All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Looking forward, I hope Montreal get's a team back in the next round of expansion, though they probably rank behind Las Vegas (angling for the A's) & Nashville. Could come down to Montreal vs Portland.
It would be awesome to bring back the Expos.

As much as I don't like expansion, it would make sense for MLB to get to 32 teams so there's 16 in each league. Hopefully then they go back to two divisions in the AL and NL, 8 teams each.

As much as I don't like expansion, it would make sense for MLB to get to 32 teams so there's 16 in each league. Hopefully then they go back to two divisions in the AL and NL, 8 teams each.
Yes, I would like that as well with 32 teams. 2 Division winners in each League get byes in the playoffs to play WC winners.

FWIW, the story that Reusse was telling was from when he met with Selig in is office for when Milwaukee hosted the All Star Game so that would have been in 2002. I don't think he's making it up. He's been on good terms with Selig going back to the early 70s.

Personally, I do not think Contraction was ever going to happen. Too complicated of a thing to work out with the Players Union. They had just expanded 3 years earlier. I have trouble picturing the Owners giving all that dough back and then some to buy out the Twins & Expos and just ending them.

Relocation on the other hand was certainly a possibility, as the Expos moved to Washington, ironically where the Twins had bailed from in 1961. I do think it would have been tough to move from as big of a market as the Twin Cities, but it just would have taken 1 city to step up with a stadium solution.

Looking forward, I hope Montreal get's a team back in the next round of expansion, though they probably rank behind Las Vegas (angling for the A's) & Nashville. Could come down to Montreal vs Portland.
I'm not accusing Pat of lying, but I'm accusing Bud of exaggerating if not lying at the time. You don't go to court, and then appeal when you lose, if you're not pretty serious about it. The Pohlad's believed there was zero hope of getting a new stadium here. And it still took 5 more years after contraction for it to pass, so you can't really say it worked if it was all a ploy. Same with the attempted sale to the clown in NC.

I'm not accusing Pat of lying, but I'm accusing Bud of exaggerating if not lying at the time. You don't go to court, and then appeal when you lose, if you're not pretty serious about it. The Pohlad's believed there was zero hope of getting a new stadium here. And it still took 5 more years after contraction for it to pass, so you can't really say it worked if it was all a ploy. Same with the attempted sale to the clown in NC.
That's fair.

I just think if MLB would have bought the Pohlad's out, they would have moved the franchise themselves and found a new Owner. Purely speculative.

ah, the "Twins are moving to North Carolina" deal. some history:

1997 AP story:
Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad says a draft of a final agreement to sell the team to a North Carolina group has been prepared and that he expects to sign it, a Minnesota newspaper reported today.
The Twins moved closer Tuesday to finding a new home in North Carolina when baseball appointed a five-man committee to guide the team through the sport’s relocation rules.
The Minnesota Legislature last week defeated a proposal to finance a new ballpark, and Pohlad has an agreement with North Carolina businessman Don Beaver to negotiate a sale unless stadium financing is approved by Nov. 30.
``It’s all changed as a result of the Legislature turning down the stadium,″ Pohlad told the Pioneer Press. ``We have an agreement, we have a firm agreement ... We have to live up to that.″
If he buys the Twins, Beaver has said he would apply to move the team to North Carolina following the 1998 season.

and this on where the team would allegedly have played: (from a fan site)

the plan was to have them play full-time in Kernersville, a town halfway in-between the mid-sized cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. While technically this town of about 20k is a suburb of the two, it also in many ways feels like a town nowhere near a decent sized city. So why here? The idea was to have a team in-between the two largest metros in the state, as well as to put the Triad region more or less on the map w/ a permanent major league team of their own.

1997 AP story:
Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad says a draft of a final agreement to sell the team to a North Carolina group has been prepared and that he expects to sign it, a Minnesota newspaper reported today.
The Twins moved closer Tuesday to finding a new home in North Carolina when baseball appointed a five-man committee to guide the team through the sport’s relocation rules.
The Minnesota Legislature last week defeated a proposal to finance a new ballpark, and Pohlad has an agreement with North Carolina businessman Don Beaver to negotiate a sale unless stadium financing is approved by Nov. 30.
``It’s all changed as a result of the Legislature turning down the stadium,″ Pohlad told the Pioneer Press. ``We have an agreement, we have a firm agreement ... We have to live up to that.″
If he buys the Twins, Beaver has said he would apply to move the team to North Carolina following the 1998 season.

the plan was to have them play full-time in Kernersville, a town halfway in-between the mid-sized cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. While technically this town of about 20k is a suburb of the two, it also in many ways feels like a town nowhere near a decent sized city. So why here? The idea was to have a team in-between the two largest metros in the state, as well as to put the Triad region more or less on the map w/ a permanent major league team of their own.

