All Things 2024 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

What do the Wolves get out of it? 2nd rounder mid- century?
The Warriors have lots of picks, so I’m sure it will be sooner then that 😉

I’m not sure what more can be realistically expected for him.

The Warriors are kicking the tires on Lauri Markadin and have several first rounders they could package for him FWIW

The Warriors have lots of picks, so I’m sure it will be sooner then that 😉

I’m not sure what more can be realistically expected for him.

The Warriors are kicking the tires on Lauri Markadin and have several first rounders they could package for him FWIW
Future second round pick swap and cash.

I would have signed SloMo knowing that I would have always been able to move that salary midseason. When you're over the cap, it's really important to remember that all trades need to be near exact matches and it will now be really difficult for us to add any talent midseason. We lost a good player and the flexibility that his $9 million salary slot could allow. He was also super moveable prior to the end of the year (when the tax is calculated).

I would have signed SloMo knowing that I would have always been able to move that salary midseason. When you're over the cap, it's really important to remember that all trades need to be near exact matches and it will now be really difficult for us to add any talent midseason. We lost a good player and the flexibility that his $9 million salary slot could allow. He was also super moveable prior to the end of the year (when the tax is calculated).
It's my understanding that by signing Kyle to the same deal, the Wolves would be on the hook for an extra $40M in luxury tax regardless of what we did with him moving forward.

As another apron team, this was the only way for GSW to be able to acquire Kyle using the exceptions for losing Klay and CP3. The apron restrictions prevented them from signing him outright and why the S&T was required.

It sure would be nice if the NBA created rules that the fans could follow along with. Either way, we will really need to get some productive, meaningful minutes from a combo of TSJ, Dilly, Miller and Minott to solidify our bench with Naz and NAW.

It's my understanding that by signing Kyle to the same deal, the Wolves would be on the hook for an extra $40M in luxury tax regardless of what we did with him moving forward.

As another apron team, this was the only way for GSW to be able to acquire Kyle using the exceptions for losing Klay and CP3. The apron restrictions prevented them from signing him outright and why the S&T was required.

It sure would be nice if the NBA created rules that the fans could follow along with. Either way, we will really need to get some productive, meaningful minutes from a combo of TSJ, Dilly, Miller and Minott to solidify our bench with Naz and NAW.
I follow it fairly closely but I could definitely be wrong (see your last paragraph) and it is my understanding that luxury tax is calculated by the salary on the last regular season game of the year. So if we were able to trade him now or in February, it would have the same tax implications.

I follow it fairly closely but I could definitely be wrong (see your last paragraph) and it is my understanding that luxury tax is calculated by the salary on the last regular season game of the year. So if we were able to trade him now or in February, it would have the same tax implications.
Honestly, you could very well be right, Bob. I had better luck learning how to program my VCR back in the 80's than I do understanding the complexities of the NBA salary cap and tax aprons.

on the luxury tax - I saw a lot of people talking about how the drafting and signing of Dillingham and Shannon would impact the Wolves' luxury tax amount - taking their expected rookie-level deals and then applying the multiplier for being over the 2nd apron.

So it certainly seems as if the luxury tax changes based on roster moves.

(don't ask me to explain it - too much math for me)

but on the big picture - the Wolves have to find out if some of the younger guys can play. Minott, Miller, Garza - what is the point of having them on the roster if they're not good enough to make a contribution?

on the luxury tax - I saw a lot of people talking about how the drafting and signing of Dillingham and Shannon would impact the Wolves' luxury tax amount - taking their expected rookie-level deals and then applying the multiplier for being over the 2nd apron.

So it certainly seems as if the luxury tax changes based on roster moves.

(don't ask me to explain it - too much math for me)

but on the big picture - the Wolves have to find out if some of the younger guys can play. Minott, Miller, Garza - what is the point of having them on the roster if they're not good enough to make a contribution?
I think the assumption was that we were not going to trade Dillingham or Shannon. It's highly unlikely the Wolves would trade Dillingham before the end of the year.

This is a fantastic signing, probably even a better fit in terms of style than SloMo. I loved having Anderson on the team but the idea of swapping out those corner threes from SloMo to corner threes from Ingles is enticing.
Joe Ingles replaces Kyle Anderson.
Slo-Mo is replaced by No-mo!
I actually love this move!

this is a good move. older guys with thinning hair who still try to play rec-league hoops will have someone to root for.

saw a tweet that Ingles and Mike Conley have kids who are the same age. Ingles was joking about how his daughter wants to be in the same school as Conley's son. sounds like Ingles, Conley and Gobert are pretty tight after being teammates in Utah.

We got rid of "SloMo" for "MoSlo".

He put on a ton of weight last year but he can still shoot and was beloved in the ORL locker room. Good signing for the Vet Minimum.

Interesting. Still need a PG.
It’ll be interesting to see what they do at PG. I wonder if they think Conley, Dillingham, NAW, Edwards, and Clark can handle all of duties? Maybe re-sign Nix?

Maybe we see if any of the vets (D.smith or Kris Dunn?) cab be had for vet min?

It’ll be interesting to see what they do at PG. I wonder if they think Conley, Dillingham, NAW, Edwards, and Clark can handle all of duties? Maybe re-sign Nix?

Maybe we see if any of the vets (D.smith or Kris Dunn?) cab be had for vet min?
Jordan McLaughlin?

Top Bottom