All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

He's literally worth the price of admission and all our Top 3 can hang with any clubs!

Man I wanna put some whop azz on those Clevelanders and let them know iit our division - figure we need to win 5/6 out of the 8 to put our stamp on it.

He's literally worth the price of admission and all our Top 3 can hang with any clubs!

Man I wanna put some whop azz on those Clevelanders and let them know iit our division - figure we need to win 5/6 out of the 8 to put our stamp on it.
I'm am starting to consider that it is at least possible the AL Central could get a WC birth. Not going to dive too much into it, but if the Gaurds have a lot of games vs KC & Detroit, there has to be at least a chance.

I don't think the schedule changes in 2023 (less division games, more interleague) will help the Twins cause.

I'm am starting to consider that it is at least possible the AL Central could get a WC birth. Not going to dive too much into it, but if the Gaurds have a lot of games vs KC & Detroit, there has to be at least a chance.

I don't think the schedule changes in 2023 (less division games, more interleague) will help the Twins cause.
Looking forward to tomorrow night's battle of Southpaws - Smeltzer vs. MadBum - with a reasonable start time and lots of strikes, I might be able to make it to the 7th inning stretch.

Except for roiders and Mauer, they're all HOFers.
I think it's just "roider"/singular not plural. Happens now to be involved with a local pro-sports franchise.

I also think Mauer is going to get to Cooperstown, as will the others not yet eligible. Ichiro and Pujols will be easy on their 1st ballot, Joe it will take a few years probably or he could be aided if there is a weak class when his time comes.

Last edited:

I think it's just "roider"/singular not plural. Happens now be involved with a local pro-sports franchise.

I also think Mauer is going to get to Cooperstown, as will the others not yet eligible. Ichiro and Pujols will be easy on their 1st ballot, Joe it will take a few years probably or he could be aided if there is a weak class when his time comes.
Joe will get in.

Good it’s about time.
Can someone more nuanced in the weeds of baseball explain to me why we should care or why there should be a limit on the number of pitchers? If a team wants to carry 14 pitchers, that gives them 2 bench guys, 1 of which pretty much has to be another catcher. So that leaves you with basically 1 spot for a super utility. That's not a ton of flexibility, and would seem to put them at a disadvantage when dealing with day-to-day injuries, matchups, and late game situations. So if a team wants to put themselves in that situation, why would MLB need to arbitrate that?

Can someone more nuanced in the weeds of baseball explain to me why we should care or why there should be a limit on the number of pitchers? If a team wants to carry 14 pitchers, that gives them 2 bench guys, 1 of which pretty much has to be another catcher. So that leaves you with basically 1 spot for a super utility. That's not a ton of flexibility, and would seem to put them at a disadvantage when dealing with day-to-day injuries, matchups, and late game situations. So if a team wants to put themselves in that situation, why would MLB need to arbitrate that?
I can't really help with the nuance, but rosters are actually 26 guys now so 14 pitchers allows for a 3 player bench of position players.

The extra roster spot was negotiated with the players in this CBA, but so was the limit of 13 pitchers (but waived for the first few months due to the late starting Spring Training).

OK - I'll take a stab at this.

MLB is trying to address the balance of pitching vs hitting.
in recent years, starters are throwing fewer innings, so they are going max effort all the time - i.e. harder to hit. then, teams bring in relief pitchers who throw 1 inning at a time - again, max effort, harder to hit. (look at the difference in Griffin Jax as a starter vs a 1-inning reliever)

hitters rarely get to see a starter three times in a game. instead, in almost every at bat, they are facing a fresh pitcher who is throwing harder with better breaking stuff, because they are going max effort on every pitch. (which is also leading to a higher rate of pitcher injuries - but that's another topic)

so, by imposing a 13-pitcher limit, teams will - theoretically - have to extend their starters for longer outings, or have relief pitchers throw multiple innings. either way, hitters will (hopefully) have more opportunities to bat against pitchers who are not going max effort on every pitch, or are getting tired at the end of their outing and becoming more hittable.

we'll see what type of impact it has.

OK - I'll take a stab at this.

