All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

My guess is they just pull the zip codes. I'm in 55391, which means I have a Wayzata address, even though I live in Minnetonka. That zip code covers parts of all three districts.
In the year 2022, I think it has to be pretty safe assumption that a school district simply has a database of every address of every actual residence within its boundaries??

Here's an interesting piece that details the history of the GV school district. It was really small. I wonder how Brooklyn Center and St. Anthony have managed to stay as standalone districts.

BC should merge with Osseo and SA should merge with MV.

The SA middle and high school share a building, as it is. Not sure on BC, they have a fairly nice high school campus.

Could easily have those kids going to PC and Irondale, respectively.

First of all, I said what I said because it is absolutely correct.

The demographics of present day MG high school and PC high school (attendance areas) are as different as Wayzata and Brooklyn Center.

The question of "should" has no relation whatsoever to the history of how districts came to be what they are today.

100% disagree that schools of such different demographics ought to be governed by the same district.
While school districts consolidate relatively often, especially in rural areas, they don't split. I can't think of one instance where a school district split into multiple districts. Intra-district attendance boundaries yes - those are determined by the school board and leadership. But a new district seceding from another? Not going to ever happen because of what it would do to the tax base.

The closest I can think of was that neighborhood in Edina that is in the Hopkins district, and wanted to secede to go to the Edina district. That didn't happen and for the exact reason I stated above.

In 1963, the Minnesota Legislature required the territorial merger of nonoperating school districts—districts that had no educational facilities and transported students to another district—with districts that operated a school. In 1967, the legislature determined that a school district should have both an elementary and a secondary program. Districts that did not operate a secondary school were given until 1971 to merge with a district that provided K-12 education. During the 1970-71 school year, all but three of the 446 school districts had a full elementary and secondary program.
Based on this, I believe the last new public school district, not formed from consolidation, in the state was St. Michael - Albertville in 1968-69.

Oddly enough, there are still two non-operating districts in Minnesota.

Many were expecting Lamker to get the HC job at Armstrong years ago. The school went in another direction, which is definitely a sliding doors moment for the program. Good to see they’re playing better as of late.
Yep. He was an assistant there and supposedly next in line.

While school districts consolidate relatively often, especially in rural areas, they don't split. I can't think of one instance where a school district split into multiple districts. Intra-district attendance boundaries yes - those are determined by the school board and leadership. But a new district seceding from another? Not going to ever happen because of what it would do to the tax base.

The closest I can think of was that neighborhood in Edina that is in the Hopkins district, and wanted to secede to go to the Edina district. That didn't happen and for the exact reason I stated above.

Thanks for the link.

I understand the arguments made against the move.

I think the neighborhood's push for new legislation was too broad. Here is one way that seems reasonable to me that could specialize it: if your neighborhood is physically located in a city that is majority served by the district you wish to relocate into, you are allowed to do so without the permission of your current district.

That nieghborhood is physically in Edina, which -- obviously -- is majority served by the Edina district. Therefore, in that special case, MN law should allow them to leave for the Edina district, regardless what Hopkins district wants, and for any reason they desire.

With such narrow rules, there would be very few moves like this.

All that said, my proposal above wouldn't be able to apply to what I was talking about before with that MG should not be the same district as Osseo and PC.

All that said, my proposal above wouldn't be able to apply to what I was talking about before with that MG should not be the same district as Osseo and PC.
But there's no way that would ever happen, because the Osseo district would lose a huge amount of tax revenue. The board would never vote to allow it and if put to a referendum, it would fail because 2/3 of the district (Osseo and PC attendance areas) would likely vote against it.

I do get what you're saying. There are a ton of school districts that make no sense whatsoever, but unless there was some huge legislative push to change things, they never will.

The other reason the Hopkins - Edina thing is unique, is Edina is fairly full and as such, can limit open enrollment. I know a few people who live on or close to a school district boundary, and most can choose the school they send their kids to because neither is full.

But there's no way that would ever happen, because the Osseo district would lose a huge amount of tax revenue. The board would never vote to allow it and if put to a referendum, it would fail because 2/3 of the district (Osseo and PC attendance areas) would likely vote against it.

I do get what you're saying. There are a ton of school districts that make no sense whatsoever, but unless there was some huge legislative push to change things, they never will.

