All Things 2023 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Q: What are some things you've reflected on with the Rudy-Karl partnership. What do you want to accentuate more? What didn't work?

Finch: I think we have to be way more definitive with our spacing around Rudy in pick and roll and KAT in the post. That gives you two anchor points. Maybe in general, just a little more structured two-big spacing. Both bigs having a purpose at the same time. Then, I think we got away from KAT being in the trail spot. I think we got to get him back where he's really destructive, which is playing at the top of the floor early in the offense. That's just off the top of my head of the things that pop out, which I feel pretty confident about being able to firm that up.

Q: Ant said he figured out how to play with both of them late in the season. What do you think he learned, especially in the playoffs, that helped him?

Finch: A lot of it had to do with his decisiveness. Particularly in pick and roll. With Rudy, he's being way more decisive. Then I think with KAT, that's another thing I think we got to get back to. They had a great chemistry. A lot of pass and chase, pass and cut. Playing off each other and we were never able to really re-establish that when he came back. I think a lot of it was like a trained learned behavior. You spend so much time and effort learning to play with Rudy, the KAT chemistry, obviously with missing games, that chemistry wasn't the same, and they maybe didn't occupy the floor all that much together. Rudy and Ant would be out a lot when KAT was in. Just how rotations fell where we always played KAT and Ant together previously. I think it's just part of Anthony's overall development. He's experiencing all this stuff and gets better at it.

Q: What are the next steps for Ant?

Finch: How do you manipulate the game with the ball in your hands. How do you read the defense. How do you understand this is what the defense is going to do to me? How do I best use it to our advantage? Maybe slowing down a little bit, processing a little bit earlier in the possession. Then I think he also has to learn how to close games better. He's always going to be able to get to his step-back three, but is that the best shot for the best situation? Probably not. Mixing up how you attack and close in games. Then, all of that, I would say, his foul draw rate. He's got to learn to draw fouls, sell foul contact, and that's going to help him in those high leverage situations to be able to get to the free-throw line.

Q: Ant is playing for Team USA this summer, Rudy is playing for France and last year he came back and didn't practice too much early on. Do you anticipate that being an issue in training camp?

Finch: I trust our guys to come back in the right frame of mind. We do like it because they should be in shape. It's the mental piece that's the hardest for them. They have to start a new season all over again, and they got to be locked in. We can't go into preseason looking for opportunities to rest our guys, because we got chemistry to build that we were never able to build last year. That's a priority for all of us. So by all means, we support their efforts to go play overseas, but understand they're coming back into training camp and we're going to get to work, and we're not going to be resting our way through the preseason because of their summer commitments. We have to build the right chemistry. It's absolutely essential to us this season...

Victor Wembanyama played yesterday in Las Vegas. He was awful. Though oddly enough if you just listened to the ESPN broadcast and didn't watch it, you'd think he was having a great debut.

Don't know how many times they mentioned his "handle" and his passing skills. Didn't mention his godawful shooting much.

Victor played again yesterday. Unlike Friday he shot well and looked good. Guess he's a guy playing in his first, and most likely last, Summer League.

You could almost hear the sigh of relief coming from ESPN.

Victor played again yesterday. Unlike Friday he shot well and looked good. Guess he's a guy playing in his first, and most likely last, Summer League.

You could almost hear the sigh of relief coming from ESPN.
While I have nothing against Wmeby; nor do I really know anything about him….

I can’t help but seeing the hype machine be wrong. Its so much better when the stars have the Kawhi, Hiannis, Joker trajectory vs the “annointed one.” The coverage is so much more about the game, skill work, than waxing poetic about how this “one” is the next “….” And the GOAT…. For 20 years.

While I have nothing against Wmeby; nor do I really know anything about him….

I can’t help but seeing the hype machine be wrong. Its so much better when the stars have the Kawhi, Hiannis, Joker trajectory vs the “annointed one.” The coverage is so much more about the game, skill work, than waxing poetic about how this “one” is the next “….” And the GOAT…. For 20 years.

