All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

The hitting continues to be very inconsistent. Hope they can get something going here. You gotta take 2 out of 3 against a team like this.

This is the issue about Rocco. Very well rested bullpen with an off day tomorrow. There’s absolutely no reason to not yank Thielbar very quickly there. Mind blowing.

This is the issue about Rocco. Very well rested bullpen with an off day tomorrow. There’s absolutely no reason to not yank Thielbar very quickly there. Mind blowing.
Duran has not pitched since an inning at Seattle on the 14th can he not be used to go two innings in this game as opposed to other bullpen arms. I just don’t like Rocco’s approach that losing by 1 is not a high leverage situation as opposed to just suing any out bum in the pen.

This hitting is just crazy. Every few games they look like world beaters and then the next game they look like a 100 loss team. There is no reason they did not score 6 runs on Friday night given the hard hit balls and they got 2.

Bieber pitched today and we have gray and ryan set to go. Sets up well for us.

This means when polanco comes off the dl a batter will need to be sent down. Gordon out of options so won't be him. They won't send Garlick back. Which leaves Larnach, Miranda, or Celestino will need to moved to St. Paul. Not an easy decision.
If Kiriloff keeps hitting they don't need to keep Miranda up IMO. Though Larnach is not too hot lately either. One of them will go. We need Gordon's defensive versatility and if they waive him, someone will get hurt within a week and they'll regret it.

Here are the Non-Pitchers right now

LH Bats
Arreaz
Gordon
Kepler
Kiriloff
Larnach

RH Bats
Jeffers
Sanchez
Correa
Miranda
Urshela
Buxton
Celestino
Garlick

Looking at that, it will be either Miranda or Celestino taking the Green Line.

Miranda has .327 and over his last 15 games and has been taking consistently good ABs now. They flashed stat the other day that Gil has second highest avg amongst all rookies and of course he is also a plus defender and can play all three OF spots.

Unless Kiriloff hits with a high avg and pop, it’s not even a discussion on whether he goes back to St. Paul or not IMO.

per Shooter:

Luis Arraez clearly is the Twins’ leading representative for the All-Star Game in Los Angeles on July 19. It’s curious whether teammates Byron Buxton (19 home runs) and Carlos Correa (.297) will receive consideration.

Among Twins pitchers, they probably have not thrown enough individual innings to warrant serious consideration.

Win Twins!!

Miranda has .327 and over his last 15 games and has been taking consistently good ABs now. They flashed stat the other day that Gil has second highest avg amongst all rookies and of course he is also a plus defender and can play all three OF spots.

Unless Kiriloff hits with a high avg and pop, it’s not even a discussion on whether he goes back to St. Paul or not IMO.
Celistino is the obvious choice for me. He's struggled lately and he's actually had below average numbers against lefties so him being a right handed batter doesn't matter much right now. Small sample size but he's hitting .233 with .619 OPS against lefties. Kepler and Larnach have both been better against lefties.

But really it doesn't matter that much because whoever gets sent down will more than likely be back up soon as someone always gets hurt.

They need him to play center field if they are gonna DH Buxton so much. If Buxton were to play 2/3rds of the games and play center field only I could live without a true backup center field on the team. If they are gonna play him at DH 1/3 of the time he plays then I can’t live with Kepler in center. Not sure i want to see Nick Gordon in center either. I don’t love just keeping Nick Gordon on the team cause he’s out of options. He’s not a good defensive player and he’s not a good offensive player. The only reason he’s up is he plays multiple positions (not well) and is out of options.

They need him to play center field if they are gonna DH Buxton so much. If Buxton were to play 2/3rds of the games and play center field only I could live without a true backup center field on the team. If they are gonna play him at DH 1/3 of the time he plays then I can’t live with Kepler in center. Not sure i want to see Nick Gordon in center either. I don’t love just keeping Nick Gordon on the team cause he’s out of options. He’s not a good defensive player and he’s not a good offensive player. The only reason he’s up is he plays multiple positions (not well) and is out of options.
I think either way it will probably be short lived as someone else will get hurt. Celestino has really struggled so it would be fine if they used Gordon and Kepler in CF for a week or two.

Celistino is the obvious choice for me. He's struggled lately and he's actually had below average numbers against lefties so him being a right handed batter doesn't matter much right now. Small sample size but he's hitting .233 with .619 OPS against lefties. Kepler and Larnach have both been better against lefties.

But really it doesn't matter that much because whoever gets sent down will more than likely be back up soon as someone always gets hurt.

What exactly has Kiriloff done to stay up based on his MLB performance in 2022 thus far over Gil? Please be specific - I’m here to learn.

