All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'd love to get one of the top 4, though I am biased against Maye because I wasnt impressed when he played Gophers.

Something draws me to Penix though. I can envision him throwing darts to JJ

Per The Athletic, Vikes interested in Jones -

The Vikings have shown interest in Jones, who is now free to sign with any team, sources tell The Athletic’s Dianna Russini.
Right on Russ

Now Jellin with Jones (Love The Move)-

One day after the Green Bay Packersreleased him, running back Aaron Jones has agreed to join the Minnesota Vikings, league sources said Tuesday.

Jones, 29, spent the last seven years with Green Bay, which drafted him in 2017. But the Packers released Jones on Monday. The Athleticreported the Packers asked Jones to take about a 50 percent pay cut, if not more, entering the final year of a four-year, $48 million contract.

Jones has spent all seven years of his career with Green Bay since being drafted in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. He has rushed for 5,940 yards and 45 touchdowns in that span, including three years with over 1,000 yards on the ground. He leaves Green Bay ranked third in franchise history in rushing yards.

Right on Russ

Now Jellin with Jones (Love The Move)-

One day after the Green Bay Packersreleased him, running back Aaron Jones has agreed to join the Minnesota Vikings, league sources said Tuesday.

Jones, 29, spent the last seven years with Green Bay, which drafted him in 2017. But the Packers released Jones on Monday. The Athleticreported the Packers asked Jones to take about a 50 percent pay cut, if not more, entering the final year of a four-year, $48 million contract.

Jones has spent all seven years of his career with Green Bay since being drafted in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. He has rushed for 5,940 yards and 45 touchdowns in that span, including three years with over 1,000 yards on the ground. He leaves Green Bay ranked third in franchise history in rushing yards.
It's a 1-year deal for $7M...great signing. If it weren't for the huge hole at QB, the Vikings are just killing it in FA right now IMO. Kudos to KAM...now go out and nail the darn draft!

In recent years Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield have shown that you can’t always write off seeming busts who found themselves in shitty situations. Low risk, low commitment chance on Darnold that could keep the Vikings competitive while they build towards their future.

It's a 1-year deal for $7M...great signing. If it weren't for the huge hole at QB, the Vikings are just killing it in FA right now IMO. Kudos to KAM...now go out and nail the darn draft!
Yup, I’m very happy right now and the draft will be so much fun! Kirk leaving could end up being a blessing in disguise 🥸 deals.

I’d take the over on Jones’ rushing totals in two specific games 😉

Last edited:

Wait a minute. In reading back a few pages, did Mlps claim he was still right about Cousins?

This place........LMAO

That is simply amazing.

In recent years Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield have shown that you can’t always write off seeming busts who found themselves in shitty situations. Low risk, low commitment chance on Darnold that could keep the Vikings competitive while they build towards their future.
When you could've had Russ for $9M less than Darnold, it sure implies that the Vikings really wanted nothing to do with Wilson on the team or in the locker room.

Darnold will be the backup to whoever they draft, but if he does end up starting for some reason, the Vikings will be drafting in the top 2 next year. He is terrible.

Wait a minute. In reading back a few pages, did Mlps claim he was still right about Cousins?

This place........LMAO

That is simply amazing.
He gave himself an out bigger than an ocean.

Yup. This is where they are right now.

The Vikings can win games with Darnold and the weapons around him, and the defense will be markedly improved this year. Jones will be a significant upgrade at RB, if he can stay healthy.

EDIT: Woof. A quick look at Darnold's career stats and I had forgotten, before sitting in SF last year, he labored away with Carolina and the NY Jets. Holy shit, talk about purgatory. And he's still won more than twice as many games as Fields!

This place........LMAO

That is simply amazing.
He's been very quiet since KC left...probably stuck on hold trying to renew his season tickets to prove he's a better fan.

When you could've had Russ for $9M less than Darnold, it sure implies that the Vikings really wanted nothing to do with Wilson on the team or in the locker room.
I'm not convinced that they could have had Russ without promises. He was essentially "free" this year, and even if he's seen as a poor locker room guy, he's got some pretty good leverage with his bizarre situation/price tag. I don't think it will be a competition in Pitt, I think Russ was given promises that it's essentially his gig. We couldn't promise that with using a high draft pick at QB. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can compare the two situations/salaries.

