All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

They keep pointing out that Arizona and Colorado went to streaming, but Bally's Arizona ceased operations and I believe the Rockies RSN (AT&T something) did as well. They didn't exactly "choose" to take less $$ and go to streaming.

The one part I still don't understand is why the Twins didn't give Bally's the streaming rights if it was only a 1-year deal. All the Comcast/Xfinity customers could just give Bally's the $10 credit their getting on their bill. Frankly, Comcast probably would have caved exactly for that reason. It seems like MLB told them to hold onto the streaming rights because they thought some mid-season solution with Amazon was going to happen, but that's clearly not going to occur.

on the streaming, I can only guess. But - MLB has made it very clear that they want to come up with a multi-team streaming package modeled after the MLS deal with Apple. In order to make that happen, Manfred has said they need to have the rights to as many teams as possible - preferably at least half the teams in MLB or more.

I can only guess that MLB is telling the Twins "don't give Diamond your streaming rights" because they want those rights free and unemcumbered for the MLB package. during the bankruptcy proceedings, MLB lawyers have been very skeptical about Diamond's long-range chances to succeed. so reading between the lines, MLB may very well want Diamond to go under. that would make more teams' streaming rights available. Diamond currently has streaming rights to 5 teams (out of the 12 teams that Diamond has TV rights to broadcast).

on the streaming, I can only guess. But - MLB has made it very clear that they want to come up with a multi-team streaming package modeled after the MLS deal with Apple. In order to make that happen, Manfred has said they need to have the rights to as many teams as possible - preferably at least half the teams in MLB or more.

I can only guess that MLB is telling the Twins "don't give Diamond your streaming rights" because they want those rights free and unemcumbered for the MLB package. during the bankruptcy proceedings, MLB lawyers have been very skeptical about Diamond's long-range chances to succeed. so reading between the lines, MLB may very well want Diamond to go under. that would make more teams' streaming rights available. Diamond currently has streaming rights to 5 teams (out of the 12 teams that Diamond has TV rights to broadcast).
I get that, but it was only a one year deal with Diamond, so even if you gave them the streaming rights, the Twins would get them back at the end of the season. Leaving them out of the deal still makes no sense. Diamond and the Twins make less $$ and fewer fans have an option to watch.

How would you still get the Twins games in WI? MLB TV?
Correct. Only baseball makes it easier to be a fan of a team when you don’t live in that state as long as that state has another team. I can imagine living in Iowa for out east and getting mlb.tv and having like 5 teams blacked out.

Correct. Only baseball makes it easier to be a fan of a team when you don’t live in that state as long as that state has another team. I can imagine living in Iowa for out east and getting mlb.tv and having like 5 teams blacked out.
Eastern Iowa where I used to live has six teams blacked out: Cardinals, Royals, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers and Twins. It's insane.

I get that, but it was only a one year deal with Diamond, so even if you gave them the streaming rights, the Twins would get them back at the end of the season. Leaving them out of the deal still makes no sense. Diamond and the Twins make less $$ and fewer fans have an option to watch.

that assumes that Diamond would be willing to do a 1-year deal for streaming. Diamond is supposed to get an investment from Amazon as part of its plan to emerge from bankruptcy. So having the Twins for one year only really doesn't help Diamond in the long term. Diamond wants the streaming rights (for Amazon?) and MLB wants the streaming rights. they can't both have them. and the Twins get caught in the middle.

the Bankruptcy Court is holding a Status Conference Hearing on May 15th. we may learn something from that.

the supposed Final hearing to approve or deny the reorganizational plan is scheduled for June 18th.

that assumes that Diamond would be willing to do a 1-year deal for streaming. Diamond is supposed to get an investment from Amazon as part of its plan to emerge from bankruptcy. So having the Twins for one year only really doesn't help Diamond in the long term. Diamond wants the streaming rights (for Amazon?) and MLB wants the streaming rights. they can't both have them. and the Twins get caught in the middle.

the Bankruptcy Court is holding a Status Conference Hearing on May 15th. we may learn something from that.

the supposed Final hearing to approve or deny the reorganizational plan is scheduled for June 18th.
Why would they agree to a one year deal for TV but not a one year deal for streaming. Not logical for either party.

