All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Martin is more useful and it's not even close. He can actually play CF, he's a better hitter. He's a better base runner. I get not wanting to cut guys in April, but I really don't see what value Margot provides outside of being a switch-hitter. I'd still rather let Kepler, Larnach or Kiriloff start against a lefty any day than use Margot. He wouldn't be missed.
Should have resigned Taylor

Eight is not enough, (hopefully).

Happy 60th birthday to Jeff Reboulet. He was in the Twins farm system in both 1987 and '91. Made MLB debut in May 1992.

Fun Fact: He and Kirby Puckett were inducted into the Triton College Hall of Fame together in 1993.

He was teammates with Mark Guthrie at LSU.

Happy 60th birthday to Jeff Reboulet. He was in the Twins farm system in both 1987 and '91. Made MLB debut in May 1992.

Fun Fact: He and Kirby Puckett were inducted into the Triton College Hall of Fame together in 1993.

He was teammates with Mark Guthrie at LSU.
The best stache of his generation.

1714487902836.png

the baseball romantic in me would have enjoyed being around in the days when the Millers played in Minneapolis and the original Saints in St. Paul.

the Saints were a farm club for the White Sox from 1936-42, and then a farm club for the Dodgers from 1944-1960.

MLB Hall of Famers who played in St. Paul included Roy Campanella, Duke Snider and Leo Durocher. Other notable Saints included Ralph Branca, Gene Mauch and Don Zimmer.

The Millers were affiliated with the Red Sox from 1936 to '38. they were the top farm club for the NY Giants from 1946-57, and then the Red Sox again from 1958-60.

Millers' Hall of Fame alumni include Williams, Mays, Carl Yastrzemski, Hoyt Wilhelm, Orlando Cepeda and Monte Irvin. Other notable Millers included Felipe Alou and Al Worthington. Halsey Hall was the Millers' play-by-play man on radio from 1933 to 1960, and survived with his liver more or less intact.....

on major holidays, the MIllers and Saints would play a split double-header with one game in each city.
Another HOF'er for the Millers was 3B Ray Dandridge, who made his mark in the Negro Leagues and played at the end of his career in Minneapolis, never getting the call up to MLB.

Not at the HOF level (except for name, perhaps) Moose Skowron played for the Austin Packers in 1950 and ripped things up in such a short time, the Yankees came calling. My mom remembered seeing him play against the Rochester Royals for his brief (23 games) career as a Packer.

Duran is Ready, Willing and Able -

April 30: RHP Jhoan Duran reinstated from 15-day injured list; RHP Matt Bowman designated for assignment
Duran had missed the Twins' first 28 games with a right oblique strain. He successfully completed a two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A St. Paul on April 27, when his fastball averaged 101.8 mph.

Bowman appeared in five games for the Twins, posting a 2.35 ERA with four walks and six strikeouts

Duran is Ready, Willing and Able -

April 30: RHP Jhoan Duran reinstated from 15-day injured list; RHP Matt Bowman designated for assignment
Duran had missed the Twins' first 28 games with a right oblique strain. He successfully completed a two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A St. Paul on April 27, when his fastball averaged 101.8 mph.

Bowman appeared in five games for the Twins, posting a 2.35 ERA with four walks and six strikeouts

Bowman is out of options. if not claimed by another team, he could accept a minor-league assignment from the Twins or become a free agent. He showed some promise, but the walks-to-strikeouts ratio is not great.

and the bullpen is going to be interesting. Duran back. Topa doing a rehab stint. (reports are he looked better in his last outing, but fastball velocity was down 2 or 3 mph). front office will have some choices to make.

Bowman is out of options. if not claimed by another team, he could accept a minor-league assignment from the Twins or become a free agent. He showed some promise, but the walks-to-strikeouts ratio is not great.

and the bullpen is going to be interesting. Duran back. Topa doing a rehab stint. (reports are he looked better in his last outing, but fastball velocity was down 2 or 3 mph). front office will have some choices to make.

I think when Topa is activated we downsize on a lefty reliever, as you don’t need three - I hope Funderburk stays, he’s earned it.
According to Gleeman the next arm up for a starting pitcher would be Sands, as he’s still a 4 pitch pitcher ar this point and they have limited options with all the injuries in the farm and they may not want to rush my guy Festa.

I think Varland is going to take som time to get squared away and learn how to pitch with his head and just his arm.

I think when Topa is activated we downsize on a lefty reliever, as you don’t need three - I hope Funderburk stays, he’s earned it.
According to Gleeman the next arm up for a starting pitcher would be Sands, as he’s still a 4 pitch pitcher ar this point and they have limited options with all the injuries in the farm and they may not want to rush my guy Festa.

I think Varland is going to take som time to get squared away and learn how to pitch with his head and just his arm.

Maybe they have an extra Lefty in the pen because all of their Starters are Righties?

Maybe they have an extra Lefty in the pen because all of their Starters are Righties?

I don’t see three and Okert hasn’t been stellar, but I could be wrong, I often am.

Although I really wish we had a lefty starter

I don’t see three and Okert hasn’t been stellar, but I could be wrong, I often am.

Although I really wish we had a lefty starter
Funderburk has options so he will be the odd man out of the three IMO. Having him to fall back on when an injury occurs (and it almost certainly will happen) is a nice luxury. If they get rid of Okert and someone gets hurt, then you could suddenly be with just one lefty.

Funderburk has options so he will be the odd man out of the three IMO. Having him to fall back on when an injury occurs (and it almost certainly will happen) is a nice luxury. If they get rid of Okert and someone gets hurt, then you could suddenly be with just one lefty.

Draw.

You’re likely right and I was likely right about me being wrong again🤣

Probably have to hold onto Okert until you're sure Thielbar's not cooked. I'm not convinced of that yet.

Tough start for SWR tonight. Didn't finish 4 innings. Only gave up 2 runs, but it could have been much worse.
I'd guess he gets one more start, but that 5th spot sure looks like a season long problem.

Get your sausage shirt

IMG_3178.jpeg

uffda. that was a bit wacky. Funderburk and Sands both serve up HR balls out of the pen, but Twins scramble back for the win. 9 in a row.

Hottest team in baseball. 9-1 last 10 games.

7 other teams 7-3 in their past 10.

The twins taking the Bally’s money knowing this blackout was possible while also cutting payroll is really something. The statement saying this is out of their hands is so disingenuous as they could have simply not gone with Bally’s. Not the largest cable company in Minnesota won’t have your product and there is no other option to watch. Giving the A’s a run for their money in worst fan friendly organization right now.

After missing the first 22 games of the season with a lower back injury, Joe Mauer homered on his very first swing back from the disabled list on this date in 2009.

He doubled in his next at-bat, and scored three runs in a 7-5 win over the Royals.

Joe, of course, went on to win the AL MVP Award that season.

Top Bottom