All Things 2023 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

I don't know much about the guys they signed yesterday. It appears the team still lacks top end 3 pt. shooting and the front office hasn't shored up the point guard position.

KAT can't be traded until 7/7. I saw Portland signed Jeremi Grant to a big deal. I'm wondering if a KAT/Scoot Henderson plus Simons and filler deal could be in the works. That gives Portland a Dame/KAT/Grant trio to work with. Just a crazy thought.

Indeed it is.

De'Angelo Russell signs 2 year deal to stay with the Lakers. Guess the Lakers ability to get whoever they want may be a casualty of the salary cap.

Last edited:

De'Angelo Russell sings 2 year deal to stay with the Lakers. Guess the Lakers ability to get whoever they want may be a casualty of the salary cap.

The Lakers and Russell deserve each other.

As far as Timberwolves fans go, the feeling was mutual,

— David Kahn, 61, the former Timberwolves GM who infamously chose point guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn ahead of point guard Steph Curry in the 2009 NBA draft, gets a spread in the recent Sports Illustrated about his quest of Paris Basketball, which produced the recent NBA draft’s most recent No. 1 pick, Victor Wembanyama.

Of his time with the Timberwolves, Kahn told SI, “I don’t know if I’ve ever been more miserable.”..

Kahn’s win-loss record over four years in charge of the Timberwolves: 89-223.

As far as Timberwolves fans go, the feeling was mutual,

— David Kahn, 61, the former Timberwolves GM who infamously chose point guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn ahead of point guard Steph Curry in the 2009 NBA draft, gets a spread in the recent Sports Illustrated about his quest of Paris Basketball, which produced the recent NBA draft’s most recent No. 1 pick, Victor Wembanyama.

Of his time with the Timberwolves, Kahn told SI, “I don’t know if I’ve ever been more miserable.”..

Kahn’s win-loss record over four years in charge of the Timberwolves: 89-223.

Thanks for posting this. He was as bad as it gets. The U is now dealing with the same trash with Ben.

Something is going to have to happen with one of these players. My money is still on Towns being moved.

Then if Edwards makes All-NBA this season his contract will be five years $260 million. If Edwards doesn't make that All NBA Team, the contract will be 5yr $216 million. That's quite a difference.

Then if Edwards makes All-NBA this season his contract will be five years $260 million. If Edwards doesn't make that All NBA Team, the contract will be 5yr $216 million. That's quite a difference.
It's kind of a conflict of interest situation. One of the few weaknesses in Edwards' game is that he's too ball dominant. He's highly motivated to be very stat heavy this season, which may not line up with the interests of the team.

It's kind of a conflict of interest situation. One of the few weaknesses in Edwards' game is that he's too ball dominant. He's highly motivated to be very stat heavy this season, which may not line up with the interests of the team.
Indeed. It will say a lot about his character if he remains a "team first" player this season. The one thing we have in our favor is the coastal media bias when it comes to All NBA voting.

Indeed. It will say a lot about his character if he remains a "team first" player this season. The one thing we have in our favor is the coastal media bias when it comes to All NBA voting.

Just surprised by the amount. Think KAT's contract was also effected by an All-Star game selection and/or 3rd Team All NBA.

Award contracts are fairly common in the NBA now. Not sure if it's hurt anybody performance.

As agreed upon in the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2017, "Generally Recognized League Honors," which include NBA MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, All-NBA and All-Star selections, can be included as incentives or kickers within a player's contract.

Timberwolves might try 3-big lineup with Naz Reid, KAT and Rudy Gobert​

Finch has so much faith in Reid that he, with a deadpan look on his face, suggested that playing Reid, Karl-Anthony Towns and Rudy Gobert together at the same time is a realistic possibility. That's a borderline insane idea considering the league laughed at Minnesota for trying to pair Towns and Gobert with little success.

"Naz has such a versatile game and his skill opens up so much lineup flexibility with our team. Whether he backs up at the four or backs up at the five, heck we might even try to play all three together just because there's so much skill there," said Finch.

Go Gophers!!

Finch has so much faith in Reid that he, with a deadpan look on his face, suggested that playing Reid, Karl-Anthony Towns and Rudy Gobert together at the same time is a realistic possibility. That's a borderline insane idea considering the league laughed at Minnesota for trying to pair Towns and Gobert with little success.

"Naz has such a versatile game and his skill opens up so much lineup flexibility with our team. Whether he backs up at the four or backs up at the five, heck we might even try to play all three together just because there's so much skill there," said Finch.

Go Gophers!!
Oh, for the love of something!

If Ant is an All NBA player, we're probably a top 3 seed. As much as his contract could hurt us in the future, it's our best chance at making a run (Ant being a top 6 G in the NBA).

Go Gophers!!

Considering possible injuries over the course of a season, there are all kinds of combinations on the court. Now consider it was said at the press conference for the Reid signing.

Praising Reid's versatility and skill and needling the media who have whined about the "Twin Towers" line-up?

Sounds like Connelly and Finch were having a little fun with their critics.

Timberwolves' Josh Minott, 'the lawn mower,' looks to turn potential into playing time​

"Can't afford to not be in there," Minott said. "It's a big summer for us, and we can't waste this. We haven't really proven anything, so I feel like people have seen that we're hungry. I don't really see why there's a reason for us to be overseas and relaxing. You've got to get the work."

One of the biggest differences for Minott in where he is now compared to a season ago is on the defensive end. Minott, exuding confidence, said he feels like he can understand any defensive concept the Wolves throw at him and that he is "one of the elites out there right now" when it comes to that end of the floor.

"Overall, it's been a strong suit of mine," Minott said. "I feel like your shot can be off, or there's just a lot of inconsistencies in people's games, but defense is one of those things that can always be there."

If there's a pathway to playing time for Minott next season, it's on defense, especially given his ability to rebound. The Wolves still struggled on the glass even after adding Rudy Gobert last season, but Minott averaged 7.3 boards per game with Iowa and said that number should have been higher.

On offense the Wolves are focusing on having Minott play out of the corner, enabling him to play off other playmakers like Anthony Edwards and Karl-Anthony Towns.

"Right now, he has to be one of those players that masters the corner," Wolves assistant Chris Hines said. "... Those guys who play off the catch in the corners, shoot the shot from the corners, back cut from the corners – mastering the corners for us is going to help us."

Minott said he learned a lot from Taurean Prince, who is now a Laker, on how to play in that spot.

Howl Wolves!!

seeing a lot of posts on Twitter about Miller in the 1st summer league game. saw a video clip where he hit a '3' on one end, then went down to the other end and drew a charge.

hey, it's one game. but he does seem to show a lot of athletic ability.

Victor Wembanyama played yesterday in Las Vegas. He was awful. Though oddly enough if you just listened to the ESPN broadcast and didn't watch it, you'd think he was having a great debut.

Don't know how many times they mentioned his "handle" and his passing skills. Didn't mention his godawful shooting much.

Top Bottom