All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I think the days of the crusty white haired manager/savant was done after Jim Leyland’s retirement.

Can you imagine sitting down for a couple of cold ones with : Sparky, Dick or Earl Weaver? Those analytics would be amazing.
Add Lasorda and you've got your foursome for Sunday morning.

Have to add Whitey to the list.

I'd question if Zebby is pitching for his job tonight (on stupid Apple TV again), but I have zero idea who else they could turn to.

I'd question if Zebby is pitching for his job tonight (on stupid Apple TV again), but I have zero idea who else they could turn to.
I think he bounces back tonight.

At home. Which helps and his first two starts we’re good; in horse race handicapping, when a good horse doesn’t run well, you draw a line through that start and most of the time they bounce back with a good effort.

I’m going with a quality start tonight. And he’s what we got in the five hole now.

I think he bounces back tonight.

At home. Which helps and his first two starts we’re good; in horse race handicapping, when a good horse doesn’t run well, you draw a line through that start and most of the time they bounce back with a good effort.

I’m going with a quality start tonight. And he’s what we got in the five hole now.
Not at home. In KC.

Gotta send Farmer there as it takes two good throws to get him and would have loved to see Mr. Everything air mail that one

Last edited:

Twins look tired. Pretty much whole club is scuffling at the plate, kind of like April. They sure could use Correa and Buxton back but I'm losing hope on that.

Twins look tired. Pretty much whole club is scuffling at the plate, kind of like April. They sure could use Correa and Buxton back but I'm losing hope on that.
Those two are 29 and 30 years old. For what they make, it's absolutely ridiculous that you can't even realistically expect them to be available for anything more than 2/3rds of the season.

This is a dead-ass bad baseball team right now. They will be lucky to get to 85 wins. Will that be enough to make the play-offs? Maybe.

After his "resurgence" Christian Vazquez is now 3 for his last 32. Perhaps we can stop saving Jeffers now?

Here’s so more info on why Varland wasn’t moved earlier to the pen from Mr. Hayes’ column regarding last night’s tilt -

The Twins at long last are moving Louie Varland to the bullpen, Baldelli said. The Twins hope Varland can help reduce the workload of some of the team’s back-end relievers, a move Baldelli would have liked to enact months ago but couldn’t because the Twins needed the right-hander for starting pitching depth. Working as the team’s bulk pitcher, Varland threw 59 pitches in 2 2/3 innings on Wednesday, allowing eight earned runs after retiring the first six batters he faced. After moving to the bullpen late in the 2023 season, Varland struck out 17 batters and posted a 1.50 ERA in 12 innings.

This is a dead-ass bad baseball team right now. They will be lucky to get to 85 wins. Will that be enough to make the play-offs? Maybe.

After his "resurgence" Christian Vazquez is now 3 for his last 32. Perhaps we can stop saving Jeffers now?
Sorry Bro, but it’s highly likely we’ll make the playoffs, but then you’re set up to complain when we get swept in the first round of the playoffs🥳. From my post yesterday, featuring Math from folks far smarter than moi -

Twins have lost 11 of 17 games and their odds of winning the AL Central are just 17 percent.

And yet, the Twins’ odds of reaching the playoffs — via a wild-card spot or the division title — have actually increased slightly during that three-week span, rising from 92 percent to 95 percent thanks to the Kansas City Royals (8-10), Boston Red Sox (5-12) and Seattle Mariners(7-9) struggling at the same time.

No team wants to limp into the playoffs, but simply getting to October is a lot more important than how you get to October. Last season, for example, both World Series participants were wild-card teams forced to win a first-round road series to keep playing. Just get there and get hot, as the Arizona Diamondbacksand title-winning Texas Rangers showed.

That will no doubt require the Twins to play better than they have recently, but it might not take much to hold off the various wild-card contenders trying to catch them. With the Twins holding a 5 1/2-game lead over the next-closest wild-card competitors, even if they go just 10-12 down the stretch, one of those teams would have to go 16-5 to surpass them.

While people blame Buxton and Correa for not playing when they're injured ---

oh, BTW, Royce Lewis is supposedly healthy
--in his last 10 games, is hitting .184 with OPS of .735
-- last 15 games: .222 w/ OPS of .570
--last 30 games: .229 w/ OPS of ..657

While people blame Buxton and Correa for not playing when they're injured ---

oh, BTW, Royce Lewis is supposedly healthy
--in his last 10 games, is hitting .184 with OPS of .735
-- last 15 games: .222 w/ OPS of .570
--last 30 games: .229 w/ OPS of ..657
I've seen some Twitter speculation that he's also pouting because he's been asked to play 2B.

I think the days of the crusty white haired manager/savant was done after Jim Leyland’s retirement.

Can you imagine sitting down for a couple of cold ones with : Sparky, Dick or Earl Weaver? Those analytics would be amazing.
If you added Billy to the round table, it would be more than a couple of cold ones.

Sorry Bro, but it’s highly likely we’ll make the playoffs, but then you’re set up to complain when we get swept in the first round of the playoffs🥳. From my post yesterday, featuring Math from folks far smarter than moi -

Twins have lost 11 of 17 games and their odds of winning the AL Central are just 17 percent.

And yet, the Twins’ odds of reaching the playoffs — via a wild-card spot or the division title — have actually increased slightly during that three-week span, rising from 92 percent to 95 percent thanks to the Kansas City Royals (8-10), Boston Red Sox (5-12) and Seattle Mariners(7-9) struggling at the same time.

No team wants to limp into the playoffs, but simply getting to October is a lot more important than how you get to October. Last season, for example, both World Series participants were wild-card teams forced to win a first-round road series to keep playing. Just get there and get hot, as the Arizona Diamondbacksand title-winning Texas Rangers showed.

That will no doubt require the Twins to play better than they have recently, but it might not take much to hold off the various wild-card contenders trying to catch them. With the Twins holding a 5 1/2-game lead over the next-closest wild-card competitors, even if they go just 10-12 down the stretch, one of those teams would have to go 16-5 to surpass them.
10-12 would be an improvement over how they've played the last 3 weeks.

I've seen some Twitter speculation that he's also pouting because he's been asked to play 2B.

FWIW - Reusse said he's heard that Lewis was one of the loudest (off-the-record) complainers in the clubhouse about the team's lack of action at the trade deadline.

he's played 132 games in his major league career. and in a recent interview, talked about being tired. he's played 62 games this season. He's also a Scott Boras client and is heading into his 1st arbitration season in '25.

I am not saying the Twins should get rid of Lewis. But it's a story worth watching.

Top Bottom