All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Good post.

I don't know much about these QBs. But let's say Poles thinks they suck. Poles should try and trade back and get a first rounder for next year, to help move up next draft to get a QB

Here's another thing I had forgotten that was mentioned in a podcast today. Kevin Warren is now the Prez/CEO of the Bears. Hmmmm...

Justin Fields was spearheading a lot of the movement making Warren look like a f'ng doofus when it came to whether or not the B1G was going to play games during the Covid year. Fields showed some serious leadership chops as he became the spokesman for the B1G players who were fighting so hard to play games and not shitcan the season.

Hard to say that would factor in much at all but it's possibly part of the equation and decision-making.

SMH.... ESPN QBR....

How can anyone take ESPN's rankings seriously when they have Tua at #3, Daniel Jones at #6 and Jacoby Brissett at #8?

Oh, and Joe Burrow at #10 and Justin Herbert at #11?

that's why I listed ratings from 5 different outlets.

I am not endorsing QBR - just using it as one of several reference points.

for tmvander:
the ESPN QBR has
Mahomes #1 at 77.6
Trevor Lawrence #15 at 54.5
Cousins #23 at 49.9
Baker Mayfield #31 at 24.5

so what is QBR - this is what it says on the website
  • QBR:Adjusted Total Quarterback Rating, which values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced.
  • PAA:Number of points contributed by a quarterback, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of an average quarterback.
  • PLAYS: Plays on which the QB has a non-zero expected points contribution. Includes most plays that are not handoffs.
  • EPA:Total expected points added with low leverage plays, according to ESPN Win Probability model, down-weighted.
  • PASS:Expected points added on pass attempts with low leverage plays down-weighted.
  • RUN:Clutch-weighted expected points added through rushes
  • SACK:Expected points added on sacks with low leverage plays down-weighted.
  • PEN:Expected points added on penalties with low leverage plays down-weighted.

"We're Number 1"

from ESPN:

The NFL Players Association on Wednesday released what it describes as "free agency report cards" for all 32 teams, presenting the results of a player survey on topics ranging from quality of team facilities to treatment of player families. The players' union ranked all 32 teams against each other in the hope of providing players with information they might be able to use in free agency when deciding on new teams.

The top three-ranked teams overall, in order, were the Minnesota Vikings, the Miami Dolphins and the Las Vegas Raiders. The bottom three (ranked 30 through 32, in order) were the Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals and the Washington Commanders.

NFLPA president JC Tretter said that roughly 1,300 players responded to the survey. Players were asked their opinions on their own teams only and received a 60-question survey covering eight topics -- treatment of player families, food service/nutrition, weight room, strength coaches, training room, training staff, locker room and team travel.

"We're Number 1"

from ESPN:

The NFL Players Association on Wednesday released what it describes as "free agency report cards" for all 32 teams, presenting the results of a player survey on topics ranging from quality of team facilities to treatment of player families. The players' union ranked all 32 teams against each other in the hope of providing players with information they might be able to use in free agency when deciding on new teams.

The top three-ranked teams overall, in order, were the Minnesota Vikings, the Miami Dolphins and the Las Vegas Raiders. The bottom three (ranked 30 through 32, in order) were the Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals and the Washington Commanders.

NFLPA president JC Tretter said that roughly 1,300 players responded to the survey. Players were asked their opinions on their own teams only and received a 60-question survey covering eight topics -- treatment of player families, food service/nutrition, weight room, strength coaches, training room, training staff, locker room and team travel.
Two new coaching staffs. One got fired...

On the players survey - saw a story that the Baltimore Ravens replaced several members of their training staff AFTER the results of the survey became public. former Gopher Rashad Bateman had been tweeting some things about "fans don't know the whole story" or something to that effect.

some of the survey comments are pretty wild, like Washington players saying they didn't want to do rehab in the team's facilities because they were so bad.

On the players survey - saw a story that the Baltimore Ravens replaced several members of their training staff AFTER the results of the survey became public. former Gopher Rashad Bateman had been tweeting some things about "fans don't know the whole story" or something to that effect.

some of the survey comments are pretty wild, like Washington players saying they didn't want to do rehab in the team's facilities because they were so bad.
Washington players also need to pay for box lunches.
Jacksonville has rat 🐀 infestation in both the locker and training rooms

So what do you guys do with Kurt? Sounds like Vikings wants to play out year, would consider a two year contract, Kirk wants a long term contract.

If I im vikings, i'll lock him up, but after this season he gets 20 mil a year for the next 2 or 3 years.

