All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

FWIW-

I watched part of the combine yesterday and the portion I saw was the first group for DL; Bryan Murphy from Texas was the obvious star his with his speed and athleticism. I want him at 11 please.

It was cool as Cam Jordan stopped by to chat and comment on the drills. A little Vikings talk was squeezed in, as his dad was Steve and he talked about growing up watching Doleman and Randle play and how thst made him want to play on the DL, Johnny was on the field, in some capacity, for either a team or the NFL and looked like he could still play!

Cam was also hilarious in dismissing OL as fat blobs, not the elite athletes like their counterparts on the DL.

This is his 14 year and when he’s done, I can see him in the booth, as he was very insightful and funny as heck.

Last edited:

McCarthy seems like boom or bust.

At this point in my life........go for it.

I actually feel the opposite. I think the top 3 are all boom or bust with no middle ground. I think McCarthy is the safest. He's also the youngest.

Heard that ~50% of all number 1 & 2 picks fail; that's with all their intel and testing NFL teams have at their disposal.

None of us are obviously experts , just middle aged men with an opinion 😉

Last edited:

I actually feel the opposite. I think the top 3 are all boom or bust with no middle ground. I think McCarthy is the safest. He's also the youngest.

I had heard today for the first time that McCarthy is almost 3 years younger than Jayden Daniels. Wow.

Don't forget, Atlanta also has a good defense and is currently playing in a crap division. Cousins would almost surely win the division. Can't say the same thing playing in Minnesota.

based on what?

I think McCarthy played against the toughest defenses all season, is the most accurate, best decision maker, had the fewest weapons at WR, played in a pro style system, is young, mobile, and improved every year.

Williams and Maye regressed this season IMO. I like Daniels the most out of the top 3, but wonder about his short to medium accuracy. He completed a lot of deep balls to really good receivers.

Slightly over 2 years younger - December 2000 to January 2003.

The way it was portrayed as I was listening magnified that as much as possible; I think they stated what Daniels age would be by the end of the 2024 season, in comparison to where McCarthy is now. Not exactly an honest portrayal, no doubt

I think McCarthy played against the toughest defenses all season, is the most accurate, best decision maker, had the fewest weapons at WR, played in a pro style system, is young, mobile, and improved every year.

Williams and Maye regressed this season IMO. I like Daniels the most out of the top 3, but wonder about his short to medium accuracy. He completed a lot of deep balls to really good receivers.
maybe, but he had the great defense and they relied on the running game.

This will be fun.

Per the NCAA website, here are the passing efficiency rankings for the Top 6 rated QBs prospects this season; Nix, of course, set the completion % record this season.

#1 Daniels
#2 Nix
#7 Williams
#8 McCarthy
#19 Penix
#31 Maye

Last edited:

Caught Ben Goessling on with DB this afternoon.

From what I recall, he said (paraphrasing):
- we should know something by next week on Cousins
- contracts tricks can be used to actually lower Cousins cap hit this year from what it would be
- thinks if he hits the open market he is likely gone
- but feels 7 out of 10 that he will be back (where 1 was he’s gone and 10 was he’s for sure back)

This is someone actually trustworthy. As opposed to the crappy links thrown out on here

Athletic's Russini thinks Kirk Cousins 'winds up leaving Minnesota'​

"It makes sense in Atlanta, right," said The Athletic's Dianna Russini on The Athletic Football Show Friday. "You've got Raheem Morris, who spent time with Kirk in Washington for years. You have Zac Robinson, who obviously has the Sean McVay offense familiarity which is what Kirk is familiar with. There's not a lot of change that needs to happen.

"I don't ever want to undersell that because it is a big part of this process, it just makes it so much easier for everyone understand when that language is all the same."

Well there you go! Makes it so much easier when your QB and offensive playcaller have a familiarity.

Oh wait ..... Kirk and KOC have worked together for the last two years, in that exact same offense, which KOC is vastly superior to Robinson in knowledge and play calling ability. :unsure:

"It makes sense in Atlanta, right," said The Athletic's Dianna Russini on The Athletic Football Show Friday. "You've got Raheem Morris, who spent time with Kirk in Washington for years. You have Zac Robinson, who obviously has the Sean McVay offense familiarity which is what Kirk is familiar with. There's not a lot of change that needs to happen.

