All Things 2024 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Pre-NBA draft rant.

once again tonight, we get to watch the absolute dumbest ritual in pro sports.

NBA commissioner announces:
"with the 6th pick in the draft, Charlotte selects Joe Blow." Joe Blow comes up on stage, puts on a Hornets hat, poses for pictures with the Commissioner. And - at the same time, Woj and Shams are telling everyone that the pick has been traded, and Joe Blow will actually be playing for a different team.

please, NBA - change your rules so that trades can be announced during the draft - like the NFL does. stop this farce of players posing in the hat of a team that they will never play for.

it's stupid.

we now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

Pre-NBA draft rant.

"with the 6th pick in the draft, Charlotte selects Joe Blow." Joe Blow comes up on stage, puts on a Hornets hat, poses for pictures with the Commissioner. And - at the same time, Woj and Shams are telling everyone that the pick has been traded, and Joe Blow will actually be playing for a different team.

please, NBA - change your rules so that trades can be announced during the draft - like the NFL does. stop this farce of players posing in the hat of a team that they will never play for.

it's stupid.

I’ll get off your lawn ASAP 🤠

Okay NBA Draft Nicks/Experts/Knowledge Givers -

So basically anyone other than me🤠

Whom we taking and why?

Last edited:

Okay NBA Draft Nicks/Experts/Knowledge Givers -

So basically anyone other than me🤠

Whom we taking and why?
I'm holding out hope for Terrance Shannon Jr because he could help our offense immediately and can really put pressure on the ball defensively, too.

When my dream dies, I'm rolling with these guesses:

27. SF Baylor Scheierman (Creighton)
*** Kyle Anderson replacement with much more offense and much less defense

37. PG KJ Simpson (Colorado)
*** Young PG prospect that hopefully develops in the G League for a year

Last edited:

I'm holding out hope for Terrance Shannon Jr because he could help our offense immediately and can really put pressure on the ball defensively, too.

When my dream dies, I'm rolling with these guesses:

27. SF Baylor Scheierman (Creighton)
*** Kyle Anderson replacement with much more offense and much less defense
Saw him listed as our pick in a mock draft and they noted that he’s a better defender than given credit for as evidenced by him holding Dallas Knecht to 5-17 when they played.
37. PG KJ Simpson (Colorado)
*** Young PG prospect that hopefully develops in the G League for a year
Any trades possible?

Last edited:

Saw him listed as our pick in a mock draft and they noted that he’s a better defender than given credit for as evidenced by him holding Dallas Knecht to 5-17 when they played.

Any trades possible?
I expect the Wolves to basically run it back again next season but there could be a big trade (Durant, George or Trae) in the NBA tonight.

The Draft itself this year is kind of a dud with no "can't miss" guys in it. Next year is supposed to be stacked like no other.

Pre-NBA draft rant.

it's stupid.

FWIW - I just heard on the tenth hour of ESPN’s pre-draft coverage 🤦‍♂️, that the reason they don’t announce the trades as they happen is because the season calendar for the NBA doesn’t officially end until the end of June - it didn’t make any sense to me/wasn’t clearly explained.

Of course, no one mentioned anything about moving draft past that date or having the calendar end sooner; that ended my viewing.

Last edited:

The Timberwolves are trading a 2031 unprotected first and a protected 2030 pick swap to the Spurs for Dillingham, source tells
Love it, we still have our picks tonight, get O bench scoring and Conley’s heir apparent, who doesn’t mind coming off the bench.

As Knicks showed yesterday, you gotta be aggressive when your 🪟 is open!!!!

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths:
Dillingham is the most dynamic scoring guard in this draft. His combination of shiftiness, ball-handling, passing and shot-making prowess showed vividly off the bench at Kentucky. He averaged 15.2 points in 23.3 minutes per game.

Weaknesses: He lacks the ideal size and physicality to absorb contact in the lane and hold his own defensively, as he has only a 6-foot-3 wingspan with a frame under 170 pounds.

The verdict: Long known for his ability to heat up in a hurry at the prep level, Dillingham backed that up with efficient perimeter shot-making and steady decision-making as a passer and scorer in his lone season in the SEC. Even if he faces an uphill battle defensively, his offensive gifts give him some of the biggest star power of any prospect in this class. -- Jonathan Givony

Post-Draft Analysis

This pick belongs to the Timberwolves after they traded with the Spurs during Round 1.

Dillingham is going from San Antonio to Minnesota via trade, with San Antonio acquiring Minnesota's 2031 unprotected first and a top-1 protected 2030 pick swap, sources told ESPN. The Timberwolves were one of the teams hot on Dillingham's trail throughout the pre-draft process, with his creative playmaking and long-range shooting ability making him a favorite of team president Tim Connelly. Minnesota paid a high price in future draft capital but also vaulted high into the draft, acquiring a long-term backcourt partner for Anthony Edwards as Mike Conley nears the back end of his career. This is a move that could pay major dividends for the Timberwolves. The Spurs were ultimately open to moving this pick for value, and got it here. -- Jeremy Woo

Great move for the Wolves. They need an heir apparent PG and I believe they got the best PG in the draft.
Yep. He needs to add weight and strength, plus learn defense. Finishing at the rim will be difficult at his weight right now.

He might be able to get off of the bench and provide some points next season.

Per ESPN, the Spurs also have pick swap rights with Dallas in 2030. So in order for them to get any value, they just need to surpass the two teams in the WCF, with their 25 and 22 year old superstars in 6 years.

Terrence Shannon Jr 6'6 "219 lbs Illinois

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths: Shannon is an explosive wing who has long thrived defensively and in the open floor but made strides with his floor game as a fifth-year senior at Illinois.

Weaknesses: While he had an exceptionally efficient season, it was largely built on his free-throw shooting and shot-making prowess, as he still has something to prove as a spot-up shooter.

The verdict: Shannon emerged as one of the best players in college basketball last season, scoring in bunches, being assertive and pulling up off the dribble. He turned in several huge games late in the season when his jumper was falling, and he has significant

Last edited:

Top Bottom