All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

well, if you want to believe Doogie -
David Festa was scheduled to start for St. Paul today, but the Saints are going to a bullpen game instead.

unless there is an injury involved, it's possible that Festa could be called up to start for the Twins on Thursday in Arizona. there is an open spot on the 40-man roster.

Festa in St. Paul this season:
3.77 ERA - 59IP - 53H - 25ER - 87 K - 24 BB - 13.9 K/9 - 3.63 K/BB

well, if you want to believe Doogie -
David Festa was scheduled to start for St. Paul today, but the Saints are going to a bullpen game instead.

unless there is an injury involved, it's possible that Festa could be called up to start for the Twins on Thursday in Arizona. there is an open spot on the 40-man roster.

Festa in St. Paul this season:
3.77 ERA - 59IP - 53H - 25ER - 87 K - 24 BB - 13.9 K/9 - 3.63 K/BB
Let’s hope so!

Would track with what Gleeman wrote in the article I posted earlier in the week; it’s a day game - not past my bedtime😃

Tough loss last night. They deserved the win. Arizona's go ahead run was ridiculous and the Twins were hitting hard balls all over the field.

watching the replays, I think Buxton over-ran that ball in the 2nd inning that turned into a 3B. it looks as if he took a step too far and had to try and twist his body to make the catch. he then fell down and couldn't hold onto the ball. If Buxton makes that catch, it saves a run at least.

which does not change the fact that Alcala had two outs, nobody on and the #9 hitter up - and walked him. then he melted down and gave up the go-ahead run. that is what scares me about Alcala. He's got all the stuff he needs, but he still has these mental melt-downs.

---------
in other news:
saw a note that Brock Stewart will throw at least two bullpen sessions this week. They might have him throw in a simulated game after the road trip before deciding if he's ready for a rehab stint. Justin Topa (remember him) is going to throw a bullpen session next week, but even in a best-case scenario, Topa will not be ready until after the All-Star break.

and...............(sad trombone sound).......Matt Canterino has been shut down again with shoulder pain. He'll have an MRI next week and meet with his doctors.

watching the replays, I think Buxton over-ran that ball in the 2nd inning that turned into a 3B. it looks as if he took a step too far and had to try and twist his body to make the catch. he then fell down and couldn't hold onto the ball. If Buxton makes that catch, it saves a run at least.

which does not change the fact that Alcala had two outs, nobody on and the #9 hitter up - and walked him. then he melted down and gave up the go-ahead run. that is what scares me about Alcala. He's got all the stuff he needs, but he still has these mental melt-downs.
The walk was inexcusable. But a bloop to center and a soft infield hit followed, not really a meltdown.

DVR is your friend.
I have MLB TV so can watch replays at any time. Still more fun to watch it live. There's no way I won't be able to not look up the score periodically so I'll know the results already.

But yeah will still probably try to watch the replay. They do a condensed version of about 10 minutes of highlights that I like.

Starting to get to the point where math clicks in. If Indians only play 0.500 rest of the way, Twins would need to be 20 games over 0.500 rest of the way.

It is all about the wild card race.

some stats courtesy of Sarah Langs & MLB:

9-inning complete games with 10+ strikeouts and fewer than 90 pitches (since pitch counts were tracked starting in 1988)
Bailey Ober (today)
David Cone (perfect game - July 18, 1999
---------
for the Twins - 9-inning complete games on fewer than 90 pitches since 1988
Carlos Silva (74 pitches) 5/20/2005
John Smiley (80 pitches) 10/2/1992
Bill Krueger (85 pitches) 4/17/1992
Rick Aguilera (88 pitches) 9/26/1989
Bailey Ober (89 pitches) 6/22/2024
Apologies for the diversion here to Ope, but seeing forgotten Bill Krueger (forgotten for me, at least) pop up made my 👀 pop for Immaculate Grid purposes.

Check out this 1979 Wausau, Wisconsin card. Did you know Harmon Killebrew's son Cameron played in the Rangers organization?

Checks out with my developing theory that since the Rangers came into existence in Arlington every baseball player has a connection to that franchise. Remember “6 degrees of Kevin Bacon” in the nascent days of the internet? You could play a similar game with the Rangers, but I think you’d only need 3 (4 tops) degrees with all the players in ho’be spent time with more than one team.

Starting to get to the point where math clicks in. If Indians only play 0.500 rest of the way, Twins would need to be 20 games over 0.500 rest of the way.

Three of the last four World Series participants were wild cards. It’s all about qualifying and then getting hot in October. AZ finished 16 games behind LA but then beat them three straight in the playoffs last year.

A lot of the metrics show that Cleveland has been incredibly lucky so far. I would expect that luck to change at some point but who knows with them.

World War II veteran, nine-year major league second baseman, and longtime fan-favorite Minnesota Twins and St. Paul Saints coach Wayne Terwilliger was born in Clare, Michigan on this date in 1925.

He played minor league ball with the St. Paul Saints (Dodgers system) and Minneapolis Millers (Giants system).

Top Bottom