Got him on my fantasy baseball team and he's the only reason I'm not at the bottom of the standings as I also have Matt Olson, Luis Roberts and Christian Yelich.

It's been a bizarre start to the year. Some stars have really looked bad so far while others like Elly have been insane.
Yep. Judge, Julio Rodriguez, and Acuña are killing me. Elly is holding down the fort. If those outfielders would get going, I could say goodnight and easily win the title.

Yep. Judge, Julio Rodriguez, and Acuña are killing me. Elly is holding down the fort. If those outfielders would get going, I could say goodnight and easily win the title.
Must be a keeper league as well?

I made the mistake of listening to the "SKOR North Baseball Show' with Mackey, Judd and Declan.

Oh, boy. first they went on a rant about the TV situation, and concluded that it is entirely the Twins' fault - because the Twins should have know this was going to happen, therefore they should not have signed a new deal with Diamond. (of course, that means the Twins would be making even less local TV revenue, but that doesn't enter into the Skor North narrative).

but my favorite - Judd went on a rant that the 10-game winning streak is meaningless, because the Twins have only beaten bad teams. according to Judd, he won't believe the Twins are good unless they (in Judd's words) "take 2 out of 3 from Boston, take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees" and so on.

Judd also said that (paraphrasing), in the future, no one will ever look back on this Twins team and think they were a good team. (mind you, they've played 18% of the season, but Judd knows how it is going to turn out...)

beyond what they say, it's just the condescending, superior attitude they have toward everything.

Man that’s sad.

FWIW, PTI have mentioned the Twins winning streak when it was at 9 and now 10 games, as it doesn’t happen everyday and is newsworthy.

This site lists each team’s longest winning streak and a quick perusal shows double digits streaks don’t happen frequently.

Twins longest is 15 games in 91 and the franchise record is 17 via the Senators.

Stewart only appeared in 28 games last year due to various arm & shoulder issues.

So expecting that he would be fine for the entire season was probably asking too much - just like expecting that Buxton would be fine for the entire season is asking too much.

Hopefully with Stewart, it's something that can be managed or treated. With Buxton, they're saying MRI showed no structural issues. He probably just pushed it a little too much too soon. I'll bet than when he returns, Buxton will play maybe 5 games out of 7 at best, with 3 or 4 in the outfield and the others at DH.

Luis going to SD

The Padres are finalizing a deal to acquire two-time batting champion Luis Arraez from the Marlins, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. The clubs have not confirmed the trade talks.

The deal was first reported by ESPN's Jeff Passan, who said Miami will acquire three prospects and a relief pitcher in the trade. Arraez is batting .299 for the Marlins after leading the Majors with a .354 average last season.

Luis going to SD

The Padres are finalizing a deal to acquire two-time batting champion Luis Arraez from the Marlins, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. The clubs have not confirmed the trade talks.

The deal was first reported by ESPN's Jeff Passan, who said Miami will acquire three prospects and a relief pitcher in the trade. Arraez is batting .299 for the Marlins after leading the Majors with a .354 average last season.
Turns out that was a great trade by the twins.

Wow the Marlins just won that trade. Padres really screw themself in this trade. bad bad trade for the Padres.

Twins win. 11 in a row.

in other news - Woo-Suk Go!

best name in baseball?

having a jersey with "Go" on the back would be fun.

Amazing what a little patience and health can accomplish😃

I think it was Billy Beane who said, the first two months you evaluate your team, the next two you make the necessary changes and the last two, you make you run/get ready for the playoffs.

The Twins retired Harmon Killebrew’s number 3 in a pre-game ceremony while he was in town playing for the Kansas City Royals on this date in 1975.

Figuring a lot of fans were at Met Stadium that day to see him, Killebrew decided to hit a home run off Vic Albury in the top of the first inning, driving in Hal Mcrae.

On September 18 of that season, Killebrew hit his 573rd and final home run at Met Stadium off the Twins’ Eddie Bane.

They were 8 games back on April 21. In less than two weeks that is down to 1.5.

Julien is starting against a lefty!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Bullpen day today for Sox. Will see plenty of righties b4 game over. Assume that's why.
Ah, I was paying close attention. Makes sense too, he's hitting 9th so probably won't face the first guy.

Top Bottom