All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Tried watching some of the later round draft coverage.

Un F#@*ing Watchable.

The parade of has-beens, fake famous influencers, et al. trying to hype thier own brand while announcing the pick. Now let’s cut to a grown-ass man in face paint and costume act like he knows who TF Tyler Steen is.

Tried watching some of the later round draft coverage.

Un F#@*ing Watchable.

The parade of has-beens, fake famous influencers, et al. trying to hype thier own brand while announcing the pick. Now let’s cut to a grown-ass man in face paint and costume act like he knows who TF Tyler Steen is.
And now, they aren't even talking about the picks. It's all about the first round and bullshit like that.

Would not mind seeing To’o To’o slide a few more spots to the next Vikings pick…assuming they don’t move again.

Last edited:

Disagree "massive" "need". We do in fact have other WR on the team. Even a guy who was drafted before JJ! They were also high on Nailor. Oh well, sorry kid, it's just business.

So we used a first rounder on a guy who is .... what? Going to take targets away from Justin Jefferson??
No, possibly take the 2nd or 3rd defender off of him, though. I like the pick a lot.

OK. We spent our first rounder on a decoy. For an offense that won 13 games last year.
In 2019-2020, they averaged more points per game than we did last year. Those idiots still took Justin Jefferson in the first round. They also took a defender in the first round of that draft. His name was Jeff Gladney.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Many had a 3rd round grade on the running back that was drafted. Apparently he has some off the field issues. Speed isn't great but he has the good balance. Could be a possible darkhorse. Tends to fumble and is not a pass catcher.

Last edited:

Disagree "massive" "need". We do in fact have other WR on the team. Even a guy who was drafted before JJ! They were also high on Nailor. Oh well, sorry kid, it's just business.

So we used a first rounder on a guy who is .... what? Going to take targets away from Justin Jefferson??
Saying we have Jefferson, so we don't need another WR is like saying we don't need another CB after signing Murphy. You play a lot of them.

Your paragraph also proved my point, anyone who brings up Jaelon Reagor when talking about their depth at WR has absolutely no depth at WR. He'll be lucky to make the team.

Oh. So not our biggest need, just the 2nd biggest need. OK. Then if you had said that, I wouldn't have replied that way.

Your comment on the CB room seems perfectly fine ...... so draft Nolan Smith. Or a DL.
I would have been cool with Nolan Smith too, I just think OLB/DE is a much smaller need.

We currently have Hunter, Z. Smith, Davenport, and Wonnom. Even if they aren't ideal fits, all of them can play (even though I assume we dump Z. Smith).

I think the only point we disagree is that I don't think we absolutely needed to shoe-horn a defensive player into that pick. I don't think there was a CB I would have picked at that spot, and I don't think there was a DT worth the pick.

I think the best player at the biggest position of need was probably Addison.

Lawsuit for being discriminated against in head coach hiring, not at all applicable to giving our defensive coordinator players he needs.
You don't think it is, I do. I wouldn't hand over our entire draft to Brian Flores. The guy was given every single opportunity and still sued the NFL, complained the Dolphins were racist (the team with a black GM, black head coach) and allegedly sabotaged the Brady to Miami deal.

I'm sure he's a good coordinator. We'll see. But I'm not handing over all personnel decision to him.

You don't think it is, I do. I wouldn't hand over our entire draft to Brian Flores. The guy was given every single opportunity and still sued the NFL, complained the Dolphins were racist (the team with a black GM, black head coach) and allegedly sabotaged the Brady to Miami deal.

I'm sure he's a good coordinator. We'll see. But I'm not handing over all personnel decision to him.

Appears you may not be familiar with his CV before Miami.

He was on the Patriots staff from 2008-2018, that tenure means he was on the staff of 4 SB Winners and he was the defensive play caller for the last one in 2018.

He’s still only 42 years old - so yes, he appears to be qualified to be our DC. He may not have the skill set to be a HC; many coordinators do not.

We really need the guys from 2022 draft to step up. Especially need Aasamoah and one or both of Booth/Evans. Would be nice if Cine, our #1 pick, also jumped up but we have the safety spot covered better than LB and CB for next season.
Hopefully Chandler and Nailor also find important roles.

Didn’t say no need, said need (far) less than all of defense.

Irreverent question. I simply would’ve said “Brian, who do you want? Done.”
This is the strangest take I've ever seen.

The Cowboys don't even do that with Dan Quinn.

Flores got terrible legal advice, I'm not going to hold that against him. I'm guessing he had to learn something during his time in Miami, specifically you can't treat people like shit 100% of the time and get good results. I think he's a fantastic defensive coach and I'm hoping he brings that to the Vikings.

