All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I could be wrong, but I think this has something to do with NFL salary cap rules. If players are released after June 1st, the cap hit is pro-rated over two years. If they're released before June 1st, the entire cap hit falls on the next season.

not quite sure how things work in the event of a trade. I do know that if a player is released after June 1st, they receive their full salary for the next season, so any team trading for Cook or Smith would have to (I believe) assume the full salary or work out some kind of a restructuring or extension.

again, I may be wrong. I did not major in "Salary Cap rules" in college.
That is true and certainly why both are still here. Now that the draft is over, there's zero reason to do anything with Smith or Cook until after 6/1. I still think they're holding on to Smith to see what happens with Hunter and might just keep both. Cook will almost certainly be traded/released after 6/1.

They can't trade Hunter. They LITERALLY can't trade Hunter because of salary cap ramifications. Hunter is not going to be traded, barring something really unusual happening with his current contract.

They can't trade Hunter. They LITERALLY can't trade Hunter because of salary cap ramifications. Hunter is not going to be traded, barring something really unusual happening with his current contract.
They probably can't trade him under his current contract, though I think the 2023 cap # is close to a push after 6/1. He can agree to a restructured contract to facilitate a trade, which is not unusual. Aaron Rogers just did so last week.

They probably can't trade him under his current contract, though I think the 2023 cap # is close to a push after 6/1. He can agree to a restructured contract to facilitate a trade, which is not unusual. Aaron Rogers just did so last week.
Even under the current contract, Spotrac shows we'd save $5.5M in cap space in 2023 if we cut or trade Hunter after 6/1

zxzmdCN.png

Too bad. Need $$$ to sign more players.

Don't we have to sign like 20 more players to get to 90 for fall camp??
Do all 90 players count towards the Salary Cap? That can't be, I am not able to envision any team being Cap compliant if that were the case. Also it would seem like every team once the final roster cuts are made would have oodles of extra Cap room as well.

Undrafted Free Agents must not count until they make the final roster.

Do all 90 players count towards the Salary Cap? That can't be, I am not able to envision any team being Cap compliant if that were the case. Also it would seem like every team once the final roster cuts are made would have oodles of extra Cap room as well.

Undrafted Free Agents must not count until they make the final roster.
Good point, I don't know!

Adam Thielen was on with PA this morning. nothing controversial. sounds like Thielen is doing a local media tour and is trying to leave on a positive note.

couple of humorous notes: there is a golf simulator in the Panthers' locker room - and Thielen's locker is next to the simulator, so he said he has been going in early to get swings on the simulator before practice.

also said that he asked his sons what jersey they wanted, and they both said Bryce Young (instead of Thielen). lot of joking about the whole family having to get new clothing because so much of their stuff was purple.

assuming it wasn't just PR, sounds like no hard feelings toward the Vikings.

Nice to hear. Theilen was the solid #2 WR last season, and that will now be KJ Osborne, though Hockenson may defacto be the true #2 target in most passing plays.

Some interesting NFL schedule change notes.

- Already knew about the Thanksgiving Friday game.
- Teams may get tagged with a 2nd Thursday game. Previously, only would happen by having 2 teams that played on Thanksgiving get selected the following week. Also Thursday Season Opener teams would normally get a 2nd game as well.
- All games are Free Agents. I'm not sure how many exactly, but it means for sure, more Vikings games will be on Ch 4/WCCO/CBS instead of Ch 9/KMSP/Fox. Without digging, I am not sure if it will be 50/50. Sounds like NFC-Fox & AFC-CBS alignments aren't a thing anymore. Previously unless there was some sort of flex invoked, the only Vikes games on CBS were when they were hosting an AFC team.