MLB is trying to address the balance of pitching vs hitting.
in recent years, starters are throwing fewer innings, so they are going max effort all the time - i.e. harder to hit. then, teams bring in relief pitchers who throw 1 inning at a time - again, max effort, harder to hit. (look at the difference in Griffin Jax as a starter vs a 1-inning reliever)

hitters rarely get to see a starter three times in a game. instead, in almost every at bat, they are facing a fresh pitcher who is throwing harder with better breaking stuff, because they are going max effort on every pitch. (which is also leading to a higher rate of pitcher injuries - but that's another topic)

so, by imposing a 13-pitcher limit, teams will - theoretically - have to extend their starters for longer outings, or have relief pitchers throw multiple innings. either way, hitters will (hopefully) have more opportunities to bat against pitchers who are not going max effort on every pitch, or are getting tired at the end of their outing and becoming more hittable.

we'll see what type of impact it has.

That seems completely logical.

The ground rule double rule is so dumb. Sanchez is on third base before the ball even bounces over the wall and he has to stay there. Of course with two outs he doesn’t score. In the day and time we’re everything is reviewed how has this not been addressed with some sort of common sense. Take a big picture and see where everyone is when the ball crosses the wall and adjust from there. It would take 20 seconds to figure out.

The ground rule double rule is so dumb. Sanchez is on third base before the ball even bounces over the wall and he has to stay there. Of course with two outs he doesn’t score. In the day and time we’re everything is reviewed how has this not been addressed with some sort of common sense. Take a big picture and see where everyone is when the ball crosses the wall and adjust from there. It would take 20 seconds to figure out.
Now with review, that seems like a reasonable rule change. Maybe you make the offensive team challenge it, instead of giving it “for free”, but if you’ve rounded third before the ball bounces over, you get home.

Now with review, that seems like a reasonable rule change. Maybe you make the offensive team challenge it, instead of giving it “for free”, but if you’ve rounded third before the ball bounces over, you get home.
It should not take a review. You have enough umps that two of their jobs are to watch the runners and one guy watches the ball. The second the ball goes over the fence the guy watching the ball hits a button and the rest of the umpires are shocked letting them know stop the play and award the person the next base.

The new rule should be 2 bases from the last base touched when the ball goes over the fence.

The new rule should be 2 bases from the last base touched when the ball goes over the fence.
Yep, that would be the best change. Even just the simple change of if the ball bounces over the OF wall with 2 outs, everyone on base scores. That's where it hurts the hitting team the most. With 2 outs, it's almost certain that the runner on 1st scores there.

Twins starting Dylan Bundy tonight for no reason. Archer could go tonight and Ryan tomorrow. Off day Monday.

That pitch wasnt close. Would've had first and second with no outs. Have no idea why we don't use roboumps.

Twins starting Dylan Bundy tonight for no reason. Archer could go tonight and Ryan tomorrow. Off day Monday.
There is a reason, though you might not like it (nor do I necessarily), but it's extra rest.

This means when polanco comes off the dl a batter will need to be sent down. Gordon out of options so won't be him. They won't send Garlick back. Which leaves Larnach, Miranda, or Celestino will need to moved to St. Paul. Not an easy decision.

This means when polanco comes off the dl a batter will need to be sent down. Gordon out of options so won't be him. They won't send Garlick back. Which leaves Larnach, Miranda, or Celestino will need to moved to St. Paul. Not an easy decision.
Here are the Non-Pitchers right now

LH Bats
Arreaz
Gordon
Kepler
Kiriloff
Larnach

RH Bats
Jeffers
Sanchez
Correa
Miranda
Urshela
Buxton
Celestino
Garlick

Looking at that, it will be either Miranda or Celestino taking the Green Line.

Bundy really emphasized the curve ball and off-speed stuff.

for one game, it looked great. is it sustainable? that remains to be seen.

but, if he can get guys out with a 75-mph breaking ball, go for it. certainly worked better than 89-mph fast balls.

Bundy really emphasized the curve ball and off-speed stuff.

for one game, it looked great. is it sustainable? that remains to be seen.

but, if he can get guys out with a 75-mph breaking ball, go for it. certainly worked better than 89-mph fast balls.
Junk pitchers with command have had good careers.

Top Bottom