All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

that's what makes the Twins' situation so iffy.

you have to go into the season assuming that Buxton will only be available for 100 games if you're lucky - so you need another CF for the other 62 games or more.

and at SS, Royce Lewis isn't going to be ready until mid-season at the earliest, so the Twins need a starting SS for at least half the season.

but how much money do you want to tie up in part-time players?

putting the roster together is going to be a challenge.
I would much rather spend $$ on a CF'er and play Polanco/Arreaz at SS/2B for 80 games than spend $$ on a SS and play Celistino for 80 games. I just don't think Kiermier is an upgrade anymore.

Once again the Simpsons predicted the future except it was dollar dome dogs and not pretzels.

Whoa!!!!

The Astros - who just won the World Series, have fired their General Manager.

apparently the GM did not get along with the owner of the team.

this is the first time that a World-Series winning team has fired its GM since the 1940's.

Whoa!!!!

this is the first time that a World-Series winning team has fired its GM since the 1940's.

Maybe the Owner was upset it took 6 games to win the World Series instead of 4?

Whoa!!!!

He should hire Derek Falvey ASAP.

I would much rather spend $$ on a CF'er and play Polanco/Arreaz at SS/2B for 80 games than spend $$ on a SS and play Celistino for 80 games. I just don't think Kiermier is an upgrade anymore.

Lol Polanco and Arraez are not good options at SS. Neither is Royce Lewis after two knee surgeries. I don't want Kiermier either, but they need to find a new SS if they can't work something out with Correa.

Lol Polanco and Arraez are not good options at SS. Neither is Royce Lewis after two knee surgeries. I don't want Kiermier either, but they need to find a new SS if they can't work something out with Correa.
Excellent analysis.

i wanted Edwin Diaz...i know the mets shelled out a lot for him but i was hoping they'd invest in a stud reliever instead of a starter who will only throw 80 pitches anyway.

Regardless, He’d have zero interest in playing in MN

Per Shooter:

— Owner Jim Pohlad on the Twins not making a postseason offer to shortstop Carlos Correa before free agency: “In my view, I’m not positive that makes a lot of sense with his agent because the agent’s going to shop it around. We all know the reputation of the agent (high-powered Scott Boras).”

— It’s unclear whether the Twins would receive a compensation draft pick if Correa departs.

Win Twins!!

with Julien and Austin Martin having strong showings in the Arizona Fall league, that at least creates some competition in Spring Training.

Not sure if Martin is a big-league SS - but I suppose he could be a stop-gap measure if necessary. Julien is more of a 2B - probably Polanco's eventual replacement.

with Julien and Austin Martin having strong showings in the Arizona Fall league, that at least creates some competition in Spring Training.

Not sure if Martin is a big-league SS - but I suppose he could be a stop-gap measure if necessary. Julien is more of a 2B - probably Polanco's eventual replacement.

Jorge have one more year on his deal?

I believe so. He and Kepler signed their deals at the same time.

yup - looked it up. 2023 is the last year for Polanco and Kepler. Each player has a Team option for 2024. (about $10-million for each).

Txs. I’m gonna miss him - always played hard and had some great years

I'm sure if the money was right he'd be interested.

Steve Cohen is a legit hedge fund billionaire, he doesn’t lose to bankers.

NYC also has, by far, the largest Puerto Rican population in the US

Polanco's 2024 option will be picked up barring some major injury. Kepler's will not.

Not so sure. Polanco has had a lot of injury issues the last couple of years. I could see this front office saying "thanks" and letting him go. You're talking about $10-million or more for an older player with injury issues, versus minimum salary for a younger guy who looks like a real prospect.

OR - see if he has any trade value for a team looking for a veteran. If they could get a decent prospect in return, I think the Twins make that trade.

Not so sure. Polanco has had a lot of injury issues the last couple of years. I could see this front office saying "thanks" and letting him go. You're talking about $10-million or more for an older player with injury issues, versus minimum salary for a younger guy who looks like a real prospect.

OR - see if he has any trade value for a team looking for a veteran. If they could get a decent prospect in return, I think the Twins make that trade.
2022 was the first time he missed significant time injuries. $10 million for him is a bargain. Zero chance they don't pick up the option unless he suffers something major this season.

The Twins may trade him for something but they won't let him walk for $10 million.

2022 was the first time he missed significant time injuries. $10 million for him is a bargain. Zero chance they don't pick up the option unless he suffers something major this season.
This. 2022 was the first time in his career he’s been on the IL.

*Immediately ducks after posting this*

I said this earlier in the thread and I’ll say it again - if Pagan is back, just burn the whole thing down. At that point it would be blatantly clear the front office knows less about constructing a baseball team than a 15 year old cashier at McDonalds.

I said this earlier in the thread and I’ll say it again - if Pagan is back, just burn the whole thing down. At that point it would be blatantly clear the front office knows less about constructing a baseball team than a 15 year old cashier at McDonalds.
Falvey is a joke. Can't wait until he's gone.

But Pagan has such great "stuff."

In all seriousness I don't understand GM's...if Pagan was let go another team would goggle him up fast. Nobody pays attention to his BEYOND alarming numbers over the past 2.5 years and just sees that his "stuff" is good.

Top Bottom