All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

That’s, of course, subjective.

Obviously - I was referring to a hypothetical.

Son’s post sums up my feelings regarding the HOF voting; if you agree or disagree, grand. You’re entitled to your opinion as am I; I don’t view differences on subjects as binary, ergo, either/or (right or wrong). I try to view them as both/and, meaning that generally opinions other than mine are just as valid, have points which I can learn from.

FYI - I’ll be 60 in a few years, pissing contests bore me incessantly.

Cheers 🍻
I hear you (and largely agree with your thinking). Not looking for any pissing matches either don't worry.

Sano getting a minor league deal with the Angles.

Gallo gets a major league contract with the Nats.

America is great.
I wonder if Gallo is fully recovered from the foot issue that put him on the Injured List in September.

He was the fastest guy in MLB last year according to statcast too so could give them pinch running options.

I assume this is their back-up plan for CF if Buxton can't cut it. Yes, he's fast. but his hitting numbers are not good.

He did have two decent years in the Rangers' minor league system at AA and AAA - OPS over .800 both years with a little power.

but so far in the majors - slash of .242/.286/.305 w/.519 OPS. WAR of -0.3.

I'd rather have Willi Castro out there.

I assume this is their back-up plan for CF if Buxton can't cut it. Yes, he's fast. but his hitting numbers are not good.

He did have two decent years in the Rangers' minor league system at AA and AAA - OPS over .800 both years with a little power.

but so far in the majors - slash of .242/.286/.305 w/.519 OPS. WAR of -0.3.

I'd rather have Willi Castro out there.
Could be a cheap backup to the backup also. If Buxton gets hurt again then they’ve got someone to spot start behind Castro.

I also think it has just as much to do with his speed. Could be a good pinch runner down the stretch in Sept and possibly playoffs. With the new rules these guys are more important.

He’s also a former 1st round pick that’s just 25. You never know.

So Rocco was the guest for close to an hour on KFAN with Barreiro. as typical for Barreiro, the interview wandered all over the place and delved into areas that I frankly did not find all that interesting or revealing.

you can listen to it in podcast form through the KFAN website if so inclined.

but my take-aways:

--lot of talk about Rocco's managerial style and how he deals with players. Barreiro mentioned that some people accuse Rocco of being "robotic" as a manager (but didn't really follow that up).

--asked about the loss of Sonny Gray - Rocco said he thinks the Twins are exploring trades and he would not be surprised if they make a trade for pitching. Otherwise, said they need Ryan and Ober to improve. said Paddack is a 'really good' pitcher.

-- asked about Buxton. Rocco said the plan is to have Buxton in CF for as many games as he is able to play, but would not give a specific number when asked "how many games do you think he can play in CF?" said Buxton works as hard as any player he's seen to prepare his body. said getting very good progress reports after last surgery, and Buxton is "where he needs to be" at this point in his recovery. did not discuss any other options for CF if or when Buxton is not available.

In short, not a lot of time was spent on more day-to-day issues such as lineups, pitching rotation, use of bullpen, etc. lot of the interview focused on more philosophical things like 'how do you deal with players' and of course, talking about Fish (the band).

Could be a cheap backup to the backup also. If Buxton gets hurt again then they’ve got someone to spot start behind Castro.

I also think it has just as much to do with his speed. Could be a good pinch runner down the stretch in Sept and possibly playoffs. With the new rules these guys are more important.

He’s also a former 1st round pick that’s just 25. You never know.
This guy should be no higher than about the 4th option in CF. Even Giberto Cellistino would be better than this most likely. They really need to bite the bullet and bring Taylor back. He won't cost that much and if Buxton is healthy great, he's a 4th OF'er.

In short, not a lot of time was spent on more day-to-day issues such as lineups, pitching rotation, use of bullpen, etc. lot of the interview focused on more philosophical things like 'how do you deal with players' and of course, talking about Fish (the band).
It's actually Phish, not Fish nor Abe Vigoda.

One of the few musical acts I can honestly say I actively dislike. Right there with Manheim Steamroller.

It's actually Phish, not Fish nor Abe Vigoda.

One of the few musical acts I can honestly say I actively dislike. Right there with Manheim Steamroller.

I think I may have listened to Phish for a total of 5 of 10 minutes. didn't do anything for me. I know they get compared to the Dead, but a lot of those musical comparisons don't hold water. I once read a review that compared Arcade Fire to Springsteen.......over the song "Keep the Car Running."
but comparing people to Springsteen is like when every singer-songwriter was "the New Dylan."

