All Things Bowling Green at Minnesota Post-Game Thread

Morgan didn't play very well, but let's be honest... put any QB under Sanford and they'll regress. Not only is the play calling bad, but it's just bland basic designed plays. If they take away the run game, our coaches, especially Fleck, can't even adjust. The only thing they hope for is to keep running and break some big runs.

Also with how many years that the special teams have been bad, does our ST coordinator have revealing photos of PJ or something. How else does he keep his job year after year

Also with how many years that the special teams have been bad, does our ST coordinator have revealing photos of PJ or something. How else does he keep his job year after year
Right!?!?

Is it too soon to give up on winning the B1G West?

Sarcasm aside, the Gophers have had some solid seasons with less talent than this year's team. I think it's pretty clear this loss is mostly about the Gophers pregame preparation and terrible game management, both of which can be fixed if PJ doesn't fixate on excuses and instead, learns something from this embarrassment. This team is not good enough to win that way every week, even against MAC teams.

I feel bad for making my family Gopher football fans after going to school there. Everyone texting me now asking the hell happened lol

Sarcasm aside, the Gophers have had some solid seasons with less talent than this year's team. I think it's pretty clear this loss is mostly about the Gophers pregame preparation and terrible game management, both of which can be fixed if PJ doesn't fixate on excuses and instead, learns something from this embarrassment. This team is not good enough to win that way every week, even against MAC teams.
PJ has already fallen on his sword in the post-game interview with JG on KFAN. What bothers me is how the offense could be so terrible after last week. I really question PJ not benching Tanner Morgan after the first INT. The game ending INT was inexcusable from both of them.

The Good
- Kramer wrinkle: I like having a QB in there in short yardage situations so there is at least the threat to pass
- The defense for the most part played very well
- We didn't waste any timeouts today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bad
- PI call on Durr, WR just fell down
- Bowling Green, they were not a good team at all
- Potts 28 carries, Irving gets just 4? Seriously, why do we keep trying to run our top back into the ground?

The Ugly
- Offensive Line, especially Faalele
- Morgan: Yes having Bateman and Johnson helped but he is missing guys badly right now. Open receivers are open regardless who they are.
- Play calling was atrocious, no creativity, no adjustments. Extremely predictable. Just 13 pass attempts, only 2 receptions by a WR. No screens, very little RPO. At the very least Simon should take over play calling.
- Special teams: missed FG, multiple punt returns unfielded
- Fleck: This loss is worse than the South Dakota one. Extremely experienced QB and OL, completely inexcusable to play this poorly. The memories of 2019 will only last so long. I don't think my trust in Fleck has been any lower than it is right now.

The Good
- Kramer wrinkle: I like having a QB in there in short yardage situations so there is at least the threat to pass
- The defense for the most part played very well
- We didn't waste any timeouts today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bad
- PI call on Durr, WR just fell down
- Bowling Green, they were not a good team at all
- Potts 28 carries, Irving gets just 4? Seriously, why do we keep trying to run our top back into the ground?

The Ugly
- Offensive Line, especially Faalele
- Morgan: Yes having Bateman and Johnson helped but he is missing guys badly right now. Open receivers are open regardless who they are.
- Play calling was atrocious, no creativity, no adjustments. Extremely predictable. Just 13 pass attempts, only 2 receptions by a WR. No screens, very little RPO. At the very least Simon should take over play calling.
- Special teams: missed FG, multiple punt returns unfielded
- Fleck: This loss is worse than the South Dakota one. Extremely experienced QB and OL, completely inexcusable to play this poorly. The memories of 2019 will only last so long. I don't think my trust in Fleck has been any lower than it is right now.
Special teams were abysmal. You forgot 2 covering the longsnapper penalties and the ridiculous running into the punter penalty.

Special teams were abysmal. You forgot 2 covering the longsnapper penalties and the ridiculous running into the punter penalty.
Good call, penalties overall should have been in the ugly category as well.

Cut me some slack, there's so much bad and ugly to remember its impossible to remember everything

Morgan completed 5 of 13 for 59 yards, with two interceptions. You pull a QB having that bad a day. Put in #2 or #3, or pull somebody out of the stands. And never, never go for it on 4th from your own 30, even if it works one time in ten.
And a fumble

What bothers me is how the offense could be so terrible after last week.

The offense was pretty one-dimensional last week as well, though with a better result. And after two weeks in a row, and seeing some of Miami's successes, it's likely that Bowling Green schemed specifically for our dumbed down trench warfare, 'try and stop us' approach on offense. We didn't get "beat by a really good team", in coachspeak this time.

IMO, the problem is not thinking that grinding it out would be a good way to beat a theoretically inferior opponent. It's not being able to execute any sort of backup plan whatsoever and continuing to ram your head against the wall all game until it's too late.

Looking for a silver lining...

Getting to the point of receiving one vote in the Coaches Poll will look pretty good when that happens...

Morgan completed 5 of 13 for 59 yards, with two interceptions. You pull a QB having that bad a day. Put in #2 or #3, or pull somebody out of the stands. And never, never go for it on 4th from your own 30, even if it works one time in ten.
It's not only that, but he's got happy feet, balls are being batted left and right...........and to top it off, he's not seeing the field. He is locked in all the time to one receiver.

I'm bored with Morgan. I'm ready to look to the future, but it won't happen.

That fourth down call was especially brutal factoring how poorly the O-line had been playing. I was screaming at my TV.

Good call, penalties overall should have been in the ugly category as well.

Cut me some slack, there's so much bad and ugly to remember its impossible to remember everything
Slack cut for you GII. Those penalties just made me... angry?... furious? No, more like memorably disheartened at the blatant stupidity of them.

Bench the moron calling the plays on offense first, then go from there.
Do you mean the guy who made the call to go for it on 4th down, or the guy who made the call to try a long FG instead of punting and pinning BG deep like they had been doing?

Top Bottom