Tearing up Triple A gets u to The Show it doesn’t keep you there - everyone’s so enamored over his time at St.Paul that it makes me chuckle as Miranda did it for a full season last year at 2 levels.

AK also limits us defensively as he is not the same level of an OFer as Gil.

What exactly has Kiriloff done to stay up based on his MLB performance in 2022 thus far over Gil? Please be specific - I’m here to learn.

Tearing up Triple A gets u to The Show it doesn’t keep you there - everyone’s so enamored over his time at St.Paul that it makes me chuckle as Miranda did it for a full season last year at 2 levels.

He was leading all of minor league baseball in OPS. It wasn't just a couple good games. He also hit at the ML level last year before his wrist issue and has been a top 5 prospect for a reason. If hes' healthy he should stay. I'd rather send Larnach back that AK at this moment as he's been cold for several weeks now.

He was leading all of minor league baseball in OPS. It wasn't just a couple good games. He also hit at the ML level last year before his wrist issue and has been a top 5 prospect for a reason. If hes' healthy he should stay. I'd rather send Larnach back that AK at this moment as he's been cold for several weeks now.

Agree to disagree - I posited multiple times that if he doesn’t hit/doesn’t earn it, then he merits a demotion. He’s also 24 now and signed out of HS - he’s reached the put up or shut up portion of his career - no one cares anymore at a certain point about your potential.

I also don’t understand your “logic” because Larnach was hitting 0ver .300 before he went to the IL - so he’s also proven he can hit MLB pitching - if you want to bring up past performances into your equation. Also, no where did U say it was only a couple of good games; I simply made a comp that Miranda did it for a year - feel free to quote me anytime, as long as it’s accurate bro.

Also slumps happen in baseball - it’s part of it as anyone whose played it competitively (above middle school level) can attest to. You seemingly have a penchant for wanting to bench any slumping player who hits a bad patch. You can’t be worrying you’ll get benched and still be able to hit - hitting involves lots of concentration and confidence- Rocko gets this because he played and to his credit let’s guys with through their slumps.

Lastly, Stevie Wonder/Ray Charles can see that AK is a hack as an outfielder- Larnach isn’t. One of the reasons for our lofty standings is our team D.

Last edited:

Agree to disagree - I posited multiple times that if he doesn’t hit/doesn’t earn it, then he merits a demotion. He’s also 24 now and signed out of HS - he’s reached the put up or shut up portion of his career - no one cares anymore at a certain point about your potential.

I also don’t understand your “logic” because Larnach was hitting 0ver .300 before he went to the IL - so he’s also proven he can hit MLB pitching - if you want to bring up past performances into your equation. Also, no where did U say it was only a couple of good games; I simply made a comp that Miranda did it for a year - feel free to quote me anytime, as long as it’s accurate bro.

Also slumps happen in baseball - it’s part of it as anyone whose played it competitively (above middle school level) can attest to. You seemingly have a penchant for wanting to bench any slumping player who hits a bad patch. You can’t be worrying you’ll get benched and still be able to hit - hitting involves lots of concentration and confidence- Rocko gets this because he played and to his credit let’s guys with through their slumps.

Lastly, Stevie Wonder/Ray Charles can see that AK is a hack as an outfielder- Larnach isn’t. One of the reasons for our lofty standings is our team D.
I love Larnach long-term. But they have to play musical chairs a bit here, which is a good thing. He's hitting .204 over his last 30 games. It's not a little slump. Let him go down and rake at AAA for a couple weeks until the next injury if that's the best alternative. I'd be fine if it was Miranda or Celistino instead, but I don't think it will be.

I love Larnach long-term. But they have to play musical chairs a bit here, which is a good thing. He's hitting .204 over his last 30 games. It's not a little slump. Let him go down and rake at AAA for a couple weeks until the next injury if that's the best alternative. I'd be fine if it was Miranda or Celistino instead, but I don't think it will be.

Fair enough - I don’t agree with sending Larnach down, but see you point.

I do think that one of the three (Gil, Miranda or AK) will be traded at the deadline - they’re all still ll less than 25 and have their selling points IMO - and per an article on MLB Frankie is gonna be expensive and maybe even Castillo will be.

The author thinks the As Held off trading Him in the off-season to maximize his value due to the number of aces in the last FA market - they feel he is far and away the best starter available - he seems worth more to me than what Berrios fetched.

to the best of my knowledge, most of the scouts/evaluators tend to agree that Kirilloff has the highest ceiling as a hitter of this group of young players, even above Lewis.

defensively, Kirilloff is a 1B. he can play OF in a pinch, but he is the long-term 1B. But, given the current roster, that does create issues.

if Kirilloff is at 1B, then you have Arraez or Polanco at 2B or DH.

