All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I look at baseball season with the goal as getting to 20 games over .500 (91 wins).
I figger 20 over .500 gives a pretty decent chance to make playoffs.

Really tough if nats sweep us. We fall to .500 versus 6 over .500 if we sweep them.

We certainly can still work our way back up, but it is a big time opportunity lost as nats are one of the worst teams.

I've never seen such weak contact get rewarded in this series. Twins aren't playing well but my goodness that is a lot of weak ass stuff falling.
That’s the thing with the twins approach. Twins have struck out 192 times over 20 games or 9.6 times a game. Basically 1/3 of their outs this year strikeouts.

Washington on the other hand is dead last in the majors. They have struck out 127 times in 19 games or 6.6 times per game or 1/4 of their outs.

Thats why all those people that say strikeouts are just regular outs are not 100% accurate. There is no good outcome from a strikeout unlike if you fight off a pitch you can be rewarded like the nationals have been.

Just one more carrot on top of this crap game the twins had a guy batting .175 this year batting cleanup today. He was 1-4 with 4 LOB and actually raised his average. Yesterday he batter lead off.

If Kepler is here for no other reason than his defense then he needs to bat 8-9 not lead off and in the cleanup hole.

I'm at the point with Falvey/Rocco as with Ben Johnson. I'm pretty sure they're not it. But pleaes either win or blow up bad enough that someone else will be given a shot.

I'm at the point with Falvey/Rocco as with Ben Johnson. I'm pretty sure they're not it. But pleaes either win or blow up bad enough that someone else will be given a shot.
Overall I still think the front office has done a good job with the moves they’ve made, drafts, etc. The contract extensions of guys like Buxton, Polanco, Lopez and even Kepler were very team friendly contracts and good moves at the time. Develop in the minors has been good overall, probably better for position players than pitchers.

But for whatever reason many players just don’t get it done once they’re with the big club. For example, the approach at the plate so many times is atrocious. And it’s gotta be at least partly on the coaching staff. I would like to see some big changes there if they don’t make the playoffs.

Eventually. Not this year.

Not particularly worried about a player who hit .268 with 15 dongs and 66 RBIs - he’s earned the benefit of the doubt.

He simply needs to relax and not be pull happy- prior to yesterday, of his 17 hits, 15 were to left - he’s a gap to gap guy. Roy also talked about this on the telecast yesterday - the hit stats are curtesy of baseball savant.

Lastly, while he is not a great defender yet, I think he’ll get to above average with more experience, he’s a little below average now, but significantly better than Luis is - per baseball savant

Last edited:

Just one more carrot on top of this crap game the twins had a guy batting .175 this year batting cleanup today. He was 1-4 with 4 LOB and actually raised his average. Yesterday he batter lead off.

If Kepler is here for no other reason than his defense then he needs to bat 8-9 not lead off and in the cleanup hole.

I mean their clean up hitter today is Miranda who after a 2-2 start has a .271 slugging %

This offense is fucking brutal.

We have 0 runs through 3 innings against the literal worst pitcher in the bigs over the last 3 years.

I mean their clean up hitter today is Miranda who after a 2-2 start has a .271 slugging %

This offense is fucking brutal.

We have 0 runs through 3 innings against the literal worst pitcher in the bigs over the last 3 years.

Keep posting 😉

last few games haven't been pretty.

on the plus side, the starters are going to keep the Twins in most games. the back end of the bullpen is going to be able to hold most leads.

but until or unless this team starts hitting better and scoring more runs, there are going to be a lot of close games.

considering how bad the division is looking, anything much over a .500 record could put the Twins in the playoffs. which is better than not making the playoffs.

P.S. - didn't watch the game today on TV. listened on the radio, and the Twins won.

so I'm taking credit for the win.

seriously, solid start by Ober and bats came up with enough runs. that is the blueprint for this team night now.

interesting to see what the brain trust does with the starting rotation. I could see them going to a 6-man rotation. Ober probably deserves to be in the majors.

Season's not over, but it's all a mirage.

Can you imagine this team sneaking in the playoffs in this shit division, and going against a number 1 and 2 starter?

I'm not going to get too worked up about the hitting yet. It's normal for hitters to start slow, especially up north when it's cold, then heat up as the weather heats up. Plus the lineup can get better as more players get healthy.

