All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

He hasn’t pitched in mealy 2 years prior to this season and still gets plenty of swing and misses; control is a different issue entirely and this was his first bad outing- people who don’t have first hand baseball experience tend to over react to a bad game/outing as they don’t understand the timing of the game and building back your arm or swing and confidence which comes from experience within the game itself.

His ERA coming in to tonight was 3.26 and opponents were battling .216.

You strike me as a poster who is mostly negative and projects that in your interactions on here, as I cannot recall a positive post from you ever, whilst I am the converse. I also don't buy that you interested in so called “friendly conversations” bro.

He hasn’t pitched in mealy 2 years prior to this season and still gets plenty of swing and misses; control is a different issue entirely and this was his first bad outing- people who don’t have first hand baseball experience tend to over react to a bad game/outing as they don’t understand the timing of the game and building back your arm or swing and confidence which comes from experience within the game itself.

His ERA coming in to tonight was 3.26 and opponents were battling .216.

You strike me as a poster who is mostly negative and projects that in your interactions on here, as I cannot recall a positive post from you ever, whilst I am the converse. I also don't buy that you interested in so called “friendly conversations” bro.
Agreed. While last night was bad, he has stuff. Unlike Bundy's 89 MPH slop. Archer needs to stop being a human rain delay though. Not only was he not throwing strikes he was taking a ridiculous amount of time between pitches. Let's go.

didn't realize the rule had changed.

in the old days, if a game was stopped by rain before they completed 5 innings, they would have to replay the entire game at a future date. the partial game - and all of its statistics - were wiped out.
Killebrew would have hit 51 HR one year, but lost 2 HR when games were rained out before becoming official.

But Weds night, the Twins-Stros game was halted by weather, and they resumed the game on Thursday at the point where it was suspended. As I type this, the Twins are getting pounded 11-3 in the 8th. Stashak had a brutal outing - 6 H in 2.2IP.

They'll take a 30-min break and then play the regularly-scheduled game later today.

in the old days, if a game was stopped by rain before they completed 5 innings, they would have to replay the entire game at a future date. the partial game - and all of its statistics - were wiped out.
Killebrew would have hit 51 HR one year, but lost 2 HR when games were rained out before becoming official.

But Weds night, the Twins-Stros game was halted by weather, and they resumed the game on Thursday at the point where it was suspended. As I type this, the Twins are getting pounded 11-3 in the 8th. Stashak had a brutal outing - 6 H in 2.2IP.

They'll take a 30-min break and then play the regularly-scheduled game later today.
I prefer the rules now. It always found it weird that games would start over. It was a waste of time to just start over.

I knew this was adopted in 2020 and carried over into 2021 with COVID adjustments. I did not know they stuck with it in 2022.

Baseball you cant swing at a 3-0 pitch in a blowout. Also baseball here’s a position player pitching.

Baseball you cant swing at a 3-0 pitch in a blowout. Also baseball here’s a position player pitching.
Run differential plays into the formula to decide tie-breakers now. There's no longer going to be Game 163's. It's unlikely that a few runs will make a big difference, but theoretically it could. No one should be complaining about stealing up 6 or swinging at a 3-0 count up 10. Just keep playing. If a team wants to risk injuries by letting guys steal bases up a bunch, then so be it.

Hate to say it but, this to me is an important game, as this is the level of comp we'd face in the playoffs.
That being said hopefully Winder will continue with his stellar start and get us off the snide.

Run differential plays into the formula to decide tie-breakers now. There's no longer going to be Game 163's. It's unlikely that a few runs will make a big difference, but theoretically it could. No one should be complaining about stealing up 6 or swinging at a 3-0 count up 10. Just keep playing. If a team wants to risk injuries by letting guys steal bases up a bunch, then so be it.
I just don’t like what it says to the people that paid money to watch them in person or on tv. Sorry we sucked so bad, but so we can be more competitive in the next game we are going to save our bullpen. Teams should be forced to provide some sort of compensation to ticket holders when a position player pitches.

Agreed. While last night was bad, he has stuff. Unlike Bundy's 89 MPH slop. Archer needs to stop being a human rain delay though. Not only was he not throwing strikes he was taking a ridiculous amount of time between pitches. Let's go.
I kept yelling at the TV, "Just throw the ball Archer and trust it."

His slow pace makes it tough to play D behind him and his glaring in at the umps can cause them to squeeze the zone - no one like to be shown up.

Interesting article with some good points - thanks for posting.

Important to me FWIW -

Larnach's D has been impressive as has his O (.313 AVG/.813 OPS) this year - man he looks so much more confident and like he knows he belongs.

