All Things 2022-2023 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Long Island is first out of the gate with a mid-summer move:

Long Island University has fired men's basketball coach Derek Kellogg after five seasons and hired G League Ignite program manager Rod Strickland as his successor, the program announced Thursday. Strickland is a native of the Bronx and former 1988 first-round draft pick of the New York Knicks. He worked as an assistant at South Florida from 2014 to 2017 before helping spearhead Ignite in its early stages over the past three years.

"Rod Strickland has a demonstrated eye for recruiting and developing student-athletes and we are confident he will elevate Long Island University's winning tradition to even greater heights," Long Island University President Kimberly R. Cline said Thursday in a statement announcing the hire.

Go Gophers!!

Manhattan chimes in days before the season starts:

Manhattan College men's basketball announced today that head coach Steve Masiello is leaving the school after 11 years. He will be replaced for the 2022-23 season by RaShawn Stores who will serve as interim head coach.

Mr. Stores, [30], is in his sixth year with the Manhattan Men's Basketball staff, and his second as an Associate Head Coach. A two-year team captain, he helped the Jaspers to back-to-back MAAC Championships in 2014 and 2015 and 71 total wins.

Said Marianne Reilly, Director of Athletics for Manhattan College, "We thank Coach Masiello for his service and wish him well. As we look to building successful teams for the future -- and with the signing period approaching -- we determined that it is time to begin rebuilding from the top down."

Mr. Masiello, who played under coaches Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith at the University of Kentucky in the 1990s, joined Manhattan as an assistant coach in 2001 and left in 2005 to become an assistant coach under Rick Pitino at Louisville from 2005-2011. He returned to Manhattan as head coach on April 11, 2011. At Manhattan, he achieved a record of 162 wins and 177 losses, winning two MAAC tournaments (2014 and 2015) and taking Manhattan to the NCAA championships, also in 2014 and 2015.

Go Gophers!!

Manhattan chimes in days before the season starts:

Manhattan College men's basketball announced today that head coach Steve Masiello is leaving the school after 11 years. He will be replaced for the 2022-23 season by RaShawn Stores who will serve as interim head coach.

Mr. Stores, [30], is in his sixth year with the Manhattan Men's Basketball staff, and his second as an Associate Head Coach. A two-year team captain, he helped the Jaspers to back-to-back MAAC Championships in 2014 and 2015 and 71 total wins.

Said Marianne Reilly, Director of Athletics for Manhattan College, "We thank Coach Masiello for his service and wish him well. As we look to building successful teams for the future -- and with the signing period approaching -- we determined that it is time to begin rebuilding from the top down."

Mr. Masiello, who played under coaches Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith at the University of Kentucky in the 1990s, joined Manhattan as an assistant coach in 2001 and left in 2005 to become an assistant coach under Rick Pitino at Louisville from 2005-2011. He returned to Manhattan as head coach on April 11, 2011. At Manhattan, he achieved a record of 162 wins and 177 losses, winning two MAAC tournaments (2014 and 2015) and taking Manhattan to the NCAA championships, also in 2014 and 2015.

Go Gophers!!

West Virginia lands MAAC preseason player of the year, averaged 18.9ppg for Manhattan last year. Hopes to be eligible for this season.

John Gallagher chimes in on opening day:

Hartford men's basketball coach John Gallagher resigned from his post Monday. Gallagher, who was set to enter his 13th season with the program and who coached Hartford to its one and only NCAA Tournament appearance in 2021, told CBS Sports he did this because he believed his players would be better off.

"At the end of the day, it's better for the student-athlete experience if I stepped away," Gallagher said. "They will be treated much better now than if I was there. That was the deciding factor. That's the truth."

Gallagher said he informed his team at 2 p.m. on Monday that he was leaving. His highest-ranking assistant is Tom Devitt, who has spent the past decade at the program. Hartford, which is transitioning out of Division I, is yet to name an interim coach.

In a resignation letter to Hartford president Greg Woodward, Gallagher alleges multiple breaches of contract.

Go Gophers!!

Really unfortunate situation for Hartford, the college totally gutted all the funds from the basketball program. When player safety became involved, that was the final straw for Gallagher.

Mike Brey chimes in:

Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey plans to step down at the end of the season, capping a 23-year run in South Bend in which he has become the winningest coach in the men's basketball program's history.

"It has been a great run for me and our program over the past two decades, but it is time for a new voice to lead this group into the future," Brey said in an announcement on Thursday. "I want to thank our student-athletes, assistant coaches and support staff who have played such a key role in the culture we have created."

Brey, one of the most popular members of the coaching fraternity, led Notre Dame to 13 NCAA tournaments, including back-to-back Elite Eight appearances in 2015 and 2016. The Fighting Irish won at least one NCAA tournament game in each of his first three seasons at the helm, including a Sweet 16 run in 2003.

Go Gophers!!

ROFL!!! Holtmann has massively underachieved at OSU taking in consideration the talent that runs through that program.