"I don't ever want to undersell that because it is a big part of this process, it just makes it so much easier for everyone understand when that language is all the same."

Well there you go! Makes it so much easier when your QB and offensive playcaller have a familiarity.

Oh wait ..... Kirk and KOC have worked together for the last two years, in that exact same offense, which KOC is vastly superior to Robinson in knowledge and play calling ability. :unsure:
Creepy

I have no idea why kg is calling Dianna Russini “creepy”.

“We hear” from an account with 13k followers.

:rolleyes:

I want to see the Vikings draft QB Spencer Rattler in a middle round. He could be a really good, low risk QB pick.

I want to see the Vikings draft QB Spencer Rattler in a middle round. He could be a really good, low risk QB pick.
I’d be okay if Cousins leaves to sign Wilson as a bridge to someone like Rattler, as his contract is structured, that he’d only cost the veteran minimum (Broncos have to pay the rest of his $39M).

He’d be motivated and have much more skill position talent surrounding him than at Denver.

We can still go DL in round 1 and have ample cash for additional free agents, including one of the decent RBs available.

Risky as F, but go big or go home at this point.

1709406769031.jpeg

Last edited:

I’d be okay if Cousins leaves to sign Wilson as a bridge to someone like Rattler, as his contract is structured, that he’d only cost the veteran minimum (Broncos have to pay the rest of his $39M).

He’d be motivated and have much more skill position talent surrounding him than at Denver.

We can still go DL in round 1 and have ample cash for additional free agents, including one of the decent RBs available.

Risky as F, but go big or go home at this point.

View attachment 30357
Absolutely no way should they try to sign R Wilson. I'd rather they play Jaren Hall, Nick Mullens and Josh Dobbs, with a rookie as well.

If Kirk reaches FA, don't bother. Part of the allure in signing him is the dead cap money he can mitigate

Absolutely. If he's not signed in the next 8-10 days, I'd be shocked if he's a Viking in 2024.

Absolutely no way should they try to sign R Wilson. I'd rather they play Jaren Hall, Nick Mullens and Josh Dobbs, with a rookie as well.

I agree no on letting Russ cook in MSP. No way. Who even knows how important football is to him at this point and who knows what the number would be? That being said, I don't want any of the other 3 listed here either (Hall, Mullens, Dobbs).

Absolutely. If he's not signed in the next 8-10 days, I'd be shocked if he's a Viking in 2024.

I agree no on letting Russ cook in MSP. No way. Who even knows how important football is to him at this point and who knows what the number would be? That being said, I don't want any of the other 3 listed here either (Hall, Mullens, Dobbs).
His number is the veteran minimum.

His contract is guaranteed and structured as such that once he’s cut, a new team only has to pay him the minimum and the rest is paid by Denver; he’s getting his $39M regardless, but his pride has been wounded, so he’s likely extremely motivated, to not have the Denver experience, be the last thing on his NFL resume.

My premise assumes he’d be vetted and buys in. I’d rather try something creative than play last year’s drek and find a developmental QB in the mid rounds. I’d rather address the D in the first round, if possible, it may well not be, but now is not the time to be conventional.

Last edited:

you hear so much noise that it is hard to know what is worth listening to. but - I keep hearing various "experts" and "insiders" talking about how the QB situation in the draft is very fluid. you hear that "this QB is dropping on teams' boards" and "that QB is rising."

it comes down to this: how much are the Vikes willing to gamble on finding a QB in the draft? If they believe a quality QB will be available in the 2nd round, then they can go Defense with the #11 pick. but if they think that the QB they really want won't stick around until the 2nd round, then they will have to pounce.

of course, if they re-sign Cousins, then they probably don't take a QB - at least not in the early rounds.

Yes. Of course he is
I don't know if the 2022 Russ was any better than Hall-Mullins-Dobbs. 2023 version, sure. Looked like he had some gas in the tank.

Of course in 2023 he got to play the Vikings, which he has completely owned throughout his whole career.

Last edited:

I don't know if the 2022 Russ was any better than Hall-Mullins-Dobbs. 2023 version, sure. Looked like at some gas in the tank.

Of course in 2023 he got to play the Vikings, which he has completely owned throughout his whole career.
Hall and Dobbs are not NFL QB's. Russel Wilson on his worst day is better than them and equal to Muellens.

Top Bottom