With that said, Darnold at $10MM for a backup or mentor seems like a lot of money. TB signed Mayfield off the trash heap last year for $4MM. Seattle signed Geno Smith for about $1MM two years ago.

Kwesi be cooking!

Amazing how much fun free agency can be when we have flexibility.

Skol Vikes!!
Not to look too far ahead but the Vikes will have a ton of cap space in '25. If they nail the draft this year (i.e., get their QB), they should be set up in the mold of recent Super Bowl teams that don't have Mahomes as a QB, to wit: Good QB on a rookie contract with a great mix of young and veteran talent surrounding. This seems to be setting up for '25.

I'm not convinced that they could have had Russ without promises. He was essentially "free" this year, and even if he's seen as a poor locker room guy, he's got some pretty good leverage with his bizarre situation/price tag. I don't think it will be a competition in Pitt, I think Russ was given promises that it's essentially his gig. We couldn't promise that with using a high draft pick at QB. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can compare the two situations/salaries.

With that said, Darnold at $10MM for a backup or mentor seems like a lot of money. TB signed Mayfield off the trash heap last year for $4MM. Seattle signed Geno Smith for about $1MM two years ago.
Who really cares at this point if the Vikes paid $1 million or $10 million on a one year deal? This team isn't going to compete this year. They'll be lucky to finish third in the North, even with the upgrades. Next year the team will have a ton of cap space and that's where we ought to be realistically be looking for a competitive team, assuming the Vikes get a good QB in the draft.

They’ve crushed it in free agency so far.
I agree, and the one year contracts are perfect along with the extended contracts.

Again, they are physical players. Aaron Jones runs with physicality. The defenders are physical. This is something we needed and need more of.

I've seen a couple "reports" that the best offer the Vikings made to Cousins was 2/$76M. Sounds about right.
If that's what they were offering, it sure sounds a lot like the Correa situation last year with the Twins. Give a token offer that you know has no chance of being good enough to show you tried to appease the fans clamoring for Kirk.

They’ve crushed it in free agency so far.
Not to look too far ahead but the Vikes will have a ton of cap space in '25. If they nail the draft this year (i.e., get their QB), they should be set up in the mold of recent Super Bowl teams that don't have Mahomes as a QB, to wit: Good QB on a rookie contract with a great mix of young and veteran talent surrounding. This seems to be setting up for '25.

The new regime has done incredible work honestly in working to get rid of all the cap issues that they were handed when they got to MSP. I've heard as much as $100M or more in cap space in 2025.

And for everyone bitching about how they've handled the Cousins situation, they clearly came into these negotiations with multiple plans, they stuck to their plan, and they had the discipline to not go over their number with Cousins.

They've improved the defense, they got younger on defense, shed some big cap numbers, and set the team up moving forward. People only want to look at missing on Cine and Booth (more than likely missing anyway) when it comes to judging KAM but I have to say at this point that I have reason to be optimistic. And I think it's safe to say that for the most part KOC is a pretty damn good HC.

Yup. This is where they are right now.

The Vikings can win games with Darnold and the weapons around him, and the defense will be markedly improved this year. Jones will be a significant upgrade at RB, if he can stay healthy.

EDIT: Woof. A quick look at Darnold's career stats and I had forgotten, before sitting in SF last year, he labored away with Carolina and the NY Jets. Holy shit, talk about purgatory. And he's still won more than twice as many games as Fields!

He's also started 18 more games than Fields over his career. Yet Darnold still has a lower completion percentage than Fields.

Darnold isn't winning the Vikings anything next season. If he starts, they are not serious about competing.

Who really cares at this point if the Vikes paid $1 million or $10 million on a one year deal? This team isn't going to compete this year. They'll be lucky to finish third in the North, even with the upgrades. Next year the team will have a ton of cap space and that's where we ought to be realistically be looking for a competitive team, assuming the Vikes get a good QB in the draft.
I don't dispute that the Vikings will be fortunate to finish third in the North, but that would not prevent them from still making the Playoffs. Even 4th can still make it now.

Darnold will be the backup to whoever they draft, but if he does end up starting for some reason, the Vikings will be drafting in the top 2 next year. He is terrible.
Penix might be the only one ready to start, maybe Nix. You don't throw rookie quarterbacks to the wolves from day one. It just doesn't work and you risk ruining their development

Top Bottom