All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

Another problem with Hopkins is their youth programs get decimated because many of those youth players are students or future students at Breck, Blake, and Benilde.
Yup
Same issue for Bloomington’s, two rivers, St. Louis park

It should be noted that Rosemount brought in QB2 that ignited a passing game (kid did great against Farmington as well) and let to 15pts in Q4. Looks like they could go to rotating QB's as playoffs begin. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. With that added to a great defense, don't see how they don't take #1 spot.
I won't be surprised if the young kid becomes the starter. He adds a whole different element to the offense with his ability to sling it and is actually a good runner as well. Only a 10th grader but he has been impressive the past 2 weeks.

Another problem with Hopkins is their youth programs get decimated because many of those youth players are students or future students at Breck, Blake, and Benilde.
And Minnetonka. 37% of grade school students in the Minnetonka district are open enrolled from other districts, and I suspect a large number of that is kids from Hopkins. Almost everyone I know who lives in the Hopkins district has open enrolled into Minnetonka.

I don't know that private schools have much effect on youth programs. At least in Wayzata, about 25% of the football team I helped coach was kids from private schools. Heritage, Redeemer, St. Barts. Granted, if those kids go to Providence or West Lutheran or Blake, then that's feeding those schools' programs.

Rankings from the last State Poll with updated records and results of week #7

CLASS 6A
1. Maple Grove (8) 7-0 (won 30-0 over St. Michael-Albertville)
2. Rosemount (1) 7-0 (won 27-17 over Prior Lake)
3. Stillwater 7-0 (won 35-7 over Mounds View)
4. Shakopee 5-2 (lost to Lakeville South)
5. Eden Prairie 5-2 (won 42-16 over Edina)
6. Lakeville South 5-2 (won 28-10 over Shakopee)
7. Prior Lake 4-3 (lost to Rosemount)
8. Centennial 5-2 (won 8-7 over Minnetonka)
9. Forest Lake 6-1 (won 47-14 over Roseville)
10. Woodbury 6-1 (won 55-0 over Hopkins)

CLASS 5A
1. Mankato West (8) 7-0 (won 42-0 over Northfield)
2. St. Thomas Academy (2) 7-0 (won 42-7 over Apple Valley)
3. Elk River 7-0 (won 58-29 over Alexandria)
4. Robbinsdale Armstrong 6-1 (lost to Chaska 14-7)
5. St. Francis 7-0 (won 48-0 over Big Lake)
6. Mahtomedi 6-1 (won 38-13 over Simley)
7. Chanhassen 6-1 (won 21-10 over Holy Angels)
8. Rochester Mayo 6-1 (won 57-26 over Austin)
9. Sauk Rapids-Rice 6-1 (won 33-20 over Moorhead)
10. Waconia 5-2 (won 55-7 over St. Louis Park)

CLASS 4A
1. Stewartville (7) 7-0 (won 41-0 over Winona)
2. Hutchinson (1) 6-1 (won 40-7 over Delano)
3. Simley (1) 6-1 (lost to Mahtomedi)
4. Mound Westonka 7-0 (won 42-0 over St Paul Central)
5. Becker (1) 6-1 (won 49-0 over St. Cloud Apollo)
6. Marshall 7-0 (won 14-6 over Jordan)
7. Grand Rapids 7-0 (won 50-0 over Rock Ridge)
8. North Branch 5-2 (lost to Hermantown 21-18)
9. Willmar 5-2 (lost to Chisago Lakes 42-48)
10. Rocori 5-2 (bye)

CLASS 3A
1. Esko (8) 7-0 (won 54-0 over Aitkin)
2. Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton (2) 7-0 (won 47-0 over Fergus Falls)
3. Dassel-Cokato 6-1 (won 28-14 over Litchfield)
4. Rochester Lourdes 6-1 (won 28-15 over Zumbrota-Mazeppa)
5. Cannon Falls 6-1 (won 80-13 over Pine Island)
6. Waseca 6-1 (won 47-0 over Worthington)
7. Milaca 6-1 (won 40-28 over Zimmerman)
8. Watertown-Mayer 6-1 (won 49-12 over Holy Family)
9. Minneapolis Henry 6-1 (lost to Breck 21-16)
10. New London-Spicer 6-1 (won 35-12 over Glencoe-Silver Lake)

