All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

This team has not had good luck with OF injuries the past two seasons.
Meanwhile in St. Paul, a bearded savior awaits.

Ugh. Let's put Arreaz in LF please. Or Beckham.
Beckham started 12 games in the OF for Seattle in 2019. I’m very interested to see how he does. He’s had some success and obviously was once considered a big time talent. Starting DH today.

So the people who complain about Rocco pulling guys too early you get it now?

Yeah it really didn’t matter. Either you play fire with guys going through the line-up a third time or you trot out you 2nd worst bullpen to get 12 outs. The problem is not pulling the pitchers it’s the trash that they are replaced with.

Had the front office done the job this off season and said ok we have suboptimal starting pitches so hopefully they get use through 5 and we are in the game. Then when we are through 5 we will go to this amazing bullpen full of shut down arms. They didn’t do that they assembled a bullpen of scrapheap players and hoped on Duran being amazing. I can’t even imagine where this team would be if not for Duran being amazing 1 year removed from 16 innings in 2021 and not pitching at all in 2020. To say they have been lucky he has been this good in 2022 is an understatement.

It’s not all Rocco’s fault the majority of the blame lies with the front office and their reluctance to spend on and trade from their bullpen.

Also there is a difference between Dylan Bundy and Sonny Grey / Joe Ryan.

This pulling the pitcher narrative really took off in the 2020 when Maeda was killed after 5 innings and Berrios was pulled after 5 innings. When they were your workhorses and cruising through the lineup in which you lost both games.

to be fair -

if the Twins make a trade, I guarantee there will be people on here complaining that "they gave up too much."

because someone is always going to complain about something.

seriously - the "perfect" trade is one where each team gives or receives something of close to equal value. the question is how you evaluate or rank the value of prospects/young players vs established veteran players.

when the Cubs traded a young outfielder named Lou Brock to the Cards for a pitcher named Ernie Broglio, somebody in the Cubs' front office must have thought it was a fair deal. Broglio - a former 20-game winner - went 7-19 with the Cubs before retiring. Lou Brock went to the Hall of Fame.

I can understand either argument for buying (first place team; weak division) or selling (pitching lol) at this point. Personally, I stated about a month ago that the Twins should be sellers and nothing has changed for me. IMO, the Twins could deplete the farm system in trading for Ohtani or Soto and they still wouldn't be true contenders with their bullpen.

I saw a tweet referencing the Braves run after the all-star break last year as to why the Twins should be buying at the deadline which made me laugh. The Braves had a legitimate 1-2 punch for both pitching and hitting that carried them.

Max Friedman went 7-0 in 11 Aug/Sept starts and went at least 6 IP in every start. He had a sub 1.50 era in those starts. Charlie Morton also made 11 starts (4-3 record) and went at least 6 IP in 9 of those starts. He had a sub 2.85 era. Do we have any confidence in any Twins starters to have an Aug/Sept like either Friedman or Morton?

Offensively, Freddie Freeman and Austin Riley were very good during Aug/Sept. They both hit north of .300 in 200+ at-bats with 25 doubles, 19 HRs, 66 RBIs, and 24 walks. The Twins have the potential for this type of offensive output if any of their 2-4 hitters breakout of their July slump.

Buxton: 74 at-bats, .189/.259/.486, and 30 Ks
Correa: 80 at-bats, .175/.264/.350 and 15 Ks
Polanco: 73 at-bats, .205/.372/.479 and 19 Ks

The Twins need to make a choice to either buy or sell as I think doing neither makes no sense. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Twins should sell and try to move most of their tenured players. You're only going to be able to net low tier prospects for guys like Pagan, Bundy, Sanchez, and Smith.

Depending on the market, you may get mid-tier prospect returns given their current performance (Archer, Megill, Cotton) or their experience and performances last year (Duffey, Thielbar).

The potential for high-tier prospects would be for guys like Correa (who we all know is opting out to get a 9 figure deal) and Sonny Gray (Club option for 2023). Correa's return would be less given the short-term rental but teams desperate for hitting and pitching will pay a higher premium as the trade market dwindles. If the Twins wanted to go full rebuild (unlikely), they could entertain offers for Buxton and Joe Ryan.

I'm in the camp to get as many mid-tier to high-tier prospects as possible and then package them for a legitimate and controllable #1/#2 SP depending on the asking price. Then look to stregthen the bullpen through FA. A reunion with Ryan Pressly perhaps if he'd be open to a setup role. A Jax/Moran (if he can get control in order) 7th, Pressly 8th and Duran 9th would be an upgrade. Obviously would need SP capable of going longer than 5 IP and a manager that gives them the chance when they earn it.

Be curious to hear what you guys think.

Whoa?

The Padres have picked up closer Josh Hader from the Brewers.

Brewers will get four players in return - including....Taylor Rogers. Also a major-league pitcher and two prospects.
That's a big surprise. Probably has to due with money. Hader will get somewhere around $15-17M next year.

I can understand either argument for buying (first place team; weak division) or selling (pitching lol) at this point. Personally, I stated about a month ago that the Twins should be sellers and nothing has changed for me. IMO, the Twins could deplete the farm system in trading for Ohtani or Soto and they still wouldn't be true contenders with their bullpen.

I saw a tweet referencing the Braves run after the all-star break last year as to why the Twins should be buying at the deadline which made me laugh. The Braves had a legitimate 1-2 punch for both pitching and hitting that carried them.

Max Friedman went 7-0 in 11 Aug/Sept starts and went at least 6 IP in every start. He had a sub 1.50 era in those starts. Charlie Morton also made 11 starts (4-3 record) and went at least 6 IP in 9 of those starts. He had a sub 2.85 era. Do we have any confidence in any Twins starters to have an Aug/Sept like either Friedman or Morton?

