All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Hasn't been much news with him regarding the Gophers,it would be a bit of a surprise if he ended up here. I would concur "He's gone".
The news was that the Gophers coaches were not putting the full court press on Momcilovic last weekend. Based on this, I imagine that he must have either already told him that we are not one of his final finalists or we are all in on another player at his position.

How are people feeling about this class? I really like how we are doing with Winter, Christie, and being in on Momcilovic and even Pierce before he committed. I’m getting nervous about Chatman and not sure about our PG situation.

Gosh, almost half the Big Ten has offered Christie

Cameron has offers from all over the B1G other than the Fighting Illini. Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, Ohio State, and Iowa have all offered him.
Yeah he’s got a pretty nice offer list for a guy ranked toward the bottom of the top 150

Not really Gopher related, but #1 recruit GG Jackson decommitted from North Carolina, allegedly their first decommit ever, and is expected to commit to South Carolina.

How are people feeling about this class? I really like how we are doing with Winter, Christie, and being in on Momcilovic and even Pierce before he committed. I’m getting nervous about Chatman and not sure about our PG situation.

I don't think Chatman is coming here and I am very concerned about our lack of guards.

I don't think Chatman is coming here and I am very concerned about our lack of guards.
Chatman is a big one for Ben. This is what he was hired for. I think it's 50/50. He has to convince Chatman that there is going to be a squad to make a run with. Nailing down Christie would be a great next move. Perhaps word will get out this summer that our young guys are showing the potential in practice. Chatman isn't going to come to play on a team with 10th place talent. I like what Ben has going right now with the young guys- Payne, Henley, Carrington, Ola Joseph and now Betts. Keep Garcia, Ihnen, Fox and Ben has something to sell.

How big of a factor is NIL with Chatman? I can't see why he would come here if we aren't competitive on that as well. With 6 figures per year being tossed around- that's a huge deal.

Chatman is a big one for Ben. This is what he was hired for. I think it's 50/50. He has to convince Chatman that there is going to be a squad to make a run with. Nailing down Christie would be a great next move. Perhaps word will get out this summer that our young guys are showing the potential in practice. Chatman isn't going to come to play on a team with 10th place talent. I like what Ben has going right now with the young guys- Payne, Henley, Carrington, Ola Joseph and now Betts. Keep Garcia, Ihnen, Fox and Ben has something to sell.

How big of a factor is NIL with Chatman? I can't see why he would come here if we aren't competitive on that as well. With 6 figures per year being tossed around- that's a huge deal.
Betts, Chatman, Christie, and Winters would be a huge haul.

I'm down on our chance with Chatman. The rest will be wearing MAROON & GOLD BABY!

Betts, Chatman, Christie, and Winters would be a huge haul.

I'm down on our chance with Chatman. The rest will be wearing MAROON & GOLD BABY!
TS- how do you feel if we land Christie, Winters and Betts all this summer- wouldn't that seem to up our chance with Chatman?

If I am Ben - that's what I am telling him if having the teammates to make a run are the big issue...."watch and see who we land this summer". The NIL, I would hope we can find a way to deal with that....

TS- how do you feel if we land Christie, Winters and Betts all this summer- wouldn't that seem to up our chance with Chatman?

If I am Ben - that's what I am telling him if having the teammates to make a run are the big issue...."watch and see who we land this summer". The NIL, I would hope we can find a way to deal with that....
I think it helps. He also knows the guys we signed last year are quality, and he sees his place and how he fits right now.

Guys love to play for winners. That's why they all attend the basketball factories, if they're granted a spot on the assembly line. We can't match that.

We also don't have the money. It's not going to be there like it is somewhere else.

At the end of the day, money talks. Blue bloods dance. Guys like Chatman rarely resist that allure.

History has proven over and over that local players who drag out their commitment will not be playing for the U. I wouldn't expect anything different from Chatman.
Depends on what's meant by "dragging it out." Jarvis Johnson and Amir Coffey were both mid September commits. Dawson Garcia took an official visit here in late September, and did eventually end up here, which I think is enough evidence to show that he was at the very least genuinely interested at the time. Theo John, McKinley Wright, and David Roddy also took September officials. Reid Travis's official visit here wasn't until late October. I generally believe anyone who takes an official visit anywhere is at least somewhat seriously considering committing there.

If the argument is that recruits who don't have their heart definitively set on staying home early on in the recruiting process, and are considering Minnesota but are somewhat indecisive, don't end up committing here, there's a little more evidence for that.

If the argument is that if they don't commit to Minnesota early then they were never seriously interested at all, I don't think I agree. I say this because it seems like a lot of times that a talented in-state recruit commits to a different school, there are fans who get pissed at the player for consciously wasting the coaches' time and toying with the emotions of fans, and that they were never going to commit here. If Chatman takes an official visit here, and assuming that he includes us in his top 5 tomorrow, I think he will, then I think we have a serious chance.

Christie seems to a player the staff thinks we have a great chance to get. Chatman? I wonder if maybe the realization is that ship has sailed. No doubt the Gophers will be a token number five on his list today. Might be better if they are not .

Last edited:

Christie seems to a player the staff thinks we have a great chance to get. Chatman? I wonder if maybe the realization is that ship has sailed. No doubt the Gophers will be a token number five on his list today. Might be better if they are not .
I honestly think that the local talent is not just putting the Gophers in the Top 5 to pacify the crowd. They are seriously considering staying home as an option.

It's a little like having a safety school when one puts in their college applications. It's good to have a safe landing place should the recruiting experience with the other schools not be positive in some way.

This may or may not stand the test of the next 6 hours but I think Chatman has the Gophers in his top 5. But, if he doesn't, my guess is it is because we offered very little on the NIL front. To ultimately get him playing here it seems we gotta show some NIL love.

This may or may not stand the test of the next 6 hours but I think Chatman has the Gophers in his top 5. But, if he doesn't, my guess is it is because we offered very little on the NIL front. To ultimately get him playing here it seems we gotta show some NIL love.
If he's taking an official to Minnesota in the fall I think the Gophers will definitely be in his top five unless he's done a complete 180 as far as his recruiting goes. It will be interesting to see who the five will be, if NIL is as important as others have indicated then schools like Texas will be hard to beat.

Money talks. I want the Final Four banners back up this fall. We didn't cheat, Clem was just a little ahead of his time.

at the risk of sounding cynical, I have a prediction.

whenever a recruit has the Gophers in their top 5 or 6, and then chooses another school, the next post on here will say "he didn't choose the Gophers because the other school offered more NIL $."

and look, that might very well have something to do with it. but I am not going to use that as an automatic excuse/reason for the Gophers not landing a recruit.

selling is ultimately about overcoming obstacles. a good salesperson can find ways to overcome obstacles. If NIL is going to be an obstacle, then the Gopher coaches have to find a way to overcome that perceived disadvantage.

otherwise, we might as well give up, because there will always be another school or collective that is willing or able to come up with more NIL.

Maybe not what people want to hear but Iowa State and the second year coach continues to out recruit Minnesota. To me it’s becoming more and more apparent getting kids to come to Minneapolis is a harder sell than Ames.

Top Bottom