All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Kispert has to be better than what he looked like in the tourney.

Well, do you remember Adam Morrison? Colossal bust. I'm not saying Kispert will be a bust but there certainly is a precedent for that. Actually, if you look at all the Gonzaga players who have gone into the NBA in this century, only the following have been good:

Domantas Sabonis
Brandon Clark

Kelly Olynk has been average over his career.

Rui Hachimura has been all right over his two years but nowhere near the top of his draft class. He plays a lot but he plays for a terrible team.

Well, do you remember Adam Morrison? Colossal bust. I'm not saying Kispert will be a bust but there certainly is a precedent for that. Actually, if you look at all the Gonzaga players who have gone into the NBA in this century, only the following have been good:

Domantas Sabonis
Brandon Clark

Rui Hachimura has been all right over his two years but nowhere near the top of his draft class. He plays a lot but he plays for a terrible team.
Zach Collins was decent, but I think Portland will let him go once contract expires. He was their first ever one and done, even though he came off the bench. Just can't stay healthy

Kispert has to be better than what he looked like in the tourney.
He looked solid and above average, but I was shocked to hear that he was an all American during the championship game. I obviously haven’t been watching them closely, but he did not stand out as a threat in the final four.

Yea his defense was bad. UCLA went right at him they ran pick and roll when Kispert switched they took him to the hoop.

per Shama:

New University of Minnesota basketball coach Ben Johnson has commitments from three transfers so far but interestingly none play the power forward position occupied last season by Brandon Johnson. It’s possible that spot could be filled next season by a state native, with Minnesotans Chet Holmgren, Race Thompson, Nate Reuvers and Dawson Garcia attracting speculation.

College basketball is a fluid landscape like never before with players and coaches frequently changing addresses. It’s evident Holmgren and his father David Holmgren didn’t want to make a commitment last fall during the signing period for high school players. They decided to see who is coming and going this spring, but soon the nation’s No. 1 recruit in the class of 2021 will have to choose either a college or an opportunity in the NBA’s development league following Chet’s superlative career at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis. (It’s interesting that ongoing internet articles have Chet choosing Gonzaga but offer no definitive sources.)

Ben Johnson is trying to make Chet a Gopher, a task perhaps made easier with his dad being a U alum. Chet is a gifted two-way player who Johnson could offer to build his offense and defense around. At 7-feet, but only about 200 pounds, Holmgren needs physical support from a big center. If center Liam Robbins remains with the Gophers he could be a bargaining chip for Johnson in the recruitment of Holmgren, but Robbins entered the transfer portal as of yesterday.

Go Gophers!!

By Shama standards this piece was actually ok. But I found this excerpt kind of amusing:

Gonzaga freshman point guard Jalen Suggs, from Minnehaha Academy, will be the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, going to the Detroit Pistons, per the mock draft from NBC Sports California. The Minnesota Timberwolves, with the No. 1 selection, will take Oklahoma State freshman guard-forward Cade Cunningham. Word of advice to the Wolves: if available, draft Suggs.

So the Wolves, with the #1 pick, should draft Suggs if he is available......apparently Shama doesn't quite understand how numbers work, pretty sure every player in the draft is available with the #1 pick. :)

Domantas Sabonis
Brandon Clark

In other words easy to look good in a cupcake league. Zags last 2 games seem to proved that. The only one with a chance at a stating position in the NBA is the West St Paulite.

Zach Collins was decent, but I think Portland will let him go once contract expires. He was their first ever one and done, even though he came off the bench. Just can't stay healthy

I guess the standard I would use is whether the player lived up to the draft ranking. Collins was a #10 so I would say no. I would definitely say that Sabonis at #11 and Clark at #21 did. I wouldn't call Collins a bust but I would call him an underachiever.

I guess the standard I would use is whether the player lived up to the draft ranking. Collins was a #10 so I would say no. I would definitely say that Sabonis at #11 and Clark at #21 did. I wouldn't call Collins a bust but I would call him an underachiever.
Yeah but for me if it's related to injuries it's hard to call them an underachiever. I cant label Greg Oden an underachiever

The only one with a chance at a stating position in the NBA is the West St Paulite.