The article didn't mention that he is tied for 2nd in the AL in outfield assists with 3 and only played in 22 games. I think we have our LF for the foreseeable future. This effects other teams' approach on the bases and can make a difference in close games; he has great mechanics and is accurate and with the scouting reports now, you don't need to have a Dwight Evans cannon to be effective.

No, I don't think the front office is Billy Beane level smart, but building your team around your strengths is what you should do - see KC a few years ago and how they constructed their roster - Jusin gave a good accounting of it during the KC series. If I had Buck in the Center with a plus RF in Kepler, I'd want fly ball pitcher too, just as I'm sure you would. This coalesced with a "deader ball" this year, so both planning/roster construction and the "deader ball" can come together to give the Twins a good staff thus far - both can be true and as in most things in life IMO, its not a binary choice. I hope the staff stays in the Top 5 of walks allowed as that will make a fun summer of watching - we were second in walks allowed before this series behind the Dodgers and the good ERA follows the walks in my experience.

Interesting article with some good points - thanks for posting.

Important to me FWIW -

Larnach's D has been impressive as has his O (.313 AVG/.813 OPS) this year - man he looks so much more confident and like he knows he belongs.

The article didn't mention that he is tied for 2nd in the AL in outfield assists with 3 and only played in 22 games. I think we have our LF for the foreseeable future. This effects other teams' approach on the bases and can make a difference in close games; he has great mechanics and is accurate and with the scouting reports now, you don't need to have a Dwight Evans cannon to be effective.

No, I don't think the front office is Billy Beane level smart, but building your team around your strengths is what you should do - see KC a few years ago and how they constructed their roster - Jusin gave a good accounting of it during the KC series. If I had Buck in the Center with a plus RF in Kepler, I'd want fly ball pitcher too, just as I'm sure you would. This coalesced with a "deader ball" this year, so both planning/roster construction and the "deader ball" can come together to give the Twins a good staff thus far - both can be true and as in most things in life IMO, its not a binary choice. I hope the staff stays in the Top 5 of walks allowed as that will make a fun summer of watching - we were second in walks allowed before this series behind the Dodgers and the good ERA follows the walks in my experience.
I agree completely if the baseball is dead and you have the outfield / stadium you do sign my up for all the fly ball pitchers you can.

I just can’t buy anything this front office is selling after the previous pitchers they signed and tried to rescue. The best one was Anibal Sanchez in 2018 and they cut him before they broke camp. He then went on to help the Braves. It’s just 36 years of Minnesota defeat that I can’t see the hood anymore.

I still say the Tsuyoshi Nishioka that the twins signed was not the same guy they scouted. It had to be an imposter based on how he turned his first double play.

Last edited:

It's safe to say the Astros series didn't go as planned.

Ooof.

Win Twins!!

One thing I'd like to see more of is the Twins playing some small ball. I've seen a lot of double plays where we have a guy on 1st, no outs, and the game is close. Can we bunt ever?

There have even been situations where the guys up weren't exactly swinging well at the time (Kepler, Kiriloff) AND they had a shift on.

If the balls actually are weaker and flying less far can we please try a little small ball seeing as we're only scoring a few runs a game most days?

One thing I'd like to see more of is the Twins playing some small ball. I've seen a lot of double plays where we have a guy on 1st, no outs, and the game is close. Can we bunt ever?

There have even been situations where the guys up weren't exactly swinging well at the time (Kepler, Kiriloff) AND they had a shift on.

If the balls actually are weaker and flying less far can we please try a little small ball seeing as we're only scoring a few runs a game most days?
They need to at least hit and run once in a blue moon as well

well, that game Friday was interesting. Twins' bats finally break out, and the pitching staff tries to give it away.

I saw a tweet today - I assume it's accurate - that
Twins Starting pitchers have now thrown 146.2 IP this season, while Relief pitchers have thrown 135.1 IP.

they have to find a way to get some longer outings by the starting pitchers. Hey, I'm not asking for 7 or 8 innings every start - but a few outings that go at least 6 innings would be nice.

well, that game Friday was interesting. Twins' bats finally break out, and the pitching staff tries to give it away.

I saw a tweet today - I assume it's accurate - that
Twins Starting pitchers have now thrown 146.2 IP this season, while Relief pitchers have thrown 135.1 IP.

they have to find a way to get some longer outings by the starting pitchers. Hey, I'm not asking for 7 or 8 innings every start - but a few outings that go at least 6 innings would be nice.

My guess is they will look to stretch them out as the season moves along and we’re being ultra conservative on their outings the first quarter of the season, due to the truncated spring training.

Top Bottom