SKOL!!!

Flores got terrible legal advice, I'm not going to hold that against him. I'm guessing he had to learn something during his time in Miami, specifically you can't treat people like shit 100% of the time and get good results. I think he's a fantastic defensive coach and I'm hoping he brings that to the Vikings.

SKOL!!!
Yeah, I actually think he's a good coach and I'm cool with his role as DC of the Vikes (massive upgrade over the last guy too). I just don't think I'd let him be in charge of all of our personnel decisions.

I would have been cool with Nolan Smith too, I just think OLB/DE is a much smaller need.

We currently have Hunter, Z. Smith, Davenport, and Wonnom. Even if they aren't ideal fits, all of them can play (even though I assume we dump Z. Smith).

I think the only point we disagree is that I don't think we absolutely needed to shoe-horn a defensive player into that pick. I don't think there was a CB I would have picked at that spot, and I don't think there was a DT worth the pick.

I would've preferred JPJ considering how pass happy the league is today but I also agree with your point. We really made WR a strength and did manage to go Defense with our next three (3) picks.

QB Cousins
RB Cook/Mattison
WR Jefferson
WR Addison
WR Osborn
TE Hockenson

That looks pretty damn good on paper. Now we just need to find a way to hold teams under 30. 😬

Defensive coordinator gets no say in who is drafted on defense??

Come on man ...
Of course they get an opinion and that opinion should be given it's proper value, but do they just get the keys to the draft? Nope.

There is a giant gulf between what you're suggesting and a "say in who is drafted on defense".

Of course they get an opinion and that opinion should be given it's proper value, but do they just get the keys to the draft? Nope.

There is a giant gulf between what you're suggesting and a "say in who is drafted on defense".
How is it any different than calling plays??

Is KOC going to be like "Brian, I'm interested in your opinion about this next defensive play. But just remember, I'm in charge here, and I'll have the final say" ??

In 2019-2020, they averaged more points per game than we did last year. Those idiots still took Justin Jefferson in the first round. They also took a defender in the first round of that draft. His name was Jeff Gladney.

Just a thought.
Jefferson was drafted to replace clear #1, star receiver Stefan Diggs. That scenario certainly rises up to using a first rounder. Replacing a "decoy" receiver does not.

Gladney was going to be an All-Pro. Until he assaulted his girlfriend and got kicked out of the league for it. There was zero possible way to predict he was going to do that. Prove me wrong

How is it any different than calling plays??

Is KOC going to be like "Brian, I'm interested in your opinion about this next defensive play. But just remember, I'm in charge here, and I'll have the final say" ??
Because calling plays on defense is a much smaller task than having control of the entire draft?!? Does this need to be explained?

I don't think KOC has final say on personnel decisions, I'd guess it's actually the Wilfs who give almost all of that control to our GM.

I'd imagine the GM gives more weight to KOC's opinion than FLores' opinion, but more weight to Flores' opinion than LBer coach's opinion.

Because calling plays on defense is a much smaller task than having control of the entire draft?!? Does this need to be explained?

I don't think KOC has final say on personnel decisions, I'd guess it's actually the Wilfs who give almost all of that control to our GM.

I'd imagine the GM gives more weight to KOC's opinion than FLores' opinion, but more weight to Flores' opinion than LBer coach's opinion.
"Control of the entire draft" is not being honest, and is no where near what I was implying.

Agree that Kwesi is the GM and the head of personnel decision making and thus the draft. KOC does not and should not have much of an opinion on defensive players ... he's strictly an offensive guy. He's just an OC who also has upjumped responsibilities of being the head coach. Thus, our DC would have the equivalent opinions on defense.

So it would simply go like this:

- if drafting an offensive player with the current pick: "Kevin, who do you want?"
- if drafting a defensive player with the current pick: "Brian, who do you want?"

And they should have drafted defense at 23.

And sure, I grant you fully that Kwesi will have an opinion at all positions and perhaps may have veto power on which direction to go at a spot and on the particular player at a spot. Sure

Jefferson was drafted to replace clear #1, star receiver Stefan Diggs. That scenario certainly rises up to using a first rounder. Replacing a "decoy" receiver does not.

Gladney was going to be an All-Pro. Until he assaulted his girlfriend and got kicked out of the league for it. There was zero possible way to predict he was going to do that. Prove me wrong
You need to slow down a bit before you type.

#1 - Thielen was our clear #2 last year. He was second on the team in receptions, yards, and TDs.
#2 - Gladney wasn't kicked out of the league for beating up his Gf, he signed with the Cardinals after we cut him and he continued to suck there. He then passed away in an auto accident.
#3 - Gladney had character issues before we drafted him.

Top Bottom