All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

What I really like about this class is so many guys can handle the rock. Let's start the season tomorrow

per Marcus:

Murphy said the potential to make an immediate impact and compete for playing time factored in his decision.

"But I just want to be part of the team and make them better," he said. "I really put in hard work in the weight room. I really feel like my physical presence right now could help next year. But as it improves over time, I think I can actually be a factor."

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Eric Bossi said Murphy's natural position is power forward, comparing him to undersized Big Ten players that thrived such as Michigan State's Branden Dawson and Indiana's Troy Williams.

"He's a pretty good late pickup and a good overall player," Bossi said. "Rebounds very well, solid athlete and has some versatility. He's probably more of a combo forward."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ketball-coach-richard-pitino-lands-three-star

Go Gophers!!

I am probably a little too excited about this commitment as it's really changed my perception of where the program is headed. With the disappointing season, Pitino rumors, McHale leaving, and then missing out on Malik Ellison it really felt like this program was all of a sudden stuck in neutral (or perhaps even in reverse) with no real game plan on how to get back on track. Just getting this one recruiting win feels so enormous because of when this staff got it and the other potential options for this scholarship. We now have 3 in the Rivals top 150 committed for next year and also have Jarvis (at one pointed rated highly) who changed the recent trend of the top kids not staying home.

Murphy in particular gives us something that we didn't have in that he probably is a 4, but handles the ball well enough to play some 3. I love that he's a former Shaka recruit, even if Shaka didn't find a way to get him to Texas. You know he's willing to play hard on the defensive end if Shaka got him to come to VCU over some of his other offers. It's really nice to add a kid with some athleticism in the front court that doesn't come with the drawback of being totally raw.

Some interesting comments about Murphy from a VCU site back when he committed there. Among other things in the thread is an article that states Murphy's plan was to go to Summer school each year to get his Bachelor's in 3 years and be working on his Master's in year 4. http://forums.vcuramnation.com/threads/jordan-murphy-signs-to-be-a-ram.13976/page-6

I am probably a little too excited about this commitment as it's really changed my perception of where the program is headed. With the disappointing season, Pitino rumors, McHale leaving, and then missing out on Malik Ellison it really felt like this program was all of a sudden stuck in neutral (or perhaps even in reverse) with no real game plan on how to get back on track. Just getting this one recruiting win feels so enormous because of when this staff got it and the other potential options for this scholarship.

Summed up nicely, EG#9. Next year's squad might very well put up the same record as this year's but I really hope we won't have the same reaction by fans. They'll be raw and inexperienced, but, from all reports, a lot more athletic with a much higher ceiling. Add what Barake and Gaston might develop into, and it's hard not to look further down the road. Just hope people will be patient with them, but the clock is already ticking on the next whipping boy for the usual suspects.

Summed up nicely, EG#9. Next year's squad might very well put up the same record as this year's but I really hope we won't have the same reaction by fans. They'll be raw and inexperienced, but, from all reports, a lot more athletic with a much higher ceiling. Add what Barake and Gaston might develop into, and it's hard not to look further down the road. Just hope people will be patient with them, but the clock is already ticking on the next whipping boy for the usual suspects.

Rotsa Ruck.

:rolleyes:

I am probably a little too excited about this commitment as it's really changed my perception of where the program is headed. With the disappointing season, Pitino rumors, McHale leaving, and then missing out on Malik Ellison it really felt like this program was all of a sudden stuck in neutral (or perhaps even in reverse) with no real game plan on how to get back on track. Just getting this one recruiting win feels so enormous because of when this staff got it and the other potential options for this scholarship. We now have 3 in the Rivals top 150 committed for next year and also have Jarvis (at one pointed rated highly) who changed the recent trend of the top kids not staying home.

Murphy in particular gives us something that we didn't have in that he probably is a 4, but handles the ball well enough to play some 3. I love that he's a former Shaka recruit, even if Shaka didn't find a way to get him to Texas. You know he's willing to play hard on the defensive end if Shaka got him to come to VCU over some of his other offers. It's really nice to add a kid with some athleticism in the front court that doesn't come with the drawback of being totally raw.

Some interesting comments about Murphy from a VCU site back when he committed there. Among other things in the thread is an article that states Murphy's plan was to go to Summer school each year to get his Bachelor's in 3 years and be working on his Master's in year 4. http://forums.vcuramnation.com/threads/jordan-murphy-signs-to-be-a-ram.13976/page-6

Excellent!!

