All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Duran trying to blow this one for the Twins. Why did we bring him in the 8th. Now he being remove.

Ober is the best pitcher you got on the team and you won’t let him go into the 8th with 83 pitches? Really poor managing right now. Just seems like everyone is panicking right now.

Should have let go into the 8th.

Poorly done.
I wasn’t watching, but based on how well he was pitching and his pitch count, I absolutely concur.

I posted this in the sixth inning and was very pleased that he was giving this type of effort and was gonna allow us to even up the series, or so I thought before the impolision.

I'd almost get it if they had a rock solid bullpen to rely on. But that's far from the case.

Tonight loss is on Rocco. he cause us that game with his managing.

It makes no sense. Ober already got through the heart of the lineup in the 6th/7th.

And the hitting continues to stink. Lewis is awful.

I wasn’t watching, but based on how well he was pitching and his pitch count, I absolutely concur.

I posted this in the sixth inning and was very pleased that he was giving this type of effort and was gonna allow us to even up the series, or so I thought before the impolision.
Ober was still quite in command.

Having said that should be able to rely on Duran to retire KCs 7-8-9 hitters before putting in Jax.

Also some poor fielding contributed as well as not getting a timely hit for more than a 2 run cushion.

They had to plug Farmer in at 1st as Santana left due to illness.

Can't happen this time of the season. That was a big game tonight.
Just can't happen.
Rocco . . .
That the type of L that can sink a season - will be interesting to see what type of effort is mustered tomorrow.

There would have been a fistfight if a manager had tried to replace Black Jack or Bert in such a situation. Just awful.
I had a dream last night, where Ober yelled in the dugout at Rocco saying -

“It’s my fing game!”

pulling Ober is a debatable move.

BUT - a 2-run lead with your best two relievers coming in - and they combine to give up 4 runs.

Is Rocco supposed to have psychic powers? Is he supposed to know that both Duran and Jax are going to fail to do their job - to get people out in the late innings?

Duran and Jax did not do their jobs.

so what happens the next time the Twins have a 2-run lead late in a game? should Rocco say "Duran and Jax didn't do their job last time, so I can't trust them again?"

who does he run out there - Sands - Thielbar - Alcala - Varland?

let's be honest - if Rocco put one of those guys in a tight game instead of Duran or Jax, everyone would be ripping Rocco for not using Duran or Jax.

as a manager, you either trust your players to do the job, or you don't.

BUT - a 2-run lead with your best two relievers coming in - and they combine to give up 4 runs.

Is Rocco supposed to have psychic powers? Is he supposed to know that both Duran and Jax are going to fail to do their job - to get people out in the late innings?

so what happens the next time the Twins have a 2-run lead late in a game? should Rocco say "Duran and Jax didn't do their job last time, so I can't trust them again?"

let's be honest - if Rocco put one of those guys in a tight game instead of Duran or Jax, everyone would be ripping Rocco for not using Duran or Jax.

Fine. But a guy who is absolutely cruising and giving up nothing while having a very reasonable pitch count is also "doing his job". Starting pitchers don't like being pulled when they are rolling. Some of them don't even like being pulled when they're not.

No. Ober had given up one hit with 83 pitches. Had retired 15 in a row. Royals were helpless against him. And we know how Duran has been inconsistent this season. In a critical game during a pennant race, Rocco decides to replace a virtually unhittable pitcher who has thrown minimal number of pitches with a struggling reliever. I can't imagine any other manager would have made such a move.

This was a process error by Rocco. Twins have battled 5 1/2 months in order to put themselves in a playoff race and Rocco pulls this out of his hat. Just awful.

Royals game mvp was Rocco Baldelli.

Last edited:

Tommy Watkins is not having a great run. Also what this downturn is, it’s not a slump cause Royce doesn’t have them, we could sure you him to snap out of it.

Tommy Watkins is not having a great run. Also what this downturn is, it’s not a slump cause Royce doesn’t have them, we could sure you him to snap out of it.
He doesn't have to worry. No coaches are ever held accountable with this organization.

Duran now has a 6.75 ERA (it was ~3.5 IIRC before last night’s fiasco)in non-save situations; they talked about this in the previous series, the disparity between his ERA in save vs. non-save appearances.

Duran of course said the right things in Hayes’ column about im ready whenever bla blah. However, Rocco wasn’t asked, which I saw, why he put Duran in that position, when he struggles, due to what I’m guessing is a lack of focus.

What frosts my fanny, is for someone who uses analytics like he does, why aren’t you reading the obvious numbers and use Jax in the 8 and Duran to close, unless you’re you absolutely cannot.

i think overall Rocco does a good job and he gets unfair criticism, which I have addressed on here vociferously, but when your Big Dog is Eating, get out of his way.

Last edited:

Dead. Lifeless. Don't deserve to make the play-offs.

This is what happens when your two highest paid players disappear because they have "ouchies".

Top Bottom