Good point. Here are the #1 picks from the last 30 years. Two things jumped out at me. How few all- time players there are on the list, though there haven't been many real"busts" either.

The 2nd? There are 7 players on the list who played for the Wolves. Geesus..

2022 | No. 1 pick — Paolo Banchero (Orlando Magic) | Full Draft

2021 | No. 1 pick — Cade Cunningham (Detroit Pistons) | Full Draft

2020 | No. 1 pick — Anthony Edwards (Minnesota Timberwolves) | Full Draft

2010S

2019 | No. 1 pick — Zion Williamson (New Orleans Pelicans) | Full Draft

2018 | No. 1 pick — Deandre Ayton (Phoenix Suns) | Full Draft

2017 | No. 1 pick — Markelle Fultz (Philadelphia 76ers) | Full Draft

2016 | No. 1 pick — Ben Simmons (Philadelphia 76ers) | Full Draft

2015 | No. 1 pick — Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota Timberwolves) | Full Draft

2014 | No. 1 pick — Andrew Wiggins (Cleveland Cavaliers) | Full Drafts

2013 | No. 1 pick — Anthony Bennett (Cleveland Cavaliers) | Full Draft

2012 | No. 1 pick — Anthony Davis (New Orleans Hornets) | Full Draft

2011 | No. 1 pick — Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers) | Full Draft

2010 | No. 1 pick — John Wall (Washington Wizards) | Full Draft

2000S

2009 | No. 1 pick — Blake Griffin (LA Clippers) | Full Draft

2008 | No. 1 pick — Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls) | Full Draft

2007 | No. 1 pick — Greg Oden (Portland Trail Blazers) | Full Draft

2006 | No. 1 pick — Andrea Bargnani (Toronto Raptors) | Full Draft

2005 | No. 1 pick — Andrew Bogut (Milwaukee Bucks) | Full Draft

2004 | No. 1 pick — Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic) | Full Draft

2003 | No. 1 pick — LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers) | Full Draft

2002 | No. 1 pick — Yao Ming (Houston Rockets) | Full Draft

2001 | No. 1 pick — Kwame Brown (Washington Wizards) | Full Draft

2000 | No. 1 pick — Kenyon Martin (New Jersey Nets) | Full Draft

1990S

1999 | No. 1 pick — Elton Brand (Chicago Bulls) | Full Draft

1998 | No. 1 pick — Michael Olowokandi (LA Clippers) | Full Draft

1997 | No. 1 pick — Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) | Full Draft

1996 | No. 1 pick — Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers) | Full Draft

1995 | No. 1 pick — Joe Smith (Golden State Warriors) | Full Draft

1994 | No. 1 pick — Glenn Robinson (Milwaukee Bucks) | Full Draft

1993 | No. 1 pick — Chris Webber (Orlando Magic) | Full Draft

1992 | No. 1 pick — Shaquille O’ Neal (Orlando Magic) | Full Draft

Victor Wembanyama played yesterday in Las Vegas. He was awful. Though oddly enough if you just listened to the ESPN broadcast and didn't watch it, you'd think he was having a great debut.

Don't know how many times they mentioned his "handle" and his passing skills. Didn't mention his godawful shooting much.

I watched most of his play Friday night. I disagree on him looking awful. His ability as a rim protector was obvious and had an impact. He was sloppy with the ball and took some bad shots, but it was easy to see why he's so highly regarded. He is an incredibly fluid athlete for his size and flashed a couple of really nice passes. I'd chalk his struggles up to a tough shooting night and a little bit trying to do too much out there. From my eyes it was easy to see where the hype is coming from.

I watched most of his play Friday night. I disagree on him looking awful. His ability as a rim protector was obvious and had an impact. He was sloppy with the ball and took some bad shots, but it was easy to see why he's so highly regarded. He is an incredibly fluid athlete for his size and flashed a couple of really nice passes. I'd chalk his struggles up to a tough shooting night and a little bit trying to do too much out there. From my eyes it was easy to see where the hype is coming from.

