All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

On This Date in 1987: The Twins release fan-favorite Mickey Hatcher and acquire Dan Gladden from the Giants in exchange for two prospects and a player to be named later, who turned out to be 1982 Bemidji grad and Golden Gophers all-time great Bryan Hickerson.

On This Date in 1987: The Twins release fan-favorite Mickey Hatcher and acquire Dan Gladden from the Giants in exchange for two prospects and a player to be named later, who turned out to be 1982 Bemidji grad and Golden Gophers all-time great Bryan Hickerson.
Wrench was a very key pickup in both WS runs.

KANSAS CITY -- It looks like Royce Lewiswill miss meaningful time for a fifth consecutive season.

Lewis was placed on the IL on Saturday with what president of baseball operations Derek Falvey described as a “severe” right quad strain he sustained on Opening Day. In a corresponding move, the Twins' No. 15 prospect, Austin Martin, received his first Major League callup to fill the roster spot.

“Maybe I'm too electric for my own good,” Lewis said.

From an article in The Athletic -

Since his mid-2022 debut, the only MLB hitters with a higher OPS than Lewis are superstars Aaron Judge, Yordan Alvarez, Shohei Ohtani, Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman and Mike Trout.

The above is why he will easily be an All Star and may end up winning an MVP along the way and could lead us to another WS, if his health doesn’t totally betray him. Obviously, you would never trade him either, as you need a big dog, like him, to get to the WS level and would never receive remotely close the same value back. We got to roll the dice and hope we get some heathy seasons out of him.

Last edited:

Since his mid-2022 debut, the only MLB hitters with a higher OPS than Lewis are superstars Aaron Judge, Yordan Alvarez, Shohei Ohtani, Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman and Mike Trout.

The above is why he will easily be an All Star and may end up winning an MVP asking the way and could lead us to another WS. Obviously, you would never trade him either, as you need a big dog, like him, to get to the WS level and would never receive remotely close the same value back. We got to roll the dice and hope we get some heathy seasons out of him.

He's not winning anything if he never plays.

Seems like it would be prudent to go get one of these guys while they're available. Preferably Clevinger or Cueto.

1711992523283.png

He's not winning anything if he never plays.

Maybe read the whole post, my last sentence -

We got to roll the dice and hope we get some heathy seasons out of him.

I get it some people are risk adverse, that ain’t my vibe.

Last edited:

I can't really comment on the others, but Greinke and Syndergaard last year looked completely cooked.
Greinke yes. Syndergaard's at least young enough to maybe have some upside left. I'd rather give him a shot than run Brett Headrick out there and it feels like that's where we're heading in about a month.

Greinke yes. Syndergaard's at least young enough to maybe have some upside left. I'd rather give him a shot than run Brett Headrick out there and it feels like that's where we're heading in about a month.

Syndergaard is cooked. Too many injuries over the years and he hasn't been the same since Tommy John surgery. I'm not high on Headrick either, but he's a better option with more upside than Syndergaard at this point.

Gary Gaetti wore number 3 when he played for the Angels. Do you think it had anything to do with Harmon Killebrew?

Michael Cuddyer wore number 3 in Colorado as an homage to Harmon.

I can't really comment on the others, but Greinke and Syndergaard last year looked completely cooked.
Want nothing to do with either one of those 2

The above is why he will easily be an All Star and may end up winning an MVP asking the way and could lead us to another WS, if his health doesn’t totally betray him. Obviously, you would never trade him either, as you need a big dog, like him, to get to the WS level and would never receive remotely close the same value back. We got to roll the dice and hope we get some heathy seasons out of him.
In just his short run so far, it is obvious that Lewis is a clutch player that shines in big spots and is a natural leader. You cannot teach this, and you either have it or you don't. He does. There have been many years where the Twins are sorely lacking in that department. For that reason alone, I'm giving him more slack than say Buxton when it comes to injuries. He is worth way more in the playoffs. There's plenty of time to figure out if he's injury prone or not before figuring out his next contract. Yeah, you have to keep him on the 40-man, but that's a small price to pay, considering what you're currently paying him.

Given his injury history, no organization is going to offer a Hershel Walker type trade for him. And at this point, there's no reason to sell low. Thus, there's no reason to fret. Just hope he stays healthy and enjoy it when he plays.

Gary Gaetti wore number 3 when he played for the Angels. Do you think it had anything to do with Harmon Killebrew?

Michael Cuddyer wore number 3 in Colorado as an homage to Harmon.

I was at an Angels Spring Training game, 1992 when they would play games in Palm Springs, CA. I was walking towards the RF bleachers while they were taking BP and noticed Gaetti was getting his cuts. Hits one right at me that misses the stands and I grab it on one hop, as a swarm of kids were chasing it down. I gave it to a kid trailing the herd.

Pretty random but it was the same day as the Hill to Laetner shot that beat Kentucky. Heard it on the radio driving back to LA.

KANSAS CITY -- It looks like Royce Lewiswill miss meaningful time for a fifth consecutive season.

Lewis was placed on the IL on Saturday with what president of baseball operations Derek Falvey described as a “severe” right quad strain he sustained on Opening Day. In a corresponding move, the Twins' No. 15 prospect, Austin Martin, received his first Major League callup to fill the roster spot.

“Maybe I'm too electric for my own good,” Lewis said.

Frustrating player. Clearly a ton of talent but catches injuries.

Ultimate blue balls to slam a HR and then immediately get injured on your next at-bat.

Happy 73rd birthday to St. Paul native Tom Johnson. He had a stellar season out of the Twins bullpen in 1977, earning 16 wins (all in relief) and 15 saves. Those 16 wins were ninth-most in the American League, and 15 saves were seventh-most. I wonder how many guys have finished top-10 in both wins and saves in the same season. His 71 appearances were second in the AL only to the Yankees’ Sparky Lyle. Johnson even received MVP votes.

Johnson graduated from St. Paul’s Murray High School (now a middle school) in 1969, the same year Dave Winfield graduated from St. Paul Central. Both players accepted scholarships to play for coaches Dick Siebert and Jerry Kindall at the University of Minnesota, but Johnson backed out at the last minute and signed a professional contract with the Twins.

Louis looks likes he’s beefed up a bit or he’s wearing a smaller top🤔

Last edited:

Provus is doing a nice job of engaging Morneau with excellent questions, just asked him if a catcher throwing behind the runner is a set play. I don’t recall this being a strength of Dick’s.

Last edited:

It's probably not a good sign that Royce Lewis still is the sole Team Leader in Home Runs.

Clearly had to cut payroll $30 million 🙄

Steer with a 1.261 ops and Encarnacion already has a game winning homer.
How nice would it be to have those two fellows.

Top Bottom