I love that he's a former Shaka recruit, even if Shaka didn't find a way to get him to Texas. You know he's willing to play hard on the defensive end if Shaka got him to come to VCU over some of his other offers. It's really nice to add a kid with some athleticism in the front court that doesn't come with the drawback of being totally raw.

Really? How about being excited that Pitino feels he can play in his system, knowing that he is willing to play hard on the defensive end! Have a little faith in your coach instead of some dude named Shaka....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? How about being excited that Pitino feels he can play in his system, knowing that he is willing to play hard on the defensive end! Have a little faith in your coach instead of some dude named Shaka....

Really? Is that all you do is bash people? All he is saying is that it validates that Murphy is a fit. How you turn that into a rip is beyond silly.

Really? Is that all you do is bash people? All he is saying is that it validates that Murphy is a fit. How you turn that into a rip is beyond silly.

I didn't turn it into a rip. Just found it comical that Shaka was the gold standard for finding players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't turn it into a rip. Just found it comical that Shaka was the gold standard for finding players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaka is a good standard for finding a kid who will run through a brick wall if that's what it takes to win. Those players in his first few years at VCU won based solely on effort.

One never knows, another scholarship may open up soon. Nice thing is with the Murphy signing, don't need to fill it with just any warm body. Appears to be a nice pick-up this late in the process.

another scholarship may open up soon

I'm sure there are a few idiots hoping Gas or Buggs moves on due to Jordan joining the team. Unlikely. But who know, anything can happen... Flip might still hire Pitino to coach the Wolves :).

I'm sure there are a few idiots hoping Gas or Buggs moves on due to Jordan joining the team. Unlikely. But who know, anything can happen... Flip might still hire Pitino to coach the Wolves :).

Don't think it will be anyone on the current roster. With the sheer size of the recruiting class it's more likely something's to go amiss in that regard. Cross the fingers, as always.

Great looking class IMO. Lots of potential & look to be a fun group to watch as they improve. We need them to have more discipline & mental toughness compared to Lofton & Martin. Couple years will define them.

Great looking class IMO. Lots of potential & look to be a fun group to watch as they improve. We need them to have more discipline & mental toughness compared to Lofton & Martin. Couple years will define them.

Thinking the same.:cheer:

1) Having athletic players that fit the system is a huge step forward, it will show in 2016-7 if not this season.
2)The time frame of a turnaround makes it obvious why some coaches run guys off. Being in your third year and finally having freshmen who fit your system is very trying for coaches. He finally gets to use guys who fit his system (about the time the fans think "this is year three, NCAA's") in year three and they are only freshmen.
3) The short term fixes or reaches did not work, and I would expect he learned a lot from the last two years.

1) Having athletic players that fit the system is a huge step forward, it will show in 2016-7 if not this season.
2)The time frame of a turnaround makes it obvious why some coaches run guys off. Being in your third year and finally having freshmen who fit your system is very trying for coaches. He finally gets to use guys who fit his system (about the time the fans think "this is year three, NCAA's") in year three and they are only freshmen.
3) The short term fixes or reaches did not work, and I would expect he learned a lot from the last two years.

Don't agree with this. Deandre was very effective in Pitino's first year. Malik was as well the first half of the season, his shooting fell off very badly the second half. We were a Rakeem Buckles away from being an NCAA tournament team in his first year as head coach. Not sure how much better he could have done, recruiting wise in his first year, during the Spring recruiting period.

Don't agree with this. Deandre was very effective in Pitino's first year. Malik was as well the first half of the season, his shooting fell off very badly the second half. We were a Rakeem Buckles away from being an NCAA tournament team in his first year as head coach. Not sure how much better he could have done, recruiting wise in his first year, during the Spring recruiting period.

Beat me to it.

Is there a limit to the number of walkons? ie does this end the idea of Lofton coming back?

Is there a limit to the number of walkons? ie does this end the idea of Lofton coming back?

I sure hope so! If he wasn't a local kid, this board wouldn't give him two thoughts after Murphy committed.

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Also thinking this.
While one-and-done has its fans, THIS is what I'm talkin' about.

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
2015 Minnesota commit Jonathan Nwankwo of Victory Rock Prep (FL) has received a release from his letter of intent.

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
2015 Minnesota commit Jonathan Nwankwo of Victory Rock Prep (FL) has received a release from his letter of intent.

A little surprised since he seemed truly happy about being a Gopher, but with Lynch on board for two years after sitting out, he wasn't going to be more than a role player for the next three years.

Top Bottom