We don’t need no stinking trades, Wallner is rated the 9th best LF by MLB.

Top 10 left fielders

Yordan Alvarez retained the top spot in left field for a second straight year, but there was plenty of movement behind him thanks to position switches and emerging stars. With Juan Soto transitioning to right field and three center fielders from a season ago -- Brandon Nimmo, Bryan Reynolds and Chas McCormick -- sliding over to left field, this set of rankings looks vastly different heading into 2024.

LEFT FIELDERS
  1. Yordan Alvarez, HOU (Last year: 1)
  2. Brandon Nimmo, NYM (No. 4 CF)
  3. Nolan Jones, COL (NR)
  4. Bryan Reynolds, PIT (No. 6 CF)
  5. Chas McCormick, HOU (No. 10 CF)
  6. Randy Arozarena, TB (5)
  7. Lars Nootbaar, STL (NR)
  8. Christian Yelich, MIL (NR)
  9. Matt Wallner, MIN (NR)
  10. Kyle Schwarber, PHI (3)

Falvey Speaks! from Bobby Nightengale at the Strib:

but don't expect the Twins to abruptly change course.

The team likely won't have information on a TV deal until February, and President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey says that's one reason it hasn't been more active in free agency this winter.

"There is a lack of clarity, lack of certainty," Falvey told a crowd at Tuesday's Baseball Old Timers Hot Stove League annual banquet. "I'm very confident everyone will watch Twins baseball this year somewhere in some way, shape or form, but the reality is if [executive chair] Joe Pohlad were standing here, or [team president] Dave St. Peter would say the same thing, we still are in an uncertain reality and we're entering February. That's unique, different and challenging."

..............."As we think about some of the limitations we have around where we're going to put some of the remaining dollars around payroll or otherwise, one of the challenges we're looking at – someone asked earlier about more starting pitching – we're focused on how we think we can do that in different spots," said Falvey, noting Willi Castro can serve as depth in center field.

Falvey emphasized the roster isn't set when spring training begins. Donovan Solano notably signed after camp started last year.

New Top 💯 List released by MLB and features 3 Twins -

#10 - Jenkins ETA to reach the show ‘26. Man I hope he can be our CF of the future.

#18 - Lee ETA this year for the show. An elite first name to match his elite stick. See you soon.

#42 - Rodriguez ETA ‘25 for the show. IIRC, he wasn’t even in the Top 100 at the start of last season, so his rapid skyrocketing rank is encouraging and I’d love for him to be our other corner OF, giving us Wallner, Jenkins and him - wowza🥳

Other Central teams and their counts -

Tiggers & Guards - 4
Sux - 2
Royals Ouch - 1

Twins keep picking up pitchers - with minimal MLB experience.

latest addition is RH Caleb Boushley. 30 yrs old. from Hortonville, WI - played college ball at UW-La Crosse. drafted by Padres in the 33rd round in 2017. signed to a minor-league deal and assigned to the Saints.

has been kicking around in the minors since 2017. mainly has worked as a starter. career minor-league record of 39-31 with a 4.23 ERA. had a good year in AAA in 2022, going 12-2 with a 3.25 ERA.

made his only major-league appearance with the Brewers last year - credited with the win after working 2-1/3 innings allowing 1 run (on a HR) with 5K and 2 BB.

he has pitched for clubs with interesting names, including the Fort Wayne TinCaps, San Antonio Missions and the El Paso Chihuahuas.

Twins keep picking up pitchers - with minimal MLB experience.

latest addition is RH Caleb Boushley. 30 yrs old. from Hortonville, WI - played college ball at UW-La Crosse. drafted by Padres in the 33rd round in 2017. signed to a minor-league deal and assigned to the Saints.

has been kicking around in the minors since 2017. mainly has worked as a starter. career minor-league record of 39-31 with a 4.23 ERA. had a good year in AAA in 2022, going 12-2 with a 3.25 ERA.

made his only major-league appearance with the Brewers last year - credited with the win after working 2-1/3 innings allowing 1 run (on a HR) with 5K and 2 BB.

he has pitched for clubs with interesting names, including the Fort Wayne TinCaps, San Antonio Missions and the El Paso Chihuahuas.
Minor league teams have the best nicknames

Top Bottom