All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

Back to the championship talk. Here are my thoughts for 6A.

Rosemount - cannot play one-dimensional and win this game. Will need to have at least the threat of a passing attack. Can their defense play to form against the most versatile offense they have faced.

Maple Grove - Key will be to get an early lead to force Rosemount into a style of play they do not like on offense. Limit big plays and force Rosemount into long drives to score.

Absent turnovers that could swing the game, I see a low scoring affair. I look for MG having just enough to win this in a close game.
My favorite topic MNPete!

Rosemount - do they "not like" to open up or is it because they haven't had to? When they had to open up it looked pretty impressive against Prior Lake. That said they were losing to Lakeville South and stayed with the T and slammed it down the field at nut-cracking time. Their defense is very good, we will find out how fast.

Maple Grove - They are physically tougher than some gave them credit for and may be too much for Rosemount. They may be able to overwhelm them with athleticism and muscle? I don't think Rosemount will score cheap points against them like they have on special teams the last couple games.

Last edited:

Big money being spent but I am not sure the return on that is all that great. Families can drop thousands on training and coaching and yet the percentage of kids that are going to progress past the high school level is very small and the ones that are going to actually be in a position to see any sort of financial return on the investment is very very very small.

It is what it is, but the hyper-competitive nature around sports has really sapped a lot of the fun out of it at the lower levels.
100%

Returns are impossible to calculate and that is what most of these academies and training facilities like. Peer pressure (peer-parent pressure) keeps enrollment up because if Johnny's family is doing it, we're sure as heck doing it, otherwise our child be "behind" come tryout season.

In my experience so far with travel/club sports, the sweet spot is to be the team just below the top team. It's still a competitive experience, kids can learn and develop at their skills, the top 1/3 of the roster is usually interchangeable with the bottom 1/3 of the roster of the top team, and all involved (parents/coaches/fans) are typically a little more chill.

Even at 6A when you have more kids sometimes you just have to get as much as you can out of your best guys. Superior athletic ability sometimes carries the day.
Agree - I think when you get into the playoffs, especially deeper in the playoffs it happens where kids play both ways more of the time. At the end of the day, it is still high school. Your best CB is also your best WR and your best LB is also your best TE.

Agree - I think when you get into the playoffs, especially deeper in the playoffs it happens where kids play both ways more of the time. At the end of the day, it is still high school. Your best CB is also your best WR and your best LB is also your best TE.
It's a tough line to draw. At some point even if he's a better player going both ways inevitably wears down a kid and their performance suffers. There were times I wondered how a few of the kids on my son's 5A team who were basically playing the whole game (one played both DE and OT at around 195) could still walk by the end of the night.

My favorite topic MNPete!

Rosemount - do the "not like" to open up or is it because they haven't had to? When they have had to open up it looked pretty impressive during Prior Lake. That said they were losing to Lakeville South and stayed with the T and slammed it down the field at nut-cracking time. Their defense is very good, we will find out how fast.

Maple Grove - They are physically tougher than some gave them credit for and may be too much for Rosemount. They may be able to overwhelm them with athleticism and muscle? I don't think Rosemount will score cheap points against them like they have on special teams the last couple games.
So far Prior Lake is the only team that has managed to take Rosemount out of their comfort zone, and Rosemount responded well to it.

When your D can hold teams to 10 points or less in nearly every game the offense doesn’t have to get crazy. Just do what they do and grind away.

So far Prior Lake is the only team that has managed to take Rosemount out of their comfort zone, and Rosemount responded well to it.

When your D can hold teams to 10 points or less in nearly every game the offense doesn’t have to get crazy. Just do what they do and grind away.
It looks like it's just us MNVCGUY.

I am excited for this week. Does defense win championships? We will find out.

Does Rosemount have an answer for the Maple Grove quarterback #9?
Does Maple Grove have an answer for Rosemount's linebacker #35 and d-lineman #34? Or do they not need to worry because they will pass to open up the run?

It looks like it's just us MNVCGUY.

I am excited for this week. Does defense win championships? We will find out.

Does Rosemount have an answer for the Maple Grove quarterback #9?
Does Maple Grove have an answer for Rosemount's linebacker #35 and d-lineman #34? Or do they not need to worry because they will pass to open up the run?
Friday can't get here soon enough. If I'm being honest, I never dreamed Rosemount would be in this position back when the season started.

So far the Rosemount D has been up for every challenge and I think a big part of that comes from their DC Parc Williams. I like the fact that Parc has had 2 weeks to study Maple Grove, as a former D1 linebacker he knows how to study film and he seems to come up with great plans to have the D ready to go out and shut teams down. Don't sleep on Rosemount's top DB #24. He isn't big but he is a playmaker and has had a number of huge plays in the secondary over the course of the season.

The extra time off was huge for Rosemount as they came out of that EP game banged up. I expect a battle that could go either way and will almost certainly hinge on who makes the fewest mistakes.

OK - here we go. It's finally time for the 2022 Prep Bowl.

The Schedule - all games at US Bank Stadium. Free TV on Channel 45. Free live-stream on the Channel 45 Website.

FRIDAY'S GAMES

1A

Minneota (11-2) vs. Springfield (11-2), 10 a.m.

2A

Barnesville (12-0) vs. Chatfield (12-0), 1 p.m.

4A

Simley (11-1) vs. Hutchinson (11-1), 4 p.m.

6A

Maple Grove (12-0) vs. Rosemount (12-0), 7 p.m.

SATURDAY'S GAMES

Nine-Man

Mountain Iron-Buhl (12-0) vs. Spring Grove (13-0), 10 a.m.