The other reason the Hopkins - Edina thing is unique, is Edina is fairly full and as such, can limit open enrollment. I know a few people who live on or close to a school district boundary, and most can choose the school they send their kids to because neither is full.
All of this boils down to wealthy neighborhood property taxes subsidizing the rest of the district.

The following is likely very radical and I suspect no state has ever done anything like this, so it likely won't be happening any time soon if ever: all funding for K-12 public schools is collected at the state level and each student in the state gets attached $X of funding that goes with them to whichever public school they enroll at.

In the year 2022, I think it has to be pretty safe assumption that a school district simply has a database of every address of every actual residence within its boundaries??
If you recruit a kid to open enrollment the school gets extra state money

Meaning don’t just recruit your own neighborhood.
Hell, Minnetonka high school has paid advertisements in the MN state orchestra programs to try to attract violin players from all over the metro

Last edited:

Rosemount's D led by former Gopher Parc Williams pitches a shutout in a blowout win over Farmington last night. Rosemount scored more points last night (49) than they have given up in 6 games this season total (38).

Rosemount's D led by former Gopher Parc Williams pitches a shutout in a blowout win over Farmington last night. Rosemount scored more points last night (49) than they have given up in 6 games this season total (38).
Yeah rosemount is the favorite.
Maple grove number one but rosemount has beaten Lakeville South and Eden prairie. Maple grove best two wins Minnetonka and centennial

Yeah rosemount is the favorite.
Maple grove number one but rosemount has beaten Lakeville South and Eden prairie. Maple grove best two wins Minnetonka and centennial
6A is going to be wide open this year, bunch of good teams no truly great teams. In spite of how they played last night, Rosemount's offense hasn't been great this year but when the D isn't giving up points the offense just has to do enough.

Will be fun to see how it all shakes out in a few weeks when the playoffs get going.

Rosemount should be #1 after this week. Maple Grove barely beat Wayzata and hasn't beaten anyone in top 10. Unless people think Northern Burb football is superior to Southern, Rosemount should bet the nod. Still, I doubt Rosemount will beat Eden Prairie or Lakeville South in the playoffs unless they unleash some trick plays or a passing game. Their offense is too one dimensional and while you can get away with that in HS, eventually it will bite you against better teams.

Rosemount should be #1 after this week. Maple Grove barely beat Wayzata and hasn't beaten anyone in top 10. Unless people think Northern Burb football is superior to Southern, Rosemount should bet the nod. Still, I doubt Rosemount will beat Eden Prairie or Lakeville South in the playoffs unless they unleash some trick plays or a passing game. Their offense is too one dimensional and while you can get away with that in HS, eventually it will bite you against better teams.
I think it’s funny you think rosemount can’t beat south or EP without a passing game when they already did. Especially considering south and EP don’t have passing games either

Curious why you don't think Rosemount can't beat EP or South in the playoffs when they held both to 7 points in their regular season matchups.

Rosemount may have found something in the passing game last night against Farmington with their #2 QB. He made some really nice throws albeit against a softer D.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Rosemount beat South without their starting RB and beat Eden Prairie with some good stops and some great punting. While these results could be repeatable, my thoughts are that without some offensive diversity (Eden Prairie and South both are run dominant, but still pass more than Rosemount) they that are putting too much pressure on their defense. If they play from behind they won't be able to catch up and need their defense to hold good teams to 7 pts to win is tough. Not saying they can't win, but there odds of winning a State title go up tremendously if they add a little more balance (I know their coaches feel the same). Hopefully, they found something against Farmington. I think they are the team to beat in the state at 6A right now and agree playoffs will be fun.

Rosemount beat South without their starting RB and beat Eden Prairie with some good stops and some great punting. While these results could be repeatable, my thoughts are that without some offensive diversity (Eden Prairie and South both are run dominant, but still pass more than Rosemount) they that are putting too much pressure on their defense. If they play from behind they won't be able to catch up and need their defense to hold good teams to 7 pts to win is tough. Not saying they can't win, but there odds of winning a State title go up tremendously if they add a little more balance (I know their coaches feel the same). Hopefully, they found something against Farmington. I think they are the team to beat in the state at 6A right now and agree playoffs will be fun.
With all due respect, nearly every team has found something against Farmington this year. I think 6A is really wide open depending on the day. People have focused on the south metro for good reason but Maple Grove has won despite some significant injuries this year to key players. They will be a tough out this year as they were last year.