Despite how bad the offense has been, they are still 2nd in the AL central in runs scored, 1 ahead of Cleveland, and only 3 behind the White Sox.

I'm not going to get too worked up about the hitting yet. It's normal for hitters to start slow, especially up north when it's cold, then heat up as the weather heats up. Plus the lineup can get better as more players get healthy.

Despite how bad the offense has been, they are still 2nd in the AL central in runs scored, 1 ahead of Cleveland, and only 3 behind the White Sox.
With the pitching staff, just an average offense will be enough to win a lot of games. And they can be that IMO.

Supposedly Kirilloff is traveling with St Paul so I doubt he’ll get the call anytime soon.

Like why not try to steal 2nd with Buxton after his single? There’s no reason a guy like him shouldn’t steal 20+ bases with the new rules.
Too risky. Just like playing him in CF is too risky. Which is dumb because he's not Mike Trout at the plate.

Like why not try to steal 2nd with Buxton after his single? There’s no reason a guy like him shouldn’t steal 20+ bases with the new rules.
The twins were preaching all spring training that they were going to be more agressive in the base paths. This included stealing bases and not max Kepler being thrown out at 3rd in a 6 run game.

Right now there are 20 teams on pace to steal 100 or more bases in 2023. The twins have 1 stolen base so far this year. This is just another example of the twins saying one thing and doing the exact opposite.

To get to 91 wins, Twins have to go 79-61 rest of the way. Good news is only 4 teams have played a tougher schedule so far. With the new schedule, may be easier to win the division than get a wild card.

White Sox have to go 84-56 to get 91 wins.

As they say, cant win a title in April but can lose it in April.

Supposedly Kirilloff is traveling with St Paul so I doubt he’ll get the call anytime soon.

Just looked at AK’s numbers and he played 4 games in Ft. Myers and now has played 4 at St. Paul.

My guess is that due to the severity of this wrist injury and has been a chronic issue for him, they are being Uber careful with him, as if it goes kaput time, he’s likely done for good. For those of you who have chronic conditions, you may understand about treatment plans and that they move at Their pace.

Possible, they also may be working this out with timing of other players as well.

I could see Gallo to right or left, all depending on if Larnach can figure out how to hit the off speed stuff, which he sees at as a high rate as basically anyone in MLB.

interesting article/concept on the future of selling tickets for baseball (such a large inventory) -

Name your own price for MLB tickets? Twins and start-up TicketRev see a future​

As Major League Baseball navigates the upheaval in television distribution, commissioner Rob Manfred believes the league has “a massive advantage” with the volume of content it controls. Its inventory, the league’s 2,430 regular-season games, amounts to a bevy of programming that can be dangled to potential streaming partners, well more than other major sports leagues can offer.

But at the gate, where teams have another major revenue stream, the sheer number of games has a different effect: It creates a lot of leftovers. Almost nightly, every team has remnant inventory, tickets it would love to move, but doesn’t.

“The notorious challenge is teams obviously want to increase their attendance, they want to be able to sell more concessions, parking, etc.,” said Jason Shatsky, CEO of the start-up TicketRev.

Shatsky co-founded TicketRev two years ago around a basic concept: Let people name their own price for tickets to sports and other events, the same approach Priceline once took to travel. The company so far has more than 5,000 users, Shatsky said.

In the early going, he’s found that buyers don’t necessarily have a set budget. Rather, what they want first and foremost, he believes, is a sense they are getting a deal.

“For whichever events or events you select, you will see a suggested range,” Shatsky said. “There’s essentially a horizontal slider in orange. A portion of it is green, that’s where we suggest placing your offer — the closer to the green, the better chance that it’s accepted. We find that a lot of people will go just below the green in hopes of catching a deal. But as we know, prices often drop closer to an event. And so our technology will automatically purchase when it hits a certain price point and your request.”

TicketRev does not promise that a ticket will be available at the price one bids, and the company to this point doesn’t maintain its own ticket inventory. Rather, it takes the bids and brings them to brokers and secondary markets to see if a match can be found. Shatsky said the company is starting to work with primary sellers — meaning, teams themselves — and hopes it can eventually sell inventory directly.

One major league club, the Minnesota Twins, has its eye on some form of implementation for 2024.

“We’re in the process of exploring what that could look like,” said Chris Iles, the Twins’ senior director of brand experience and innovation. “The ticketing game moves at a very, very slow pace.”