Yep. The Legislature called Pohlad's bluff on that one.

That whole thing was actually pretty funny. If I remember right, there was an entire charade built around Sid, Pohlad, et al saying, "I'm flying down to North Carolina to sign these papers! Once I do, there's no turning back! Kiss your Twins good-bye forever!"

To which the Legislature replied (in effect), "Hey, have a safe trip, Carl!"

That whole thing was actually pretty funny. If I remember right, there was an entire charade built around Sid, Pohlad, et al saying, "I'm flying down to North Carolina to sign these papers! Once I do, there's no turning back! Kiss your Twins good-bye forever!"
Hope Carl nabbed a Silver Butterknife Steak 🥩 or two for those efforts.

1997 AP story:

What makes it so sure it was a bluff? There was a referendum in NC to pass the funding for the stadium. It failed. If it had passed, there's nothing I've seen to indicate the move wouldn't have happened.

The Athletic suggested that in lieu of keeping the American/National Leagues they could switch to Eastern/Western Conferences and form Divisions based on geography when they reach 32 teams.

The Twins for example could for example be in a Division with the Brewers, White Sox and Cubs.

Not sure how I feel about that but my gut says, yuck. Ripping apart 150 years of history (National) and 125 years (American/World Series) does not sit well.

Off topic a bit. I see that Target Field is having a golfing event in June that supposedly has been there before. I had never heard of it. I would think golfers would hit the ball easily out of the park. Anyone know anything about what took place before?

Off topic a bit. I see that Target Field is having a golfing event in June that supposedly has been there before. I had never heard of it. I would think golfers would hit the ball easily out of the park. Anyone know anything about what took place before?

The Minnesota Twins announced that Upper Deck Golf will be returning to Target Field this summer.
The exclusive two-day event is back to give fans of all ages an "exclusive chance to tee off" in the ballpark from June 9 to June 10.
Golfers can enjoy the opportunity to hit shots from Target Field's second and third levels. Those participating can also enjoy food, drinks, music and unique golf challenges at Truly On Deck, located in the clubhouse bar area, according to a press release.

Enjoy a VIP experience while hitting tee shots from the upper deck throughout the stadium, down to custom greens on the field below. You'll start and end your round at the clubhouse festival inside the stadium with great music, cold beers, food and multiple golfing challenges for you and your friends.

Aim for the Target Center. Maybe it will wake them up.

The Minnesota Twins announced that Upper Deck Golf will be returning to Target Field this summer.
The exclusive two-day event is back to give fans of all ages an "exclusive chance to tee off" in the ballpark from June 9 to June 10.
Golfers can enjoy the opportunity to hit shots from Target Field's second and third levels. Those participating can also enjoy food, drinks, music and unique golf challenges at Truly On Deck, located in the clubhouse bar area, according to a press release.

Enjoy a VIP experience while hitting tee shots from the upper deck throughout the stadium, down to custom greens on the field below. You'll start and end your round at the clubhouse festival inside the stadium with great music, cold beers, food and multiple golfing challenges for you and your friends.
Gonna be interesting to see how much the flying golf balls affects the players out in the field.

That means golf balls all over the place. We have to recognize that everyone doesn't hit a straight ball! I'm having trouble visualizing this.

That means golf balls all over the place. We have to recognize that everyone doesn't hit a straight ball! I'm having trouble visualizing this.
I would guess they are using restricted flight, softer balls and nothing more than a pitching wedge allowed, but still could get some "foul balls".

went to the website of the outfit that is putting this on. The art showed people hitting irons from platforms on the upper deck and hitting down to temporary 'greens' down on the field.

so yeah, I don't think they would let people be wailing away with drivers - unless you get points for wacking a ball off the light rail train cars.

oooh - prices starting at $85 per person.

Booooooooo

MLB: “how do we appeal more to kids?”
“Let’s add a ghost runner in extra innings, so it’s more like their own sandlot games!”
“What, kids don’t play baseball anymore, and just sit on their phones all day?”
“Well, let’s keep it anyway, because we don’t want to admit we made a mistake.”

Booooooooo

MLB: “how do we appeal more to kids?”
“Let’s add a ghost runner in extra innings, so it’s more like their own sandlot games!”
“What, kids don’t play baseball anymore, and just sit on their phones all day?”
“Well, let’s keep it anyway, because we don’t want to admit we made a mistake.”
I've begrudgingly accepted the rule. I would prefer if they waited at least until the the 11th inning.