- Teams may get tagged with a 2nd Thursday game. Previously, only would happen by having 2 teams that played on Thanksgiving get selected the following week. Also Thursday Season Opener teams would normally get a 2nd game as well.
- All games are Free Agents. I'm not sure how many exactly, but it means for sure, more Vikings games will be on Ch 4/WCCO/CBS instead of Ch 9/KMSP/Fox. Without digging, I am not sure if it will be 50/50. Sounds like NFC-Fox & AFC-CBS alignments aren't a thing anymore. Previously unless there was some sort of flex invoked, the only Vikes games on CBS were when they were hosting an AFC team.

Damn I love the release of the NFL schedule. It's like Christmas morning, seeing what teams you get on what days. I absolutely cannot wait.

NFC-Fox & AFC-CBS alignments aren't a thing anymore. Previously unless there was some sort of flex invoked, the only Vikes games on CBS were when they were hosting an AFC team.
Honestly fine with me. I prefer CBS and NBC over FOX and ESPN.

Tony Romo (CBS) is has really gotten on my nerves, but other than that I am pretty ambivalent. Just a different viewing pattern potentially.
It'll be interesting to see if Romo handles his business differently this year. I seem to remember more than one or two sources indicating that his schtick was wearing thin with people around him. He's got talent, maybe he'll figure things out, he's got a long career in the booth ahead of him if he does.

Tony Romo (CBS) is has really gotten on my nerves, but other than that I am pretty ambivalent. Just a different viewing pattern potentially.
To me for some reason, the picture quality seems worse on FOX. But that might be my imagination.

I hate the Thursday night games (other than Thanksgiving). Players are tired and hurt more than normal because of so little time to recover. It's usually really bad football.

Pretty big for WCCO and not good for Fox 9.

I hate the Thursday night games (other than Thanksgiving). Players are tired and hurt more than normal because of so little time to recover. It's usually really bad football.
Between bye weeks and having teams play back-to-back weeks, they should be able to minimize the # of teams playing on 4 days rest. They don't seem to put much effort into that though and I think there might be collective bargaining reasons they can't make teams play Thursday coming out of the bye.

Between bye weeks and having teams play back-to-back weeks, they should be able to minimize the # of teams playing on 4 days rest. They don't seem to put much effort into that though and I think there might be collective bargaining reasons they can't make teams play Thursday coming out of the bye.
Yeah I'm guessing the players don't want that. Then it's not really a bye week. The players would probably rather have extended time off rather than two smaller stretches.

Yeah I'm guessing the players don't want that. Then it's not really a bye week. The players would probably rather have extended time off rather than two smaller stretches.
As long as they can't be required to report until Tuesday of game week it wouldn't really effect the length they are off. Perhaps something they address in the next CBA.

Pretty big for WCCO and not good for Fox 9.
Do the local affiliate stations actually make much off of national programming? Advertisers are paying national CBS for the right to have commercials during NFL games?

Do the local affiliate stations actually make much off of national programming? Advertisers are paying national CBS for the right to have commercials during NFL games?
There are a set # of local ads in each game, and yes they make huge $$ off of them as a typical Vikings game gets like a 40 rating, basically the same as the Super Bowl. It's why they used to buy up the remaining tickets when the Vikings had black-out issues in the 80's/90's.

IIRC, the NFL has dropped it's black-out policy in recent years. In any event, the Vikings have never had a black-out issue post-1998 except for a couple play-off games that came close.

Last edited:

In addition to Howeda's comments the local affiliates can make really good coin on pregame shows (prior to the network) and postgame shows on Noon Sunday games if there is not a doubleheader.

I have been on the Lions bandwagon of sorts, since early December last season I have said they are the slight favorites to win the NFC North. Still I am shocked they get the NFL Opening Day nod against the Defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs.

Validation, I guess.

Has anyone on this Forum ever watched Lions/Chiefs game? Ever remember a highlight?

so the apparent Vikings schedule includes one date that jumps out to me:

A New Year's Eve home game against.......the Packers.

On a Sunday night, with the next day being a holiday (New Year's Day).

I'm calling it right now. this will be the drunkest event in the history of MN Sports.

Top Bottom