The Twins were one of the investors in a $1.1 million funding round TicketRev just finished. The team has an accelerator that provides funding and hands-on guidance to a class of 10 companies each year, and TicketRev was part of last year’s class.

Iles said he was surprised that a name-your-price option hasn’t taken off before.

“I am honestly, and I don’t know why we haven’t thought of it,” he said. “But we’re really interested to see where it can go from there. … Anything that we can do to make the ticket buying process more fan-friendly is a step in the right direction. The ticketing game has been notoriously tough on fans over the years.”

But name-your-own-price is a tricky space for teams to work in. A lot of start-ups are trying to reimagine ticket selling. Likely, every one of them at some point has or will brush up against team and league concerns of cannibalization. Teams don’t want to lose the revenue of season tickets, and yet, there’s a need for innovation.

Clubs “can’t lower their individual price below the season-ticket holder rate, because it devalues their product, makes them look bad, and upsets season ticket holders who are committing to a quarter, half or full season,” Shatsky said.

“Teams need a way to be able to sell tickets more discreetly,” he continued. “So what’s great about our product vs. any other marketplaces is that teams are not actually listing their inventory for sale at an advertised price. They’re able to put our white label product with them out either via email, via social media, direct channels, where they can then collect this information on how much people are willing to spend. They have the ability to accept those offers and sell in a much more discrete manner.”

Chris Giles, formerly the COO of the A’s, runs a company called FanRally that is pushing change in a different form, through the use of memberships.

“The broader problem is, we don’t have very efficient ways for monetizing last-minute inventory in today’s ecosystem,” Giles said. “We live in a zero-marginal-cost environment. In other words, that seat that goes unsold not only wouldn’t have cost us anything to sell that seat — we don’t have to hire an extra usher, an extra security guard, an extra ticket taker — but that individual is going to come into the ballpark, and he’s going to spend on merchandise and food and beverage.

“The biggest barrier to progress on this front has been the stranglehold that is the traditional season ticket.”

If the Twins or any other team do wind up wanting to use TicketRev in some form, it would require approval of the commissioner’s office because the league controls digital assets.

“We are never going to sell a ticket for below what we would sell to a season-ticket holder,” Iles said of the Twins. “Our season ticket holders will always get the best price. So you know, a name-your-price tool is probably more of a secondary market type of thing. Which, you know, we find intriguing. … But, I’ll just be clear that we would never undercut our bread and butter, which is our season-ticket holders.”

With the money he just raised in the pre-seed round, Shatsky intends to add staff and attract more users. If the company can scale, the data it can provide partner teams will give them new insights about price points.

“If you have secondary marketplaces or even primary sites, where the price you see is what you pay plus fees, the people who don’t end up buying them, you never know what their interest level was, who they are, how much they would spend with our platform,” Shatsky said. “Even if the team doesn’t end up accepting (a bid through TicketRev), they have the data on who this person is and how much they would pay.”

To get to 91 wins, Twins have to go 79-61 rest of the way. Good news is only 4 teams have played a tougher schedule so far. With the new schedule, may be easier to win the division than get a wild card.

While Cleveland won the AL Central with 92 wins last year, the winner this year is much less likely to even get 90.

- As you indicated, the more balanced schedule will impact that total.
- The Guards went on a tear the last 60 games (37-23) which would be tough to repeat against any scheduled, especially harder because that again was largely against AL Central foes.

We’re currently on a pace for 88 wins playing at a ,545 winning %.

I’ll take the over on 91 wins.

Just looked at AK’s numbers and he played 4 games in Ft. Myers and now has played 4 at St. Paul.

My guess is that due to the severity of this wrist injury and has been a chronic issue for him, they are being Uber careful with him, as if it goes kaput time, he’s likely done for good. For those of you who have chronic conditions, you may understand about treatment plans and that they move at Their pace.

Possible, they also may be working this out with timing of other players as well.

I could see Gallo to right or left, all depending on if Larnach can figure out how to hit the off speed stuff, which he sees at as a high rate as basically anyone in MLB.
What they should do is leave Gallo at 1B, put Buxton in CF and DH Kiriloff at least against RH pitching. Taylor's been nice and all but he does not need to play 159 games. Play him against lefties.

Top Bottom