All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The silly non-argument states that because our drafted rookies have played so little, therefore our front office is terrible.

Nevermind all previous years. Nevermind what the averages are like across the league, say for past few years.

Nope, it's this year, in this situation where we already had vets at nearly every position, and signed a bunch of vets.

And after all of that ..... if Darrisaw had been healthy from spring onward, as the Vikings were told he would be, then he starts every snap this season.

Just such a silly, non-argument.

100%

Cousins gets way too much shit. Fact is that Spielman paid a buttload of money to a mostly immobile QB....and put him behind one of the perpetually worst offensive lines in the NFL.
I feel like Case Kneenum was equally immobile? Can't remember now.

He got sacked 22 times (plus Bradford 5 times) in 2017. In 2018, Kirk's first year with mostly the same team around him as 2017, he got sacked 40 times.

OL was different though: we had Remmers at RG, Compton at LG, and O'Neill was in his rookie season in 2018. In 2017, we had Easton at LG, Berger at RG, and Remmers was RT.

That Chris Herndon trade is working out well today. No catches and two large penalties. At least they only gave away a 4th round pick. I’m sure the Jets would have taken two 7th rounders but speilman insisted on one pick and not in such an important round as the 7th.

That Chris Herndon trade is working out well today. No catches and two large penalties. At least they only gave away a 4th round pick. I’m sure the Jets would have taken two 7th rounders but speilman insisted on one pick and not in such an important round as the 7th.
That's ok. He would've picked a player who won't play a single snap in the NFL anyway.

Justin Jefferson has to be getting pissed. Does he ask to get out of this miserable place next year. Or are we luckily and the entire office / coaching staff is changed and they actually play 2021 football not 1985 football.

I feel like Case Kneenum was equally immobile? Can't remember now.

He got sacked 22 times (plus Bradford 5 times) in 2017. In 2018, Kirk's first year with mostly the same team around him as 2017, he got sacked 40 times.

OL was different though: we had Remmers at RG, Compton at LG, and O'Neill was in his rookie season in 2018. In 2017, we had Easton at LG, Berger at RG, and Remmers was RT.

I'd say the exact opposite. The reason we looked good with Keenum is because he was capable of getting out of the pocket when it collapsed. Not to mention that he had a knack for sensing pressure before it got to him. That's the kind of QB we needed to have.

Well.....Joseph somewhat redeemed himself there.

lol @ needing a 54 yard FG to beat the Lions at home.

When will Zim quit taking the foot off the gas and losing/nearly losing games they should easily have won. I think that’s what Cousins said to his with the “celebratory” forearm shiver after the winning kick

Detroit kicked off instead of onside kick because everyone on earth knew Zimmer would run 3 straight times.

Fire Zimmer and Spielman now!

The end of the 1st half was a perfect example of the ineptness of this coaching staff. We got the ball with 37 seconds left and 2 timeouts. You have two top 15-20 WRs and a pretty good QB. We decide to take it into the half instead. Stupid but whatever. We run the ball, let the clock run. Detroit let’s it run also. The clock would just run out and it would be halftime. But instead we hand the ball off once more to Mattison for no reason. If I remember correctly he got it pretty hard on that play. Didn’t get hurt but why do you even run a play there?

And then there’s the 3rd and long screens and the stupid direct snap to Mattison on 3rd and 4. Thankfully for the Vikings the Lions are the Lions.

The end of the 1st half was a perfect example of the ineptness of this coaching staff. We got the ball with 37 seconds left and 2 timeouts. You have two top 15-20 WRs and a pretty good QB. We decide to take it into the half instead. Stupid but whatever. We run the ball, let the clock run. Detroit let’s it run also. The clock would just run out and it would be halftime. But instead we hand the ball off once more to Mattison for no reason. If I remember correctly he got it pretty hard on that play. Didn’t get hurt but why do you even run a play there?

And then there’s the 3rd and long screens and the stupid direct snap to Mattison on 3rd and 4. Thankfully for the Vikings the Lions are the Lions.
Also correct.

The offense at the end of games and halves is garbage. Bad coaching.

Zimmer would rather win 10-7 instead of 35-21.

Heck, he'd rather lose 10-7 instead of win 35-21.

There's rumors that Pittsburgh might want to move on from Mike Tomin and Ben at the same time. If so, give me Tomlin any day.
Can I get in the way-back machine, and go back to 2006 and hire him like they should have?

Or how about just going back two years and hiring Stefanski
After his game plan two weeks ago against the Vikings I’m not sold on him. He’s throwing the ball when all they have to do is run clock. Between his play calling and terrible QB play Cleveland did everything in its power to lose that game.

Spielman has tried to improve the offensive line, he's just missed on a lot of picks.
You could make an argument a few years ago but it's not remotely accurate to say the Vikings haven't spent draft capital to improve the OL. I'm going to reserve judgment on Darrisaw, Davis, or even Cleveland until we can see at least the rest of this season play out.

Top Bottom