Well, we won't know that for sure until they enter the league and get a few years under their belts but that could be right.

However, what you said above would apply to almost any college team these days. The 2015 Wisconsin team was 16-2 in the Big Ten, 36-4 overall, and went to the championship game before losing a fairly close one to Duke. There were 4 players on that team that spent at least a little time in the NBA but the two best, Kaminsky and Dekker, didn't start in the NBA very often either and Dekker is no longer in the league.

Yeah but for me if it's related to injuries it's hard to call them an underachiever. I cant label Greg Oden an underachiever

True, but you can call him one of the biggest #1 draft pick mistakes this century. Portland paid Oden about $23 million dollars for about a season's worth of games over 5 years. Missing that big on a #1 pick really hurts.

True, but you can call him one of the biggest #1 draft pick mistakes this century. Portland paid Oden about $23 million dollars for about a season's worth of games over 5 years. Missing that big on a #1 pick really hurts.
Big time, especially when Kevin Durant was picked next. Same franchise that picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan

Well, we won't know that for sure until they enter the league and get a few years under their belts but that could be right.

However, what you said above would apply to almost any college team these days. The 2015 Wisconsin team was 16-2 in the Big Ten, 36-4 overall, and went to the championship game before losing a fairly close one to Duke. There were 4 players on that team that spent at least a little time in the NBA but the two best, Kaminsky and Dekker, didn't start in the NBA very often either and Dekker is no longer in the league.
But Dekker married Olivia Harlan so he is probably happy.

In other words easy to look good in a cupcake league. Zags last 2 games seem to proved that. The only one with a chance at a stating position in the NBA is the West St Paulite.
They've made it to the title game in two of the last four years the tournament was held. They are one of the top ten programs in the country, full stop.

Trent Tucker was talking about Chet this AM on KFAN. He was pretty blown away by Chet’s skill set when he watched him.

Trent Tucker was talking about Chet this AM on KFAN. He was pretty blown away by Chet’s skill set when he watched him.
Lol first time watching him? This guy has been #1 in his class for quite some time and would have been number 2 had Kuminga not reclassified. This is quite a bit better than Jones' bros and Suggs..

Lol first time watching him? This guy has been #1 in his class for quite some time and would have been number 2 had Kuminga not reclassified. This is quite a bit better than Jones' bros and Suggs..
Trent has two kids in hockey, he's either at the rink or doing college basketball.

I’d take Chet over Kuminga personally. Kuminga is less skilled. Physically dominant but that doesn’t hold up as well in major college or NBA where everything is physically very gifted. Bully ball is tough for a wing unless you’re LeBron

Before Suggs committed, Gonzaga would get good recruits, but not one and done/two year lottery pick types (Collins and Austin Daye were both in the 30-40 range). Suggs has upped the ante for the program and this year's class, if Holmgren commits, they'll have two top 10s who you think would be likely to be one-and done's.

What can Gonzaga sell? In addition to the national profile, great coaching, and a guarantee to play in March Madness, they can also offer Kawhi Leonard's favorite concept-load management. Suggs averaged 29 minutes/game this past season, considerably less than other top point guards (Carr, Dosunmu, Cunningham, Zegarowski, Gillespie were all somewhere between 33-35 mpg). With elite recruits with a design on a quick detour to the NBA, pitching a strong non-conference schedule through November and December, a more relaxed conference schedule in January and February to work out the kinks, hone the game and keep bodies fresh for March Madness? I think that could sell very well.

Of course, Few's entering new territory and it'll be interesting how his dance with the one and done's will go--both Kentucky and Duke had great success early on, but I'd argue it's been a difficult beast for them to maintain their year to year excellence--no one would turn down Suggs or Holmgren joining their team, but what happens when the talent is a little lesser or the attitudes aren't orientated towards team? It's what makes the college game so fascinating to follow.

I’d take Chet over Kuminga personally. Kuminga is less skilled. Physically dominant but that doesn’t hold up as well in major college or NBA where everything is physically very gifted. Bully ball is tough for a wing unless you’re LeBron
I would as well. I think Kumigna will be the 5th pick in this years draft, where as Chet could be in contention for #1. Chet has such a rare game of 3pt shooting, handles, and shot blocking.

Top Bottom