All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Is there any possible way we can pick up someone who can actually play tackle?

Would we consider moving O'Neil to LT?

Play rookie Vederian Lowe (6th round from Illinois)? Can he possibly be worse than Brandl?
If they were going to move O'Neil they would have done it long ago. Zero chance of that. Brandl was good against Buffalo and awful today. Hopefully reality is closer to the Buffalo game. Parsons is a beast. Not everyone he'll block is in his league.

If they were going to move O'Neil they would have done it long ago. Zero chance of that. Brandl was good against Buffalo and awful today. Hopefully reality is closer to the Buffalo game. Parsons is a beast. Not everyone he'll block is in his league.
Then start Lowe at LT and hope for the best.

Brandl is physically unable to play at the NFL level. He's a practice squad guy.

How has Dallas lost 3 games, then??

I guess for that matter, Washington's DL was crazy good too.

Two concussions in two games ... how is he not done for the season? That is the most Vikings ever.

Franchise LT.

Football gods: Loooolllllll11111 suck on this!!

Barreiro would like us to say Our Kevinly Father for the HC. Danny says it 20 times a show hoping it goes national. We should do our part.

They needed to just bite the bullet and Double team Parsons the whole game with Cook or a TE - that was a failure of the staff IMO - Parsons was a known quantity.

Last edited:

cue the "they rushed him back" complaints.

in the post-Tua era of the NFL, a team would have to be total morons to try and rush a guy back from a concussion. I'm sure he was cleared according to the protocols. But two in two weeks doesn't look good.

which gets us to: the depth of this team was always going to be an issue. the starters are solid. but the backups are a big drop-off in talent. look at the secondary with Dantzler and Evans out. Now the same thing on the O-Line.

given the lead in the division, the Vikes' #1 concern has to be getting healthy.

Let me check what PA says… wait he guaranteed Rodgers wouldn’t return to GB.

If Lowe was better he'd be starting.
Over Darrisaw and O'Neil?

Try again.

Brandel was more ready to be the backup and come in on short notice, true. It's no longer short notice.

OK, Thurs is short notice, so maybe impossible. But if Darrisaw is out long term, then it absolutely cannot be Brandel.

I mean two concussions in back to back games. He might never play again this year or ever in his career. Who the heck knows.
Did he suffer "full on" concussions?

All we know for sure is concussion protocol. They don't F around with the head. Back in the day, it might've just been labeled a "hard knock" or a "stinger".

Even if they are concussions, they have grades.

I'm sure he was cleared according to the protocols.
No one is suggesting otherwise.

Magical, hypothetical in an alternate universe: if Darrisaw sits yesterday to rest, then comes back to play Thurs, and takes exactly the same kind of hit as he took against Dallas, does he maybe not need to come out against NE?

That's a question that can't have an answer, but is a valid question nonetheless.

Over Darrisaw and O'Neil?

Try again.

Brandel was more ready to be the backup and come in on short notice, true. It's no longer short notice.

OK, Thurs is short notice, so maybe impossible. But if Darrisaw is out long term, then it absolutely cannot be Brandel.
I mean now. If he was better Brandl he'd be playing ahead of him. Clearly he's not.

If he was better Brandl he'd be playing ahead of him.
Again, no.

It could purely be not understanding the playbook as well as Brandel does, and nothing more.

So I was surprised to learn that we drafted Brandel in the 6th round of the 2020 draft. So that's the same round as Lowe.

Sure, Parsons is a freak. Maybe this NE guy is going to abuse him the same way.

But it's the NFL. You don't have to dominate the best of the best, if you also can't get the QB hurt.

It's too short a turnaround, most likely, for Lowe to be ready. But if Brandel gets Cousins mashed up ..... dude, he has to go.

Only other option is Udoh. Yet another 6th round OT, though as we all know they tried to get him playing Guard and that was a major flop.

Again, no.

It could purely be not understanding the playbook as well as Brandel does, and nothing more.

So I was surprised to learn that we drafted Brandel in the 6th round of the 2020 draft. So that's the same round as Lowe.

But it's the NFL. You don't have to dominate the best of the best, if you also can't get the QB hurt.

It's too short a turnaround, most likely, for Lowe to be ready. But if Brandel gets Cousins mashed up ..... dude, he has to go.
The O Line coach Chris Kuper is only 40. Maybe he can just come out of retirement and do it himself.

Again, no.

But he's got it now?

But he's got it now?
Hockenson?

They literally had Blough translating Viking playbook calls into Lions playbook calls so that Hocker could get them. That's how he could play so much, so fast.

Obviously they can't do that with Lowe. I don't know for any kind of fact that he is better physically suited to protect Kirk than Brandel is. I just know what I saw on Sunday.

By far the most likely scenario is that Lowe won't be ready to play tomorrow. But, when an NFL team is counting on you to play, and the coaches are thus pouring every ounce of time and effort they have into you to get you ready .... I imagine you can make some pretty incredible improvements.

Hockenson?

They literally had Blough translating Viking playbook calls into Lions playbook calls so that Hocker could get them. That's how he could play so much, so fast.

Obviously they can't do that with Lowe. I don't know for any kind of fact that he is better physically suited to protect Kirk than Brandel is. I just know what I saw on Sunday.

By far the most likely scenario is that Lowe won't be ready to play tomorrow. But, when an NFL team is counting on you to play, and the coaches are thus pouring every ounce of time and effort they have into you to get you ready .... I imagine you can make some pretty incredible improvements.
What about Hockenson? He was here a week and learned the playbook.

Your argument is that a guy who has been here for 7 months would not know the playbook, but he would suddenly know the playbook in 7 months + 1 week. That magical week.

What about Hockenson? He was here a week and learned the playbook.

Your argument is that a guy who has been here for 7 months would not know the playbook, but he would suddenly know the playbook in 7 months + 1 week. That magical week.
He didn't learn it in (less than) I week. I explained how they did it.

My argument is that a rookie would not not know the playbook at all, but would know it less well than a guy who was drafted in 2020, went on the practice squad for 2020 and 2021, and has now made it up to the active roster.

Does the rook still not know it well enough that he can't start over that guy? Him not playing last week might seem to indicate that. But now that guy had an awful game, and might give the coaches a reason to reevaluate if the rook can do it.

I don't think anything about that is unreasonable or impossible.

But realistically, with the short week, I would not bet on it happening. But if Brandel has another terrible game, they have to do something. They can't just sit there and flush the season down the toilet.

* this also obviously depends on if Darrisaw is done for the year or not.

Top Bottom