All Things 2021 Tokyo Olympics Thread

I'll walk back my selfish comment. Guess I just have a hard time believing that the most decorated gymnast in history got psyched out. But she did say it was a weird year, 2020 definitely messed with people's heads.
I think it has to be toughest for Olympic athletes because for most of them they’re only in the limelight once every 4 years.

Crap; Thompson injured in straight set loss to ROC.

TOKYO — Jordan Thompson kept trying, kept testing, kept pushing. She had leapt at the net and landed on a teammates' foot, rolling her ankle. She had sat on the ground, breathing rapidly, cradling her foot, and, minutes later, she was trying to walk on the sideline, pain and frustration etched on her face.

She limped. She tested the range of motion in her ankle by trying to do toe raises. She seemed to be trying to talk her way back into the match.

Thompson then sat on the bench, ankle raised, and a trainer packed ice on the injury before she finally walked out of the arena, limping, one arm around a trainer's shoulders.
[...[
"We will learn more when they do what is standard — take an X-ray and an MRI. I was told we can be somewhat hopeful that she can be back in action in a few days.

"Again, I don't know what that means. I would think that means she's unlikely for Italy and maybe hopeful for something beyond that. I'll know a lot more by the end of today and the first thing tomorrow. It's also important to see how treatments go and how they feel the first thing (Sunday)."

The quarterfinals begin Wednesday. If Thompson doesn't play against Italy on Monday, she would have four full days in which to recover.

I'll walk back my selfish comment. Guess I just have a hard time believing that the most decorated gymnast in history got psyched out. But she did say it was a weird year, 2020 definitely messed with people's heads.
She has a case of the "twisties" and, as far as I can tell, every gymnast understands and supports her decision after hearing that.

For one reason or another, you suddenly have trouble keeping track of where you are in the air. It can be very dangerous considering the risk to land on you head and seriously injure your spine. Kinda like getting the yips in Baseball, except in Baseball you just lose instead of seriously injuring yourself.

The Olympics are awesome. I could watch these types of videos all day.

I don't think this is in the Olympics, but not entirely sure. Either way, what legends:

Go Gophers!!

When do we get the "Why isn't Handball more popular in the US?" articles?

The obvious answer is:

We didn't invent it.

Yesterday's men's 400 m hurdles was amazing. One of those moments when a big matchup lives up to the hype. One dude broke the world record and took a distant third.

I'm not entirely sure if this is an Olympic sport, but if it is, this guy is the Joey Chestnut of whatever sport this is!

Go This Guy!!

I'm not entirely sure if this is an Olympic sport, but if it is, this guy is the Joey Chestnut of whatever sport this is!

Go This Guy!!
I'm almost speechless with those skills. DAMN!!! It's his world, the rest of us are just renting here

College game day needs to come to MN this season just so Gable can be the guest picker. That win was awesome. Getting Gold is great, getting Gold the way he did is awesome. I'm calling it now, Gable and Goldy as guest hosts for Game Day.

Nice to have the olympics end. What was with NBC having a bunch of Brits hosting? Rebecca Lowe???

College game day needs to come to MN this season just so Gable can be the guest picker. That win was awesome. Getting Gold is great, getting Gold the way he did is awesome. I'm calling it now, Gable and Goldy as guest hosts for Game Day.
Yeah, that was a crazy match.

Also cool that Brandon Eggum was his Olympic coach (at least I think that was him behind the mask). Cool that he brought the U coach along. I figured they all just had their own personal coaches.

Well, it should have been Brock Lesnar last time, and he should've body-slammed some poor sap they paid to dress up like Bucky, off the stage into a pit of folding tables below.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Top Bottom