CLASS 2A
1. Chatfield (9) 7-0 (won 35-0 over Triton)
2. Minneapolis North (1) 7-0 (won 38-0 over Washburn)
3. Barnesville 7-0 (won 56-0 over Staples-Motley)
4. Jackson County Central 7-0 (won 12-7 over Pipestone)
5. Caledonia 6-1 (won 46-14 over St. Charles)
6. Eden Valley-Watkins 7-0 (won 38-7 over Pierz)
7. Kimball Area 7-0 (won 24-14 over BOLD)
8. St. Clair/Mankato Loyola 7-0 (won 21-0 over Medford)
9. Pipestone Area 5-2 (lost to JCC)
10. Blue Earth Area 6-1 (won 52-21 over Norwood-Young America)

CLASS 1A
1. BOLD (7) 6-1 (lost to Kimball Area)
2. Lester Prairie (2) 7-0 (won 16-0 over Mayer Lutheran)
3. Mahnomen/Waubun 7-0 (won 38-0 over Menahga)
4. Fillmore Central 7-0 (won 66-14 over Wabasha-Kellogg)
5. Deer River (1) 7-0 (won 52-6 over Mille Lacs)
6. Mayer Lutheran 5-2 (lost to Lester Prairie)
7. Minneota 6-1 (won 45-12 over Canby)
8. Martin Co. West 6-1 (lost to Springfield 14-8)
9. Lakeview 6-1 (won 70-0 over Lac Qui Parle Valley)
(tie) New York Mills 6-1 (won 32-18 over Parkers Prairie)

NINE-MAN
1. Wheaton/Herman-Norcross (6) 7-0 (won 29-8 over Verndale)
2. Lanesboro (1) 7-0 (won 57-30 over Mable-Canton)
3. Fertile Beltrami (2) 7-0 (won 42-12 over Blackduck)
4. Mountain Iron-Buhl 7-0 (won 74-20 over Cook County)
5. Verndale (1) 6-1 (lost to Wheaton/Herman-Norcross)
6. Spring Grove 7-0 (won 41-20 over Kingsland)
7. Renville County West 7-0 (won 46-16 over Nicollet)
8. Kittson Co. Central 7-0 (won 41-12 over B-G-MR)
9. Hancock 6-1 (won 54-18 over Sebeka)
10. Cherry 6-1 (won 73-0 over Ely)

And Minnetonka. 37% of grade school students in the Minnetonka district are open enrolled from other districts, and I suspect a large number of that is kids from Hopkins. Almost everyone I know who lives in the Hopkins district has open enrolled into Minnetonka.

I don't know that private schools have much effect on youth programs. At least in Wayzata, about 25% of the football team I helped coach was kids from private schools. Heritage, Redeemer, St. Barts. Granted, if those kids go to Providence or West Lutheran or Blake, then that's feeding those schools' programs.
I can speak from experience that the hockey program atleast in Hopkins and St. Louis Park is hurt at the high school level because many of their best players end up at the private schools in the area. It’s hard for those public high schools when your best youth players you spent years developing end up at the private schools.

Three-loss Prior Lake should not be ranked 7th.
They won't be. The rankings are the ones that were out heading into the games this past week. The records are updated to reflect what happened on in the Thursday/Friday games. Prior Lake will almost certainly drop some but maybe not a ton since they lost a close game to one of the top teams in the State and their other loses are to EP and South.

I can speak from experience that the hockey program atleast in Hopkins and St. Louis Park is hurt at the high school level because many of their best players end up at the private schools in the area. It’s hard for those public high schools when your best youth players you spent years developing end up at the private schools.
Hopkins and Park have had to combine the girl's program, while Benilde and I assume Blake have their own.

Hopkins and Park have had to combine the girl's program, while Benilde and I assume Blake have their own.
A lot of girls programs are combined. Champlin-Coon Rapids, STMA-Monticello-Annandale, All of Minneapolis, Park Center-Osseo, Two Rivers and all of St. Paul. Even Chaska and Chanhassen are combined and those are relatively wealthy suburban schools.

A lot of girls programs are combined. Champlin-Coon Rapids, STMA-Monticello-Annandale, All of Minneapolis, Park Center-Osseo, Two Rivers and all of St. Paul. Even Chaska and Chanhassen are combined and those are relatively wealthy suburban schools.
OK fair enough. The girls side of the sport in high school is not as well developed/participated as I thought.

OK fair enough. The girls side of the sport in high school is not as well developed/participated as I thought.
Honestly, I was surprised as well when I looked it up.
And yes, Blake and Benilde do have their own teams.