I thought they took care of that when they fired Urban Meyer.
As quipped on PTI, how does Washington rank lower than rats ( they were the only team ranked lower than the Jags and their rodent friends)? What’s lower than a rat?

Daniel Snyder

Last edited:

"We're Number 1"

from ESPN:

When the AZ Cardinals were hot and heavy after Sean Payton for their HC gig, I had heard a handful of reports that the condition of the facilities was a MAJOR concern for Payton, that the Bidwills and Cardinals would have to make a major commitment to improving facilities for Payton to even consider it.

It's really kind of shocking that in a billion dollar industry the facilities can vary so greatly over 32 franchises.

When the AZ Cardinals were hot and heavy after Sean Payton for their HC gig, I had heard a handful of reports that the condition of the facilities was a MAJOR concern for Payton, that the Bidwills and Cardinals would have to make a major commitment to improving facilities for Payton to even consider it.

It's really kind of shocking that in a billion dollar industry the facilities can vary so greatly over 32 franchises.
With salary cap limitations for players, it's one of the few things that is an "arms" race in the NFL.

How do you think the owners got rich in the first place? It's being very strategic with their money. If they lose a prospective free agent or two along the way due to their decrepit facilities, is that worth the amount of capital involved with having "first class facilities"?

Both the Wolves and Gophers BB have relatively new practice facilities, and were completed within a couple years of each other. In many ways, the Gophers facility is nicer than the Wolves.

So what do you guys do with Kurt? Sounds like Vikings wants to play out year, would consider a two year contract, Kirk wants a long term contract.

If I im vikings, i'll lock him up, but after this season he gets 20 mil a year for the next 2 or 3 years.

some pundit on the internet is promoting the idea of the Vikes trading Cousins to the 49'ers for a package that would include Trey Lance and another player or draft picks.

I would at least consider it. BUT I am biased. I'm from SW MN and watched Lance play in HS.

some pundit on the internet is promoting the idea of the Vikes trading Cousins to the 49'ers for a package that would include Trey Lance and another player or draft picks.

I would at least consider it. BUT I am biased. I'm from SW MN and watched Lance play in HS.
I'd be ok with it as long as Lance isnt the top asset coming in the deal

(I assume you meant Kirk, but honestly who cares what his first name is :cool: )

When you sign a contract, you do it.

If he wants to sit out, F him. If he wants to be traded, trade his ass. If he wants to play for the Vikings this season, then play for the Vikings this season.

He is not in any way, shape, or form a "long term" solution for us.

How do you think the owners got rich in the first place? It's being very strategic with their money. If they lose a prospective free agent or two along the way due to their decrepit facilities, is that worth the amount of capital involved with having "first class facilities"?

Both the Wolves and Gophers BB have relatively new practice facilities, and were completed within a couple years of each other. In many ways, the Gophers facility is nicer than the Wolves.
On the other hand, the Wilfs certainly figured something out. They didn't build world-class, leading the NFL practice facilities as a one-off thing. Lots of development around those that they planned from the beginning to profit off of. Works for me! Obviously works for Eagan.

Young will be better than Murray. He doesn't have the maturity and leadership problems that Murray has, but he may be too short to ever be truly elite.

I agree. Murray is not 5-10, but he was fairly thick; I seriously doubt Bryce Young is 204, not close. But Young I would guess is infinitely more mature than Murray, with considerably better leadership skills. Murray is still really young, I'm really, REALLY hoping he figures some shit out this offseason, maturity-wise, or else that pick and contract will set the Cardinals franchise back 6-8 years.

I'm not sure I would draft any of the QB's in this years draft higher than the 17-20th range, but no doubt several of them will go super high. If you don't REALLY think a QB is going to be Mahomes or Burrow or Herbert, it's tough to justify using a top 10-12 pick on a QB.

Vikes are in a catch-22: even if they see a QB in this year's draft that they really like - they are picking 23rd in the 1st round and they only have 4 draft picks. if they wanted to move up to go after a QB, they would have to trade away a lot of future 1st and 2nd-round picks.

and that does not address any of their other needs. their new DC is going to want (or expect) some help on defense. plus, until they clear a butt-load of cap space, they can't go after any significant free agents.

so, trading Kirk for picks or players would at least present a different option.

if I had to guess - they let Kirk play out his contract and go after a QB next year.

^^^^^ Loving it. He's been done for years.

Saves 9.5 million.

The Vikings will make some more cuts like this, restructure some contracts, and sign some difference maker free agents. I'm kind of pumped.

I wonder if inside linebackers are or are becoming like running backs?

Used to be a position of dominate stars, now seems less and less likely to affect the outcome of the game?

Top Bottom