All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

there is something weird going on when Pat Reusse is more positive about the Twins than a lot of the other local media and fans.

maybe I've got a bad point of view based on who I read and listen to - but the general tone on Twitter most games is that everything the Twins do is wrong. People like Mackey, Judd and Barreiro almost seem offended that the Twins are winning.

Hey, the front office has made some decisions on pitching that I don't like/understand.

but, the team is in 1st place, and they've been playing without (arguably) their top 3 starting pitchers. (Gray, Ryan, Ober).

Don't forget the unofficial Minnesota State Motto - "Things Could be worse."
Reusse also said they were going 0-9 vs Toronto/NYY/Tampa and if he was in Vegas he'd get rich betting $100 on the first game and letting it ride for all 9.

Mackey has become unreasonably bitter at them and was bragging about how little they talked about the Twins on their Minnesota-based podcast which is bizarre. Yet they broke down every meaningless Wolves regular season game like it was the NBA Finals.

Reusse also said they were going 0-9 vs Toronto/NYY/Tampa and if he was in Vegas he'd get rich betting $100 on the first game and letting it ride for all 9.

Mackey has become unreasonably bitter at them and was bragging about how little they talked about the Twins on their Minnesota-based podcast which is bizarre. Yet they broke down every meaningless Wolves regular season game like it was the NBA Finals.
Mackey sucks.

He wishes he was Cove on the KFAN morning show or anywhere on KFAN really.

Keep riding our horses baby

One more Monster Week and he’s an All Star lock IMO
Selfishly, I would rather see Buxton rest for the entirety of the All Star Break. Convince Dusty Baker that July 19 is a scheduled Rest Day.

The Twins call up some IF'er I've never heard of and leave Kiriloff at AAA. makes no sense. Unless it's a one-day thing and they're going back tomorrow for Ryan or Gray.

Selfishly, I would rather see Buxton rest for the entirety of the All Star Break. Convince Dusty Baker that July 19 is a scheduled Rest Day.
Can you hack Rocco's spreadsheet for us? The password is "gethimoffhisfeet".

The Twins call up some IF'er I've never heard of and leave Kiriloff at AAA. makes no sense. Unless it's a one-day thing and they're going back tomorrow for Ryan or Gray.
I would like to know why it’s not Palacios again. I don’t think he’s hurt and he’s already on the 40-man. I thought he did fine at the plate and was a good defensive short stop. Way better then nick gordon at SS.

Holy smokes! Negative much? If you can't see the positives and enjoy them, you are going to find that life is miserable. Championships are elusive so they should not be the only measure of success.

For every team you list, I could easily come up with 5 positive things to say. You actually bring up a number of them here but then quickly turn to a negative to restore balance. Sometimes one has to reflect on the positives of the journey versus being disappointed that the destination isn't what they had hoped it would be.
I guess my point was people always say that this sports writer is to negative. I was pointing out that yes they may be negative, but that is because most of the sports items are negative. As fun as the wild regular season was it losses something when you are beat in the 1st round again. Just like the Minneapolis miracle losses something when you get smoked by Philly the week after.

Great stab by Urshela. Run saver.

I would like to know why it’s not Palacios again. I don’t think he’s hurt and he’s already on the 40-man. I thought he did fine at the plate and was a good defensive short stop. Way better then nick gordon at SS.
Palacios is not eligible for a call up. MLB Rule, position players optioned down must stay there for 10 days, unless they are being recalled as a replacement for someone going on the Injured or COVID Lists.

Supposedly, Polenco's injury (back soreness) is not going to sideline him for long.

Palacios is not eligible for a call up. MLB Rule, position players optioned down must stay there for 10 days, unless they are being recalled as a replacement for someone going on the Injured or COVID Lists.

Supposedly, Polenco's injury (back soreness) is not going to sideline him for long.
Fair enough that makes sense then. Much appreciated for the insight.

Buck is now back to an HR every 10 ABs after his onslaught - putting him at the same rate as Judge who has ~60 more ABs than BB

Last edited:

Per Shama:

Reports this spring left fans with the impression the Twins want to limit star center fielder Byron Buxton to 100 games this year. Derek Falvey told Sports Headliners yesterday there is no “stop light” at 100.

Buxton, a do-it-all talent capable of becoming the American League’s best player, is invaluable to the Twins, but an unusual number of injuries have prevented him from playing 100 games each season dating back to 2018. The club wants to proceed with caution, while maximizing Buxton’s availability to help produce a Central Division title and playoff run.