ROFL!!! Holtmann has massively underachieved at OSU taking in consideration the talent that runs through that program.
Counting 2020 when they were a lock, he's 8/8 making the NCAA tournament as a Power 6 head coach. This year would be his first miss. He's also won 7 NCAA tournament games in that stretch. Massively underachieved is a huge exaggeration. And to say he'd be a massive upgrade for the Gophers is putting it mildly.

Counting 2020 when they were a lock, he's 8/8 making the NCAA tournament as a Power 6 head coach. This year would be his first miss. He's also won 7 NCAA tournament games in that stretch. Massively underachieved is a huge exaggeration. And to say he'd be a massive upgrade for the Gophers is putting it mildly.
Yep, Holtmann "massively underachieved" while we need to be patient with Ben Johnson.

The Gopher basketball program has won a total of 7 NCAA tournament games in the last 30 years.

Yep, Holtmann "massively underachieved" while we need to be patient with Ben Johnson.

The Gopher basketball program has won a total of 7 NCAA tournament games in the last 30 years.

Have either of you guys bothered to check out his recruiting classes? And lol....for as terrible as the Gophers have been this year....his team was the one Big Ten team that the Gophers have managed to beat this year.

Have either of you guys bothered to check out his recruiting classes? And lol....for as terrible as the Gophers have been this year....his team was the one Big Ten team that the Gophers have managed to beat this year.
Yep, I follow recruiting a bit. I am excited about Evans and Christie and I'm excited about their future. I think they should be enough to take us from historically bad to just pretty bad next year.

So you think the fact that our only win was against Ohio State makes Holtmann a worse coach than Ben? LOL. That's maybe the dumbest take any CBJ apologist has ever made. So according to your logic, Ben is better than Holtmann and every other coach in the Big 10 is WAY better than him. Sounds like a ringing endorsement.

By the way, we have the 37th ranked class (one below Rutgers) and Holtmann has the 6th ranked recruiting class. I don't think comparing recruits with Holtmann will help you win this argument, but feel free to keep digging.

Yep, I follow recruiting a bit. I am excited about Evans and Christie and I'm excited about their future. I think they should be enough to take us from historically bad to just pretty bad next year.

So you think the fact that our only win was against Ohio State makes Holtmann a worse coach than Ben? LOL. That's maybe the dumbest take any CBJ apologist has ever made. So according to your logic, Ben is better than Holtmann and every other coach in the Big 10 is WAY better than him. Sounds like a ringing endorsement.

By the way, we have the 37th ranked class (one below Rutgers) and Holtmann has the 6th ranked recruiting class. I don't think comparing recruits with Holtmann will help you win this argument, but feel free to keep digging.

Considering I never said anything of the sort.....why don't you try again?

Last two classes are in the top 10. Before that in the 40s. All better than Minnesota.

Basing your opinion of his coaching ability off of one game instead of an 8 year track record is ridiculous. If Holtmann is fired, he'll have another power 6 job immediately if he wants one. Ben will be an assistant somewhere like San Jose State or St Thomas.

Last two classes are in the top 10. Before that in the 40s. All better than Minnesota.

Basing your opinion of his coaching ability off of one game instead of an 8 year track record is ridiculous. If Holtmann is fired, he'll have another power 6 job immediately if he wants one. Ben will be an assistant somewhere like San Jose State or St Thomas.

I wasn't basing his ability off of one game. I am pointing out that he's consistently bringing in top 100 players in the nation. A few REALLY good recruiting classes. I'd say that he's underachieved with the talent that he's brought in.

Mostly....I'm laughing that people automatically think he'd be a huge upgrade.

I wasn't basing his ability off of one game. I am pointing out that he's consistently bringing in top 100 players in the nation. A few REALLY good recruiting classes. I'd say that he's underachieved with the talent that he's brought in.

Mostly....I'm laughing that people automatically think he'd be a huge upgrade.
His last 3 recruiting classes playing now average about 30th. He made the round of 32 last year. To call it massively underachieving is a stretch. They're having a bad season this year, no doubt. He would still be a massive upgrade for the Gophers just as Tubby was.

His last 3 recruiting classes playing now average about 30th. He made the round of 32 last year. To call it massively underachieving is a stretch. They're having a bad season this year, no doubt. He would still be a massive upgrade for the Gophers just as Tubby was.

He would be a massive upgrade if he brought a bunch of his highly ranked recruits with him....and proceeded to continue recruiting at a similar level as he is at OSU. Otherwise....it's complete nonsense to say he'd be a massive upgrade. We'll know more in a couple of years.

He would be a massive upgrade if he brought a bunch of his highly ranked recruits with him....and proceeded to continue recruiting at a similar level as he is at OSU. Otherwise....it's complete nonsense to say he'd be a massive upgrade. We'll know more in a couple of years.
In the transfer portal era, it's a safe bet he'd bring a couple players with him.

Holtmanns a good coach. I don’t think he’s a great fit at OSU. i think he may jump to ND or Georgetown if they open up. I think he likes the private smaller school

I would not want him and agree he has underachieved…but I don’t think they have insane talent running through there…regardless he is massively underachieving there.

UT Arlington has made a change in year two! Would this be an upgrade for the Gophers @stocker08?

Last edited:

Top Bottom