All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

FWIW - Doogie on Skor North says he's hearing that the Vikings are likely going to release Harrison Smith. reading between the lines, sounds like Smith wants more $$ than the Vikes are willing to pay. this is starting to feel like a fairly major revamp - if not a full 'rebuild.'

Doogie also says Vikes want as much cap room as possible in '24 - which could mean they let Cousins play out his contract in '23 and maintain all their options for '24.
..... don't we have to sign Justin Jefferson in 24?

Anyone think we’ll miss Dantzler?

I really liked what Evans showed as a rookie, when he had a chance to show it.

More than Booth, to be honest. But I think the idea is that both are expects to contribute next season? Hopefully PP comes back one more year to continue help mentor them and play a role as well.

Could suddenly be a very young defensive backfield.

I have no problem with that.

Whatever helps then justify NOT extending Kirk this offseason.

..... don't we have to sign Justin Jefferson in 24?

'23 is the last year of his current contract. So the Vikings could sign him to an extension, but it wouldn't kick in until '24. a lot depends on how the contract is structured with signing bonuses, guaranteed money and so forth.

But, Jefferson has made noise that he wants to be the highest-paid non-QB in the NFL.

what might that mean? Well, here's the top WR list --

1. Dolphins WR Tyreek Hill: $30 million
2. Raiders WR Davante Adams: $28 million
3. Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins: $27.3 million
4. Rams WR Cooper Kupp: $26.7 million
5. Eagles WR A.J. Brown: $25 million

If JJ is getting $30-million plus, you cannot have Cousins making $35 million or more. Not unless you want everyone else on the team playing for minimum wage.

Patrick Peterson to the Steelers.

What does that save us?

Is Moore a number one? Don’t know much about him. Stats aren’t too impressive. Again don’t know much about him.
Even crazier, just heard on ESPN that Moore’s career total of ~5200 is the most in 🐻 history which is over 100 years.

Unbelievable

Not sure I understand this one.

Not sure I understand this one.

It makes sense if they're tanking for Caleb Williams.

Otherwise, spending that amount of money on a backup TE either proves KAM is stupid, or they're going to dump Hockenson after this season.

It makes sense if they're tanking for Caleb Williams.

Otherwise, spending that amount of money on a backup TE either proves KAM is stupid, or they're going to dump Hockenson after this season.
Without knowing the guaranteed $$ and the 2023 cap #, you can't really judge it.

Davenport had 1/2 a sack last year.

That's 26 million per sack!

Well, good for him, I guess.

Davenport had 1/2 a sack last year.

That's 26 million per sack!

Well, good for him, I guess.
He was hurt, bad foot. Had 9 sacks in 2021.

I’m guessing this means Smith is gone for sure.

So who's leaving next to free up the money the Vikings need to sign these guys?

I've seen a lot of contradictory tweets today on Dalvin Cook. Some tweets claiming that the Vikings are working on or are "close to" a deal to trade Cook. But other tweets saying that's not the case.

And speaking of Dalvins - Dalvin Tomlinson goes to the Browns - 4 yrs, $57-Million.

the big defensive revamp continues.

He was hurt, bad foot. Had 9 sacks in 2021.

I’m guessing this means Smith is gone for sure.
Smith didn't want $13M?
EDIT: were you talking about Z or Harrison? Both probably gone, anyway

Obviously he (EDIT: I mean Z, here) just wanted the hell out of here, no matter what. Maybe he hates Flores? I don't know, but clearly didn't want anything to do with the Vikings moving forward.

Smith didn't want $13M?

Obviously he (EDIT: I mean Z, here) just wanted the hell out of here, no matter what. Maybe he hates Flores? I don't know, but clearly didn't want anything to do with the Vikings moving forward.
Was talking about Z. He wants out anyways so Davenport is probably his replacement.

We're not going to be able to afford too much free agent stuff, as far as signing guys who are likely going to be on the field making some kind of impact for sure.

Depth guys or "take a chance" guys, to fill out the roster, yeah.

Gonna have to go draft to get some more guys who can hopefully play and make a difference.

Do we draft DT with our first pick, now?

Smith didn't want $13M?

Z thinks hes underpaid.

Was talking about Z. He wants out anyways so Davenport is probably his replacement.

Most definitely a "prove it" year for Davenport; not a bad thing to have someone that talented with some serious motivation on his mind.

The new regime, as was discussed on a pod I was listening to, is definitely more "high risk-high reward" than the Spielman days. Spielman seemed to steer towards high floor guys but never wanted to take on this kind of bust potential. Merits to both ways of operating, it's a roll of the dice either way.

At the end of the day, none of us are GM's; I trust the new head shed until they give us a pile of reasons not to. I still think KAM and KOC are a couple of really smart guys who probably surrounded themselves with really smart people.

Taylor Heinicke got a nice 2-year deal from Atlanta. Good for him.

He's an easy guy to root for.

Top Bottom