“We’re not shooting just for 100 games,” said Falvey, the Twins’ baseball operations boss. “I think we’re trying to eclipse what he has yet to eclipse over the last five years. Playing him the way we had in prior years didn’t get us there. We would like to try a more sophisticated way to keep him on the field as much as possible….”

Falvey also said the 28-year-old Buxton is on pace to play in 115 to 120 games. He acknowledged the player who “can put us on his back” and carry the team has low-level inflammation in his right knee. The knee became news in April and Buxton was briefly sidelined. He was also diagnosed with a low-level hip strain this spring.

Win Twins!!

on Kirilloff - Hey, I don't like it, but I can also understand that it becomes a matter of how he fits into the lineup and batting order.

Kirilloff can play some corner OF, but his best defensive position is 1B. right now, the Twins have Arraez - the leading hitter in MLB - as their primary 1B.

move Kirilloff to the OF, and you are benching either Larnach or Kepler. Both of those players have been solid - and they're all left-handed hitters, so you gain no positional advantage.

I guess you could bring him up to be the DH against RHP, but I suspect the Twins would prefer for him to be an every-day player.

and Kirilloff is a left-handed hitter. the Twins are a fairly left-handed heavy team already. That is one reason why Miranda has stuck around - a RH bat (especially with Garlick out).

It's not as simple as "just bring him up." because every move has a ripple effect on the roster and batting order.

on Kirilloff - Hey, I don't like it, but I can also understand that it becomes a matter of how he fits into the lineup and batting order.

Kirilloff can play some corner OF, but his best defensive position is 1B. right now, the Twins have Arraez - the leading hitter in MLB - as their primary 1B.

move Kirilloff to the OF, and you are benching either Larnach or Kepler. Both of those players have been solid - and they're all left-handed hitters, so you gain no positional advantage.

I guess you could bring him up to be the DH against RHP, but I suspect the Twins would prefer for him to be an every-day player.

and Kirilloff is a left-handed hitter. the Twins are a fairly left-handed heavy team already. That is one reason why Miranda has stuck around - a RH bat (especially with Garlick out).

It's not as simple as "just bring him up." because every move has a ripple effect on the roster and batting order.
That’s why I would love to see Kepler be moved in a trade for a pitcher as they have no shortage of left handed outfielders.

That’s why I would love to see Kepler be moved in a trade for a pitcher as they have no shortage of left handed outfielders.

If I’m trading I’ll take AK in the trade as he’s younger and cheaper - I don’t think Kepler moves the needle for a team and a starter whose going to have an appreciable impact for us, when they’re in rebuild mode

I’m fine with him being in the minors for now- good organizations have talent in the minors that have to wait their turn until a spot becomes available or their traded - see Jeremy Peña, as a prime example of the former , whose now the Astros SS and a contender for ROY.

Miranda us also the 84th top prospect, per the MLB -

AK isn’t listed FWIW. We also have several OFs listed in our Top 30 prospect list per the MLB.

One of the reasons we’re so good this year is our D. Kep is an excellent RF and Larnach is considered above average and was amongst league leaders in assists when I last checked 2-3 weeks ago. AK isn’t a very good OFer IMO with a weak arm and looks much more like a 1st baseman long term

See some data below in the link (specifically out above average)-

Last edited:

In a week the Twins (and every other team) can no longer carry 14 pitchers. So they’ll have to add a position player. I still think it’s manageable without a full time DH. In the end I think Miranda or Celestino will be the odd man out.

Jeffers has options and at this point I’d send him down for awhile. He’s so bad across the board. Can’t hit and opponents are running on him like it’s a junior high game.

I heard that the MLB owners are having a meeting and may vote to allow 14 pitchers for the entire season.

apparently the managers are lobbying hard for the extra pitcher.

on Kirilloff, I think he may have played enough major league games so that he is no longer considered a "prospect." Yeah - played in 59 games last year with over 200 AB, so he is no longer a prospect.

They’ve already extended the extra pitcher once or twice - just make it for the entire season due to the lockout and be done with it already.

Yes I was wrong AK has enough service time and is no longer a prospect. Not even I get them all right 🥸

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jeffers has options and at this point I’d send him down for awhile. He’s so bad across the board. Can’t hit and opponents are running on him like it’s a junior high game.

I thought he might take the leap this year and become a Timmy Laudner type, but he’s starting to look more and more like a career backup guy

Top Bottom