All Things 2021 NCAA College Basketball March Madness Tournament Thread

Loving the tourney, now that my board is junk.

After 30+ years of entering tournament basketball pools, I rarely do anymore for the reason you stated. It's more fun to watch the tournament when you don't have a strong predetermined favorite in every game, you can determine who you prefer as the game goes on, and you don't really care most of the time if your favorite doesn't win.

When will those leagues figure out that more isn't better? I've got a long attention span compared to most people, and I can't pay attention for that long. Before 1985 MLB was a five-game LCS and a seven-game WS. That was so intense! Their solution to un-popularity is to add games and gimmicks, and they're not smart enough to realize that all they're doing is watering it down. Why not just have a two-month season and a five-month playoff where everyone is invited except Pittsburgh?
I think MLB is working toward that. Of course, they would also want to shorten games to 7 innings, start all at-bats with a 2 ball/1 strike count. All ground ball singles (so boring) would be considered outs. And to win, you actually need to hit at least 10 home runs per game. Basically turn it into Slo-Pitch, Beer-League softball for the fans who don't actually like baseball, but like to be able to claim they're baseball fans.

Uh oh. Iowa trailing early. Hard to cheer for them but bigten showing is getting embarrassing.

Yeah, nba needs to figure out how to do single game elim. tourneys. Maybe do two - one at halfway point and one at end of season. Winners of the two tourneys meet in a one game playoff. TV ratings would be epic as every game would be do or die. Unfortunately it will never happen.
The NBA Finals usually get higher ratings than the Final Four and the NBA playoffs higher ratings than the early rounds of the NCAAs.

Count me as someone who thinks that irrelevance is not a money maker. Show me proof that a watered-down product is more profitable.
MLB is on danger of expanding the playoffs so much as to make the regular season irrelevant. But having playoff games on 3-4 networks is more profitable than having them on 2 even if the overall viewership is lower. It's not smart long-term.

Apparently in Iowa, defense hasn't been invented yet.

The NBA Finals usually get higher ratings than the Final Four and the NBA playoffs higher ratings than the early rounds of the NCAAs.

Interesting. That really surprises me.

MLB is on danger of expanding the playoffs so much as to make the regular season irrelevant. But having playoff games on 3-4 networks is more profitable than having them on 2 even if the overall viewership is lower. It's not smart long-term.
Again, show me the numbers.

If Iowa doesn't start to play some defense, they're dead. I can't believe how many open looks they're lazily allowing.

Interesting. That really surprises me.
It's more mixed than I thought. It's hard to compare the early rounds apples to apples because of the NCAA being on 4 channels, but for the highest rated Finals game vs. NCAA Final:

_____NBA NCAA
2019 10.7 11.6
2018 10.4 9.2
2017 13.5 13.2
2016 15.8 10.6
2015 13.4 16.0

I think it would be okay to expand the playoff if they cut the regular season to like 90 games.

It's more mixed than I thought. It's hard to compare the early rounds apples to apples because of the NCAA being on 4 channels, but for the highest rated Finals game vs. NCAA Final:

_____NBA NCAA
2019 10.7 11.6
2018 10.4 9.2
2017 13.5 13.2
2016 15.8 10.6
2015 13.4 16.0
Then consider the NBA games are longer, have more commercials, and they get 4-7 games of that revenue

I think it would be okay to expand the playoff if they cut the regular season to like 90 games.
Sinclaire and Bailly's Sports would never go for that. They need 162 games they can fight with YouTube and Hulu about. Neither would the teams. MLB depends more on in stadium fan revenue than any other sport.

I'm torn on this game.

On one hand, I love to see Fran melt down and hawkeye fans cry.

On the other hand, I do not want to see any further success from the PAC 10 because Bill Walton drives me bonkers and I can't stand his crowing.

Really bad call to call that a flagrant 1 but then allow them to get the pass and dunk afterwards

Seriously this is a travesty to give them the basket 4 seconds after the foul, plus free throws, plus the ball.

I'm torn on this game.

On one hand, I love to see Fran melt down and hawkeye fans cry.

On the other hand, I do not want to see any further success from the PAC 10 because Bill Walton drives me bonkers and I can't stand his crowing.
I'm choosing to let my joy of watching Iowa meltdown win. This is Fran's peak. This was his best team. And look at it. It's all downhill from here, Iowa!

Meanwhile they take away an Iowa layup by calling a travel on Oregon after the turnover

Toussaint has made a few bone-headed plays today including the 3 shot foul at the end of the first have and the dumb charge just now.

Top Bottom