3A

Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton (12-0) vs. New London-Spicer (10-2), 1 p.m.

5A

Elk River (12-0) vs. Mankato West (12-0), 4 p.m.

2 week layoff between games has felt like an eternity. Can't wait to get it going tomorrow night!

2 week layoff between games has felt like an eternity. Can't wait to get it going tomorrow night!

Tomorrow Night?

Hey, I'm looking forward to the Class A game at 10:00am. Minneota plays a physical, power-running style while Springfield is wide open. a fun contrast in styles.

in the 1:00pm game, Chatfield has a QB who is a track star and is (I believe) in 2nd place in all-time MN career rushing yardage.

the lower classes may not get the buzz or the media attention that 5A and 6A receive, but they are often very entertaining games.

(I'm a small-town guy. My home town won the 9-man title in 2008 and it was one of the biggest things that town has ever seen.)

How can Simley, with how fast Inver Grove Heights has been going (constantly seems to be new construction housing there) only be 4A?? They've gotta move up

How can Simley, with how fast Inver Grove Heights has been going (constantly seems to be new construction housing there) only be 4A?? They've gotta move up
Because a lot of inver grove heights is not in the simley district and those kids go to rosemount or Eagan high school

OK - here we go. It's finally time for the 2022 Prep Bowl.

The Schedule - all games at US Bank Stadium. Free TV on Channel 45. Free live-stream on the Channel 45 Website.

FRIDAY'S GAMES

1A

Minneota (11-2) vs. Springfield (11-2), 10 a.m.

2A

Barnesville (12-0) vs. Chatfield (12-0), 1 p.m.

4A

Simley (11-1) vs. Hutchinson (11-1), 4 p.m.

6A

Maple Grove (12-0) vs. Rosemount (12-0), 7 p.m.

SATURDAY'S GAMES

Nine-Man

Mountain Iron-Buhl (12-0) vs. Spring Grove (13-0), 10 a.m.

3A

Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton (12-0) vs. New London-Spicer (10-2), 1 p.m.

5A

Elk River (12-0) vs. Mankato West (12-0), 4 p.m.

I'll probably be watching a college game but the Elk River/Mankato game would be interesting. I love watching the Elk River offense. From the field level, it's almost impossible to see where the ball is going. Maybe the TV cameras from up high would help pick up the hand off.

I have been told when asking this question that it has to do with NOT counting students who are on free and reduced lunch. Could be an urban legend?

I have been told when asking this question that it has to do with NOT counting students who are on free and reduced lunch. Could be an urban legend?
There's a formula. More kids on free lunch lowers your calculated enrollment numbers by the formula. I don't know the formula off the top of my head though.

The data I can find seem to indicate that Simley's enrollment (unadjusted for free/reduced lunch) is between 1100 and 1200, which puts them squarely in 4A for football. Much of the new development going in south and east of the Vikings complex is in the Eagan district so Simley may not be getting the boost it looks like they might.

HS League has a formula which takes total attendance and adjusts it based on the % of families in the district that apply and qualify for free and reduced-price lunch.

I do not know whether the attendance figures listed on the MSHSL website are the 'raw' numbers or the 'adjusted' numbers.

it's next to impossible to find out anything from the MSHSL website.

HS League has a formula which takes total attendance and adjusts it based on the % of families in the district that apply and qualify for free and reduced-price lunch.

I do not know whether the attendance figures listed on the MSHSL website are the 'raw' numbers or the 'adjusted' numbers.

it's next to impossible to find out anything from the MSHSL website.
This is all true. But it has almost nothing to do with the growth of inver grove

Inver grove schools are the east part of the town. The western part of the town where most of the growth is in not in that school district it is in another school district.

The reason inver grove is 4a is because of the number of people that go to school there. It has nothing to do with the municipal population

FWIW - the MSHSL executive board met on Thurs, Dec 1

Saw this item in a summary of the meeting:

10C: Fall Activity Advisory Proposals

Football:

• A proposal has been submitted to seed the Class Nine-Player through Class AAAAA fields prior to the quarterfinal round. Currently, the state tournament quarterfinal matchups are a rotation of geographically connected section opponents. The proposal seeks to seed Nos. 1-8.
now, this is just a proposal. So it has to be reviewed and feedback will be sought from coaches and AD's before any vote could take place. But at least it's on the table.

Because a lot of inver grove heights is not in the simley district and those kids go to rosemount or Eagan high school
Not sure if this is an accurate assessment.

boundries%20inver%20grove.png

You can easily see new construction that's listed at the moment here, for example:
https://www.redfin.com/city/7947/MN/Inver-Grove-Heights/filter/min-year-built=2022

Agree there is definitely some that would fall outside that district, but also seems like a decent amount in.

Minneota beat Springfield in the 1A game.

Chatfield just ran a 2pt conversion to go up 8-7 on Barnesville in the 2A game, 2nd qtr.

You said "a lot", I disproved that. Looks like easily 60+% of the land area is covered by ISD199.

I proved a link showing a decent amount of new construction that is clearly in ISD199. Yes, agree that there is a decent amount to the West of Roberts Trail. But by no means the majority.

My points all stand.

You said "a lot", I disproved that. Looks like easily 60+% of the land area is covered by ISD199.

I proved a link showing a decent amount of new construction that is clearly in ISD199. Yes, agree that there is a decent amount to the West of Roberts Trail. But by no means the majority.

My points all stand.
Lol okay

The reality is, they are a 4a school due to the number of kids at their school whether you like it or not

Or they open enroll. Or they haven't made it to high school yet. Or 1000 other reasons. Hence why I made the first post.

Relax, my guy. TGIF! :cool:

Top Bottom