Me too, though he still looked awful for most of the game. Even though the announcers kept saying what you did about his potential. Ad nauseam.

Really not fair to judge him or any other player in their Summer League play. Particularly in their first game.

He did look like he earned his 1st pick status in yesterday's game against Portland. Probably gonna look like that way more than he did against the Hornets.

LAS VEGAS -- Victor Wembanyama's summer league has officially come to an end, sources told ESPN, with the San Antonio Spurs deciding Monday to shut down the No. 1 pick in last month's NBA draft after a stellar second game here in Sin City.

Wembanyama, who bounced back from a dubious debut with a 27-point, 12-rebound performance in a loss to the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday, said after the game that he would sit down with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and decide whether he would continue playing..

In his NBA 2K24 Summer League debut Friday night against the Charlotte Hornets, Wembanyama had a rough outing, shooting 2-for-13 from the field and admitting he felt lost at times on the court. But after a slow start against Portland, Wembanyama came on in a big way, dominating the game in the second quarter and nearly willing the Spurs all the way back to a victory.

LAS VEGAS -- Victor Wembanyama's summer league has officially come to an end, sources told ESPN, with the San Antonio Spurs deciding Monday to shut down the No. 1 pick in last month's NBA draft after a stellar second game here in Sin City.

Wembanyama, who bounced back from a dubious debut with a 27-point, 12-rebound performance in a loss to the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday, said after the game that he would sit down with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and decide whether he would continue playing..

In his NBA 2K24 Summer League debut Friday night against the Charlotte Hornets, Wembanyama had a rough outing, shooting 2-for-13 from the field and admitting he felt lost at times on the court. But after a slow start against Portland, Wembanyama came on in a big way, dominating the game in the second quarter and nearly willing the Spurs all the way back to a victory.

Too bad. I enjoyed watching him.

Really excited about Miller. Feels like they stole a top 15 pick
Miller and Minott look good. Last year at Summer League Minott looked promising but somewhat out of control. This year he looks much calmer. This year Miller looks promising but sort of heater skelter.

Absent injuries, I'm not sure how much PT either of them will get this year.

I agree with Taylor, per Shama:

Glen Taylor Reserved about NBA In-Season Tournament

This fall the NBA In-Season Tournament debuts involving all 30 league teams. The tournament starts November 3 and ends with the semifinals on December 7 and championship game December 9 in Las Vegas. All games, except for the championship, count as part of the regular season results and standings. Teams will continue to have 82-game regular season schedules, with the playoffs to follow as in the past.

There is more detail than that involved, and fans may find it all confusing. “Well, it’s something they want to try,” Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told Sports Headliners. “I am not as enthused about it as the league is. I think it’s going to be kind of complicated.”

Taylor said the league has been talking about the tournament for six years. It’s a potential revenue generator for the NBA, and something that will bring more attention to the league during football season.

Howl Wolves!!

This fall the NBA In-Season Tournament debuts involving all 30 league teams. The tournament starts November 3 and ends with the semifinals on December 7 and championship game December 9 in Las Vegas. All games, except for the championship, count as part of the regular season results and standings. Teams will continue to have 82-game regular season schedules, with the playoffs to follow as in the past.

There is more detail than that involved, and fans may find it all confusing. “Well, it’s something they want to try,” Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told Sports Headliners. “I am not as enthused about it as the league is. I think it’s going to be kind of complicated.”..

Nobody outside of Silver's staff and European Soccer fans are enthused about it.

No, strike the "Soccer fans" part.

There is more detail than that involved, and fans may find it all confusing. “Well, it’s something they want to try,” Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told Sports Headliners. “I am not as enthused about it as the league is. I think it’s going to be kind of complicated.”

Taylor said the league has been talking about the tournament for six years. It’s a potential revenue generator for the NBA, and something that will bring more attention to the league during football season.

