All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Will the recruiting class and or roster remain the same till the season opener?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

So he won't be eligible at MN, but he can get into BC or Indiana?

So he won't be eligible at MN, but he can get into BC or Indiana?

If those schools take him they'll be taking the same risk Minnesota would have been taking. ... will the NCAA issues prevent him from playing DI basketball in 2015-16? Pitino wisely chose not to take that risk, and set him free to pursue other opportunities. The NCAA may change its tune between now and September, but Pitino wasn't going to wait around to find out. If he did, he risks wasting a scholarship. Obviously, he felt Murphy (immediate help) and/or Fitzgerald (help starting in 2016-17) was the better way to go over the uncertainty of Nwankwo's eligibility/future.

I don't know how we would have room for him unless we have someone currently who may be transferring out soon. He's 6'6" and averaged 13.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game for San Jose State, who went 2-28 last year with no wins over Division I opponents. Best player off of terrible team?

Interesting. Would be similar to the Mayo brothers both playing in Milwaukee (Bucks/Marquette), if he came here.

I don't know how we would have room for him unless we have someone currently who may be transferring out soon. He's 6'6" and averaged 13.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game for San Jose State, who went 2-28 last year with no wins over Division I opponents. Best player off of terrible team?

Maybe he'd pay his own way like JR Smith's brother did at UL for Rick?

The family has money

Maybe he'd pay his own way like JR Smith's brother did at UL for Rick?

and he could live with his brother. You might be onto something, or ...

Be nice to have some more offense. Another guy to sit out though.

Interesting? To me the Louisville connection means either Richard or Rich got the other one interested?.The brother relation makes you wonder? We could certainly use another scorer. If we're still recruiting, it means someone might be in the process of decommiting or transfering. Brings a lot of questions to mind, but either way I'd be happy to have him
#NowWeGotBadBlood

Regarding Muhammad:

"One source suggested Muhammad’s departure could help the team, saying he wasn’t the best off-the-court influence on team."

Yeah, no thanks.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sjsu/2015/05/23/san-jose-states-rashad-muhammad-to-transfer/#more-2090

Muhammad has two years left to play, plus a redshirt year available to use if he has to sit out a season after transferring.

There could be grounds for him to appeal for immediate eligibility if San Jose State remains under APR sanctions from the NCAA.

The Spartans served a postseason ban this season, along with reduced practice time, because of its APR score of 911. Schools must be above 930 over a rolling four-year period to avoid those Level One sanctions.
The NCAA will release its latest APR scores for the 2013-14 academic year on Wednesday. To boost its multi-year score to that 930 threshold, SJSU must achieve a single-year score of 980. The APR measures eligbility, retention and graduation and SJSU has long maintained it expects the APR penalties to be a one-year issue. But if the Spartans have to deal with a postseason ban again, that could provide reason for Muhammad to appeal to play right away at his new school.

Muhammad has two years left to play, plus a redshirt year available to use if he has to sit out a season after transferring.

There could be grounds for him to appeal for immediate eligibility if San Jose State remains under APR sanctions from the NCAA.

The Spartans served a postseason ban this season, along with reduced practice time, because of its APR score of 911. Schools must be above 930 over a rolling four-year period to avoid those Level One sanctions.
The NCAA will release its latest APR scores for the 2013-14 academic year on Wednesday. To boost its multi-year score to that 930 threshold, SJSU must achieve a single-year score of 980. The APR measures eligbility, retention and graduation and SJSU has long maintained it expects the APR penalties to be a one-year issue. But if the Spartans have to deal with a postseason ban again, that could provide reason for Muhammad to appeal to play right away at his new school.

San Jose State will be eligible for the 2015-16 postseason. The APR stuff came out very recently. It's my understanding Alcorn State, Central Arkansas (appears Corliss Williamson left the place in an academic mess), Florida A&M, and Stetson are the only 4 schools ineligible for the postseason. Central Arkansas and Florida A&M are repeat offenders.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Class Finally Complete? Maybe by the start of the Big Ten season we can feel comfortable there won't be any more additions?
And maybe not... the two kids who signed letters of intent with Tubby, Joe Coleman, Wally Ellenson, Djuan Piper, Daquein McNeil, Josh Martin, Konate & Diehiou roller coaster, Rakeem Buckles, Zach Lofton, Jonathan Nwanko, Oto's knee problems and now Jarvis Johnson's health preventing him from playing....that's a lot of roster stuff for two seasons in the books. That's 14 people involved in roster discussions and I might be forgetting some?

Class Finally Complete? Maybe by the start of the Big Ten season we can feel comfortable there won't be any more additions?
And maybe not... the two kids who signed letters of intent with Tubby, Joe Coleman, Wally Ellenson, Djuan Piper, Daquein McNeil, Josh Martin, Konate & Diehiou roller coaster, Rakeem Buckles, Zach Lofton, Jonathan Nwanko, Oto's knee problems and now Jarvis Johnson's health preventing him from playing....that's a lot of roster stuff for two seasons in the books. That's 14 people involved in roster discussions and I might be forgetting some?

There are no more scholarships available for 15. Players have enrolled in summer classes so if we lose anyone now we can only replace them with walk-ons. so this should be shifted to the all things 2016 thread.

Djuan piper was never committed. I'm not sure why you have Konate on here he just went through normal stuff as an international student. Oto also signed a letter of intent with tubby and I only count 12 on that list... before I'd remove piper and Konate.

Yep, Piper obviously there were serious academic issues (still not playing for a DI program), and Konate arrived on campus in the fall (2014) as expected. They don't belong on the list.

Buckles would have put us in the dance two years ago. There is something wrong at the U regarding basketball and it isn't the coaching staff.

Is Johnson's scholarship available, here's a wish list alternative, oops, thought he was 2015..

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...its-from-michigan/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I don't think so. Pitino already said we're giving Johnson his Scholarship for this year and we haven't gotten a waiver from the NCAA yet(which, if received would mean Jarvis would not be allowed to play college basketball anywhere). I doubt anyone has even applied for a waiver yet and I don't even know if one would be granted. Jarvis already enrolled in classes and is using that scholarship so we couldn't, and shouldn't even think about, take it away from him now. Meaning the earliest that spot is available would be 2016.

I don't think so. Pitino already said we're giving Johnson his Scholarship for this year and we haven't gotten a waiver from the NCAA yet(which, if received would mean Jarvis would not be allowed to play college basketball anywhere). I doubt anyone has even applied for a waiver yet and I don't even know if one would be granted. Jarvis already enrolled in classes and is using that scholarship so we couldn't, and shouldn't even think about, take it away from him now. Meaning the earliest that spot is available would be 2016.

No it wouldn't.

Buckles would have put us in the dance two years ago. There is something wrong at the U regarding basketball and it isn't the coaching staff.

So true. The coaching staff is Final Four material, the rest of the program sucks.:)

Was there a mention that Jarvis would receive the same scholarship that Oto received due to being physically unable to play? If so, wouldn't that mean the scholarship did not count against the scholarships given to players physically able to play?

It would seem that the paperwork for that option hasn't yet been filled out since everything is still in such flux, but I would suspect that would be the route that the basketball program would go.

My bad. You are correct. I still question the administration and its support and especially communication with the basketball program.

Why hasn't Jerry Kill, who hands out a lot more scholarships in a sport with a higher attrition rate due to physical reasons, hasn't had the same relative rate of turnover and misses/ Must be that those sinister, evil, malevolently anti-sport forces at the U are out to get only the men's BB program.

Top Bottom