However, the games are so long, bullpens are thin from starters getting yanked so early...just get them over with as soon as possible instead of playing into the wee hours of the evening or late in the afternoon on get away days.

I've begrudgingly accepted the rule. I would prefer if they waited at least until the the 11th inning.

However, the games are so long, bullpens are thin from starters getting yanked so early...just get them over with as soon as possible instead of playing into the wee hours of the evening or late in the afternoon on get away days.
I don't mind the rule, just hate that it's implemented right away in the 10th. I wish they'd wait until the 11th or 12th.

I don't mind the rule, just hate that it's implemented right away in the 10th. I wish they'd wait until the 11th or 12th.
Yeah, even 1 more inning of regular rules would make it more palatable. I am curious if the Auto Runner causes a significant difference in Road or Home team winning.

I want a shootout in the 12th inning.
I know some minor leagues were implementing Home Run Derby to decide games. Ick.

I'll say the same thing I've said about hockey games and shootouts/3 on 3 - why is ending a game in a tie such a horrible thing? I understand wanting to avoid 18 inning games that can put a strain on a team's bullpen (and take 7 hours to finish), but I'd rather end in a tie than decide a game in a weird way like the new extra inning system.

Yeah, even 1 more inning of regular rules would make it more palatable. I am curious if the Auto Runner causes a significant difference in Road or Home team winning.

I know some minor leagues were implementing Home Run Derby to decide games. Ick.

found this on home/road team victories with the ghost runner (or "Manfred Man" if you prefer)

Home teams went 113-103 in extra-inning games last year and are 262-263 in extra innings since the runner on second rule started in 2020, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Home teams were 312-294 in extra-inning games from 2017-19, Elias said.

so last year home teams won 52.3% of extra-inning games. But, in 2020 & 2021, the home team won 48.2% of extra-inning games. from 2017-2019, before the new rule, home teams won 51.4% of extra-inning games.

hard to reach conclusions from a small sample size.

found this on home/road team victories with the ghost runner (or "Manfred Man" if you prefer)

Home teams went 113-103 in extra-inning games last year and are 262-263 in extra innings since the runner on second rule started in 2020, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Home teams were 312-294 in extra-inning games from 2017-19, Elias said.

so last year home teams won 52.3% of extra-inning games. But, in 2020 & 2021, the home team won 48.2% of extra-inning games. from 2017-2019, before the new rule, home teams won 51.4% of extra-inning games.

hard to reach conclusions from a small sample size.
Thanks. Almost exactly 50/50 in the last 3 years, so that's as fair as can be, and I suppose an argument for keeping it.

It's goofy manufactured strategy, but I am intrigued by it. I feel like the Visitors need to play it out like a regular inning, not just sacrifice to play for the single run (unless they have an awful hitter up in the 10th).

Conversely when they fail to score, the Home team then gets the option to do just that and play small ball and win with a bunt & SAC fly.

Rules committee also put new restrictions on when a position player may pitch in a game.

from the AP:

Use of position players as pitchers also was tightened by the committee. They will be limited to extra innings, when a player's team is losing by eight or more runs or is winning by 10 or more runs in the ninth inning. Last year, a position player could pitch only in extra innings or if his team was losing or winning by six or more runs.

Use of position players as pitchers rose from 90 in 2019 to 89 in 2021 and 132 last year, according to the commissioner's office. Use when trailing by six or seven runs increased from eight in 2019 to 16 in 2021 to 28 last year.

Use when leading by six or more runs rose from 1 in 2019 and none in 2021 to 18 last season.

Rules committee also put new restrictions on when a position player may pitch in a game.

from the AP:

Use of position players as pitchers also was tightened by the committee. They will be limited to extra innings, when a player's team is losing by eight or more runs or is winning by 10 or more runs in the ninth inning. Last year, a position player could pitch only in extra innings or if his team was losing or winning by six or more runs.

Use of position players as pitchers rose from 90 in 2019 to 89 in 2021 and 132 last year, according to the commissioner's office. Use when trailing by six or seven runs increased from eight in 2019 to 16 in 2021 to 28 last year.

Use when leading by six or more runs rose from 1 in 2019 and none in 2021 to 18 last season.
It's funny when it happens once or twice but now it's gotten kinda ridiculous.

from the AP:

This will hurt La Tortuga's market value....

Top Bottom