesn't count against us I would like to see us bank it for 2016. Dream class would be adding Coffey and Ponds with Hurt already committed.

The idea of tieing up scholarships for a dead year doesn't seem very attractive to me for guys who average in the area of 5 points a game no matter how tall they are. Iowa State targeted guys who had NBA futures or scored points. One is fine but 3 guys like that seems odd when we already went through the Lofton experiment.

Coach P. and staff must do everything they possible can to strength the 2016/17 squad, and they are very aware of this.

Agree with Howie. Most everybody realizes 2015-16 is going to be a difficult one win-loss wise, and it seems quite apparent Richie knows 2016-17 is the season people will expect to start seeing tangible results. This season is all about seeing hope for the future, but in Year 4 the expectations will get ratcheted up, as they should. Having 2 or 3 experienced transfers ready for 2016-17 tells me that's the year Richie and staff are pointing toward, no matter what his public proclamations are.

If it's true that Jarvis's scholarship doesn't count against us I would like to see us bank it for 2016. Dream class would be adding Coffey and Ponds with Hurt already committed.

We can do that anyway and I'm sure we're trying. There is no realistic chance that we'll go a whole year without another scholarship opening up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

its-happening.gif

2016-17 Depth Chart

PG - Dorsey / Ponds
SG - Mason / McBrayer
SF - Fitzgerald / Hurt / Gilbert
PF - Murphy / Buggs / Diedhiou
C - Lynch / Obekpa / Konate

2016-17 Depth Chart

PG - Dorsey / Ponds
SG - Mason / McBrayer

I think Obekpa would start if he does come here. He is more of a "proven" player against high level competition and he doesn't foul as much as Lynch.

I think Obekpa would start if he does come here. He is more of a "proven" player against high level competition and he doesn't foul as much as Lynch.
Yeah I was back and fourth. About as deep of a center platoon we could hope for tho.

Watching highlights, he'd be perfect running the floor for us. Really athletic and good at finishing around the hoop. I also think he could potentially play some 4 for us. Really, really hope we get him.

Obekpa was the linchpin for the Red Storm’s defense the past three seasons, ranking among the national leaders in shot-blocking each season. But he also never developed offensively and had multiple off-the-court issues. He was suspended two exhibition games his sophomore year for violating university rules, and he was suspended for the NCAA Tournament last season after he tested positive for marijuana use, destroying the Johnnies’ hopes of a March run. He was also ejected from two games last season. Really really hope we get him after all Pitino did say he wants to recruit kids whom he would let babysit his children.

Obekpa was the linchpin for the Red Storm’s defense the past three seasons, ranking among the national leaders in shot-blocking each season. But he also never developed offensively and had multiple off-the-court issues. He was suspended two exhibition games his sophomore year for violating university rules, and he was suspended for the NCAA Tournament last season after he tested positive for marijuana use, destroying the Johnnies’ hopes of a March run. He was also ejected from two games last season. Really really hope we get him after all Pitino did say he wants to recruit kids whom he would let babysit his children.

Looks like he is fine around children. :D

Sounds like a real winner. Starting to wonder about Pitino Jr. How come he is not going to Oregon? Prototypical Dana Altman recruit.

Sounds like a real winner. Starting to wonder about Pitino Jr. How come he is not going to Oregon? Prototypical Dana Altman recruit.

- post players aren't necessary in the Big Ten anymore

- draymond green started for the champs, therefore Jordan Murphy will be fine playing in the post

- we don't need obekpa. we have diedhou and konate

- post players aren't necessary in the Big Ten anymore

- draymond green started for the champs, therefore Jordan Murphy will be fine playing in the post

- we don't need obekpa. we have diedhou and konate

I don't know which one of these statements is more preposterous, but I'll stick with the last one. Obekpa averaged 6.2 rebounds and 4 blocks as a true freshman, and was in the vicinity of those numbers last year.

The whole Gophers team averaged 3 blocks per game, not to mention Obekpa is the same age as Diedhiou right now. I'll take him in a second.

2016-17 Depth Chart

PG - Dorsey / Ponds
SG - Mason / McBrayer

I'd rather take my chances with Lofton than Obekpa. He is actually eligible to play. He can potenially score. Who is going to score on a consistent basis of the 9 "big guys"? Murphy is the only potential guy...Fitzgerald avg 3ppg, Hurt doesn't score when guarded in HS, Gilbert is unorthodox, Buggs is an amusement park, Diedhiou and Konate aren't expected to score, Obekpa hasn't scored in 3 years and brings baggage, and Lynch "might" be able get a half dozen points in the Big Ten if he can improve, stop fouling, get quicker etc.
That's three scholarships you can't use for a total of three years to gain maybe 10 to 12 points ppg between the three of them.
Who is going to score???? Joey and Carlos graduate....then Murphy better be a 20ppg guy.
Sorry, I don't like the roster management...the evaluation of who to pursue etc

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25230241/nc-states-kyle-washington-to-transfer-to-cincinnati Would have been a lot more exciting to hear he was visiting. Somebody who can potentially average double figures and rebound.

Obekpa is a better rebounder than Washington and is an elite shotblocker. One of the best in the entire country. He can single handidly cause problems for other teams in the paint defensively. Did you watch the St. Johns game even? Our problems over the past couple years have not been scoring related anyways.

Wait this Obekpa kid smoked weed? Not only should he never be a Gopher, he should probably be arrested or maybe even shot. I'd probably shoot Pitino for even considering him. This shall not stand.

Wait this Obekpa kid smoked weed? Not only should he never be a Gopher, he should probably be arrested or maybe even shot. I'd probably shoot Pitino for even considering him. This shall not stand.

your sarcasm and hyperbole can't be this stupid, can it? you do realize him smoking weed led to his suspension for the f'n ncaa tournament!!!! yes, college kids smoke pot. we get it. but somehow obekpa was the only one stupid enough to do it and get caught and suspended for f'n ncaa tournament!!!! that doesn't mean he should be tarred and feathered, but you better believe his team was pissed at him.

hyperbole away though.

your sarcasm and hyperbole can't be this stupid, can it? you do realize him smoking weed led to his suspension for the f'n ncaa tournament!!!! yes, college kids smoke pot. we get it. but somehow obekpa was the only one stupid enough to do it and get caught and suspended for f'n ncaa tournament!!!! that doesn't mean he should be tarred and feathered, but you better believe his team was pissed at him.

hyperbole away though.

But can he hoop?

hyperbole away though.

Oh I'm plenty stupid. Getting suspended from the NCAA Tournament for smoking weed was incredibly stupid and hurt the team. I also don't think it should preclude the Gophers from looking at him as a player, nor would it be an embarrassment if they were to sign him.

Getting suspended from the NCAA Tournament for smoking weed was incredibly stupid and hurt the team. I also don't think it should preclude the Gophers from looking at him as a player, nor would it be an embarrassment if they were to sign him.

gotcha, i think we're on the same page.

Top Bottom