Howl Wolves!!
His WNBA team has participated in an in-season tournament the last 3 seasons. The Commissioners Cup has each teams first home game vs a conference team count toward a separate standing. The top team after the 10 games of home & home play for the Commissioners Cup.

His WNBA team has participated in an in-season tournament the last 3 seasons. The Commissioners Cup has each teams first home game vs a conference team count toward a separate standing. The top team after the 10 games of home & home play for the Commissioners Cup.

Then he's got a reason for not liking it?

Today's Wolves game.

i
Minnesota
@
i
Atlanta
3:00 PM
ESPN2

RandBall: If Timberwolves 'run it back' keep an eye on February trade deadline

The Wolves seem inclined to give the Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns experiment another try this season. But looming contract issues and how the team fares early this year will play a big role in how the Wolves proceed long-term.

An eventual Karl-Anthony Towns trade sits somewhere between a possibility and inevitability, but those of us inclined to see it sooner rather than later (hand raised) are slowly coming to believe what is being reported:

The Timberwolves intend to keep last year's core essentially intact, giving the pairing of big men Rudy Gobert and Towns another chance after an awkward early fit was interrupted by a 52-game Towns absence due to a prolonged calf strain.

There is certainly logic within that idea. Exhibiting patience has not been the hallmark of the Wolves franchise, often to its detriment, while Wolves President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly can point to the NBA title just won by his old team, Denver, as a testament to letting a roster grow together.

But there is also a looming contract crunch, with more expensive deals for Towns, Anthony Edwards and presumably Jaden McDaniels kicking in at the start of the 2024-25 season. By next offseason, the Wolves might have no choice but to trade someone — and Towns seems like the most likely candidate.

Waiting another year, though, could cost the Wolves leverage in a deal — and would force them to take back more salary in a potential Towns trade after his new contract kicks in.

There is a potential middle ground, though — one that has gained some traction in the national media lately and which I talked about on Thursday's Daily Delivery podcast with the Star Tribune's Chris Hine. Would the Wolves consider dealing Towns in the middle of the year before February's trade deadline?

Howl Wolves!!

the only stakes that make sense to me is a guaranteed playoff spot if you win it

"If the NBA’s goal with its in-season tournament is to simply further pad its upcoming national television rights deals, that’s fine. A few more nationally televised contests will always increase the package, and the players on the floor for these games will compete. However, stars won’t change their rest patterns to be available for these potential seven games. No trophy or $500,000 bonus will change that. If the league wants a true second tournament, the stakes have to be raised.

That check will help most players on the roster, but it doesn’t give the coaches and stars an incentive to prioritize these games over any others. To win the NBA Cup is actually a disadvantage because it adds an 83rd game to the schedule of the teams in the championship game..

NBA Power Rankings:​

14. Minnesota Timberwolves (16)​

Key additions (including re-signs):

Key subtractions:

Pressing question: Can the Wolves stay on the court to figure out if this can work?

When the Wolves had Anthony Edwards, Karl-Anthony Towns and Gobert together, the results were mixed at best. The team was 13-13 in those games – the offense was horrendous and the defense was spectacular with those three on the court. The Wolves just didn’t have a lot of chances to have the full squad together because of injuries. Did they gather enough evidence to be certain this could work beyond a first-round playoff appearance? Gobert certainly had a positive impact on their defense, but he and Towns both have clear flaws. We need to see at least 50-60 games of those two together to gauge what the ceiling could be for the two-big lineup. Edwards, though, is a legitimate superstar.

Howl Wolves!!

Nobody outside of Silver's staff and European Soccer fans are enthused about it.

No, strike the "Soccer fans" part.
You know, I kind of like it. I'm not sure how it will work, but I like it more than the play-in.

NBA Players have been demanding trades for quote awhile now. Here are some of the most notable.

I don't really mind players demanding trades but demanding singular destinations is absurd. I like Lillard but him demanding to go the Heat is gross. . Portland him to contracts over $450 million during his career.

I hope they don't capitulate. I can't think of a Miami deal that could make any sense for Portland.

Top Bottom