I honestly see Miranda as the odd man out. If he can put up decent numbers, I could see him being part of a trade package for a SP.

and I see Gordon and Celestino fighting for the same roster spot. Celestino is a better defensive CF, so in a pinch, I keep him over Gordon. You can always find a utility IF.

Well, Kepler has stayed and started for years. So there is that.

I think either way it will probably be short lived as someone else will get hurt. Celestino has really struggled so it would be fine if they used Gordon and Kepler in CF for a week or two.
Yes someone will always get hurt, and that is not a shit at Rocco. The thing with too many players is injuries will always solve that issue

to the best of my knowledge, most of the scouts/evaluators tend to agree that Kirilloff has the highest ceiling as a hitter of this group of young players, even above Lewis.

defensively, Kirilloff is a 1B. he can play OF in a pinch, but he is the long-term 1B. But, given the current roster, that does create issues.

if Kirilloff is at 1B, then you have Arraez or Polanco at 2B or DH.

I honestly see Miranda as the odd man out. If he can put up decent numbers, I could see him being part of a trade package for a SP.

and I see Gordon and Celestino fighting for the same roster spot. Celestino is a better defensive CF, so in a pinch, I keep him over Gordon. You can always find a utility IF.

I think they'd trade Urshela before Miranda.

FWIW in the preseason Miranda was ranked as the 94 best prospect on the pressing rankings of the Top 100 MLB wide (one of 4 - Ryan, Royce and Martin) - guys come from out of nowhere to become competent/hood MLB players all the time, just as high ranked guys don’t make it all the time see numerous high profile Vikes and Wolves as players highly selected whin had a log of “potential vs. performance” professionally speaking.

If you look through the Twins Top 30 prospect list list on the MLB App, you’ll only see a handful of 25 years old on it and not any 26 year olds. Cause at a certain point you’re either a player or not and 67 strikeouts in his last 254 career ABs (regardless of his wrist issue) causes me to be vey skeptical that AK simply has way 2 many holes in his swing to be effective - his swing is to long IMO and needs to be more compact and quicker to the ball like Miranda; his exit velocity also underwhelms, another indicator of a less than crisp swing. Regardless, he should get plenty of opportunities until Polanco to demonstrate it one way or the other- Time will tell if we’re dealing with potential or the coveted and what is being paid for, performance.

Last edited:

Fair enough - I don’t agree with sending Larnach down, but see you point.

I do think that one of the three (Gil, Miranda or AK) will be traded at the deadline - they’re all still ll less than 25 and have their selling points IMO - and per an article on MLB Frankie is gonna be expensive and maybe even Castillo will be.

The author thinks the As Held off trading Him in the off-season to maximize his value due to the number of aces in the last FA market - they feel he is far and away the best starter available - he seems worth more to me than what Berrios fetched.
I would trade Miranda from that group. He's not a good defender and doesn't really have a position. He's marginally tolerable at 3B, but we have Urshella and Arreaz to play there through at least 2023.

I would trade Miranda from that group. He's not a good defender and doesn't really have a position. He's marginally tolerable at 3B, but we have Urshella and Arreaz to play there through at least 2023.

Nice to finally have some viable options/depth to make a trade and not worrying about it crippling 9our prospect pool

He just got recalled. He struggled early on, then hit very well at St. Paul. It seems like you’re saying because he really struggled early in the season, he shouldn’t get another chance. He did everything he can at Triple A, it’s time for him to get another chance.

He just got recalled. He struggled early on, then hit very well at St. Paul. It seems like you’re saying because he really struggled early in the season, he shouldn’t get another chance. He did everything he can at Triple A, it’s time for him to get another chance.

No, I said what has accomplished specifically this time that he should stay up over Celestine - I don’t know how that can be stated any clearer.
My retort was to your statement that “Celestine was the obvious choice to be sent down,” - potential isn’t accomplishing anything and if you want to keep him over the rookie with the second best avg than that’s the case you were making.
I asked an honest question for you to specify what Kiriloff has done to EARN staying over Celestine.

No, I said what has accomplished specifically this time that he should stay up over Celestine - I don’t know how that can be stated any clearer.
My retort was to your statement that “Celestine was the obvious choice to be sent down,” - potential isn’t accomplishing anything and if you want to keep him over the rookie with the second best avg than that’s the case you were making.
I asked an honest question for you to specify what Kiriloff has done to EARN staying over Celestine.
He’s been playing well where Celestino isn’t. He can play 1B and OF. It isn’t really about who’s earned it though, it’s more about what makes most sense for the team. Kirilloff makes more sense right now.

Top Bottom