Elk River and St. Francis play Wednesday
1666049005173.png

St Francis?? Goodness, when is the last time (ever?) that they've done anything significant in MN high school football?

Seeing the effects 15-ish years after building a bunch of new homes and getting new families to move there?

Interesting to see how this ranking shakes out the 3 unbeatens.

Stillwater has wins over - Centennial, Forest Lake, East Ridge and White Bear Lake (7, 8, 10, 12)
Rosemount has wins over - Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, and Prior Lake (4, 6, 11)
Maple Grove only has 1 win against anyone in the top 12 on this ranking (#7 Centennial)

Rosemount has Burnsville and Maple Grove has Mounds View to finish the year so baring massive upsets both will finish 8-0.

Stillwater plays Eden Prairie. If Stillwater wins it would make sense for them to be viewed as the #1 team given they would have 5 wins over teams in this top 12. It gets more interesting though if they lose to EP as there is no doubt that Stillwater would have played a far tougher schedule than Maple Grove.

Forest Lake and Woodbury are also hanging out there as 1 loss teams currently but both have had really soft schedules.

Not sure how many (if any) 6A teams will get byes in the first round but will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 6A playoffs will be very interesting without a true favorite and a bunch of teams that all have a shot of coming out on top.

Stillwater has wins over - Centennial, Forest Lake, East Ridge and White Bear Lake (7, 8, 10, 12)
Rosemount has wins over - Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, and Prior Lake (4, 6, 11)
Maple Grove only has 1 win against anyone in the top 12 on this ranking (#7 Centennial)

Rosemount has Burnsville and Maple Grove has Mounds View to finish the year so baring massive upsets both will finish 8-0.

Stillwater plays Eden Prairie. If Stillwater wins it would make sense for them to be viewed as the #1 team given they would have 5 wins over teams in this top 12. It gets more interesting though if they lose to EP as there is no doubt that Stillwater would have played a far tougher schedule than Maple Grove.

Forest Lake and Woodbury are also hanging out there as 1 loss teams currently but both have had really soft schedules.

Not sure how many (if any) 6A teams will get byes in the first round but will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 6A playoffs will be very interesting without a true favorite and a bunch of teams that all have a shot of coming out on top.
Forest Lake could have beat Stillwater. They fumbled inside the 5 at least once in that game.

Forest Lake could have beat Stillwater. They fumbled inside the 5 at least once in that game.
I have a feeling that the parity among the top seeds in 6A is going to be there across the board. First round or two will weed out the bad teams but after that it will probably be wide open.

I have a feeling that the parity among the top seeds in 6A is going to be there across the board. First round or two will weed out the bad teams but after that it will probably be wide open.
Expect low scoring close games as most of the teams don't pass more than 5 times a game. Stillwater is the exception.

Geographic sections are a necessity in 5A, I suppose, but the disparity between sections is remarkable. Three teams from last week's 5A Top Ten (Chanhassen, Waconia, and Mankato West), plus Chaska, which just beat Armstrong, are in the same section. Meanwhile, St. Thomas's toughest section foes are Apple Valley (already beat them 42-7), Hastings (already beat them 48-13, and Kennedy (6-1 but against a very weak schedule).

No 6a teams get byes

No 6a teams get byes
Seemed like there were maybe fewer 6A teams this year so wasn't sure. In the standings I only count 30 teams total in the 4 different 6A conferences.

Seemed like there were maybe fewer 6A teams this year so wasn't sure. In the standings I only count 30 teams total in the 4 different 6A conferences.
I think Coon Rapids and Brainerd have to play 6A when playoffs start.

Stillwater falls to Eden Prairie leaving Rosemount and Maple Grove as the 2 unbeatens left in class 6A. Will be interesting to see what the brackets look like when they are released on Friday.

I went to the EP/Stillwater game last night. Stillwater's weak schedule was exposed last night as EP ran up and down the field; EP has 10 minutes plus of possession in the third quarter. I bumped into the former Head coach after the game, now retired. he had two comments: (1) why the hell the black uniforms instead of Pony red, and (2) the team wasn't ready to play against the EP run game.

I feel like it’s hard to gauge the true relative strength of the East Metro teams vs the (North)West/South metro, without many crossover datapoints.

I feel like it’s hard to gauge the true relative strength of the East Metro teams vs the (North)West/South metro, without many crossover datapoints.
Fair comment Gophers_4life. I guess we'll know better in about three weeks. Maple Grove schedule suspect too. As my old ball coach used to say, "That's why you play the game".

Top Bottom