All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Chet could be the next magic Johnson and be the one player to change a team from bottom big ten to the top 7’1 point guard leading his team out of mediocrity into a blue blood . Dreaming of course.

Call me crazy but part of me thinks chet is a bust 5 star prospect, still think he is a good player

Call me crazy but part of me thinks chet is a bust 5 star prospect, still think he is a good player
About half of these so called 5 starts never make all conference or make the final 4. Many lack skill. That is not a issue for Chet. His talent and skill nearly match.

Chet Holmgren has 1.000 rating on 247.

Since 2004 only Dwight Howard, Andrew Wiggins, Greg Oden, and RJ Barret have been 1.000. That's 3 #1 picks and a 3rd overall pick.

Would you want to be a star among stars or the best player on a mediocre team?
Would you rather be the first pick in the NBA Draft after playing a year with your friends or playing a year on a team that plays mostly weak competition and then gets their ass whipped in the tournament.

He'll be the No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.
I freely admit that I don't know much of anything when it comes to basketball.

But this is just hard to accept.

Slender, in the NBA right now? I assume it would be to only shoot 3pts and never have to do anything where you physically touch another player. I would be afraid for his body.

I freely admit that I don't know much of anything when it comes to basketball.

But this is just hard to accept.

Slender, in the NBA right now? I assume it would be to only shoot 3pts and never have to do anything where you physically touch another player. I would be afraid for his body.
You are making the false assumption that they actually play defense in the NBA.

You are making the false assumption that they actually play defense in the NBA.
So why doesn't the NBA just hire some person who has spent the last 10 years of their life practicing 3pt shots in a gym for 80hrs a week, nonstop?

Literally doesn't matter what size they are, so long as they can hit the shot.

What would happen if Chet Holmgren, the home grown star decided to wear the maroon & gold ? I think it would alter the direction of future Minnesota Gopher Basketball in recruiting local talent besides his ability to transform Minnesota into a formable Big Ten leader.. There was time when a players like Kevin McHale or Randy Breuer proudly wanted to play for the Gophers, and had no altered outcome ending up as solid pro-players...Holmgren staying home might be a hyped dream for so many local fans, since we can only hope he is our next.. Minnesota Gophers Legend.....

Don't short-shrift what just happened after the close of Luka Garza's career at Iowa. After declaring, he puts together a highlight reel NFT. Holds an auction and takes down 40K for himself to keep / donate to Iowa Children's Hospital.

Now. Imagine Chet goes to the U of M for 1 year. When he's done, he puts together an NFT to profit off his own NIL. Instead of drawing on Iowa Hawkeye fans, he draws on the fan base of Minnesota with more fortune 500 companies per capita than any other state in the union with limited (and to date only 1 D1 school (Tommies are coming....). Don't overlook this change. NIL could change the landscape of where these youngsters decide to go. NBA draft status is not promised to anyone, even 4 Stars. In a year or two, guys might be able to have their roommates sell t-shirts in the parking lot to pay for the postgame pizza party / kegger. That reality is coming. Staying home and drawing upon that bulit in fanbase is coming. Could be the real game changer for Ben Johnson if he can coach too.

Would you rather be the first pick in the NBA Draft after playing a year with your friends or playing a year on a team that plays mostly weak competition and then gets their ass whipped in the tournament.
Or play on the tournament or not

In all honesty, if I were Chet, I would go to Michigan. They already have a post player. They can use him on the perimeter and cutting through the lane. Their coach is an NBA vet who experienced similar pressure as one of the fab 5. Jalen can mentor Chet for the NBA.
And finally, Michigan will play in the NCAA tournament.

To me, it's a no brainer. That being said, I would love to see Chet in the maroon and gold.

In all honesty, if I were Chet, I would go to Michigan. They already have a post player. They can use him on the perimeter and cutting through the lane. Their coach is an NBA vet who experienced similar pressure as one of the fab 5. Jalen can mentor Chet for the NBA.

To me, it's a no brainer. That being said, I would love to see Chet in the maroon and gold.

Yup, if he wants to be in the tourney for sure next year and have a good chance for a run, you don't come here.

So why doesn't the NBA just hire some person who has spent the last 10 years of their life practicing 3pt shots in a gym for 80hrs a week, nonstop?

Literally doesn't matter what size they are, so long as they can hit the shot.
because size and athleticism do matter. A lot. A 5’9” dude who can’t move would never get a shot off. You’re being intentionally dense.

because size and athleticism do matter. A lot. A 5’9” dude who can’t move would never get a shot off. You’re being intentionally dense.
A 5’9” dude who can move very well, could.

Therefore, being 7’1” (and 130lbs) sounds like it’s irrelevant?

The pitch I would always make to a player like this is that, for every elite program, there's a Johnny Dawkins who saw the potential of the situation and took the leap of faith. Dawkins is the legend of legends at Duke in my opinion, the father of his country. Do you want to be that, young man?

Yup, if he wants to be in the tourney for sure next year and have a good chance for a run, you don't come here.
With "fans" like these, who needs sconny or iowegian fans to put us down!

Why anyone would want to play for a mediocre team instead of a national title contender is beyond me.
Seriously?
Put it this way: Why would anyone want to be a golden gopher fan? Why wouldn't you just cheer for Gonzaga? Kansas? Baylor for a year? You make choices. Joe Mauer elected to take less (a little) because being a Twin was part of his identity. Maybe Chet, like Parker Fox last week, says "Screw it. I want to represent my favorite team growing up." Like Chet, he had a ton of other options. We make such choices because the pros outweigh the cons.

In my opinion, there would be more value in playing for your childhood team, lifting them to a 6 seed, playing them into the second round, and becoming the #1 overall pick, than being the "next guy" at program X to help them to a 1 seed and lose in round 4 of the tourney. That's me. That was Oturo. He could have gone to Kansas in the middle of 12 Big 12 Championship runs. That was Humphries. He could have gone to a number of ACC teams. That was Coffey. He could have taken his talents tot he Big 12.

Top Bottom