All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

This is a tolerable length. For Correa it's gone from $350 to $313 to $200. Not that he deserves any sympathy, it's still insane.

The Minnesota Twins and star shortstop Carlos Correa agreed to a six-year, $200-million contract with a vesting option that could make the pact worth $270 million, sources told Jeff Passan of ESPN.

The deal is pending a physical.

Correa already agreed to contracts with both the San Francisco Giants and New York Mets this offseason but the deals were never finalized because of a medical issue stemming from a previous ankle injury.

Locking down Correa through his prime is ideal. He'll be 34 when this is up and it also lines up perfectly with Buxton.

Locking down Correa through his prime is ideal. He'll be 34 when this is up and it also lines up perfectly with Buxton.
4/$70 vesting option so it can still go 10 years. But that's a pretty cheap rate for years 7-10.

At first glance, this seems like a reasonable outcome for both the Twins and Correa.

4/$70 vesting option so it can still go 10 years. But that's a pretty cheap rate for years 7-10.
Yeah, I assume things are going pretty well if that vests and by 2029 4 years at $17.5 million probably won't be a huge contract.

I'll take the 6-year contract. I was convinced though that he was going to sign for one year and then start all over again next winter.

At first glance, this seems like a reasonable outcome for both the Twins and Correa.
It's one of those good problems, but Correa went from $350 million guaranteed to $200 million guaranteed. So I don't think it's been a great outcome for him.

I think it's going to end up being a mistake. I also think, coupled with Johnny Cueto signing with Miami today, the chances of Arraez being traded for a middling starter just went way up.

I think it's going to end up being a mistake. I also think, coupled with Johnny Cueto signing with Miami today, the chances of Arraez being traded for a middling starter just went way up.
I wrestled with this one. We can never have enough good pitchers though, particularly an ace.

Per John Heyman on MLB Network -
Mets and Correra have been trying to work on this for the last 2 weeks and the the best the Mets would offer was 6 @ 157 guaranteed vs. Twins 6 @ 200.

They made him an offer he couldn’t refuse

Last edited:

Give them Kepler/Farmer and prospects if you want Lopez. Hands off Arreaz.
I'd give them Lewis, Arraez and Woods-Richardson (plus more if that's what it took to close the deal) for Alcantara.
They've already got about 5 Pablo Lopez-types on the roster.

some details:
no opt-outs.
yearly salaries: $36M, $36M, $36M, $31.5M, $30.5M, $30M. 1st 2 years include $8M signing bonus - split between '23 & '24.

conditional salaries from years 7 through 10: $25M, $20M, $15M, $10M. Year 7 becomes guaranteed with 502 plate appearances in year 6. the additional years can also be vested/guaranteed if Correa earns certain post-season awards (MVP, Silver Slugger, etc)

I'd give them Lewis, Arraez and Woods-Richardson (plus more if that's what it took to close the deal) for Alcantara.
They've already got about 5 Pablo Lopez-types on the roster.
Tough to give up Lewis, but yes, he's an actual ace and under team control through 2026. Lopez is not really an upgrade over Gray/Mahle/Ryan.

According to MLB Network, the ankle has been inspected and deemed to be okay as part of physical
I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that I saw this. But rumor was that teams were more concerned in the 2nd half of those contracts. That it could really effect him 7-10 years down the road or whatever. That could be why teams are now only offering shorter contracts.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that I saw this. But rumor was that teams were more concerned in the 2nd half of those contracts. That it could really effect him 7-10 years down the road or whatever. That could be why teams are now only offering shorter contracts.
The Mets “officially” offered 12, but the last 6 were conditional ( not guaranteed), so he smartly grabbed the extra 42-43M and us now our prodigal son.

Top Bottom