Offensively, Freddie Freeman and Austin Riley were very good during Aug/Sept. They both hit north of .300 in 200+ at-bats with 25 doubles, 19 HRs, 66 RBIs, and 24 walks. The Twins have the potential for this type of offensive output if any of their 2-4 hitters breakout of their July slump.

Buxton: 74 at-bats, .189/.259/.486, and 30 Ks
Correa: 80 at-bats, .175/.264/.350 and 15 Ks
Polanco: 73 at-bats, .205/.372/.479 and 19 Ks

The Twins need to make a choice to either buy or sell as I think doing neither makes no sense. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Twins should sell and try to move most of their tenured players. You're only going to be able to net low tier prospects for guys like Pagan, Bundy, Sanchez, and Smith.

Depending on the market, you may get mid-tier prospect returns given their current performance (Archer, Megill, Cotton) or their experience and performances last year (Duffey, Thielbar).

The potential for high-tier prospects would be for guys like Correa (who we all know is opting out to get a 9 figure deal) and Sonny Gray (Club option for 2023). Correa's return would be less given the short-term rental but teams desperate for hitting and pitching will pay a higher premium as the trade market dwindles. If the Twins wanted to go full rebuild (unlikely), they could entertain offers for Buxton and Joe Ryan.

I'm in the camp to get as many mid-tier to high-tier prospects as possible and then package them for a legitimate and controllable #1/#2 SP depending on the asking price. Then look to stregthen the bullpen through FA. A reunion with Ryan Pressly perhaps if he'd be open to a setup role. A Jax/Moran (if he can get control in order) 7th, Pressly 8th and Duran 9th would be an upgrade. Obviously would need SP capable of going longer than 5 IP and a manager that gives them the chance when they earn it.

Be curious to hear what you guys think.
Sell, we are total pretenders and Correa is opting out.

Trade Correa and sell whatever is deemed neccessary.

Twins have to buy...they're in first place

Do we need to be MORE in first place to be buyers? I don't understand the loser mentality so much. We're so used to "wait for next year," "at least we get a better draft pick," "get prospects and build for the future" that once we actually are in first place we panic?

The twins are the twins...they're not going to be a team who constantly has a chance at the playoffs so when we have that chance let's roll with it.

Twins have to buy...they're in first place

Do we need to be MORE in first place to be buyers? I don't understand the loser mentality so much. We're so used to "wait for next year," "at least we get a better draft pick," "get prospects and build for the future" that once we actually are in first place we panic?

The twins are the twins...they're not going to be a team who constantly has a chance at the playoffs so when we have that chance let's roll with it.
to ever be taken seriously, they have to get some pitching. If this is the pitching the twins are doomed too, forever, because they are the twins, then shut it down.

somehow, someway, they have to obtain pitching. It would help if they could ever develop some.

Sell, and try to pick up some pitching. It's an embarrassment that we can be in first place with this staff. Thank AL Central.

The playoffs are pointless with this staff. If you want to go 0-20 or 0-21, I guess it doesn't matter.

Sell, we are total pretenders and Correa is opting out.

Trade Correa and sell whatever is deemed neccessary.
We don't have anything to sell. Certainly not going to get rid of players that are under contract next season. Sanchez, Duffey or Smith are the only free agents and they aren't going to get a whole lot of return for them. And there's no way they will trade Correa.

They are not going to get anything for Correa. Every team knows he’s going to opt out at year and and you can only sign him long term for around $300 million. Plus no one wants position players everyone wants pitching at the deadline.

Just hold fast or make a couple of minor pitching moves and be done with it. Hopefully it’s enough to win the division and left swept in the playoffs again.

They are not going to get anything for Correa. Every team knows he’s going to opt out at year and and you can only sign him long term for around $300 million. Plus no one wants position players everyone wants pitching at the deadline.

Just hold fast or make a couple of minor pitching moves and be done with it. Hopefully it’s enough to win the division and left swept in the playoffs again.
You'd get something for Correa from a big market. They don't care about prospects.

Montas, Mahle, Rodon and Lopez are all guys that are under team control for at least another year. I don't see any downside to make a move for one of those guys. Even if there are too many holes for this year and they don't make the playoffs, you'd be setting things up for next season. Especially with Maeda hopefully being back. I know you'd have to give up a little bit more but I don't think it would be that much different if they trade for one of them this offseason. At least get a few extra months out of them.

You'd get something for Correa from a big market. They don't care about prospects.
Most of the top teams don't need a SS. There just isn't nearly the demand for a guy like Correa than there is for starting pitchers.

Montas off the board, going to the Yankees along with Trivino. Gave up their #5, 10, 20 & 21 prospects. The top one being #70 overall. The top 3 are all pitchers. That's what could hurt the Twins. Most teams will want at least some pitching prospects and the Twins don't have a lot to offer.

At the very least that gets the Yankees out of running for the other guys.

Last edited:

Montas and Trivino to the Yankees. A trade that people have been begging the Twins to make for months.

Montas off the board, going to the Yankees along with Trivino. Gave up their #5, 10, 20 & 21 prospects. The top one being #70 overall.

At the very least that gets the Yankees out of running for the other guys.
That doesn't seem like a great haul.

That doesn't seem like a great haul.
I'm surprised they didn't have to give up Peraza but it seems like pitching is what Oakland wanted. I updated my post to say that the top 3 rated prospects are all pitchers.

The Twins always claim the price is too high and we almost always find it it wasn't.
The only Twins prospect ranked higher than the highest ranked prospect in the trade is Royce Lewis. And it's clear Oakland wanted pitching. The Twins top pitching prospect has a 10.80 ERA in the minors right now. Teams want pitching prospects. Unfortunately many of the Twins pitching prospects have either been hurt a lot or haven't developed.

Top Bottom