With all due respect, nearly every team has found something against Farmington this year. I think 6A is really wide open depending on the day. People have focused on the south metro for good reason but Maple Grove has won despite some significant injuries this year to key players. They will be a tough out this year as they were last year.

I think there are 7 - 8 teams that have a legitimate shot of putting the games together necessary to win a title. I think with the defense Rosemount has gives them a better shot than most, but they are far from a complete team. Maple Grove is solid (not overly familiar with their team, but see the results) and I have no problem with them being ranked #1, but think Rosemount has done more. Playoff will be fun this year with no clear runaway team.

Rosemount passes the Eye Test for #1, Maple Grove doing work as well. They could be on a collision course.

Hansen played in the Rosemount/South game.

But I agree that there are a number of teams that could come out on top in 6A and there is not a clear cut dominant team.

Hard to know anything about maple grove because they haven’t played anyone in the top 12 or so yet

Hard to know anything about maple grove because they haven’t played anyone in the top 12 or so yet
I am not sure how you can say that. Centennial and Minnetonka are both teams that Maple Grove has beaten and both are top 12 or at least should be. Time will tell I guess. Just remember that people downplayed the north metro last year and STMA, Wayzata, and MG all made final 8, STMA and MG in final 4, and of course MG in the championship. Next month should be pretty exciting football for a number of teams.

My son and I went to the Wayzata - Blaine game tonight. Pretty small crowd, it was cold out there. We left at the beginning of the 4th when Wayzata went up 35-7. The Trojans looked really good tonight. They're a better team than their record indicates.

I am not sure how you can say that. Centennial and Minnetonka are both teams that Maple Grove has beaten and both are top 12 or at least should be. Time will tell I guess. Just remember that people downplayed the north metro last year and STMA, Wayzata, and MG all made final 8, STMA and MG in final 4, and of course MG in the championship. Next month should be pretty exciting football for a number of teams.
Neither centennial nor Minnetonka are teams I would consider in the top 10

People didn’t downplay the north metro last year. I disagree with that

Neither centennial nor Minnetonka are teams I would consider in the top 10

People didn’t downplay the north metro last year. I disagree with that
In the AP rankings going into tonight's games, in class 6A, Centennial was 8th, and Minnetonka was 11th.

1. Maple Grove
2. Rosemount
3. Stillwater
4. Shakopee
5. Eden Prairie
6. Lakeville South
7. Prior Lake

8. Centennial
9. Forest Lake
10. Woodbury
Also receiving votes: Minnetonka, East Ridge, White Bear Lake.

Centennial beat Minnetonka 8-7 tonight in what had to be an awful, awful game to watch.

And Hopkins loses 50-0. They play Lakeville South this Wednesday. LS could literally hang 100 points on them. I don't see how Hopkins doesn't petition to move down when districts are redrawn for next year.

I have to think Totino-Grace moves back down to whatever class would be based on their enrollment. They aren't competitive at 6A.

Last edited:

Rosemount takes down Prior Lake 27-17 in a game that was much closer than the score would indicate. Prior Lake led 14-12 at half and 17-12 at the end of 3 before Rosemount pulled ahead in the 4th.

Owusu didn't stand out a ton although he did have one nice sack. Got called for a facemask that actually might have been more of a horse collar. Big dude but Rosemount did a good job not letting him be a major factor.

Johnson is another good sized high school player. Prior Lake had a lot more success running the ball than most teams do against Rosemount and guessing Johnson was a big part of that. He has a mean streak, apparently has been called for a number of personal fouls on the season.

Rosemount sits at 7-0 with wins over South, EP, and Prior Lake in what has been a brutal schedule.

So of the top ten I posted above, it looks like only Shakopee and Prior Lake lost, and they both lost to other top ten teams, so going into the last regular season game, it's probably just going to be a minor shuffling of the top ten.

It should be noted that Rosemount brought in QB2 that ignited a passing game (kid did great against Farmington as well) and let to 15pts in Q4. Looks like they could go to rotating QB's as playoffs begin. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. With that added to a great defense, don't see how they don't take #1 spot.

It’s all pretty predictable.

Hopkins, Burnsville, osseo are the new park center, Richfield, Bloomington

You can still win at some of these places but due to demographics it is going to be extremely difficult to be consistent. And for that same reason it is going to be harder to attract and keep assistant coaches
Another problem with Hopkins is their youth programs get decimated because many of those youth players are students or future students at Breck, Blake, and Benilde.

Top Bottom